Colorful banners for Sep 12 Phone 5 Apple Event now going up

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple has begun wrapping the entrance to the Yerba Buena Center with colorful banners in preparation for its iPhone 5 introduction, suggesting that new multicolored iPods will be part of the event.

The new banners (still being installed, below) evoke the paint-splashed imagery the company used to launch new iPods in previous years at its fall Apple Events, formerly dedicated to its music products through 2010.

Last year, however, Apple delayed the iPhone 4S release to the fall rather than its customary summer introduction date that all initial iPhone releases had through iPhone 4, the last new smartphone to debut at Apple's June Worldwide Developer Conference.

The blockbuster release of the iPhone 4S, alongside iOS 5 and iCloud, last October overshadowed new iPod introductions, which were limited to more affordable pricing, a white edition of the iPod touch, and new features inherited through iOS 5, including iMessage, WiFi sync, Game Center and Notifications.

Apple included the new iPods as a footnote at the iPhone 4S event, as the company's smartphone business has greatly overwhelmed its music player business, which itself had once been Apple's most important market segment after overtaking Mac sales.

The fall release of iPhone 4S helped Apple to dominate the important holiday shopping season and demolished previous launch records for the iPhone.

This year, Apple appears set to replicate last year, with a focus on the new iPhone 5, iOS 6 and new iCloud features and a secondary mention of new iPods that are once again expected to be made available in a range of colors. However, the company has also planned a second fall Apple Event that is expected to introduce a smaller new "iPad mini" tablet.

Inside the event venue, which is scheduled to begin at 10am Pacific Time on September 12, Apple has also installed a corporate logo, still visible through the front windows (as shown top above) but more readily discernible from within the building (above).

Additional progress on the building wrap revealed that the colorful stripes appear to be curtains, with a white Apple logo centered in front of them.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    Hmmm, those colour streaks seem very Retina-ish. I really hope this is not an iMac event. Although the 5 in the invite would point to the iPhone 5 (6th generation for TS)
  • Reply 2 of 62

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

Hmmm, those colour streaks seem very Retina-ish. I really hope this is not an iMac event. Although the 5 in the invite would point to the iPhone 5 (6th generation for TS)

I would absolutely love that at this point. Have this September event be the non-retina, Ivy Bridge iMac sans ODD (plus 13" retina MacBook Pro and new Mac Mini) and the iPhone in October. That would be classic Apple pranksterism taken to logical extremes. image

• Reply 3 of 62
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Coloured iPhones?

I'll take a black one.
  • Reply 4 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I would absolutely love that at this point. Have this September event be the non-retina, Ivy Bridge iMac sans ODD (plus 13" retina MacBook Pro and new Mac Mini) and the iPhone in October. That would be classic Apple pranksterism taken to logical extremes. image

What do you figure the 5 would mean in that case?

• Reply 5 of 62
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    You know a company has an amazing mindshare when banners going up for a convention being held 5 days from now are news across the internet.
  • Reply 6 of 62

Why, 5 products of course! It's obvious.

13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display
    Ivy Bridge iMac
    Ivy Bridge Mac Mini
    6th gen iPhone
    iPad Mini

Trololol. ;)
  • Reply 7 of 62
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Damn, I love when these banners go up. It's the first real, physical, tangible sign of whats coming up soon and makes the whole thing real. Gives me the chills. 

• Reply 8 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

Why, 5 products of course! It's obvious.

13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display

Ivy Bridge iMac

Ivy Bridge Mac Mini

6th gen iPhone

iPad Mini

Trololol. image

I couldn't see them doing the iPad Mini and iPhone in the same event; those are too big to go together. Maybe if you replaced the iPhone with an Apple TV update.

• Reply 9 of 62
    You know what all those colors mean... iPod time!
    I'd love to see a new Classic, but I'm not holding my breath.
  • Reply 10 of 62
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    hill60 wrote: »
    Coloured iPhones?
    I'll take a black one.

How about colored iPod Touches?
  • Reply 11 of 62

5 NEW products!!!  You know they gotta change all the iProducts with the old port to new ports as well as add the new iPhone to the list... AND if they are going to keep the iPhones 4 and 4S in the fold, they need to upgrade the ports on those products as well. So, something called an iPhone 6 still would have legs...

1. New generation iPhone with new port

2. Re-release of iPhone 4 with new port

3. Re-release of iPhone 4S with new port

4. Re-release of New iPad with new port

5. New generation iPod Touch with new port

Discontinuation of all the other iPods due to their mehness...

• Reply 12 of 62

Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

Either a complete dodge or I'm sort of partial to the "five products" route. Even if it IS the iPhone event! 

iPhone, iPod touch, iPod nano, iPod shuffle (all four that 9to5 believes will be updated), and then iTunes as the fifth (remember those "completely redesigned" rumors?). iTunes is a product to Apple. 

So the 6th iPhone, 5th iPod touch (larger screen), new iPod nano (new colors, maybe Wi-Fi, maybe "bigger" like some think), and then the iPod shuffle (supposedly 8 colors now).

And then a new iTunes. I'd love a full UI overhaul there. Something better than we have now, and hopefully the iTunes Store gets some sort of equally good (not different, good) revamp. Subcategories of subcategories of subcategories. Even for movies and music and shows. 

• Reply 13 of 62

you are all totally wrong. 

those are an homage to the old TV test pattern strips. All that talk about delays was false. The Apple TV is real. THAT is what this event is about. The 5 is cause they are going to have 5 sizes. 24, 36, 48, 60 and the super duper Apple TV Pro that is 80 inches and has 4k resolution and glasses free 3D. All with with the Apple TV hardware inside (which is great cause all you can do is use the iTunes Store, Apple TV apps and airplay cause Samsung wouldn't give Apple a licensing deal on the SEPs they need for anything else).

They are also going to launch 3d downloads in the itunes stores. It's only the Disney/Pixar titles (but hey that includes the Avengers) and it's a $10 mark up but aren't we iSheep that will baaa about how great it is. We'll buy anything.

or they mean nothing and are just stupid stripes and a logo and Apple is laughing at all the blogs trying to 'interpret' the banners 

• Reply 14 of 62

Unlikely, the docks were made black and white, expect full black and white iPod Touch Models maybe. And they would be the thinnest iPod Touches ever made... because the screen size increase would make the components inside easier to fit, and thus thinner than ever. if apple would eliminate the 3.5 mm headphone jack and force users to use bluetooth headphones that is. Which is not a problem.

• Reply 15 of 62

Originally Posted by Strat09 View Post

if apple would eliminate the 3.5 mm headphone jack and force users to use bluetooth headphones that is. Which is not a problem.

That's a gargantuan problem.

• Reply 16 of 62
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    strat09 wrote: »
    if apple would eliminate the 3.5 mm headphone jack and force users to use bluetooth headphones that is. Which is not a problem.

You can't foresee any problem with having absolutely no way to plug in headphones into your PMP? None? Nada? Ziltch?
  • Reply 17 of 62
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Discontinuation of all the other iPods due to their mehness...

I still have hope for a sort of Bluetooth iPod Nano Watch. That wouldn't be "meh"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strat09 View Post

Thats an interesting idea, or maybe they'll keep it and give the Touch the "tear-drop" design we've all been hoping for ;)

• Reply 18 of 62
    5 = 5 years of iPhone
  • Reply 19 of 62
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    You can't foresee any problem with having absolutely no way to plug in headphones into your PMP? None? Nada? Ziltch?

Plug? Easy. I have Bluetooth headphones.

But I doubt Apple would drop analog jack, it's too soon.
  • Reply 20 of 62

It's never too soon. And Apple doing it first would be "revolutionary" and everyone would follow. hahaha. But it's not a possibility this year. And it would also give room for one more speaker.