Apple unveils redesigned iPhone 5 with 4-inch display, 4G LTE

Comments

• Reply 161 of 392
    tallest skil: How did you end up @ AppleInsider? Did you win their competition for the biggest flamer? I am tempted to start looking for other Apple website just because of your flaming here, you always have to have the last word and you got to spell out "your truth" all the times.
  • Reply 162 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Rather, what does this have, that an Android phone hasn't for the last year?

Don't say iOS.

The app store

• Reply 163 of 392
    nexusphan wrote: »
    Yes I do think Apple buys them off the shelf. In cell touch censors were not developed by apple and other phone manufacturers have announced in the past months that their upcoming phones will have them.

Not for LCD with IPS.
  • Reply 164 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Not for LCD with IPS.

http://www.slashgear.com/lg-optimus-g-official-with-in-cell-touch-28244148/

:)

• Reply 165 of 392
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

The Lumia 920 [will be my next phone, BTW] has a marginally bigger but optimal 8.7 Megapixel but with F/2.0. And, if Nokia is telling "the truth nothing but the truth", the optical technology in Lumia 920 will be much more superior than the one in Iphone 5. 

p.s. It appears you're gonna get your Iphone 5 one day earlier than the rest of them in the States..., again. Congrats...

The Sony Experia S has a 12 megapixel camera.

I look forward to 28 Megapixel panorama's from the 6th generation iPhone.

• Reply 166 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

The iPhone 5 has an A6 Processor.  I am assuming that the A6 processor in the iPhone 5 is a dual core not quad core.  If it was a quad core they would have mentioned it.

They also did not mention whether it is based on A9 or A15 ARM reference design. That is the 2x performance comes from the surged CPU frequency rate or the new architecture.

• Reply 167 of 392

I've just seen the UK prices (sim free) ... From £529 , given the 4S could be had for £499, this is a £30 price rise

the 30-pin Doc to Lightning connector is £25

It seems Apple has raised prices across the board, this is not good given how their competition is dropping prices

• Reply 168 of 392
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    blitz1 wrote: »
    No, I won't say NFC. NFC is already available in a lot of Android phones...

NFC isn't necessarally the best solution. And Apple hasn't needed in their own stores, which which they've now had a lot of experience with. I've bought a number of items using their app, which works well, and doesn't need me to go to a terminal, wait in line, and swipe.

Interestingly, it's been found that NFC isn't all that secure either.

There are other companies beginning to use Apple's system. Considering that there is no standard for NFC on a mobile device, but rather three or four, attempting to gain control of this, and so far, Google's has proven a bust, the field is wide open.

I would prefer something using WiFi or BT instead. As every mobile device has WiFi, it wouldn't require new hardware, just software. With BT, it would require 4.0, which Apple is putting in all of its mobile devices, and is coming out in other manufacturers devices as well.
  • Reply 169 of 392
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post

I'm really becoming disillusioned with Apple. I love my iPhone 4S (which I purchased at full price and not on contract) and I love iCloud and I also really like my new MacBook Pro. But is this really the best they can do?

Sure, people will still queue for days to get their hands on this iPhone, but I certainly won't. What they've really announced is an upgraded iPhone 4S with an extra row of icons and a wireless technology that is no where near ready for mass use. I remember the days when Apple set the market, not just followed it. Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave right now.

To be fair, I am looking forward to the availability of iOS 6 and this upgraded iTunes that was mentioned earlier today. Scott Forstall, you have to become CEO as soon as possible and take the company out of the hands of Tim Cook and the Dixons guy. It took more than numbers and spreadsheets to create the brand that is Apple, it took imagination.

Perhaps this is an unfair critique (and I would be happy to be told that it is), or perhaps personal/mobile technology has reached a point where it's future can only be evolutionary and not revolutionary.

The "Steve Jobs rolling in this grave" shit is getting pretty despicable, considering you don't have a clue what you're talking about. You realize the 3G, 3GS, and 4S were all under his watch? This is definitely a bigger update than all of those relative to their prior versions.  Why don't you provide us a list of what you would have realistically expected this phone to include, because your rant contained nothing of the sort. Seriously, make a list. Cause of all the bitching and moaning, I haven't seen one yet. It's a better phone and a better internet device in every single way imaginable. What, exactly, did you expect? What are your major critiques? Bigger screen? That's pretty much the only thing I'm hearing, and it's a completely subjective issue and has nothing to do with innovation. People like you have knee-jerk negative reactions, but apparently don't have a shred of insight as to name anything they would have actually done. Oh wait, you're pissed they included LTE, probably the most asked for feature, and would have preferred if they didn't. Gotcha. 

• Reply 170 of 392
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

And you're lucky you're here, because usually, any disagreement with a mod is reason for immediate ejection.

Wow we lucky or what? I think about 90% of the regular users would be gone by this point after that iPhone 5 naming insult fest.

• Reply 171 of 392
    slurpy wrote: »
    Love all the predictable, "dissapointed" posts here. Same each and every time. Apple basically reengineered, rethought, and improved every SINGLE internal aspect of the phone, including all audio/video subsystems, dramatically improved hardware, completely different build materials, better back and front camera, LTE, larger screen, new connectors AND headphones, etc etc..there's nothing they didn't touch or massively improve. But yeah it's a 'meh' and 'minor' update, cause it looks 'generally' the same. You people would have preferred if Apple slapped on a large-ass screen, wrapped it around in shitty plastic, and called it a day- thats INNOVATION, right?

Except they did the same for the 4S, too, and you've actually lost features this time around (CDMA and GSM phones are different models again). The main camera has not been changed, either; the exterior redesign was unnecessary; the new dock connector was unnecessary, headphones are more of an iPod feature than an iPhone feature (and I like them).
  • Reply 172 of 392

• First of all, a very mehhh presentation... I miss those magical days when Steve was around exciting the crowd with unique and surprising ways to showcase products. The way the iPhone 5 appeared physically on stage was so trashy. Also Tim Cook is bland. He has reiterated the same things over and over again since iPhone 4S, iPad3 and WWDC 2012 presentations about how Apple is passionate about this and that blah blah... I'd like to see Apple presentations bring up more nostalgia of why Apple exists.

• Secondly the iPhone 5 looks pretty sleek! Having visited the iPhone page on the Apple site and checked out the photography/renderings. My views of the new design have changed. I really wasn't digging the leaked photos at all. The build, thinness and balance in materiality and form is superb.

• Thirdly, why no 128Gb iPhone & iPod Touch? my HD video, Photos, App data and App sizes are all getting heavier by the day.

• Fourth - No mention of the transfer rate of LIGHTING. usb3?

• Fifth - Please fire Browett

I will probably not upgrade from my iPhone 4S which was upgraded from an iPhone 4 and before that a iPhone 3GS... roll on 2013 for next iPhone.

Cheers

• Reply 173 of 392

I thought the star of the show was the iPod nano.

As far as the iPhone is concerned, it looks OK, still think the Lumia 920 looks better. Not really interested in LTE at the moment ( In the UK and the dataplan is expensive) and the frequency is not optimal)  I am due an upgrade so will probably get one. Couple of things, why go on about the thinness when most people put protective cases on them. Also Im glad there is no NFC. Using your phone to tap something suggests you can scratch it 

• Reply 174 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

Another choice stupid comment. Laptops are not changing and evolving at the rate and scale smartphones are.  In the smartphone world tech and devices are growing in leaps and bounds. Apple seems to have left that world and joined the incremental update world. That was fine with the 4S, but now it's the third phone without major changes that lead with new features, and I'm not talking about the design of the exterior. They follow behind Android by a year or more.

Seriously, WTF do you honestly expect from a new phone for christs sake? In case you hadn't noticed, Android isn't really innovating right now either. The only distinguishing aspects in that camp is now screen size.

They could have thrown NFC in but is that really a "WOW" factor?

Just what would "WOW" you now?

Welcome to incremental evolutionary steps from here on out. Perhaps there will be another Siri like feature but for the most part, with ALL phones, the form factor is now pretty stabilized.

Perhaps the OS will get a fresher look but how is that "revolutionary"? What is in the "WOW factor" in new icons?

• Reply 175 of 392

From what I can tell, the phone still has all the same 3g compatibility that the 4s has, In addition to that it has select LTE capabilities, based on the model.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

You can still travel with your phone, you just wont get LTE speeds everywhere.

actually... taking a closer look, it appears the CDMA is the only phone that has all the lower speed options in addition to their LTE bands. The GSM versions have no CDMA support now.

That does seem odd. Is CDMA really all that useful out of the states?

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post

By far the most important feature -- the choice of LTE bands on the different versions of the phone.  Verizon, Sprint and potentially US Cellular customers will be delighted -- all current and future LTE spectrum on these carriers is represented along with a healthy dollop of international coverage, a feature that simply isn't replicated on any Android device at present.  AT&T and potentially T-Mobile customers have been screwed.  Only the lower 700MHz band and AWS LTE spectrum are on the phone and inexplicably the international frequencies are left off entirely, a situation that additionally leaves the iPhone without any hardware advantages over Android on these carriers.  Honestly, it's beyond a slap in the face to the US GSM side; it's bizarre.  It doesn't make any sense.  

Apple may as well try their level best to come up with a single version that supports all seven LTE bands in this release.  One sort of wonders why they didn't do it already.  Maybe AT&T has some kind of fiendish contract with them?

• Reply 176 of 392

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

The greatness of Apple and Jobs was their ability to innovate beyond our wisdom. If we're reduced to giving our ideas of what Apple should be innovating, they're behind the 8 ball.

When the first iPhone came out Jobs said he had a 5 year head start. That 5 years is up, and the iPhone 5 today is nowhere close to the innovation the first iPhone was in its day.

FYI: Steve Jobs was heavily involved in the iP5 before he died. This is his final iPhone creation.

• Reply 177 of 392
    mcrs wrote: »
    Can someone 'splain to me what these words mean? I knew of a Canadian hockey guy named "Don Cherry" who I think invented the phrase "Rocket Surgery" when he actually meant "Rocket Science". 

Are you dense?

The word "illiterate" is commonly used in a phrase to imply someone has no knowledge about a particular subject, as in "I am illiterate in...".

I used some football terminology and an illustration rooted in a a basic understanding of the game, and the poster quoted my post and completely missed the point. Clearly they didn't understand the illustration and I am guessing this is due to a lack of knowledge about the game. Thus they are "illiterate".
  • Reply 178 of 392
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

Well, if the specs are lesser than what's generally available, then it's not even evolutionary.

If the specs are '"lesser". Gotcha. The 4S was bashed for having 'weak' specs when it was shown off by all the trolls and ingnoramuses. Guess what? A year later, it's pretty much still the most responsive phone in the industry, with one of the most, if not the most powerful GPU of any flagship phone. The phone runs like oiled butter. So tell me, what 'specs' of the new iPhone are going to impede your experience, considering its considerably more powerful in every single way? Do you think the phone will feel weak or slow? Really? Or is it the fact that it doesnt have a screen the size of your face? 

• Reply 179 of 392

AAPL closed up $10.18  1.54%... in spite of the Foo Birds... (I guess they wore it)

• Reply 180 of 392

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Because it's probably not that easy to create.

1. This is Apple. They invent entire new manufacturing processes to get what they want. 

2. They have 110 BILLION DOLLARS IN CASH. If a chip that handles everything can't be made with even a fraction of that, then there's really no hope for the telephony industry.

Originally Posted by gabber attack View Post

…you got to spell out "your truth" all the times.

There is only ONE truth. 

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Wow we lucky or what? I think about 90% of the regular users would be gone by this point after that iPhone 5 naming insult fest.

I don't recall a single user being banned for thinking it would be called iPhone 5. I don't see why any should be banned for thinking it shouldn't be.

Originally Posted by simtub View Post

Fifth - Please fire Browett

I love how you just threw that in there.