iPhone 5 lines 83% longer than 4S, 8 million sales expected this weekend

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A survey of lines at Apple stores in New York, Boston and Minneapolis found that crowds for the iPhone 5 are 83 percent larger than they were for the iPhone 4S, which has led one analyst to predict sales of 8 million iPhones this launch weekend.

Gene Munster and his team at Piper Jaffray surveyed lines at Apple stores in the three major U.S. cities. Based on the large crowds, he thinks Apple is capable of selling 8 million of the iPhone 5 this weekend, which is the mid-point of his expectation of between 6 million and 10 million sales.

Apple traditionally announces sales figures for the first three days of an iPhone launch the following Monday. If that pattern stays true, Apple is likely to tout record breaking opening weekend sales of the iPhone 5 with a press release on Sept. 24.

Fanfare surrounding the iPhone 5 launch along with positive reviews of the device from technology press has given Munster confidence that Apple can sell 49 million iPhones in the December quarter. The only caveat, he said, is whether Apple can make the phones fast enough to meet demand.

Fifth

Piper Jaffray's team counted 775 customers in line for the iPhone 5 on Friday at Apple's flagship Fifth Avenue store, a 70 percent increase from last year for the iPhone 4S debut. AppleInsider was also on location when the device went on sale at 8 a.m.

Preorders for the iPhone 5 topped 2 million the first 24 hours of availability a week ago, getting the device off to a record breaking start and doubling last year's preorders. Munster believes that demand for online preorders grew at a faster rate than the line outside Apple's Fifth Avenue location because more customers are turning to online preorders.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42

Looks like Maps aint such a big deal. I'm a bit softer on the issue the day after, too.    ;)

Yeah. The iPhone is *that* good. 

• Reply 2 of 42
    In the Toronto suburb the lines are as big as last year. People hooting for customers leaving with their new 5's, what a riot! The only thing I just couldn't see were those Sammy boys and girls with their S III's, ridiculing all these iSheep in the lineup ... ;-) /s
  • Reply 3 of 42
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

LOL at the very precise stats.

• Reply 4 of 42

Just walked through the Eaton Centre in Toronto 30 min ago, looks like the line was only about 100 long. When I went by for the iPad about the same time, the line was a few times longer. Hoping it's just because of pre-orders, or they're turning people through faster. Let's see 10M phones sold this weekend!

• Reply 5 of 42
    I just played with one at a VZW store and I gotta say it's an amazing device. Kudos to Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Just as I said several weeks ago, the iPhone5 is going to be a doorbuster. Kudos to Apple.

• Reply 7 of 42

I went to the Dallas North Park Apple store this morning to check it out at about 7:45 AM and the line was about 150 people long just eyeballing it.

• Reply 8 of 42
    A friend went to his little local strip mall AT
  • Reply 9 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyzlmt View Post

Really AppleInsider??  You dont handle the Ampersand properly in AT "and" T so it cut off my comment?!?!?!

• Reply 10 of 42

Really AppleInsider??  You dont handle the Ampersand properly in AT "and" T so it cut off my comment?!?!?!

Edit it HERE. Don't post from the front page ever, is my take on it.

• Reply 11 of 42
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Quote:

I thought you just wanted to share that your friend went to his little local strip mall. T'was kinda cute ;-)

But yeah, this new forum software sucks the big time.

• Reply 12 of 42
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Minneapolis? Great. Just heading to the Mall of America now. Hopefully it's not a zoo.
  • Reply 13 of 42

Any ideas on the average turnaround time per customer ? e.g. how long does the 100th person in line have to wait?

• Reply 14 of 42

Quote:

he thinks Apple is capable of selling 8 million of the iPhone 5 this weekend, which is the mid-point of his expectation of between 6 million and 8 million sales.

8 is midway between 6 and 8?

Appleinsider understand basic comparative math?

Given the press I think the 2nd 8 is a '10'

• Reply 15 of 42
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Well we'll for sure get "scuff gate" now as MacRumors decided to put it on the front page I'd their site. Obviously going for page hits.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    8M !!!!!!

AAPL
  • Reply 17 of 42

The lines are ... 83% longer. Even lineup lengths are a metric with two significant digits. Sigh ...

• Reply 18 of 42

I just walked into an AT&T store at 10am, no line no wait, and walked out with a brand new phone!!!!

This thing is beautiful and "lightning" fast!!!!

Even after I had a pre-order with Apple with an Oct 5th delivery date. I cancelled that when I knew they had the phone, called AT&T and they restored my upgrade eligibility right there!!! Happy iPhone 5 day!

• Reply 19 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by iPhilly View Post

I just walked into an AT&T store at 10am, no line no wait, and walked out with a brand new phone!!!!

This thing is beautiful and "lightning" fast!!!!

Even after I had a pre-order with Apple with an Oct 5th delivery date. I cancelled that when I knew they had the phone, called AT&T and they restored my upgrade eligibility right there!!! Happy iPhone 5 day!

What was your secret?  I tried that this AM as well and no luck.  ATT rep said we need to call Apple, he can't do it on his end.   Apple customer care had high call volumes, so no luck there.  And couldn't do it online, cause AppleCare+ was already charged to my CC. 

• Reply 20 of 42
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

They just upgraded my preorder from Oct 5 to Sept 27