Review Roundup: iPhone 5 surprisingly light, battery life impresses

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I think it's just lazy writing when they say that.  If you can't elucidate a complaint, then you probably shouldn't state it at all.  

That being said, I have some serious complaints about iOS and I would agree that it is the main aspect of the new iPhone that is disappointing.  Far from being stale though, I think it really needs fleshing out and polishing.  There is so much of iOS that is only partially formed even after the sixth revision.  There are so many apps that don't function even half as well as their counterparts on "real" computers.  

I think they really need to take the whole iOS team including those that develop the built in apps, and the flagship apps like Pages, iMovie etc. on a retreat and just start from the ground up all over again.  There are a lot of things that are just plain awful that perhaps need to be rethought, there are also a lot of things that just don't work together or have been waiting for years to get feature parity with basic software on other alternative platforms.  

Just to pick on email ... why is it still so bad after all this time?  Why add "VIP's" (of dubious use to the vast majority of users), when you still can't mark junk mail?  Why do all the filters no longer work properly since the last update?  Why not try to actually make the mail and all the folders appear on all the devices in the same way?  That alone would be a miracle. 

Basically I think they've been so busy lately that they can't see the forest for the trees.  Everything seems confused, and poorly thought out lately.  There is a real lack of focus.  

See? Now that's a fair complaint, although its more with the native apps that the OS as a whole.

The technocrat seem to want the OS itself to be flashier, with widgets, etc.
  • Reply 22 of 66
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The geeks think iOS is dated because they don't understand what makes good software. They want NFC, too, for example, at the hardware level, because they forget to think about the hardware infrastructure required worldwide in each store in order to make use of said feature in a way that is effortless, ubiquitous, and easy for the consumer to understand.

They want change for change's sake and don't care or understand minimalism or restraint. As an Apple user I can put my hard on my heart and say the reason why I use their products is design, taste, minimalism and restraint. It's not about features, never was, and Apple still gets round to those eventually, and keeps implementing them better than the other guys.

This is why Apple is the biggest company on the planet, but tech blog commenters don't understand this, still.
  • Reply 23 of 66
    tylerk36 wrote: »
    I like the new iPhone 5.  But I just don't see any reason to upgrade to the 5 from the 4s.  If I had money to burn, maybe.  But my iPhone 4s is gonna run the new iOS6 with the new SIRI. I just don't have the motivation to upgrade right now.

Upgrading every year is dumb anyway.
  • Reply 24 of 66
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Just to pick on email ... why is it still so bad after all this time?  Why add "VIP's" (of dubious use to the vast majority of users), when you still can't mark junk mail?  Why do all the filters no longer work properly since the last update?  Why not try to actually make the mail and all the folders appear on all the devices in the same way?  That alone would be a miracle.

Fair complaints about Mail but I personally don't care about those shortcomings. What I want from Mail are twofold 1) iCloud having server-side rules so that they are synced across all devices (unless I choose a rule and say it's only for one device or device type), and 2) let me change my goddamn default Mail app (This goes for browser and maps, too).
  • Reply 25 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

I always hear peopl say that iOS is "dated" or "stale".

It's always a sweeping statement with nothing to explain what is dated and/or stale.

The purpose of an OS is to allow you to do what you want quickly and easily. iOS is minimalistic and gets you to what you want to do (apps) quickly and with stability. What more do you want? What more does OS X do?

I think people just want new "shiny" things.

You hear it from people who don't know jack about Operating Systems, Compiler Tools, Object-Oriented Programming and their accompanying Frameworks. You'll never hear it from people who know all four I've just listed.

• Reply 26 of 66
    ireland wrote: »

With the iPhone you can usually get a much better and newer device with little to no out of pocket expense after you sell your previous model. It's a very unique occurrence in the CE market and something that even iPhone users don't readily consider when debating getting a new device.
  • Reply 27 of 66
    sodaholic wrote: »
    Not iphone user here, but I love the new iphone – black one, the size and all in black really hit my heart. But the only thing I still concern is: I really hate to use itunes…

Apple cut the iPhone from iTunes in iOS 5. And iOS 6 is out in days. Just saying.
  • Reply 28 of 66
    pendergast wrote: »
    See? Now that's a fair complaint, although its more with the native apps that the OS as a whole.
    The technocrat seem to want the OS itself to be flashier, with widgets, etc.

Widgets are an abomination.
  • Reply 29 of 66
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

I always hear peopl say that iOS is "dated" or "stale".

It's always a sweeping statement with nothing to explain what is dated and/or stale.

The purpose of an OS is to allow you to do what you want quickly and easily. iOS is minimalistic and gets you to what you want to do (apps) quickly and with stability. What more do you want? What more does OS X do?

I think people just want new "shiny" things.

I tried out Samesung's Galaxy Tab again (at yet another empty, no-traffic display) and I just kept shaking my head in disappointment.  It hurt.  I really, really hurt to use that crap of an Android OS.  It was just like using a Windows XP OS, and not in a good way.

I'll take that "stale" iOS anyday over an OS that is reserved for folks with extreme ADHD.  I'm so over that.  Shame that the fandroids have that low of standards to accept such mediocrity.  It's really sad.

• Reply 30 of 66

Someone talk about screen glare? Or lack of it? (Please).

• Reply 31 of 66
    I don't understand Pogue questioning the connector change. Does he really think Apple should the same, long ago outdated 30-pin connector it had almost a decade ago? Does he expect Apple to use it for another decade or want Apple to use a vastly inferior in very way micro-USB connector?
  • Reply 32 of 66

The new iPhone is killer! It looks gorgeous, and it obviously looks even better in person! The insides of the phone aint too shabby either, destroying all other phones on the planet.

The iPhone is simply put the best phone in the world, in terms of looks, quality, OS, raw power, battery life and usability. Apple sure knocked it out of the ballpark with this one!

The competitors don't stand a chance. Fandroids go home.

• Reply 33 of 66
    Can't wait to own the most advance smartphone on this planet............bye bye S3 and Mr Green Man. See you all in the next decade when you try not to copy Apple and play catch up again........LOL!
  • Reply 34 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

For some people, maybe.

• Reply 35 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't understand Pogue questioning the connector change. 

He's obviously wrong about that. The old connector had been around for almost a decade, and a change was obviously needed to accommodate all of the super slim devices that Apple is releasing and will be releasing.

In ten years time, if he is still around, he can whine about how Apple finally abandoned the Lightning connector which served them well for ten years when Apple makes a move to an even newer type of connector that will be introduced. Or maybe there won't even be connectors ten years from now. Either way, anybody whining about the connector change is totally clueless, and doesn't understand how progress works.

• Reply 36 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Bailey View Post

Someone talk about screen glare? Or lack of it? (Please).

Suppose it's a problem, do you have a Plan B?

• Reply 37 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

In ten years time, if he is still around, he can whine about how Apple finally abandoned the Lightning connector which served them well for ten years when Apple makes a move to an even newer type of connector that will be introduced. 

Agreed. But the adapter could have been priced lower (given what it likely costs to produce), or one included with the new iPhone. Especially considering that many iPhone users have iPods and iPads that still use the 30-pin connector.

• Reply 38 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Agreed. But the adapter could have been priced lower (given what it likely costs to produce), or one included with the new iPhone. Especially considering that many iPhone users have iPods and iPads that still use the 30-pin connector.

I don't disagree with you on the cost issue. I guess that nobody is surprised though, since Apple adaptors and cables have never been cheap.

• Reply 39 of 66
    drblank wrote: »
    Based on what evidence? Apple has started off selling twice as many units as last year's launch.   When Apple actually signs on both China Mobile, T-Mobile and other carriers still left to sign-on, they'll rack up more sales in new markets.

What I see is a lot of Android people are actually getting fed up with their SIII's already. I know one that can't stand her SIII and she's only had it maybe two months, if that.

What people don't realize is that these Android phones aren't that great.  I think the bigger screens and the eye candy is enticing, but that novelty wears off.

Who knows, Apple may just, in fact, release another model that has a bigger screen as a choice.  If Apple gets enough demand for a larger screen version, I think it would be in Apple's best interest to have two model sizes.  One is the 4in and the other is a 5in. And then the market will figure out which they prefer.  I can see the argument for both size screens, since some people have bigger or smaller hands or different needs for each screen size.

Apple does have two size screens for their laptops/desktops.

Your sarcasm detector is disabled.
  • Reply 40 of 66
    How about someone mentioning all the old peripherals that will now go to landfills due to the reluctance of users to get a $30 adapter for the new connector.