Apple 'working hard' to rectify Maps issues, appreciates 'customer feedback'

Comments

• Reply 141 of 259
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I don't see the problem with Passbook. It's better than having a separate app for each loyalty card / gift card etc

It would be more useful w/ NFC payments but that could happen with the 5S, who knows?
    OK maybe Passbook will turn out to be something great but maps and Siri suck. And those were two of the biggest features Forstall pimped at WWDC and iPhone keynote.

I actually can't believe Cook allowed iOS 6 out the sorry with such a horrible map app. And for everyone pointing us to th App Store, well then Apple should have left the native map app off of iOS 6 until it as in better shape and directed people to the App Store. Or better yet don't try to become a mapping company and leave it to pros like Google.
  • Reply 142 of 259

"We launched this new map service knowing it is a major initiative and that we are just getting started with it. Maps is a cloud-based solution and the more people use it, the better it will get. We appreciate all of the customer feedback and are working hard to make the customer experience even better."

What is that Greek Letter that comes after Alpha again?

• Reply 143 of 259
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The big rectangular thing with windows and I don't mean the Surface tablet makes frequent stops catch that and use your mouth to talk to the driver.

...like on FaceBook or something?

• Reply 144 of 259

Originally Posted by Odysseus1923 View Post

So you are going to remove my post Tallest Skil just because I criticised Apple and your over the top fanboy attitude. Apple messed up just be a man and accept that sometimes they are not 100% prefect.

Which one, the one where you used inappropriate language or the one where you insulted another member of the forum? Because they were both deleted.

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I do when I'm actually being sarcastic.

Oh, okay, so you were just being irrational there.

• Reply 145 of 259
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Everyone knows there will be improvements from Apple but you don't replace a 10 years product with one which is only usable about 10%. .

Only 10% usable? It would be interesting to find out where you got that number.

Not to mention, of course, that they're not replacing a 10 year old product. The iPhone is only 4 years old, so how are they replacing a 10 year old product? You can't compare Google Maps on a PC to the mobile version.

quadra 610 wrote: »
    I have to disagree here. The "don't worry, there are other solutions" seems like a massive cop-out, and a dangerous one. If that attitude persists, it could affect much more than a maps app. 

I don't see a cop out. You were using Google's maps before. You can download Google Maps soon and continue to use Google's maps. Apple is simply offering an alternative that is superior in some ways and not in others. If history is any guide, the capabilities will grow rapidly until it becomes the premier solution. How is that a dangerous attitude?

tyler82 wrote: »
    I don't know why Apple decided to become a mapping company. Totally unnecessary, the Google Maps app was perfectly fine. These tedious little cat fights are what bring companies and countries crashing down by draining their talent and resources. 

Then talk to Google who declined to renew the contract.
    hill60 wrote: »
    I went for my morning walk today and due to the lack of street view, I can't find my house, now I am forever doomed to roam these nameless streets...

.../s

Well said. I can't understand the fixation on street view. If you can read a map, it's not really necessary.
  • Reply 146 of 259

Granted, there may be a million (ok, 2 or 3...) ways of going about it. So they chose to go with a beta (alpha?), deal with it. Admittedly, I have not used the new Maps very much yet, but I believe I will be pleased. There are other options available, if you absolutely hate their solution. If you're not guiding cruise missiles through somebody's window, this app may be for you.

• Reply 147 of 259
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't think that anybody has claimed that the Apple's map coverage is perfect, far from it, and Apple has a bit of work to do as it's lacking in some areas, but some of the reactions are just LOL. image

They'll never be accused of copying Google on this one.

• Reply 148 of 259
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    I have a few honest questions for users of Google Maps on Android phones and Tablets:
    1. does it include ads?
    2. is it tracking you?
    3. can you opt out of ads or tracking?
    4. would you prefer a private mapping mode?
    5. is none of this a problem?

1 - Not that I see
    2 - Don't know
    3 - No adds, and don't know about the tracking
    4 - Create a google account and use it just for maps
    5 - No, not really
  • Reply 149 of 259
    I expect a class action lawsuit- this is [B]NOT[/B] why I bought my iPhone 4S.
  • Reply 150 of 259
    So where do we leave "feedback"? Is there something in the app to mark a problem spot?
  • Reply 151 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

I expect a class action lawsuit- this is NOT why I bought my iPhone 4S.

You funny.

• Reply 152 of 259

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

I expect a class action lawsuit- this is NOT why I bought my iPhone 4S.

I'd love to see that. Haven't had a good lawsuit-based laugh since Samsung Touch-whizzed it down their legs. I'm sure whoever was in charge of denying lawsuits would laugh the lawyer that brings it up right out of the room, too.

• Reply 153 of 259
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

I think most people's criticisms are overblown. If you use Street View or live outside the United States, then sure you might have some minor issues. Most people, however, aren't going to have issues. Apple is mostly using TomTom's information, and Tom Tom sells a lot of GPS devices and apps. For many people, the update is a welcomed change. For instance, turn by turn is nice and the visual appearance of the maps is better. Moreover, the app allows you to tell Apple when something is wrong. 

Finally, Apple has a history or taking away and then adding back better. When Apple went from OS 9 to OSX, many of the long standing features of OS 9 got stripped out. In addition, OS 10 had lots of issues. Several months later, Apple released a major update adding a lot of features back. The same thing with Final Cut Pro X. People complained loudly, and within months Apple released several major updates addressing most people's complaints. The only difference is that Apple is publicly coming out from the start saying as it gets information it will make changes. 

There is no way Apple is going to sit back on its flag ship product and not address these concerns very quickly. Apple, however, needs people actually to use the maps to make it better by using the built in system for telling Apple when something is wrong. I would be surprised if the changes don't start coming out this within a month. The maps are sitting in the cloud, so it should be easy for Apple to implement changes quickly. 

The product in some ways is better than Google's offerings now, but has the potential to being much greater in the future. People just have to 1) use the product, and 2) give feedback. Google has far more data then Apple does, but this will change. 

• Reply 154 of 259
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

I can't tell you how many times Google Maps gave me direction to places that don't exist. However, with time it improved. With time Apple Maps will improve as well. It already a big improvement from what we had in the betas.

• Reply 155 of 259
    rogifan wrote: »
    I don't see the problem with Passbook. It's better than having a separate app for each loyalty card / gift card etc

It would be more useful w/ NFC payments but that could happen with the 5S, who knows?
    OK maybe Passbook will turn out to be something great but maps and Siri suck. And those were two of the biggest features Forstall pimped at WWDC and iPhone keynote.

I actually can't believe Cook allowed iOS 6 out the sorry with such a horrible map app. And for everyone pointing us to th App Store, well then Apple should have left the native map app off of iOS 6 until it as in better shape and directed people to the App Store. Or better yet don't try to become a mapping company and leave it to pros like Google.

As others have posted, what if the choice was:
    1) IOS 6 maps app
    2) No maps app at all
  • Reply 156 of 259
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jabohn View Post

So where do we leave "feedback"? Is there something in the app to mark a problem spot?

When you drop a pin at the location and click the blue arrow you will see "Report a Problem" button.

• Reply 157 of 259
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    hill60 wrote: »
    After a 15 minute wait to tune in to the satellites.

Ah, the past looks good through rose tinted glasses.

Which was resolved in a firmware update.

Now who is wearing those glasses?
  • Reply 158 of 259
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

And I'm sure you don't remember all 2,695 of your comments. 

As for my comment, that still stands. The injunction against the Galaxy Nexus was overturned last I checked.

The injunction was set aside on a temporary basis while the Appeals Court reviews it. 

• Reply 159 of 259
    everybody read this article and look at the screen shots::

http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/apples-homegrown-maps-leaves-users-lost-20120921-26a9b.html

Scott Forstall can wi wipe that smug smirk off his face. if Jobs were alive he would have blasted him with a tirade of abuse and then sacked him.

fancy being responsible for this mess on the day of the new iphone launch and with samsung and google pushing their superior products.

Scott is a punk bonehead who should be held responsible for making a mockery of Jobs' hardwork.
  • Reply 160 of 259

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

As others have posted, what if the choice was:

1) IOS 6 maps app

2) No maps app at all

I'm surprised there's no outrage at Apple for not having servers with their own application of terabytes of home videos, illegal TV show and movie uploads, and music videos, called iTube. 

"These aren't MY home videos!" "Where's the video of a cat on a keyboard in space? Apple sucks!"

Or, even worse, if Apple DID have the videos they uploaded…