Apple 'working hard' to rectify Maps issues, appreciates 'customer feedback'

Comments

• Reply 161 of 259
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Not to mention, of course, that they're not replacing a 10 year old product. The iPhone is only 4 years old, so how are they replacing a 10 year old product? You can't compare Google Maps on a PC to the mobile version.

5 years old, not 4
  • Reply 162 of 259
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I don't think it tracks you as an individual or a device.  Apple has publicly stated that they do not furnish anything but aggregate user data to anyone 

Apple does supply two Apps that trace a device/person:

1) Find My Phone:  You have to know the device ID, own the iPhone or iPad and enable it to be traced (on the device itself).  The tracking must be refreshed every 10 minutes, or so,

2) Find Friends:  You email friends and they can opt in to be tracked by you for a given period of time -- you get their locations on a map and notifications when they move.  You never see their device ID and they can stop being tracked at any time.

ells you right upp front they can 

Apple has its own advertising, iAD.  One of the contention points between Apple and Advertisers is that Apple will not supply them with granular information (like Google does) so they can track you as an individual.

Apple has the same contention with selling content (apps, Books, Music, Movies, TV, etc.).  Apple furnishes aggregate info -- the providers want granular info.

If I buy something from Apple, no one but Apple knows that I was the buyer and what I bought.

I have been dealing with Apple for 34 years -- and I have always found them to be fair and ethical... difficult, but fair and ethical.

OTH, Google has been shown doing and saying things that tell me they have no concern for my privacy.

Would your iDevice UDID identify you individually for most intents?  Apple tells you right up front in their privacy policy they can share the UDID with whoever they wish for any purpose whatsoever since it's considered non-identifiable, and combined with things like your occupation, general area you live in and where you travel. They don't divulge your name, address and phone number, but otherwise it sure looks like "you" as a consumer/buyer can be identified according to what users have agreed to in Apple's Privacy Policy.

"We also collect non-personal information ? data in a form that does not permit direct association with any specific individual. We may collect, use, transfer, and disclose non-personal information for any purpose. The following are some examples of non-personal information that we collect and how we may use it:

• We may collect information such as occupation, language, zip code, area code, unique device identifier, location, and the time zone where an Apple product is used so that we can better understand customer behavior and improve our products, services, and advertising."

This doesn't in any way make Apple "evil", but it's also not much different from the same claims Google makes about sharing of non-personal information.

By the way, if anyone is interested in what Apple delivers for it's advertisers, it's described here.

http://advertising.apple.com/brands/

http://www.directtrafficmedia.co.uk/blog/apple-targets-core-demographics-through-mobile-adverts-67643611840

• Reply 163 of 259
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

For a lot of people I would imagine this really isn't an issue. For instance, since iOS didn't have turn by turn, I used Navigon. If Apple Maps really causes me a lot stress, I  can still use my Navigon app. Meanwhile, Maps will improve as people provide Apple more data. 

• Reply 164 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Apple has lost its soul. It had no leader. It has spokespeople now for everything? Typical corporation.

Been Apple customer and fan since 1980.

iOS 6 is a mess. Partially refined and mistakenly refined.

Maps is a joke. Not even beta but alpha.

App Store: why break what was fine? Harder to find apps.

And hiring the guy from Dixons is an antithesis to Apple retail.

This is the way big corporations become without a strong leader.

Apple is losing its footing

Hopefully we will have some good competition soon and that will be Microsoft.

If you're disappointed with Apple, I shudder to think what you'll experience with MS. They can't even get their barely-adequate platform off the ground. Their attempts in mobile are failing, Nokia is running out of time (rumour has it Nokia might go Android to save themselves), some major carriers have no plans to carry Windows Phone devices, and Win 8 is turning into a dud - whether it's Pro or RT or whatever they're calling it. 

Apple, even on their worst day, is still miles better than MS on their best. 

The only real problem with iOS 6 is Maps. That's about it. Other than that, it'll be at the fore of a blockbuster holiday quarter for Apple. 

• Reply 165 of 259
    jabohn wrote: »
    So where do we leave "feedback"? Is there something in the app to mark a problem spot?

Press hold to drop a pin

Press iI on the pin flag to open it

Tap "Report a problem"
  • Reply 166 of 259

To the blind Apple fanboys who are upset that people are complaining about iOS6's Map app, if staying silent would fix this problem, then we would! (but we know differently don't we?)

• Reply 167 of 259

I remember the initial backlash that came for Final Cut Pro.  Now everyone says it's the best.

I really like the Apple maps.

I don't need StreetView since I have FiyOver.

Time will tell. 

• Reply 168 of 259

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Only 10% usable? It would be interesting to find out where you got that number.

Not to mention, of course, that they're not replacing a 10 year old product. The iPhone is only 4 years old, so how are they replacing a 10 year old product? You can't compare Google Maps on a PC to the mobile version.

I don't see a cop out. You were using Google's maps before. You can download Google Maps soon and continue to use Google's maps. Apple is simply offering an alternative that is superior in some ways and not in others. If history is any guide, the capabilities will grow rapidly until it becomes the premier solution. How is that a dangerous attitude?

Then talk to Google who declined to renew the contract.

Well said. I can't understand the fixation on street view. If you can read a map, it's not really necessary.

Let me know when you are in Singapore. Some of us rely on this. Do you own your own transport? Well try to stay in Singapore and the cheapest car cost USD$80,000 (excluding other costs)

10 year old is for Google Maps age. Not the iPhone.

I am not even comparing Google Maps on a PC version when I have iPhone 3Gs and 4S.

Yes 10% usable is because I can only search for places which is accountable to 10% and some is not even accurate.

More importantly is public transit is NOT EXISTENT. 

I don't use Street View as Google Maps Street Views are 2-3 years old. So I don't rely on that at all.

• Reply 169 of 259
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    As others have posted, what if the choice was:
    1) IOS 6 maps app
    2) No maps app at all
    Aren't there map apps in the App Store better than iOS 6 native app is right now?
  • Reply 170 of 259
    rogifan wrote: »
    As others have posted, what if the choice was:
    1) IOS 6 maps app
    2) No maps app at all
    Aren't there map apps in the App Store better than iOS 6 native app is right now?

IDK... If so, are these better than the iOS 5 maps app?
  • Reply 171 of 259
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd105 View Post

An honest question for you, since I have never used an iPhone or iPad but am interested in apple's new products, does Apple's mapping service track you? And can you opt out of that?

Yes, it tracks your location and logs travel speeds, where you've stopped, for how long, what roads you've driven or walked, and other assorted location data useful for mapping and traffic flow. I don't know that anyone is claiming Apple stores/logs that for any purposes other than identifying traffic speeds and ties-ups when combined with other user's travel stats, and perhaps for aggregated advertising demographics. I seriously doubt they care where you personally are or what you're doing, No worries there at all as far as I'm concerned.

And to answer the second part of your question,  no you cannot opt-out of tracking with the new Apple maps. 

• Reply 172 of 259
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Yes 10% usable is because I can only search for places which is accountable to 10% and some is not even accurate.

I see. So for your number to be correct, then the ONLY thing an iPhone will do is maps - and it's wrong 90% of the time.

I'd love to see your evidence for either of those premises.
    More importantly is public transit is NOT EXISTENT. 

Then you use one of the free third party apps which are available to get you to the train station or bus.
  • Reply 173 of 259
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Which one, the one where you used inappropriate language or the one where you insulted another member of the forum? Because they were both deleted.
    Oh, okay, so you were just being irrational there.
    No something about Forstall has always bugged me. This is a PR disaster. Forstsll is responsible for the map team. He needs to take accountability for this screw up.
  • Reply 174 of 259

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

No something about Forstall has always bugged me. This is a PR disaster. Forstsll is responsible for the map team. He needs to take accountability for this screw up.

He's responsible for iOS. I'm sure there's someone between him and the Maps team.

• Reply 175 of 259

I haven't been reading the comments here for a couple of years, because the Android shill infestation became intolerable, but I thought I'd check back to see how they squeal about this issue. I guess things haven't changed much.

The only reason I'm adding a comment is to register my surprise that there are people depending on these kind of phone apps for mission-critical directions. Surely that's hyperbole? "Smart" phones and similar techno-toys are just that—toys. Google Maps is for entertainment value. Period. If iMaps is less entertaining, then they have a problem...otherwise not.

If you really need to find your way anywhere with reasonable accuracy, you're going to have to get a real map. I have a current three-county book of Thomas Brothers maps in my car, and hardly a week goes by that I don't find a mistake in them. Google Maps isn't remotely in the same universe.

If people are really depending on these entertainment apps to the extent they say they are, a lot of them are going to be grievously disappointed...and a few of them are going to get killed—seriously, it's already happened. Techno-hipsterism has become a life-threatening ailment!

I have no opinion on the new Apple maps service vs. Google since I haven't used it yet, but please give it a decade or five before you start really depending on these services with your life—and I wouldn't, even then.

• Reply 176 of 259

Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

If you really need to find your way anywhere with reasonable accuracy, you're going to have to get a real map.

It's 2012, not 1912. I disagree. Though you make many valid points otherwise.

• Reply 177 of 259
    If you really need to find your way anywhere with reasonable accuracy, you're going to have to get a real map.

I tend to agree! Can you even buy paper maps today... That are less than 10 years out of date? Where? At your corner gas station/mini mart?

Digital maps are what we have... There are no alternatives!
  • Reply 178 of 259
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

My office in down the street about a 100 meters from the former world headquarters of Thomas Maps and the property is still vacant. Very nice building though I wish I could afford to buy it.They were essentially killed with the web mapping revolution. I know the founders. They relied heavily on Freehand as their design application and when Adobe Illustrator became the default vector drawing application they became very isolated from a technical perspective. Before the Internet revolution, every ambulance, fire truck and police car in California was required to carry Thomas maps onboard. Not any more since they all have online map access. Thomas is toast. interestingly another company that I am familiar with is augmenting fire house response teams with local data such as streams, creeks, swimming pools, etc. where they can get water as well as numbers of house hold pets, and number of residents so in firefighting efforts they have localized information.

• Reply 179 of 259

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I tend to agree! Can you even buy paper maps today... That are less than 10 years out of date? Where? At your corner gas station/mini mart?

Digital maps are what we have... There are no alternatives!

If there's one thing paper I wish we didn't have today, it's phone books. Though there again, digital equivalents ARE still somewhat lacking.

• Reply 180 of 259
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Wow, I just realized that Tallest Skil is a moderator over at 9to5Mac as well:

[QUOTE]No. I'm done being polite to trolls. They deserve absolutely nothing from us. They're not too stupid to look up the right information, they're explicitly ignoring what is correct to serve their purposes. [/QUOTE]
    http://************/2012/09/20/as-apples-new-maps-get-ridiculed-its-partners-feel-the-burn-lash-out/

Well, I guess it's safe to say that we here at AI aren't the only ones to receive your venom :-)