First Apple iPhone 5 orders now shipping from China

Comments

• Reply 61 of 88
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    pesos wrote: »
    Because Chinese labor is a lot cheaper than maintenance on expensive assembly machines. Apple brings in up to $300 profit from each iPhone, but they rather put that money in their own pockets rather than to create jobs with a decent wage in the US or China.

It doesn't bother me that companies take jobs to China, what bothers me is why they do it. They do it to exploit them with bad wages and killer hours, not to give them jobs.

A reason why I will never again buy an iPhone/iPad/Mac

Have you decided not to use any computers? I'm curious what consumer electronic devices you've found that doesn't use low cost labor of the kind that you abhor.

Also, I can't say it's ideal, but they are mostly escaping subsistence farming, and the factory working conditions are certainly much nicer than factory work in the US 100 years ago. I doubt Europe was any better, and Europe was a collection of colonial powers then. So who are we really to throw stones?
  • Reply 62 of 88

My black 64gb iPhone 5 is now in Hong Kong. I just got an update. The UPS schedule says "4 days to delivery." I ordered mine at 3:08 AM ET (fortunately I get up that time on Fridays to go to work anyway). My only issue is whether I should have gotten the 32GB version since so much stuff is in the cloud now.

• Reply 63 of 88

Any one that order from the att.com got the tracking number already?

• Reply 64 of 88
    My guess is that they have these staged across the US and overseas. I live in PA and Apple has a warehouse just east of Harrisburg, PA and I'm guessing that is where mine is sitting since I haven't seen a shipping notice yet (still pending shippment)and mine is scheduled for delivery on 9/21 via Apple. They usally ship with FedEx from there... Perhaps they can just install a pickup line there!
  • Reply 65 of 88

Actually, I am wondering if Apple is planning to use both UPS and Fedex ... it looks like it is UPS orders that are being processed now because Fedex has a more expedited process for shipping.

• Reply 66 of 88
    ...They're shipping from Nashville as well - or at least mine is. Shows Nashville, TN as the origin scan yesterday with delivery on Friday the 21st. I got my order in at about 12:03AM via the Apple Store app - before the website was showing the store being back online.
  • Reply 67 of 88

• Reply 68 of 88

All you peeps with delivery info, had any of you originally received the Oct 5th delivery date?? I'm assuming no, just curious.

• Reply 69 of 88

Any att?

• Reply 70 of 88
    I tracked by the reference number and mine shipped from Nashville on 09/15 via UPS.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/vbq9cwnb4lmsilg/trackinginfoiphone5.tiff
  • Reply 71 of 88
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psirix View Post

No email yet from Apple for me but if yours has shipped go to Ups.com and under "Track by Reference" and fill out date, your zip. Under "Shipment Reference" put in your phone number you have you attached to your Apple Store account. I checked mine and it shipped! Has the same arrival info, times, etc as the image in the story. Has Friday the 21st delivery as expected.

This worked for me. No shipping info from Apple and still shows 'prepping for shipment' but this worked. I guess they are so overloaded that they haven't updated the shipping info for some reason.

FYI, for the reference, just use your phone without any dashes or other punctuation and no "1". Just area code and phone number "1234567899"

• Reply 72 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psirix View Post

No email yet from Apple for me but if yours has shipped go to Ups.com and under "Track by Reference" and fill out date, your zip. Under "Shipment Reference" put in your phone number you have you attached to your Apple Store account. I checked mine and it shipped! Has the same arrival info, times, etc as the image in the story. Has Friday the 21st delivery as expected.

This Psirix!  Was able to obtain my shipping status and the tracking number...Apple Store status still says preparing for shipment.  I also signed up for e-mail status updates.

• Reply 73 of 88

Mine ordered in Germany does not show anything new - still saying delivery on 9/21 though...

I hope I get it on time and that also my Nano-SIM is on its way...

• Reply 74 of 88

removed - submitted post twice

• Reply 75 of 88

It is interesting that some peoples' shipping origin is in the US and some directly from China.  I assume that Apple has been stockpiling iPhone 5's in the US to facilitate pre-order shipping. But I wonder logistically how they determined what iPhone 5's come from inventory in the US and who gets their shipment from China.  Also, does that mean that iPhone 5's coming from a US origin were produced before iPhone 5's coming directly from China?   How long have they been in inventory in the US?  Would there be a concern over build quality for iPhone 5's coming from a US origin if they were produced in one of the first batches, before they made any final adjustments to the production process?

• Reply 76 of 88
    tonyb2264 wrote: »
     This Psirix!  Was able to obtain my shipping status and the tracking number...Apple Store status still says preparing for shipment.  I also signed up for e-mail status updates.

LL

The same thing here. I have exactly the same shipping status as yours. Louisville is about 6 hour drive from my place so now I really want to know when I will get my phone. Hopefully it will be tomorrow. Crossing my fingers~
  • Reply 77 of 88
    Louisville must be one of the major hubs where groups of orders will be split apart since the status has been stuck there for nearly 24 hours. Interesting to see the status for Wed. I'm in Houston so I'm probably right on schedule for a Fri delivery. I think they are timing/holding orders to make deliveries coincide with launch day. Would be nice to see someone celebrate early though. Good luck.
  • Reply 78 of 88
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    tonyb2264 wrote: »
    Louisville must be one of the major hubs where groups of orders will be split apart since the status has been stuck there for nearly 24 hours.

Your guess is pretty accurate. Louisville is the central UPS hub for the US: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldport_(UPS_air_hub)

It is possible that Apple paid for date-specific service where they will deliver on release day and no sooner or later. They have done that before.
  • Reply 79 of 88

Now that I see they're using UPS I'm extra glad I got the address changed.  My guys forge signatures and throw at the front porch.  I'm lucky if I have to go outside after UPS comes around and notice a package laying around.

• Reply 80 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyb2264 View Post

Louisville must be one of the major hubs where groups of orders will be split apart since the status has been stuck there for nearly 24 hours. Interesting to see the status for Wed. I'm in Houston so I'm probably right on schedule for a Fri delivery. I think they are timing/holding orders to make deliveries coincide with launch day. Would be nice to see someone celebrate early though. Good luck.

You're right. ;( It's stuck over there for almost one day already. I really think they will try to do such timing control again this time.