Purported iPhone 5 benchmark score doubles fastest iDevices, outperforms Android's best

Comments

• Reply 61 of 145
    I'm slightly confused. The benchmarks @ http://browser.primatelabs.com/android-benchmarks show the S3 with a score of 1628. The bench for the iPhone 5 is 1601.

Regardless though, that difference is intangible and that raw power will be put to much better use on iOS with optimized apps.

[B]EDIT:[/B] Nevermind. I commented off the front page article and didn't see the rest of the responses.
  • Reply 62 of 145
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'm particularly skeptical since this says it's ARMv7 - which is a Cortex core. I don't believe a cortex core at 1.02 GHz would have this performance.

It seems quite reasonable to me.  

It's a *custom* ARMv7 core running Cortex A-15 compatible instructions whereas Samsung uses generic parts in their SoC's.  Other than Qualcom, no one is even attempting this kind of design in ARM CPUs.  There is only even one other part out there that is even A-15 compatible.  

If anyone should be getting weirdly high "over-performance" out of their chips it's the company that is using the best of the ARM technology,and  making customisation of it, the core of their processor strategy.  

• Reply 63 of 145
    Relax guys, the gs3 and nexus 7 scores are AVERAGE, meaning every benchmark put together and divided by the number of benchmarks. The iPhone 5 link is for a specific benchmark of 1 device.

That's why you see the s3 numbers rise a few hours later, likely when this news broke out folks with gs3 wanted to try out the benchmark themselves and the average changed.
  • Reply 64 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by techfox View Post

I'm slightly confused. The benchmarks @ http://browser.primatelabs.com/android-benchmarks show the S3 with a score of 1628. The bench for the iPhone 5 is 1601.

Regardless though, that difference is intangible and that raw power will be put to much better use on iOS with optimized apps.

Samsung Galaxy S3 was benchmarked 19 hours ago at 1560.

• Reply 65 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by Open Source Fan View Post

Impressive by Apple standards, not so impressive against Android devices. By the same websites data the Samsung Galaxy S III (1628) and Asus Nexus 7 (1604) outperform the iPhone 5 score of 1601. If anything this shows just how lacking Apple hardware has been compared to Android options. The iPhone 4S got a 631… you realize how long Android devices have been much faster than that using this same data right? From this same website there are 27 Android devices with a score over 800. "no iOS device has surpassed the 800 mark, as last year's iPhone 4S netted a 631 while the third-generation iPad (CDMA) scored 734." There was a time that Apple set the bar, however Android has been moving at a much faster pace and Apple is now only playing catch-up.

Good to see that there are blind people available to make a point ;)

That higher benchmark of the SIII and Nexus 7 are because they're quadcore CPU's and have a higher clockrate. So you're basically saying that Android phones can outperform Apple, because Apple isn't so much doing much innovation by cramping more cores on a CPU? So you're forgetting the fact that Apple is capable of getting a similar, álmost highest, benchmark rating with just 2 cores, all the while getting better power management at the same time?

Let me think this through for a moment... ;)

• Reply 66 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by makingdots View Post

Samsung Galaxy S3 was benchmarked 19 hours ago at 1560.

Why'd it change?

• Reply 67 of 145

Originally Posted by mausz View Post

What's impressive with besting a Galaxy S3 with 0.8%, while that S3 has been out for 4 months, or a tegra 3 device with 0.1% while that same tegra 3 has been out for almost a year ?

Funny how the trolls never said that when the Galaxy S III started outselling the iPhone… Maybe… time has nothing to do with any argument?

Within the next months we'll see the first real A15 dual cores, and even A15 quad cores, which will probably double these figures again and be made available in android/wp8 devices in Q1-2013.

1. Is the iPhone's not a "real" A15 chip?

2. How do you expect Android to perform any better when the software can't be written for the hardware?

Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

this isn't allowed in these here parts...

No, lying is allowed. Just don't expect to be taken seriously after.

Originally Posted by eAbyss View Post

True or not though you'd still be stuck running only what Apple allows you. The great wall of Apple is a real pain in the ass.

Yeah, how's that software update working for you? Certainly no "artificial limitations" happening on Android!

Originally Posted by You Smell View Post

Why'd it change?

Because paid Samsung shills read this forum and others. Now the question is "Can any GSIII on the street, picked at random, still get this same score?"

• Reply 68 of 145
    Hmm? This isn't the story that other Apple-related news sites are reporting. Mac Observer reports that while the iPhone 5 scores very well, it is beaten by the Nexus 7 and GSIII. http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/iphone-5-geekbench-results-show-150-increase-over-iphone-4s . See also http://browser.primatelabs.com/android-benchmarks

But more to the point -- I thought the consensus was that synthetic microbenchmarks don't really matter to consumers. I doubt that a single person bought an iPhone 5 or a GS3 because of its score on GeekBench, Egypt, Browsermark, or any other such test. There seems to be a double standard among (some) Apple fans -- when an Android device outperforms its iOS counterpart, the benchmark is dismissed as irrelevant. But when iOS outperforms Android, we see folks shouting from the rooftops.
  • Reply 69 of 145
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

There was a time that Apple set the bar, however Android has been moving at a much faster pace and Apple is now only playing catch-up.

Apple is still setting the bar. Perhaps not is raw speed but surely in usability.  My iPhones have always performed flawlessly. I have never used an Android phone but I certainly don't have any complaints about iPhone. As long as the phone is fast enough for the intended purpose, the advantages of one over the other should be gauged by user experience, fit an finish, battery life, upgradability, ecosystem, and security. You know, the things that actually matter.

• Reply 70 of 145
    [LIST]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [/LIST]
    Although a very impressive number, it actually wasn't "outperforming" every "iOS and Android devices on the website." Was the Geekbench article source link omitted from this post by mistake? For the sake of objectivity, there was a mention of the Samsung S3 scoring 1781: http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1026099

I personally don't care for benchmarks, as the user's experience and personal needs determine the best tools.
  • Reply 71 of 145
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

I spent a couple of decades as a fan of Apple's products but never bought them b/c I had a shit job and couldn't afford them.  Even when I did I started easy w/a Mac Mini for myself after we had bought the first iPad for my wife.  We have shifted to entirely OS X and iOS in the house since then.  Heck I loved the look of the G4 Cube, but it was expensive as hell and then of course the issue of the cracks.  Doesn't mean I didn't admire the product and I was glad to see Jobs back at Apple.  It's entirely possible to be a fan of something but still be from afar.

In your case, cost was the only issue. I don't see how cost is an issue in the case of being an "Android fan" yet not a user of any device that uses the platform. Makes even less sense when he continually posts on an Apple forum about it. It's like be continuingly trolling Mercedes forums about how their products are garbage, and claiming I'm huge Ford fan, when I don't even own or use a Ford car. What the ****?

• Reply 72 of 145
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

Impressive by Apple standards, not so impressive against Android devices. By the same websites data the Samsung Galaxy S III (1628) and Asus Nexus 7 (1604) outperform the iPhone 5 score of 1601. If anything this shows just how lacking Apple hardware has been compared to Android options. The iPhone 4S got a 631… you realize how long Android devices have been much faster than that using this same data right? From this same website there are 27 Android devices with a score over 800. "no iOS device has surpassed the 800 mark, as last year's iPhone 4S netted a 631 while the third-generation iPad (CDMA) scored 734." There was a time that Apple set the bar, however Android has been moving at a much faster pace and Apple is now only playing catch-up.

Yet I've tried all flagship Android phones, and the 4S still faster/more responsive then all of them in real world usage. Incredible, eh? Your posts are no shock based on your username, but try to understand that 99.99% of people don't give a shit about specs, only real world performance. The 4S was not lacking in this regard, and the 5 won't either. The only place Apple is playing "catch-up" is in the fictional world in your mind, especially since they're now custom designing their processors. I'd say that puts them ahead of the game,, and they will reap countless advantages from doing so. 

Also, please stop comparing "Apple" to "Android". How the hell can Android be "moving faster" when it comes to hardware? It's a damn OS. OEMs use it, then add their own hardware. "Android" has nothing to do with benchmarks. Such an insanely stupid, mindless comparison that shows you don't have a clue of what you're talking about. Heard of the galaxy Note 10.1? Super high specced, quad core, 2GB RAM, runs like complete shit. But please, go right ahead and buy it for the specs, like the educated, enlightened buyer that you are. 

• Reply 73 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

But more to the point -- I thought the consensus was that synthetic microbenchmarks don't really matter to consumers. I doubt that a single person bought an iPhone 5 or a GS3 because of its score on GeekBench, Egypt, Browsermark, or any other such test. There seems to be a double standard among (some) Apple fans -- when an Android device outperforms its iOS counterpart, the benchmark is dismissed as irrelevant. But when iOS outperforms Android, we see folks shouting from the rooftops.

The consensus is that performance matters, not specs. Which also happens to be what this benchmark validates. You have a Dual core processor besting Quad cores and giving credence to what I've said all along: If your OS and hardware are optimized specs shouldn't matter.

Adding a quad core processor doesn't cover up your insufficiencies... When Apple runs circles around you with a dual core processor, it highlights them.

Imagine what Apple could do with a quad core processor.

• Reply 74 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Considering it's the USB connector, the one that Apple championed and was the first to use on all of their products,which they're now throwing under the bus with all of their devices upgraded with Thunderbolt and Lightning... yes.. it will take a year or longer(?) for OEM's both desktop and mobile to realize that once again... they've been run over(!).

Apple will be making AND selling the iPhone 4 and/or 4S for at least two more years so if anyone has been thrown under a bus, it's gonna be a very slow bus.

In addition Apple will be selling the current and previous iPads, the previous iPod Touch, the iPod shuffle, and the iPod Classic for a year or more as well. 

Don't you have anything else to do rather than make an ass out of yourself?

• Reply 75 of 145

First off, you can always tell when people arent reading the comments before posting.  The timestamp on those newer scores for teh S3 and Nexus are AFTER the timestamp on this article.

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

Normal consumers, not so much.  Super geeks yes.  I know people who used to buy new videocards every 6 months b/c they wanted the bragging rights of "fastest videocard out there".  I see these same people posting about buying their 5th phone of the year b/c it's now the fastest or added some new feature, etc.  So a very small % indeed, buy saying no one does this kind of thing is silly. 

As to the point about the double standard, I think what happens is you have people give their opinions on the OSes being best and then escalation starts to happen.  First it becomes specs or feature comparison, then it moves on to benchmarks.  Once you have moved on to that stage, you get the alternate arguments of "I'm faster no!" "that doesn't matter!" or "Look I'm faster again" "So what I sold way more than you last quarter".  You can attribute eitehr side of these examples to Android or iOS and still be correct, especially if you don't try and apply teh 2nd set to an individual phone model but are going for OS.  Constantly shifting goalposts and new comparisons are always going to happen.

Also, given that we only get new iOS phones once a year, expect to see the crowd who normally doesn't give 2 shits about benchmarks go wild about them around launch time just b/c they listen to trash talk all year long.  *shrug*  It's stupid on both sides, but thats kind of human nature.

• Reply 76 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

Nope, it doesn't beat every Android device. Galaxy S3 with Samsung Exynos 4412 1400 MHz Quad core has 1628 score. The Asus Nexus 7 with NVIDIA Tegra 3 T30L 1300 MHz Quad core has 1604 score.

That's fraud most likely.

Those devices have been out for a while now, and those scores are very recent additions, probably by some Fandroid or paid shills overclocking or otherwise manipulating the results. When the article was written, those scores didn't exist. 

• Reply 77 of 145

Speaking of Android, openness, etc, this is some funny stuff going on right now:

http://allthingsd.com/20120916/google-and-alibaba-continue-warring-over-acer-phone/

Google it seems is now resorting to threats and intimidation to keep Android forks (or is it just another Linux based system) out of the market. So much for "open", "Don't be evil", and all that. What's that you say? Yes, I know, but Google seems awfully upset that someone is, they claim, stealing their IP. Maybe they should just innovate, not intimidate.

• Reply 78 of 145
    dazweeja wrote: »
    So last week when the current iPhone was clocking pathetic scores in this benchmark, the numbers didn't matter because it as all about the user experience. Right now, it's all about the numbers and how fast the new iPhone is. In a month or two, when the first Qualcomm S4 Pro phones are released and smash these scores, the numbers won't matter again because it will be all about the user experience. You can't have it both ways - either the benchmarks mean something and the iPhone is slower than other phones for 10 months of every 12-month release cycle or they don't.

The user experience is the most important factor. But, it is nice that the numbers currently are better than the competition if only because the competition holds those numbers in such high regard.
  • Reply 79 of 145

It make me piss to see how much people cares much more for synthetic benchmark and meaning less numbers than real technologies inside tech gadgets.

I found somewhat disturbing how much Fandroid dismiss all Dalvik VM atrocity.  To skip all the detail, let's say pure C runtime environment like iOS will be forever more efficient than running Java bytecodes into a VM on a C plateform. 

I think people has forget about the early days of NeXT, it was developed on a 33Mhz CISC processor. 

• Reply 80 of 145
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

One of the most recent RDF was when SJ explained the "death grip" issue of Iphone. He was faulting the users for holding the phone the wrong way and the fact that signals did fluctuate from time to time- only he neglected to mention that the lost signals are happening so frequently and so predictably for certain batches of Iphone, and the fact that Apple engineers were ever so quietly fixing the antenna trouble by modifying its design. SJ should just admitted that it was just a design issue instead of having to warp Iphone's flaw with his usual RDF. 

This infamous RDF moment was also captured in one publication when an iPhone user Aram from Arizona State had written a short email to SJ:

Hi Mr. Jobs,

I love my new iPhone 4 (nice work) but when I put my hand on the steel bands I lose all reception.

It appears to be a common issue. Any plans to fix this?

SJ responded to this email in an even briefer fashion, he wrote:

Just avoid holding it that way. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Considering that even Google admitted with their release of Jelly Bean, that the UI and UX most definitely needed refinement and needed to be smoother... well what does Apple's RDF have to do with it? Apple's devices have all run smoothly since at least the iP3.

iOS 6 and the new hardware just adds to what was always the smoothest and most responsive hardware on the market... even if it was out-spec'ed. Those SIII's are not faster in everyday use than even the iPhone 4s... so again, no RDF from Apple is needed. It's just plain fact at this point, and Google is "trying' to address that fact.

Or do you know more than your beloved Android engineers too now?