First Apple iPhone 5 orders now shipping from China

Comments

• Reply 41 of 88
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pesos View Post

Because Chinese labor is a lot cheaper than maintenance on expensive assembly machines. Apple brings in up to $300 profit from each iPhone, but they rather put that money in their own pockets rather than to create jobs with a decent wage in the US or China.

It doesn't bother me that companies take jobs to China, what bothers me is why they do it. They do it to exploit them with bad wages and killer hours, not to give them jobs.

A reason why I will never again buy an iPhone/iPad/Mac

You're completely hilarious, and a troll. It's like saying you will never again buy a Ford car because they include a steering wheel, ignoring the fact that every car on the planet is similar. Please, enlighten us as to which consumer electronics companies you plan to support instead? I'm honestly curious, since Apple is the only that as actually put in alot of effrot into improving things and is seeing real, tangible results as evidences by the findings of the Fair Labour Association, which conducted an independant audit of Apple's suppliers (at Apple's request), something completely unprecedented for any electronics/computer company.  My guess is you're simply an anti-Apple troll, like many others online, who couldn't give a shit about Chinese workers or labour, have never uttered a word against any other company that manufactures in China (which is all of them) but simply use the issue as another tool in their Anti-Apple bashing toolbox. 

So again, be intellectually honest, and tell us from which company you now plan to buy your computers/phones/tablets. I've asked this of many people who have expressed the same thing as you online, and as of yet haven't gotten a single answer. And I don't expect to. It's evidence that their self-righteous bleeding hearts is a sham.

• Reply 42 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by lgm313 View Post

I got the email from apple at 3:20 Easter time, I still have no tracking information, anyone else?

Happy Easter :-)

• Reply 43 of 88
    Mine is being shipped from Addison, IL!!

http://t.co/7N4xG633
  • Reply 44 of 88
    Happy Easter :-)

LOL, I meant eastern .
  • Reply 45 of 88

Looked mine up on UPS.com per the suggestion of another post. Mine says it originated in Nashville, TN - same as a few others. 

• Reply 46 of 88

Found my tracking number on UPS with my phone number even though the Apple status page still says my shipment is being prepared! Still in ZhengZhou for now, but still on time for a 9/21 delivery!

• Reply 47 of 88
    Quote:

Because Chinese labor is a lot cheaper than maintenance on expensive assembly machines. Apple brings in up to profit from each iPhone, but they rather put that money in their own pockets rather than to create jobs with a decent wage in the US or China.

It doesn't bother me that companies take jobs to China, what bothers me is why they do it. They do it to exploit them with bad wages and killer hours, not to give them jobs.

With that reasoning, soon you won't be able to buy anything. Thought of walking on a high (moral) ground? You will fall.
    Besides, what world are you living in?
  • Reply 48 of 88

Maybe by chance, what you think is your reference number, was already a valid reference number out there in the wild. i.e. that tracking is for someone elses item?

Edit: come to think of it. Most non iPhone parcels are not going to be held back until Friday...  forget I spoke!

• Reply 49 of 88
    No luck with UPS for me in the UK. They don't stick with one courier company. Depending on the products, it could either TNT, UPS or FedEx as I have in the past and unfortunately, I can't remember which deliver which. Tried the first two with my phone number but found nothing.
  • Reply 50 of 88
    I have the same shipping page for my phone as well. It looks like it has not actually shipped, but has been scanned for departure. Still, it's a good sign.
  • Reply 51 of 88

Quote:

Because Chinese labor is a lot cheaper than maintenance on expensive assembly machines. Apple brings in up to $300 profit from each iPhone, but they rather put that money in their own pockets rather than to create jobs with a decent wage in the US or China.

So since all companies do this, does that mean you won't be buying any computer or electronic products made in China etc.? Good luck finding any.

• Reply 52 of 88

Read this.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443989204577604324226426682.html

Realise that the reality whether you like it or not, the electronics / cars / power sockets / toys for your children all rely on raw materials from china... not going to change in our lifetimes, However there are moves afoot to break this domination, http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=japan-vietnam-join-forces-exploit-rare-earth-minerals

Chris

• Reply 53 of 88
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

So what will you buy, seeing as virtually every phone/tablet/PC from other companies is also made in China, although some are now being made in Vietnam?

You've chosen the stupidest reason to single out Apple, since Mike Daisey was debunked.

• Reply 54 of 88
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    Geez. Some people Had a go at me when I said they were going to ship late August early Sept fom Zhengzhou a few months ago....
  • Reply 55 of 88

As  it's really looking one of amazing information about iPhone 5. As the post shows first Apple iPhone 5 orders from China. The extreme features are really looking informative which one really enhances my amount of knowledge about it. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply 56 of 88
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member

Good to see shipping from Addison IL, I was hoping that someone else was having an iPhone shipped from there... at first I thought it was something else that was being shipped to me since the package is listed at 2 lbs. Here's hoping UPS gets a move on early!

• Reply 57 of 88
    I'll be waiting for my 64 Gig black iPhone!
  • Reply 58 of 88
    Mine is on the way, based on reference number. My opening day iPhone4 will be retired (and sold to Gazelle). The 4 was the first and last phone I will ever stay up all night for. Though did get up at 3 AM for the 5, I was able to get back to sleep later.
  • Reply 59 of 88
    berpberp Posts: 136member
    pesos wrote: »

http://www.ted.com/talks/leslie_t_chang_the_voices_of_china_s_workers.html
  • Reply 60 of 88

Mine has moved from China to Hong Kong to South Korea. 

I ordered at about 10 min after Midnight PT.