Samsung takes aim at iPhone 5 in new print ad

Comments

• Reply 61 of 277
    Marketing rule 101: of you're not Coke, you compare yourself to Coke.

Marketing rule 101.1: If you're not Coke, you don't compare yourself to Coke.
  • Reply 62 of 277

This has gotten dull.  Either way, it's going to boil down to what people want.   If all they want is the apple logo regardless of what it does, then that's the way it will be.   At least samsung is creating competition that improves products.  Oh well, onto better things. 

• Reply 63 of 277
    Perhaps they can't show iOS in their ads.

I notice also that they do not credit the terms iOS, iPhone, or Siri to Apple in the fine print. Is that legal?

(i) I think they'll be hearing from Apple's lawyers soon; (ii) No halfway self-respecting US publication will run it without Samsung acknowledging the trademarks.
  • Reply 64 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonskate View Post

Wait a minute.  Isn't the 5S made by the same company that just claimed that Samsung stole their "innovative" new round corners? Seems to me that Apple messed with the wrong company.  I mean, to sue someone over that?  Oh wait, I get it.  If they sue then much of it's credulous fanbase will believe round corners are what make apple so "innovative".  It's sad that they are so proud over something so lame.  Maybe apple should go into the automotive industry and then patent the steering wheel along with round wheels because the others didn't think of doing that.  Toyota, Ford, Gm and others will then need to manufacture this new thing called "the triangle wheel", and mount squares for tires for fear of a lawsuit.  Or they could use octagons.  And this is same one who's slow, over priced computers easily got infected by mac defender, mac flashback and many more, AFTER pretending they were impervious.  Their one supposed advantage and even that failed them.  Yep, I think I'm seeing a pattern here...

Apple sued Sammy for four utility patents and trade dress infringement. Why can't fandroids read? They should sue the crap out of copiers. Why should their hard work and design be used as a template for another company?

BTW, Ford, Toyota, GM don't make their own tires.

you mentioned 3 mac trojans, but aren't there 400+ in the Android Google Play pen? Let alone the millions in the Windows universe.

• Reply 65 of 277

Just by looking at the ad, a whole lot of things considered 'features' of the S3, they really don't seem like feature (maybe functions) & if they are , they forgot to add a bunch of stuff from the iPhone 5.

this ad shows so much weakness & insecurity on samsungs part.

• Reply 66 of 277
    moonskate wrote: »
    At least samsung is creating competition that improves products. 

Whose products? In what way?

Or, did you wake up today and go, 'I feel like signing up on AI and making a random comment'?
  • Reply 67 of 277

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

No halfway self-respecting US publication will run it without Samsung acknowledging the trademarks.

Crap, it's gonna show up everywhere. 

• Reply 68 of 277
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    To be fair, none of the Samsung adapters are but well enough to last till your next phone anyway...

...which with samsungs phone quality was generally about 14 weeks.
  • Reply 69 of 277

Quote:

At least samsung is creating competition that improves products.  Oh well, onto better things. 

oh and apple didn't? I guess I failed to remember two of the last major products. Not sure if they were duds, but does anyone remember the iPhone or iPad?

• Reply 70 of 277
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

The iPhone is an icon, the Samscum a fad, which Is why they need ads like that shown.  People won't be sucked in.

Where's the fanboy/fangirl in this image?

Samscum is detestable not the least for their portrayal of ordinary, thinking people.

• Reply 71 of 277
    Shamesung running scare like a little POS trying so hard to be Apple, and in the end still a POS, only cheapskate basement warrior buy this POS call S3
  • Reply 72 of 277

Further proof that Samsung doesn't get it — the fact that people value the overall experience they have with a device much more than they care about feature and spec lists.

• Reply 73 of 277
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    "Attention! Attention! We have an iPhone 5 announcement event! Damage control teams to your stations! Prepare to deploy the specs list!"

...as our sales are about to fall off a cliff.
  • Reply 74 of 277

Another comparison Samsung forgot to add in their Apple / Samsung ad...

Innovate plus $1 Billion / Imitate minus $1 Billion

/

/

• Reply 75 of 277
    "Attention! Attention! We have an iPhone 5 announcement event! Damage control teams to your stations! Prepare to deploy the specs list!"

No joke. I don't have a clue what those unique features are. S Beam?? Smart Stay??

Specs aren't everything. Sometimes the latest and greatest isn't really ready for the market and Apple is smart enough to know that.
  • Reply 76 of 277

• Reply 77 of 277

I would be interested to know if the phones in the ad are printed at their actual sizes.

I don't know but I'm guessing that they would be printed as slightly smaller than S/S because the Samsung really is a bit bulky.

• Reply 78 of 277
    moonskate wrote: »
    thanks it was meant to be slightly humorous, except the sad part is much of it's real.  I can't do much about that :-)   Oh, and that was part of the bait as I can't imagine an iphone fan not enjoying longer battery life irrespective of what it's used for.    That said, I figured that a die hard apple fan would look for what appeared to be a weak point and comment on that, leaving behind the other glaring disadvantages in the iphone ...  That in itself is what I find humorous.  Thanks :-) 

Uh-huh. I could go point-for-point and show you how all of your argument is weak as well as listing things the iPhone can do that Android doesn't or does significantly better than Android. But I don't feel like wasting that much time on an obvious troll and I suspect you don't care to hear it anyway.
  • Reply 79 of 277

Quote:

"in what appears to be a highly subjective comparison" 

hmm, it will be interesting to see how "subjective" phone customers will find features like replaceable batteries and memory cards on the new

Samsung. 

Or, a high resolution display, OR perhaps a phone that doesn't go dead as quickly.  Got stuck in an emergency in the mountains, or somewhere with no power?  Which phone would you want to have?  The iphone with 9 days standby, or the Samsung with 30?  You see, the chances of your phone being fully charged after playing angry birds while gabbing for hours is about nill.  And that's subjective?  I'd be willing to bet that if samsung's near 30 day standby time were an iphone 5 feature, apple fans would gloat about it.   I mean does anyone think they'd not like this on an iphone?  

I think the standard plug is much better approach.  It's a shame that die hard apple fans like tallest skil can't understand that regardless of what adapters were used in the past, the ad is talking about Samsung's newest offering which is standard.  I'd also be willing to bet most of their past ones are also standard.  Yes, there is one plug for the apple, BUT that's so apple can over charge and control the market on plugs.  Just as they do with their batteries which are not changeable without apple's help.  Apple's approach to everything is to try and take over, then make a proprietary plug or format so they can lock everything down in greed, then pretend it's "innovative".  Remember MP3's?  Superior in every way, as a sound engineer I know they are and more convenient if I could not have access to pure data.  Apple changed that format for ONE reason.  To control people and dip into money that artist could maybe have made.  No other company dared to be so controlling, proving it wasn't needed.

That's why apple's initial fanbase were mostly young and naive.  Because mommy and daddy's credit cards weren't far away and their attitude, "who cares".    So again, where is the standard USB power cord that the entire world is pretty much using?  Leave it to apple to take something that's practically ubiquitous and redo it.  I'd rather take a USB cord off another device be forced into apple's. 

Wait a minute.  Isn't the 5S made by the same company that just claimed that Samsung stole their "innovative" new round corners? Seems to me that Apple messed with the wrong company.  I mean, to sue someone over that?  Oh wait, I get it.  If they sue then much of it's credulous fanbase will believe round corners are what make apple so "innovative".  It's sad that they are so proud over something so lame.  Maybe apple should go into the automotive industry and then patent the steering wheel along with round wheels because the others didn't think of doing that.  Toyota, Ford, Gm and others will then need to manufacture this new thing called "the triangle wheel", and mount squares for tires for fear of a lawsuit.  Or they could use octagons.  And this is same one who's slow, over priced computers easily got infected by mac defender, mac flashback and many more, AFTER pretending they were impervious.  Their one supposed advantage and even that failed them.  Yep, I think I'm seeing a pattern here...

Quote:

This has gotten dull.  Either way, it's going to boil down to what people want.   If all they want is the apple logo regardless of what it does, then that's the way it will be.   At least samsung is creating competition that improves products.  Oh well, onto better things. 

Your comment on the battery is fair play - longer battery life is an advantage, but everything else you've spouted is pretty much pure crap.

You might benefit to note that the iPhones display is pretty much universally credited as better, not just by apple fans, but by journalists and e-publications without an inherent bias. The quality of a screen can't just be allocated by the number of pixels — saturation, contrast ratio and pixel density all come in to play and the iPhone has all of those to its advantage. As for size, all I can do is repeat what has already been said so many times - that the width of the iPhones screen is the exact size so that the average thumb can reach the far side to operate it.

Also, the "round corners" comments are getting old, and are entirely unfounded:

Apple have patented their trade dress, which is perfectly fair - part of the patent describes "4 equally rounded corners", but to violate the patent you would have to actually be using every single aspect of the trade dress simultaneously, which samsung have. It's legal to make a phone with 4 equally rounded corners, so long as you don't slavishly copy everything else.

Also, at least for EU buyers, apple intends to include a micro-USB to lightning adaptor. And if anything, apples connectors have only promoted the growth of a vibrant accessory ecosystem.

Now there's far too much crap in your statements for me to find the time to debunk everything else right now, but if we want to talk about fair competitors to the iPhone, then let's.

Now I don't own a smartphone. I've used a few, and through using BB and Android I've never found anything that just works as well as the iPhones I've used. But recently Nokia have turned my head. You want to talk innovation? Samsung have pretty much copied everything from the iPhone and added a few useless features (read NFC, which I'm yet to actually see used anywhere for anything, ever), but Nokia have genuinely been bringing some of the best new features to the smartphone market lately, so lets see what the S3 lacks here…

PureMotion Display (Use touchscreen with gloves on)

Wireless charging

Smart Shoot

Free Music Streaming Service

MS Office

City Lens

All of windows phone 8's social features

No Tilt-to-zoom, because it's f***ing stupid.

And couple that with a better screen and camera on the 920 (really dgaf about the faked demo videos, the camera is still better than the S3)

I like Apple and the iPhone, but I also like Nokia's Lumia series. I still think the 920 is a bit big, but if you want to demonstrate someone that actually competes with the iPhone by doing something original and innovative, and that hasn't had a 132 page internal document about how their products could be more like an iPhone leaked, please atleast use the valid example of Nokia.

Samsung have pretty much just rebranded apples ideas so they can sell to the people that don't like apple.

I'm torn between my next phone being a Lumia 820 for the features or an iPhone for the apps, (and ecosystem and features). So hey… I guess it's not just "the apple logo" that people want.

The only other thing I have to add is that the S3 is possibly the ugliest smartphone I've ever seen. It's like the designer sneezed on their blueprints while thinking up ideas and just decided to go with it.

• Reply 80 of 277
    jragosta wrote: »
    That, of course, is completely divorced from reality. Apple offers iOS updates for their phones for at least 2 years, often 3 years. For Android, OTOH, it is common that even a brand new phone doesn't have any Android upgrades available. Heck, my daughter bought an Android 2.2 phone after ICS was already out and there is no chance that it will ever be upgradeable.

Why do you harp on about this when it doesn't carry the weight you try to place on it.

Unlike Apple, Google routinely updates their applications and releases them as updates (mail etc), you don't need to wait for an OS upgrade to get a new version.

Please outline every application your daughter has not been able to install etc because she purchased (no one forced her to) a 2.2 based phone?