Review Roundup: iPhone 5 surprisingly light, battery life impresses

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    delete wrote: »
    How about someone mentioning all the old peripherals that will now go to landfills due to the reluctance of users to get a $30 adapter for the new connector.

Not really. They'll simply end up on eBay where they get sold to people who don't need/can't afford the latest devices.
  • Reply 62 of 66
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I wish the Verge and ArsTechnica were given review units. I think those sites are so much better than CNet and Engadget. But I suppose its because CNet and Engadget get more page hits.

Verge has become a terrible site, ran one of the worst stories on iPhone 5, and besides it always crashes my iPad 1.

Edit: let me change that to: . . . ran one of the stupidest and most thick-headed reviews of the iPhone 5, worse because it was masked as cleverness.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/13/3323082/iphone-5-predictable-73-degrees-sunny
  • Reply 63 of 66
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Not really. They'll simply end up on eBay where they get sold to people who don't need/can't afford the latest devices.

You're in a reasonable mood this morning. I was going to smack him for sending stuff to the dump when it should be recycled at the Goodwill at least.
  • Reply 64 of 66
    richl wrote: »
    I guess the main complaint is that Apple has changed the connector without it benefiting the consumer in any way. For example, if the iPhone 5 supported USB 3.0* or Thunderbolt then I don't think the complaints would have been justified.
    (* Does the iPhone 5 support USB 3.0? I saw a lot of rumours but not confirmation from Apple.)

That's pointless wish for people to have. The connector can support anything Apple chooses it to support. The reason it still supports USB 2.0 is because it's what they've been supporting for 8 years with the 30-pin connector and the NAND is still a bottleneck for performance.

This design does help the consumer. It's a better port. It allows for better products moving forward. Internally it's adaptive so it can output various signal types as Apple sees fit without a need for specific pins for each function. it's a sleeper feature.
  • Reply 65 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I find myself being bugged an extraordinarily large amount by all the little things that I can't change like the new "VIPs" in mail.  It's a feature I will never use, it's ugly ("stars" of any kind are just tackiness personified), it's right at the top of my folder list, and it can't be removed.  It's the kind of feature a tech blogger or Apple employee would love because they get an ocean of email and want to separate out the "good" ones only, but the average person just doesn't get that much email.  It's something that I could really use in my work email but something I will never, ever have a use for in my personal email (which is what I use on my iPhone).  A simple setting to say use/don't use this feature would be really practical, but it goes against Apple dogma so it probably won't happen.  I have to stare at that stupid ugly star every single time I use my email now for at least a year, possibly many years. Why?  Dogma.  

WOW, JUST WOW, you could not be more wrong on the typical user regarding email and the VIP aspect.

• Reply 66 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

I think people just want new "shiny" things.

Like the new "shiny" AppleInsider...