Google debuts standalone YouTube app ahead of iOS 6 launch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

Deleted.

Me too. Downloaded. Tried it.  Immediately deleted.  

This thing is crap.  It's a very mundane, unoriginal design for starters.  Worst of all is the giant "sign in" bar across the top of the screen which is unremovable (unless you sign in).  

Google doesn't want to give you an app to watch YouTube, it wants to give you an app so it can see what you are watching on YouTube.  So if you don't sign in and link all this crap to Google Plus, you have to look at this giant blank bar across the top of your screen the whole time you are using the app.  Very easy to make the "mistake" of tapping on it too as it's so freaking big!.  

The ironic thing here is that this is essentially the same technique used by the "banner ad."  The very thing that Google has supposedly been dead set against all these years.  They have come full circle now by putting one of these sign-in banners on pretty much all of their properties now.  

I'm only surprised it doesn't blink. 

• Reply 22 of 52
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Well I can't say I really ever used the YouTube App on my phone or iPad, I know it will be missed terribly on the Apple TV should it be deleted from that OS.  So for me (and many others i presume) it will not be missed.  Generally, the only times i've used the YouTube app on my iPhone or iPad is when there is a link to a video via the web or via an email.  Then it just opens in the dedicated App.  Otherwise I never really launched the app from my home screen.  Now, If Apple decides the Apple TV OS no-longer needs YouTube, I think they are going to piss-off a LOT of people.  Now something tells me they won't remove it from the ATV at least until you can actually download apps for the ATV, which I think might actually happen next year at the earliest.

• Reply 23 of 52
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Yeah, I can't wait to get the same pre-roll ads that the Android app users are already seeing.    /sarcasm

• Reply 24 of 52

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Google doesn't want to give you an app to watch YouTube, it wants to give you an app so it can see what you are watching on YouTube.  So if you don't sign in and link all this crap to Google Plus, you have to look at this giant blank bar across the top of your screen the whole time you are using the app.  Very easy to make the "mistake" of tapping on it too as it's so freaking big!.  

The ironic thing here is that this is essentially the same technique used by the "banner ad."  The very thing that Google has supposedly been dead set against all these years.  They have come full circle now by putting one of these sign-in banners on pretty much all of their properties now.  

Linking to Google+ is not required, and neither is so much hyperbolic paranoia. Having a company know which videos they themselves are serving me is some of the least consequential personal information ever. Is Google somehow able to deduce your social security number from your video view history?

Yes, this app is intended for people with accounts. It shouldn't get in your way otherwise, because YouTube is no longer tied to iOS; video links from other apps will launch in Safari.

• Reply 25 of 52
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bemmer View Post

Because of the fact that there isn't an iPad version. If the iOS 6 is being launched soon minus YouTube and there's no iPad version then the only way to have a YouTube app is to have the iPhone version, which looks terrible on the iPad... So yeah, it sort of is a valid point.

So then, don't update until there is one.  It isn't like the iPad will stop working if it isn't upgraded.

• Reply 26 of 52

Quote:

Actually, I'm seeing a bug where a white bar a few pixels high is getting inserted and removed right at the top of the app, which makes they app's screen jittery in portrait mode as it jumps up and down the distance of those pixels.  Seems to be related to using the button to switch to and from full screen mode.

Typical Google fit and finish, I guess.  I'm surprised it doesn't say "BETA" on it somewhere (which it obviously is).

• Reply 27 of 52

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    Pass. Google is off my iPhone and out of my life in a couple of weeks.

• Reply 28 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vorsos View Post

Linking to Google+ is not required, and neither is so much hyperbolic paranoia. Having a company know which videos they themselves are serving me is some of the least consequential personal information ever. Is Google somehow able to deduce your social security number from your video view history?

Yes, this app is intended for people with accounts. It shouldn't get in your way otherwise, because YouTube is no longer tied to iOS; video links from other apps will launch in Safari.

I agree. Viewer's history has been an element in any model of business where user's choice exists. Netflix does the same thing... 

Forget about third party apps, Genius Recommendations is based on what users listen to frequently and what they have in their library... Oh.. spooky, they know what I listen to... So funny.... Of course iTunes should be able to know what I like and interested in.

• Reply 29 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vorsos View Post

Lame defence.  What this app does is what *all* of Google's properties do now which is pester you constantly to log in, (they sometimes even lie to you about the consequences of *not* logging in), so that all the users of all it's apps feed information directly to the database.  

The purpose is to monetise *you*.  It's not a secret, and anyone who actually believes that claptrap about the reason being "to provide you with a better user experience," is just an idiot.  Suggestions about what to watch etc. are handy for some but are really just side-effects of the main purpose which is to track everything you see and do, every email you write, etc. 

Google is an "anti-consumer" company that doesn't give a shit about you or your "user experience."  They just want to sell *you* and your information to the advertisers.  If you are okay with that fine, most intelligent people are not.  

I don't understand why anyone would choose to be "customers" of Google, knowing that Google's true customer is the advertisers and that they are just selling your information down the river, when you could instead choose to be customers of Apple (real customers that is), who will give you the same services and yet treat all your personal information like it's sacrosanct and put it in a vault so the advertisers actually can't get at it.  

It's like crazy town, or topsy-turvy land to defend Google on these practices. Left is right, Black is white, etc. 

• Reply 30 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Actually, I'm seeing a bug where a white bar a few pixels high is getting inserted and removed right at the top of the app, which makes they app's screen jittery in portrait mode as it jumps up and down the distance of those pixels.  Seems to be related to using the button to switch to and from full screen mode.

Typical Google fit and finish, I guess.  I'm surprised it doesn't say "BETA" on it somewhere (which it obviously is).

I've heard that this app has a lot of advertisements in it too, so maybe this "bug" is a placeholder for a banner advert. 

• Reply 31 of 52
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Lame defence.  What this app does is what *all* of Google's properties do now which is pester you constantly to log in, (they sometimes even lie to you about the consequences of *not* logging in), so that all the users of all it's apps feed information directly to the database.  

The purpose is to monetise *you*.  It's not a secret, and anyone who actually believes that claptrap about the reason being "to provide you with a better user experience," is just an idiot.  Suggestions about what to watch etc. are handy for some but are really just side-effects of the main purpose which is to track everything you see and do, every email you write, etc. 

Google is an "anti-consumer" company that doesn't give a shit about you or your "user experience."  They just want to sell *you* and your information to the advertisers.  If you are okay with that fine, most intelligent people are not.  

I don't understand why anyone would choose to be "customers" of Google, knowing that Google's true customer is the advertisers and that they are just selling your information down the river, when you could instead choose to be customers of Apple (real customers that is), who will give you the same services and yet treat all your personal information like it's sacrosanct and put it in a vault so the advertisers actually can't get at it.  

It's like crazy town, or topsy-turvy land to defend Google on these practices. Left is right, Black is white, etc. 
    Why WOULDN'T I want relevant ads that actually appeal to me instead of a crap shoot of random ads for products I will never use or buy?
  • Reply 32 of 52

No video uploads?

• Reply 33 of 52
    majjo wrote: »
    Why WOULDN'T I want relevant ads that actually appeal to me instead of a crap shoot of random ads for products I will never use or buy?

Google's evil here...

Apple's evil on Android sites...

the way of the world.
  • Reply 34 of 52

Quote:

This is just terrible! It looks horrible on the iPad as well.

That's because the iPad version hasn't yet been released... as per the above article.

• Reply 35 of 52

Quote:

Weird, did I miss the announcement of Apple's competitor/copycat service to YouTube?

And I suppose you missed the point where Apple OWNS an advertising company.  You think your information isn't getting sold down the river by Apple too?

• Reply 36 of 52

Quote:

But, but, but... Google Luuuuves the consumer. They will feed you full of free shit, keep you all warm and fuzzy, and then when you least expect it, Google will cut your throat and feed you to their real customers; the advertisers.

• Reply 37 of 52

Quote:

That's quite funny, because that's the thing I hate about the app! It's too limited. Where's the history section? I shouldn't have to re-search a video if I watched another one. It's also lacking the percentage, which is good if you're looking for a clip, there's a few and can help you choose between a dud or not

Though I agree that it's good to have a deleteable app and yes, I think everyone would like to delete newsstand! Fingers crossed Google releases a Map ASAP

History is still there, but it's unfortunately tucked away in a not-so-obvious spot. First, make sure you're logged in. Then, hit the top left menu button, and tap on your account. You'll see 'history' in that list. Keep in mind that this history is synced with your account, and will be available on all your devices. Now, I can watch a video on the phone, and have it available in my history list on my tablet or the website. Of course, you can clear it out with one tap like before.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    Pass. Google is off my iPhone and out of my life in a couple of weeks.

That's the beauty of choice, isn't it?

• Reply 38 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Weird, did I miss the announcement of Apple's competitor/copycat service to YouTube?

And I suppose you missed the point where Apple OWNS an advertising company.  You think your information isn't getting sold down the river by Apple too?

Obviously the services offered are not *exactly* the same, especially as this is a developing story and Apple is only halfway through the process of eliminating Google services from iOS.  They do however own an advertising company.  

If Apple was in fact "selling on" the information their customers give them it would be a scandal of epic proportions given that they have sworn not to and it says right in those click through agreements we all sign that they won't.  They would be open to civil prosecution on a massive scale if it turns out they have done this at the very least.  Perhaps even criminal prosecution from the Feds in the USA.  They would also be kicked out of Europe.  

I'm thinking you are just some little kid who thinks he's being smart.  

You don't actually have any evidence of Apple breaking their agreements in this way do you?

• Reply 39 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by majjo View Post

Why would you want ads at all?  Only fools actually like, and want advertisements.  

Also, what makes you think they are only going to show you the stuff that's relevant to you anyway?  They are going to show you an advert every time regardless of whether it "fits" with you lifestyle or whatever.  

• Reply 40 of 52

Quote:

If Apple was in fact "selling on" the information their customers give them it would be a scandal of epic proportions given that they have sworn not to and it says right in those click through agreements we all sign that they won't.  They would be open to civil prosecution on a massive scale if it turns out they have done this at the very least.  Perhaps even criminal prosecution from the Feds in the USA.  They would also be kicked out of Europe.  

Sources, please.