iPhone owners fuel 265% increase in eBay trade-in offers following iPhone 5 debut

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26

How about a story for those of us with out-of-contract iPhones (such as the 3Gs) who are looking to upgrade, but not necessarily to a new in-contract iPhone 5?  What are my options for purchasing, say, a used iPhone 4s?  

• Reply 22 of 26

How about a story for those of us with out-of-contract iPhones (such as the 3Gs) who are looking to upgrade, but not necessarily to a new in-contract iPhone 5?  What are my options for purchasing, say, a used iPhone 4s?  

• Reply 23 of 26

my apple iphone 4s 16gb black ATT is on the regular ebay for $345 buy it now... the instant sale offer goes to all tech wholesale? which i heard is awful!!! they get your phone and want to offer much less than original offer!

• Reply 24 of 26

my apple iphone 4s 16gb black ATT is on the regular ebay for $345 buy it now... the instant sale offer goes to all tech wholesale? which i heard is awful!!! they get your phone and want to offer much less than original offer!

• Reply 25 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Lynn View Post

If you don't want a contract, just get one on ebay.  There are a multitude of price points for auction, and buy-it-now prices.  You are also protected from fraudulent sellers by the necessity of using PayPal (which I hate, but it is the only way you can use ebay anymore).  Just look for a few days, build up a watch list, and see what they are selling for before purchasing, and you will get an excellent idea of what to pay.  Used, excellent condition, iphone4S's are going for around $300 or less for a 16gb version, and above $300 for 32gb versions, and around $400 for 64gb versions.  If you don't mind blemishes/cracks, etc, you can pay a lot less, even though the phones will work just fine, unless the seller discloses some functional issues.

• Reply 26 of 26

I wish I had looked into this further before I used them. I trusted the Ebay brand and that a big company like that wouldn't rip me off. Wow, was I wrong.

The ask only a super general condition assessment before making their offer. Concerned about this I called and asked what the inspection criteria are and was pretty specific. They assured my if the phone was cosmetically in descent shape and worked my offer would be honored. Once they got the phone my offer dropped from $235, to $100 because of "dead pixels". What a scam. The phone was like new.

Here is the email I wrote eBay Instant Sale in rejecting their offer:

[I]"I went out of my way to call your company in advance to understand what the valuation criteria is. Based on my trust in Ebay as a company and the specifics offered in that call I chose eBay for the transaction. There were a number of options I was considering.

The final valuation is less than half the original offer and does not reflect the criteria described to me in advance. To lower a valuation over half is a steep adjustment. That type of adjustment means these criteria are considered "huge" and they could easily have been outlined in advance (strict review policies based on... etc). They could have been outlined online or in my very specific call to you before I accepted the offer. I was assured as long as the item was not dramatically physically damaged and worked, that my offer would be honored. No mention of other criteria or inspection types. I was specific in my call.

You misled me, wasted my time, and now upon sending the phone back I have lost the opportunity to sell the item at the price I would have received when I selected eBay.

This is basically fraud – making a misrepresentation – agreeing to a finical transaction under specific terms and then not honoring it.

Though I didn't look into it before I selected eBay I have since searched online and found a shocking number or reviews and comments reflecting the same experience I've had."

It's sad to me that eBay has allowed themselves to sink to a level where they are involved in something like this to make money. This has changed my opinion of eBay and I will be sure to warn anyone I know that this is how eBay operates.[/I]

Don't trust these guys. And shame on eBay. For real.