Apple designers reportedly divided over use of skeuomorphic UIs

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 122
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    Hmm. I disagree. As long as there are materials, as long as humans have a sense of aesthetics, and as long as we have physical fingers, we'll want something comforting. Something familiar where nothing is. That's important to us, intrinsically. It assists with comprehension. And it's also part of why we name everything we come across.

If you can tie it to the physical, it can be understood. If it can be understood, it can be used. 

Indeed. But if you look at the mobile form factor skeumorphism is much less critical now. iPad and so on lovely, but for mobile most people are so used to the tap and slide patterns (remember iPhone 1 was not ~very~ skeumorphic) there's a lot of flexibility now. As in for 4" one need not go crazy making a header that looks like leather, paper, or leaf, and so on. Still, where possible skeumorphic is quite tasteful, in my view.
  • Reply 122 of 122

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hmm. I disagree. As long as there are materials, as long as humans have a sense of aesthetics, and as long as we have physical fingers, we'll want something comforting. Something familiar where nothing is. That's important to us, intrinsically. It assists with comprehension. And it's also part of why we name everything we come across.

If you can tie it to the physical, it can be understood. If it can be understood, it can be used. 

You're right, you know.

I'll rephrase that as "Skeuomorphism is approaching the end of tis first phase, where it has been particularly full-on and garish (e.g. Game Centre)"

Skeuomorphism makes sense in many UI situations, and helps make real-world sense to humans using non-human (i.e. mechanical) devices while performing real-world tasks. In short it is a humanising feature.

Now a subtle sense of aesthetics is creeping into it and toning it down tastefully, not eliminating it altogether as skeuomorphobes are braying for.