Apple unveils redesigned iPhone 5 with 4-inch display, 4G LTE

Comments

• Reply 181 of 392
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Well the iPhone 5 is a pretty dull affair isn't it....it looks uninspiring, its dull, its boring, its....yes its still ugly.
    Oh it can take panorama pictures - is that really something they think is smart enough to proclaim, I've had a free app for two years that does that!
    The OS continues to creak on, its so sad that Apple are looking VERY tired. Signed a very sad Apple fanatic since 1991, who is losing faith.

How about wowing us with some of the stuffs you had done.
  • Reply 182 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why would it? Not every release is or is meant to be revolutionary over evolutionary.

took them a year to design an identical copy of the 4 and 4s..and they still labeled the "greatest innovation we undertook"..what was the smallest?  

Hockey Puck Mouse on original iMac!

• Reply 183 of 392
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Except they did the same for the 4S, too, and you've actually lost features this time around (CDMA and GSM phones are different models again). The main camera has not been changed, either; the exterior redesign was unnecessary; the new dock connector was unnecessary, headphones are more of an iPod feature than an iPhone feature (and I like them).

The camera has not been changed? From the looks of it its radically improved, except for Megapixel count, which I guess is the only superficial spec you're looking at. So, you're completely wrong. exterior design was unecessary? Why? The new connector unecessary? Based on what, your useless opinion? You don't think Apple had ample reason to update the connector, seeing as how its going on 10+ years and was conceived way before the concept of the iPhone? You think they should stick with it forever? No, no features were lost. You're just trying way too hard to twist reality to fit that ludicrous statement, bitching about the features they added/improved.

• Reply 184 of 392
    meh 2meh 2 Posts: 149member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

Another choice stupid comment. Laptops are not changing and evolving at the rate and scale smartphones are.  In the smartphone world tech and devices are growing in leaps and bounds. Apple seems to have left that world and joined the incremental update world. That was fine with the 4S, but now it's the third phone without major changes that lead with new features, and I'm not talking about the design of the exterior. They follow behind Android by a year or more.

I am having a difficult time understanding the premise of several posts to this thread. The premise that is reflected above (and I don't mean to be brutish or void of understanding) is that one can even compare the iPhone with the competition. I have the 4S and my wife has the Galaxy III (I think it's called) and in terms of ease of use and things working seamlessly, there is no comparison. I understand that me experience may be anecdotal, but on the surface it looks as if Apple has further refined (in an impressive fashion) certain characteristics of their excellent  4S and this is meeting with disdain because a faulty version has been available for one - two - five years on an android device??

Granted, we have come to have high expectations and this iteration may not have the wow factor that the first iPhone did, but the iPhone 5 is a solid improvement in so many ways and I expect it to be especially so in terms of user experience. This, in the end, is the real crux of the matter for me in my admittedly simple way of looking at it.

Surely we are not losing sight of the obvious ... that many of the things we are comparing Apple to is a copy of their own ingenuity. It is harder to improve a Rolls Royce than it is a Peugeot or Citreon.

• Reply 185 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

AAPL closed up $10.18  1.54%... in spite of the Foo Birds... (I guess they wore it)

Apple closed up $9.13 actually and was sold off during the announcement. The last 30 min spike was a technical move with the rest of the broader market. Nothing about today's news was really indicative in the price, it's been baked in for some time, especially since it was in line with all the leaks. 

• Reply 186 of 392
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

1. This is Apple. They invent entire new manufacturing processes to get what they want. 

2. They have 110 BILLION DOLLARS IN CASH. If a chip that handles everything can't be made with even a fraction of that, then there's really no hope for the telephony industry.

The level of your ignorance knows no bounds, yet you proudly flaunt it. If I didn't know better I'd think you were a self-parody. Yeah, every single technical issue can be solved by throwing cash at it, today, in the year 2012. Every single one. Not like Apple is limited by current technology, no, it must magically make everything work the way you want it because.. they have money. Do you think Apple's engineering and design teams are incompetent? That they wouldn't have done this if it was feasible? Why don't you apply for a job there? Because you clearly are certain it could have been done, based on not having a shred of insight or knowledge about any of the technicalities of the matter. But hey, 110 BILLION DOLLARS IN CASH!.  Why not make the phone half as thin? Or 10x as fast? Or, holograms? Cause 110 BILLION IN CASH!!  Once in a while, try to remind yourself that you actually don't know everything, and things can't necessarily be done because you believe, in your fictional world, that they can be, even though you don't have a shred of evidence that supports that. 

I won't even bother with asking you how the hell you think the internal chip layout is going to impede people's experience with the phone, or why you even give a shit about this stuff considering you're still satisfied using a 1st gen iPhone. 

• Reply 187 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by reddevil View Post

They just stretched the screen adding a bit more vertical space, so now as App developer now I'll have a new resolution to handle. This means an added development/testing cost without a real big advantage in usability (just two more vertical lines of text). They'd better use a bigger screen keeping the same ratio and resolution, but I think they are trapped by their "Retina" marketing bs so I think this was the best compromise they found,  what is lame...

You poor thing... Look at it from the point of view that you will have more than 10 Million potential new customers for your apps, by the end of the year!

• Reply 188 of 392

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

The level of your ignorance knows no bounds, yet you proudly flaunt it. If I didn't know better I'd think you were a self-parody. Yeah, every single technical issue can be solved by throwing cash at it, today, in the year 2012. Every single one. Not like Apple is limited by current technology, no, it must magically make everything work the way you want it because.. they have money. Do you think Apple's engineering and design teams are incompetent? That they wouldn't have done this if it was feasible? Why don't you apply for a job there? Because you clearly are certain it could have been done, based on not having a shred of insight or knowledge about any of the technicalities of the matter. But hey, 110 BILLION DOLLARS IN CASH!.  Why not make the phone half as thin? Or 10x as fast? Or, holograms? Cause 110 BILLION IN CASH!!  Once in a while, try to remind yourself that you actually don't know everything, and things can't necessarily be done because you believe, in your fictional world, that they can be, even though you don't have a shred of evidence that supports that. 

There's something desperately wrong here. I seem to be on the receiving end of the crap that you should probably be getting. 

• Reply 189 of 392
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mode View Post

Wow!!! I didn't think Ives would drop the ball so soon after Steve's passing.

Samsung and Motto are light years ahead of Apple now in the design department.

Tech specs are somewhat solid, and iOS 6 had better be good because thats the only thing this design disaster has going for it.

Is Ives completely out of ideas???

Are you serious? Samsung design ahead? lol

• Reply 190 of 392

I saw other's asked about sim size, but couldn't find an answer.  Did the iPhone 5 keep the same sim size as the iPhone 4/4S?

• Reply 191 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcdinkins View Post

I saw other's asked about sim size, but couldn't find an answer.  Did the iPhone 5 keep the same sim size as the iPhone 4/4S?

no, it is the new Nano SIM.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/12/iphone-5-confirmed-to-use-nano-sim-current-sims-not-compatible/

• Reply 192 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by meh 2 View Post

I am having a difficult time understanding the premise of several posts to this thread. The premise that is reflected above (and I don't mean to be brutish or void of understanding) is that one can even compare the iPhone with the competition. I have the 4S and my wife has the Galaxy III (I think it's called) and in terms of ease of use and things working seamlessly, there is no comparison. I understand that me experience may be anecdotal, but on the surface it looks as if Apple has further refined (in an impressive fashion) certain characteristics of their excellent  4S and this is meeting with disdain because a faulty version has been available for one - two - five years on an android device??

Granted, we have come to have high expectations and this iteration may not have the wow factor that the first iPhone did, but the iPhone 5 is a solid improvement in so many ways and I expect it to be especially so in terms of user experience. This, in the end, is the real crux of the matter for me in my admittedly simple way of looking at it.

Surely we are not losing sight of the obvious ... that many of the things we are comparing Apple to is a copy of their own ingenuity. It is harder to improve a Rolls Royce than it is a Peugeot or Citreon.

You do raise some valid points, but it seems the innovations is elsewhere.

In OS and such Apple leads by far, no question.

In hardware, not so much anymore. I would say from a hardware perspective, the latest Nokia Lumia phones have far more innovative hardware that the iPhone 5 does. Everything from the camera to the curved glass screen that works even with gloves.  I'm not saying all the features are great, but they innovated with this hardware. Apple did not do as good a job IMO.

• Reply 193 of 392
    andysol wrote: »
    So to go from 16gb to 32gb on the iPod Touch it's $50
    To do the exact same thing on the new iPhone it's $100
    Ok.......?

You are looking at the price of the 4th gen iPod. The 5th gen is $299 for 32GB and $399 for 64GB.

Price is going down because specs are old now. Not the memory. Like the 4S 16GB being $99.
  • Reply 194 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by crunchingnumber View Post

Tired looking design - a bit like the Range Rover refined and functional but tired looking and out of touch with the new boys on the block.  Taller ? what happened to the scroll bar - doesn't that do the same thing. Iconic - isn't that a fanciful way for saying 'old'. Apple do yourself a favor and license the software to Samsung, Motorola, LG and HTC so we can get something new and you get to keep your cash generating eco system.

What's tired looking are comments like yours!

• Reply 195 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

FYI: Steve Jobs was heavily involved in the iP5 before he died. This is his final iPhone creation.

You know this for a fact?

He was pretty sick the last year or so. How much he was involved is certainly up to question, as is how much they may have changed from whatever ideas he did input to it since his death.

• Reply 196 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

And you're lucky you're here, because usually, any disagreement with a mod is reason for immediate ejection.

But it's pretty obvious when people are trolling. If you don't like what I've said, then tough! I can say what I want just as you think they can say what they want.

Lol are you serious? I think that you are lucky that there are people who come to this site to talk. You are making it sound as if we owe you something.

Saying something without justifying yourself is precisely the behavior of a troll. Your sentence really sounds childish. 

• Reply 197 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Are you serious? Samsung design ahead? lol

I guess that speaks to personal taste. While I find the iPhone to be a better design (from the looks perspective), Apple is a one look deal. Personal taste may well run to other looks for many people.

• Reply 198 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Lol are you serious? I think that you are lucky that there are people who come to this site to talk. You are making it sound as if we owe you something.

This!!!!  No site that I know ejects people for disagreeing with a mod. At least no site with any members.  :lol:

• Reply 199 of 392

Lots of little improvements, but nothing really exciting. Getting rather fed up with their pricing actually.

$199 gets you 16GB

$299 gets you 32GB

$399 gets you 64GB

I just picked up 16GB SD cards (Class 10) for $10 each. That's a fully marked up retail price not what Apple pays.

They are making an absolute killing on the 32 and 64 GB models.

• Reply 200 of 392

Yes, it's ALWAYS the same thing. People will get over it.

I'm still going to buy is asap, I think I'll go for the white version this time.