arty farty photoshp question

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    hey der kopf,

with all the time you've been wasting here and tinkering with so-called "free trials," you could have made an alpha mask already from the existing photo!!!!
  • Reply 22 of 24
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    mac's girl, you are right. the thing is though, that I know the person who did the above pic did it in some automised way. my question was at least half posed to find out how to do that if I would want that, for besides a few photos, I don't really have an urgent need for this. A latent need, alright.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    [quote]Originally posted by der Kopf:

<strong>mac's girl, you are right. the thing is though, that I know the person who did the above pic did it in some automised way. my question was at least half posed to find out how to do that if I would want that, for besides a few photos, I don't really have an urgent need for this. A latent need, alright.</strong><hr></blockquote>

latent need... uh huh. why, if i didnt know you any better, i'd say you were trying to find ways to up your post count!

from an artisitic standpoint, i dont like the way that border looks with that particular baby pic. i can see some good uses for it, but personally i wouldnt want to stick it on every photo.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    If you can get a cheap version of the old Photoframe, you can still effectively use it in PS 7. Basically, all it is is a filter that accesses grayscale images and makes them Alpha Channels. You can easily do this manually by expanding the canvas size of your original photograph[dont make the edges transparent, either black or white(unless you want to create a different effect from the one you have shown), whichever you want to be the closest color]. Then place grayscale image as mask of your photo. Next you will want to make a layer underneath that is the filled with black or white(oposite of what you chose earlier).

Sounds a little complex, but it isnt very hard. Alternatively, you could create your own mask by scanning in(or taking a digital photo of) an interesting textured object and making it grayscale and do some additional editing. You can do some really cool effects in this manor.

For this project I used a crumpld up, torn piece of paper that I soaked in water.

<a href="http://www.andrews.edu/~rbecker/assn07/portfolio/di_graphics/di_collage.jpg"; target="_blank">http://www.andrews.edu/~rbecker/assn07/portfolio/di_graphics/di_collage.jpg</a>;

[ 12-14-2002: Message edited by: 4fx ]</p>