iPhone owners fuel 265% increase in eBay trade-in offers following iPhone 5 debut

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Current owners of Apple's iPhone, including the last-generation iPhone 4S, accounted for 69 percent of a 256 percent increase in trade-in offers through eBay's Instant Sale service after the new iPhone 5 was announced last week, while Android devices amounted to only 16 percent of total offers.

Since the iPhone 5 was announced on Sept. 12, eBay Instant Sale trade-in offers for legacy handsets increased 256 percent from the same period one week prior, according to metrics provided to AppleInsider.

iPhone 5
Source: Apple


While the data comes from offers generated by eBay's Instant Sale and do not reflect actual trade-ins, the numbers could be indicative of the overall trend in who is upgrading to the new Apple smartphone.

The huge jump in trade-in offers was driven mainly by existing iPhone users looking to offload their old devices, presumably to fund the purchase of the new iPhone 5.

In all, offers generated for iOS devices came in at 69 percent, followed by Android products with 16 percent and all others accounting for 4 percent. Of those iPhone owners requesting trade-in values, 46 percent were looking to sell the iPhone 4, 40 percent for iPhone 4S, 8 percent for iPhone 3GS and 6 percent for iPhone 3G. eBay further broke down the generated offers, saying the top five devices generating offers were iOS devices:
  1. iPhone 4 32GB AT&T
  2. iPhone 4s 64GB
  3. iPhone 4 16GB AT&T
  4. iPhone 4s 16GB
  5. iPhone 4s 32GB
While Apple has yet to win over the Android set, the iPhone upgrade market appears to be alive and well despite ever-increasing U.S. smartphone saturation.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 26
    Apple isn't capable of supporting the numbers to satisfy Android users if they decided to switch. Foxconn couldn't keep up with the supply, so it really doesn't matter. Besides, carriers will continue to push non-Apple products on consumers because cellphone carrier salespeople get incentives to sell non-Apple smartphones.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    My cracked iPhone 4S sold in 20 secs on eBay with my posted BIN price, don't know why people don't just sell it outright then trade it in to these companies that literally rip you off.
  • Reply 3 of 26


    It's funny… It's only a few days after announcement and the new iPhone already doesn't appear "stretched" at all. It feels absolutely natural that a screen of that shape and size would fit in that aesthetic, which is similar to the previous. 


     


    … Not so if both bezels had been removed, that's for sure. 


     


    I predict that in 6-12 months, we'll have wondered how we got along with only five rows of icons on each Home Screen… 

  • Reply 4 of 26
    swssws Posts: 44member


    I was going to post my iPhone 4S on Ebay, but I don't "need" the money so I think I am just going to hold onto it. Should I break/loose my iPhone 5, it would be nice to have a quick replacement until I can get another. . . .

  • Reply 5 of 26

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SWS View Post


    I was going to post my iPhone 4S on Ebay, but I don't "need" the money so I think I am just going to hold onto it. Should I break/loose my iPhone 5, it would be nice to have a quick replacement until I can get another. . . .



    Good idea! :)

  • Reply 6 of 26
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,724member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    It's funny… It's only a few days after announcement and the new iPhone already doesn't appear "stretched" at all...



    Such was my response too when I looked at the image in this post.

  • Reply 7 of 26
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,724member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post



    ...carriers will continue to push non-Apple products on consumers because cellphone carrier salespeople get incentives to sell non-Apple smartphones.


    Why are they given incentives?

  • Reply 8 of 26
    swssws Posts: 44member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post


    Why are they given incentives?



     


    From my understanding, Carriers have to make up close to the full cost of the iPhone. Sure, they have to fork up some money to cover some costs of Android phones, but from what I understand, Apple demands a high price from the carriers.


     


    They stand to make more money from the Android devices.

  • Reply 9 of 26


    Originally Posted by SWS View Post

    From my understanding, Carriers have to make up close to the full cost of the iPhone. Sure, they have to fork up some money to cover some costs of Android phones, but from what I understand, Apple demands a high price from the carriers.


     


    They stand to make more money from the Android devices.



     


    High-end Android phones cost exactly the same as the iPhone. They have NO excuse. They're being paid off by SOMEONE, somewhere.

  • Reply 10 of 26

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    It's funny… It's only a few days after announcement and the new iPhone already doesn't appear "stretched" at all. It feels absolutely natural that a screen of that shape and size would fit in that aesthetic, which is similar to the previous. 


     


    … Not so if both bezels had been removed, that's for sure. 


     


    I predict that in 6-12 months, we'll have wondered how we got along with only five rows of icons on each Home Screen… 



     


     


    Is this the iPhone you are looking for?


     


     


  • Reply 11 of 26


    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

    Is this the iPhone you are looking for?


     


    Wow, that takes me back. I actually installed Jared back on 1.1.2 to see what it was. 



    Stupid, is what it was.image

  • Reply 12 of 26
    Looks like last year's Google TV remote, only better designed with fewer buttons!
  • Reply 13 of 26
    High-end Android phones cost exactly the same as the iPhone. They have NO excuse. They're being paid off by SOMEONE, somewhere.

    Do you really think the carriers are paying the same price to Samsung for the SIII as for the iPhone5? No Way!
  • Reply 14 of 26
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member


    I'm going to have AT&T unlock my 4s and I'll use it as my travel abroad phone

  • Reply 15 of 26
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,724member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    I'm going to have AT&T unlock my 4s and I'll use it as my travel abroad phone



    Interesting - any particular advantages in this? I'm intending to use my iP4 as a data acquisition etc system.

  • Reply 16 of 26

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post



    My cracked iPhone 4S sold in 20 secs on eBay with my posted BIN price, don't know why people don't just sell it outright then trade it in to these companies that literally rip you off.


     


    How much were you asking?

  • Reply 17 of 26
    ^this is not the droid you're looking for. -O. Kenobi
  • Reply 18 of 26
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 5,730member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SWS View Post


    I was going to post my iPhone 4S on Ebay, but I don't "need" the money so I think I am just going to hold onto it. Should I break/loose my iPhone 5, it would be nice to have a quick replacement until I can get another. . . .





    I'm doing the same for mine.  I'm keeping it not only as a backup phone, but also to use as a local test device.



    I'm just waiting to see the iP5 in person before I make my purchase.  Still not certain which color to pick.

  • Reply 19 of 26
    sflocal wrote: »

    I'm doing the same for mine.  I'm keeping it not only as a backup phone, but also to use as a local test device.


    I'm just waiting to see the iP5 in person before I make my purchase.  Still not certain which color to pick.

    I'm in the same boat in every regard but I'm leaning toward white.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,724member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post





    I'm in the same boat in every regard but I'm leaning toward white.


    The black/slate is just too sexy! (Looks like white misses out again lol.)

Sign In or Register to comment.