iPhone 5 arrival dates improve for some Apple customers

Comments

• Reply 41 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by anfboymn View Post

Target still has preorders available for pickup on the 21st.

Target does NOT have the iphone5 (I just checked, both online and through their order phone number).  Please let me know how you were able to preorder one - I think you were given incorrect information.

Things I know (I checked at the stores):

Walmart: they will only have subsidized phones available after the 21st (they didn't get unsubsidized 4S phones for sale until 3 months ago, so Apple is controlling inventory tightly until supplies get good enough to release to retailers.

Best Buy: they do not have availability of Sep 21st delivery at all for preorder, and cannot promise any delivery schedule

ATT: They will NOT have unsubsidized phones available for purchase at the stores on the 21st - only subsidized ones.

Apple: you cannot preorder unsubsidized phones yet, but supposedly they will be available at the stores on the 21st.

Bottom line: Except for Apple, all other retailers have scattershot availability designed to give the carriers an advantage in being able to provide subsidized phones for preorder - this HAS to have been written into the Apple/Carrier contracts - otherwise, the inventory would be such at ATT that they would be happy to sell you an unsubsidized one - but not so, they don't have enough inventory, so they will only sell to get you to sign up for another 2 years.  Certainly, enough folks will come in after the 21st to sell out of these phones, and they will only sell unsubsidized phones when they get enough, and they see a significant, and calculated, drop-off in subsidized orders, to warrant releasing unsubsidized ones for purchase.

All of this makes sense when you place it in terms of inventory control/management, but begs the question of the increase in international sales, in light of obvious shortages of phones to be sold domestically.

Apple is obviously trying to delicately balance domestic displeasure with capturing new international markets - a delicate job indeed, but one that Tim Cook, et al are capable of handling.

Apple is more and more deciding that they can piss off the preorder folks all they want (after all, they have your money, and you are obviously in the Apple camp to stay). However, they certainly pissed off lots of folks who preordered (me included) when they promised me last week that I could indeed buy an unsubsidized phone online - I instead could ONLY place a subsidized ATT order, which I did expecting the 21st delivery date, but then was further pissed off when my delivery date was shown as 2-3 weeks, even though I placed my order within 45 minutes of midnight.  Anyhow, I cancelled my order (not easy to do, and I had to get angry with the Apple store, when they directed me to do so online, which was impossible - they finally agreed to help me on the spot, and contacted the online Apple person, miraculously by phone, and a nice lady cancelled my order.

I plan on visiting the Apple store on Friday, the 21st, to try to purchase my unsubsidized ATT phone, which is all I was trying to do in the first place - what a way to do business.

• Reply 42 of 97

got my confirmation email at 2:32 cdt, delivery 9/21

• Reply 43 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawgfan View Post

When did you place your order on the 14th, and did it immediately say the shipping date was 2 weeks?

• Reply 44 of 97
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

I ordered my wife's iPhone 5 at 3:19am EST. Hers will be here on the Sept. 21. 

I ordered my iPhone 5 at 4:22am EST. It's still showing Oct. 5 delivery for me :(

• Reply 45 of 97
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

AHA! AGAIN! THERE IT IS AGAIN!

Galley, without typing "AT&T", can you tell us what the rest of your post was going to say? 

Also, if you would, tell us what device you're using to post, and from where you posted this: either the forums proper (forums.appleinsider.com) or the main site comment section (appleinsider.com). Thanks!

I suspect he was attacked by the Sa
  • Reply 46 of 97
    mlpsman80 wrote: »
    I ordered white iPhone 5 64gb from the apple store and got my order confirm email at 3:28am CST.  Still saying Oct 5th for me.

I thought the white iPhone 5 wasn't shipping on Sept 21...?
  • Reply 47 of 97
    hawgfan wrote: »

2:16 CDT. I didn't start ordering until nearly 10 minutes after it started because the websites were down.
  • Reply 48 of 97
    I think you're underestimating the logistics at Apple. Certainly it is possible that they were surprised by the demand in USA, and now have diverted some shipments from countries with not so great demand?

Though I'm not sure if it is possible given different 4G/LTE frequencies.
  • Reply 49 of 97
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member

i think its up to oct 10-16th now

• Reply 50 of 97

I first tried at 1:55cdt and kept trying til 2:15cdt, I closed my laptop almost went to bed and decided to try on the wifes imac and instantly got on apples site and 2 minutes later had it ordered, I'll go out on a limb and say apple gives there own products priority access I don't know how but I think they do.

• Reply 51 of 97
    Apple app store order and received my order confirmation email at 4:59 Est with a delivery date of October 5th. (16gb,black). Very disappointed.
  • Reply 52 of 97
    348am est and I'm hoping things change also
  • Reply 53 of 97

Originally Posted by iPhilly View Post

Very disappointed.

For what reason? 

• Reply 54 of 97
    So... is anyone here living the dream?

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 55 of 97
    I think that people look to the shipping dates as confirmation on how well a product is selling. So when Apple state demand is off the scale and the shipping forecasts are extending then it must be true. I suppose manipulation could influence its the psychology of spending patterns

However, Apple must have reasonable accurate projections how many phones are needed at launch so will have built up a stockpile just large enough to meet the demand. After all it does not want the phones to be sitting in boxes and neither do the carriers.

I think both are true.
  • Reply 56 of 97

I just want my iPhone 5s "yesterday."  Not looking into shipping dates any further than my own self interest (i.e. not analyzing Apple's aggregate shipments).

• Reply 57 of 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If anyone here has a date that was changed to the 21st from a later date would you please post the time you ordered? I'm curious to see if we can establish a feasible cut off point. I tried to order at 5am PT and was told the 28th.

I ordered a 64G black at around 0130 PST. Quoted a two week delivery, that has not changed.  Unlocked, through the Apple store app. (I'm in Canada). 

Thank you for your order

Order Date Sep 14, 2012

iPhone 5 64GB Black & Slate (GSM), Unlocked

Ships: 2 weeks

Delivers within 7 days after shipping by Standard Shipping

• Reply 58 of 97
    I placed an order for a 64 black, and a 16 white at 3:58 am Eastern from the iPhone app store app . I was given Oct 5, and 3rd as deliver dates. 58 minutes into the sale and my dates have not changed. I have recieved no email and my delivery days have not changed.

It is not the end of the world. There are people with no clean drinking water in the world. But it is annoying. It seems to me that Apple used the fast sell out to generate press and inflate their stock. How could they burn through in 1 hour, what took 22 hours last time?

Now, hearing that some are getting a better shipping after my order time has made me even more upset. How is that fair?

Cook is an operation guy. I bet they are manipulating things to get advertising that no amount of money can buy. I am just pissed it is by delaying my shipment.

Sucks Apple.
  • Reply 59 of 97
    For what reason? 

Was just hoping for delivery on the 21st. Have had a cracked screen for quite some time and in need of a replacement. Just hoping for sooner rather than later, is all. Plus new a tech toy is always fun on Xmas morning instead of New Year's Day! :)
  • Reply 60 of 97
    Anyone hear of Photoshop? I seriously doubt this story is true, and is intended to piss off some people and to get others' hopes up.