6.1mm-thick 5th-gen iPod touch has Siri, 4" display, A5 CPU

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    -
  • Reply 22 of 78

I'm disappointed  :)    The small/watch form factor was cool and useful.   They've just gone back to the 'stick' format of 2 Nano's ago.

• Reply 23 of 78
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    I'm really glad they went with brushed/polished metal instead of chrome and finally putting some decent cameras on the iPod Touch. Don't like the $100 price hike that came with it though.
  • Reply 24 of 78
    What a ripoff. A gimped cpu compared to the new iphone. Touch keeps falling behind and now the cpu is being hit. This device is supposed to be the gaming device and the price is outragious. Why not just get the iphone instead? Much better hardware. They might as well just discontinue the ipod touch. My 4th gen is laggy as hell on ios5. Ill be glad to sell it next week.
  • Reply 25 of 78
    I can not believe how FUGLY these are!!! EEEWWWWWWW!!!!!!
  • Reply 26 of 78
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanjupiter View Post

What a ripoff. A gimped cpu compared to the new iphone. Touch keeps falling behind and now the cpu is being hit. This device is supposed to be the gaming device and the price is outragious. Why not just get the iphone instead? Much better hardware. They might as well just discontinue the ipod touch. My 4th gen is laggy as hell on ios5. Ill be glad to sell it next week.

Its $350 less than an iPhone ($450 for the 32gb)... so if you don't have or can't afford an iPhone- get this.  It goes without saying that if you have an iPhone you likely wouldn't need this.

• Reply 27 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Pricing announced for the new Touch. $299? Writing on the wall says "No cheap iPad Mini coming!"

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

If there is such a thing, they could still price it at $349. However, Tim spent an awful lot of time pointing out how the iPad - in its current size - still far out sells everyone else. So they're either not really making a new iPad or they are downplaying it to throw others off. I have a feeling Apple is going to wait until after the New Year to release any new iPads as they normally do.

I agree with blackbook. The only way I could see a mini would be at the iPad event- they drop the touch prices to $199/$299, and roll out the mini at $299/$399 with the iPad $499.

Not saying it will happen, but that's the likeliest of scenarios.

• Reply 28 of 78
    pokepoke Posts: 506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Pricing announced for the new Touch. $299? Writing on the wall says "No cheap iPad Mini coming!"

It's difficult to see where an iPad mini could be priced. $349? $399 and it replaces the iPad 2?

Maybe there's no iPad mini at all?

• Reply 29 of 78

Originally Posted by poke View Post

Don't take my side. People gang up on you when you're on my side. image

• Reply 30 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Don't take my side. People gang up on you when you're on my side. image

• Reply 31 of 78

Quote:

It's difficult to see where an iPad mini could be priced. $349? $399 and it replaces the iPad 2?

The iPad 2 is a placeholder for the iPad mini.  My guess is that it gets replaced with the iPad mini - 8GB at $299 and 16GB at $349 or $399.  Same price points as the new iPod touch, but one-fourth the flash memory.  Probably will be introduced at a small event on Apple's campus (long with the 13" Macbook Retina and new iMac).

• Reply 32 of 78

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Oh, so YOU'RE on my side now, then? Or was that a statement on the ludicrousness of assuming there will be a product unlike that which has ever been produced before?

• Reply 33 of 78
    kolchak wrote: »
    Still no GPS. So much for that rumor.

Why would you want gps on an iPod touch? You have to be connected to wifi, and that's hard to do in a moving vehicle.
  • Reply 34 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

Why would you want gps on an iPod touch? You have to be connected to wifi, and that's hard to do in a moving vehicle.

No you don't...

There are Nav Apps available that download the database with the app ... to then be used when no data connection is available.

GPS itself doesn't need a data connection.

• Reply 35 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

What Apple needs to do to win over people like me is to create a new codec that captures the audio clarity of analog. Remember almost a year ago Neil Young was saying Steve was interested in such a project? Neil said that today's mp3 recordings only have five percent of the actual fidelity of an analog record. I want something that good to come out into the market. If Apple leads the way and creates that they'll double their income as everybody with iTunes mp3s will want to upgrade to the audiophile experience.

No, it doesn't need to do that. Neil Young is not an audio scientist. Most people wouldn't care. The human ear can only hear so much.

These has been rehashed a million times.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

By the way; what's with the Apple logo with the light and dark color scheme? The slash is from the upper left to the lower right, which is called a sinister mark in heraldry. Is this Apple's covert way of announcing that the company is now flirting with the dark side of things? It looks creepy. It is a sign that the company is now schizophrenic, battling with good versus evil. There are two camps within Apple and this is the signal to the world saying all is not well.

Did you notice that the Apple logo behind the band was all shiny black like Darth Vaters helmet? There was a ray of light shining out of the bite mark. Maybe it symbolized Steve's spirit trying to break out of this new gloomy burgeoning Apple Evil Empire.

How much tinfoil was used in the construction of your hat?

• Reply 36 of 78
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    [quote]tallest skil 2012/09/12 02:49pm
    iPod classic confirmed to still be around, no updates to it.

My stars, are there really that many people that still buy it? More than the 17" MacBook Pro?
    [/quote]

The classic is popular with pros and and audio professionals. It is rather sad actually that the Touch didn't get a size update to flash memory, 64 GB is hardly enough. As to the 17" MBP yeah I would have to say Classic most likely out sells that model by a large margin.
  • Reply 37 of 78

It isn't expensive if you look at the cost of owning any cell phone with similar capabilities    In fact it is rather foolish to compare a Touch to a cell phone as it was specifically designed not to be a cell phone.    Starting off with such a comparison throws the rest of your posting into hot water.

As to cheaper, I was in a way expecting that also.   Actually I was expecting more flash at each price point.   Again though you wander off into non sensical comparison, the Touch isn't a tablet in the sense of a 7" device.    It is a different market altogether.

As to Apple winning over people like you, you are woefully misinformed so I'm not sure that there is anything more Apple can do.    In each case above you try to turn the Touch into something it isn't, the Touch does fine for what it is.

Your obsession with the logo is troubling, we live in a new age which has little to do with the past.   I'm not sure where your views on what the logo implies comes from but I'd look closely at what you have been ingesting lately.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

The iPod Touch seems a bit expensive compared to the other devices out there. Perhaps they're counting on Siri and the faster chip to make up for the high price. It's only a matter of time for another tablet maker to have a much higher capacity memory chip priced the same or even less. As I see it somebody must really want a pocket size device to get an iPod Touch. Already other brands of phones have similar capacities.

I was expecting the Touch to be cheaper. Adding Siri doesn't seem like enough to pull me away from wanting to buy a seven inch tablet. I could go for a tablet because I don't store hundreds of songs. Now there are wireless devices that can be used as backup storage devices for tablets without a lot of built in storage. This makes the benefit of the greater capacity of the Touch not as worthwhile.

What Apple needs to do to win over people like me is to create a new codec that captures the audio clarity of analog. Remember almost a year ago Neil Young was saying Steve was interested in such a project? Neil said that today's mp3 recordings only have five percent of the actual fidelity of an analog record. I want something that good to come out into the market. If Apple leads the way and creates that they'll double their income as everybody with iTunes mp3s will want to upgrade to the audiophile experience.

By the way; what's with the Apple logo with the light and dark color scheme? The slash is from the upper left to the lower right, which is called a sinister mark in heraldry. Is this Apple's covert way of announcing that the company is now flirting with the dark side of things? It looks creepy. It is a sign that the company is now schizophrenic, battling with good versus evil. There are two camps within Apple and this is the signal to the world saying all is not well.

Did you notice that the Apple logo behind the band was all shiny black like Darth Vaters helmet? There was a ray of light shining out of the bite mark. Maybe it symbolized Steve's spirit trying to break out of this new gloomy burgeoning Apple Evil Empire.

• Reply 38 of 78

People need to remember this is a new Apple, a company with strength in the market place it has never had.    Pricing on the Touch opens up marketing possibilities we haven't seen before, for example they could offer strong discounts for the Christmas shopping season.   $25 to $50 dollars off for Black Friday would still be a very profitable sale for Apple.   Or we could see Apple bundling Touch with other machines at a discounted price for things like back to school.

As to iPad Mini there is zero market overlap, they can price the Mini at any point they want.   Further iPad 2 would likely die with the arrival of the Mini.

Quote:

• Reply 39 of 78
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    timbit wrote: »
    No you don't...

There are Nav Apps available that download the database with the app ... to then be used when no data connection is available.

GPS itself doesn't need a data connection.

Sure, that's true, it's not so much about wifi.

But without a cellular network providing AGPS it would take forever to get a lock. Look how much longer dedicated GPS products take to get a lock compared with a phone with GPS, and they would have a much more powerful GPS chip than a phone. So all in all I don't think it would be overly useful in a touch except for maybe fitness apps at the most, as a runner is much slower moving than a car.
  • Reply 40 of 78
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The classic is popular with pros and and audio professionals. It is rather sad actually that the Touch didn't get a size update to flash memory, 64 GB is hardly enough. As to the 17" MBP yeah I would have to say Classic most likely out sells that model by a large margin.

I would say rather that the Classic is popular with music elitists and with so-called "audiophiles" that think they can detect sound differences that science can find no evidence for.  

They believe this so strongly (that they can tell the difference between the two), despite it being proven over and over again that this is false, that their only recourse is to stick with uncompressed music.  Which of course takes up four times the space.  Thus, the Classic.  

This same group of folks will swear up and down that vinyl actually sounds better than digital also, which while theoretically true, is and never has been *actually* true.