Apple allegedly luring ex-Google Maps engineers to work on iOS 6 Maps app

124

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 89

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post


    with so much users, so much talent and resources, apple will have by far the best maps app in 2 years tops. google has no chance. next step? search. i want a decent and innovative search engine.



     


    My thoughts exactly.


    Apple already made search on the desktop (and iOS) workable (without the ultra slow windows indexing and horrible interface) and promotes Wolfram Alpha.


    Maybe internet search is the next big thing.


     


    J.

  • Reply 62 of 89

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post





    But as an end user I could care less about Apple's feud with Google. I just wan the best map app possible and going from Google maps to Apple's replacement is a downgrade.


     


    You could see it like this: Google missed out bigtime by not releasing a standalone maps app on time.


     


    J.

  • Reply 63 of 89

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post


     


    You could see it like this: Google missed out bigtime by not releasing a standalone maps app on time.


     


    J.



     




    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post


     


    My thoughts exactly.


    Apple already made search on the desktop (and iOS) workable (without the ultra slow windows indexing and horrible interface) and promotes Wolfram Alpha.


    Maybe internet search is the next big thing.


     


    J.


     




     


    finally someone who gets it..


     


    what apple did to maps is already amazing, and they sure know how to do search.

  • Reply 64 of 89
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    jnjnjn wrote: »
    You could see it like this: Google missed out bigtime by not releasing a standalone maps app on time.

    J.
    Perhaps they didn't do it because they want people to come over to the dark side? Though I'm sure there will be one out there soon enough....assuming Apple allows it in the App Store.
  • Reply 65 of 89
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    I have seen many posts complaining about the problem being entirely with Apple and that they need a way to report errors. Is it just me, or is anyone else able to see the links in the App that say Data from TomTom and others and Report Problems which take you to a partial list of sources for data and some options for reporting various types of errors, Incorrect Search Results, Problem with directions, etc.
  • Reply 66 of 89

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post


     


    You could see it like this: Google missed out bigtime by not releasing a standalone maps app on time.


     


    J.



    Not really. NOT releasing one at launch was intentional. Google doesn't ultimately care about your iPhone experience. Google was getting $$$ from Apple, now they will give it away and not get paid, why should they rush? They are enjoying the bad press Apple is getting over Maps, they aren't missing out on anything. Wait for a month or two when they do release it and act the savior of your maps. Ha.

  • Reply 67 of 89
    I hope this isn't the same "connection" who said Google has submitted a maps application to Apple for iOS 6.
  • Reply 68 of 89

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post


    Not really. NOT releasing one at launch was intentional. Google doesn't ultimately care about your iPhone experience. Google was getting $$$ from Apple, now they will give it away and not get paid, why should they rush? They are enjoying the bad press Apple is getting over Maps, they aren't missing out on anything. Wait for a month or two when they do release it and act the savior of your maps. Ha.



     


    The new Google maps app will be ad driven, so Google will leave a lot of money on the table if they do not release it for iOS


     


    J.

  • Reply 69 of 89
    berpberp Posts: 136member
    mstone wrote: »
    People keep saying crowd sourced information will propel Apple to the forefront of local search but I don't understand how that happens since they don't control thier own data. They get their data from other providers so how does an apple user requesting dry cleaning service make its way up stream to improve Apple search results?

    jeffdm wrote: »
    I'm lost on that myself. We don't have access to Apple's data set, so how are we going to improve it? We can complain about an error, but someone with access would need to actually verify the report and enter it. That said, my area seems fine save for a missing new campus for a local university. Hypothetically, adding a new road might work if enough people drive the road where the app doesn't show one, but there are limits to the idea of crowd sourcing.

    Let me move sideway first...

    Siri doesn't evolve in a vacuum. It steers data sets from third parties to end users, ...with the learning process taking root in actual usage patterns on a micro scale, ...a one on one relationship end user/Siri, thereby tipping ever so slightly the macro scaling of queries on a system-deep, and system-wide basis. In other words, Siri acquires the singularity of a single user and blends it into a singularity of the whole, ...and then feeds it right back to its point of origin as socio-economics and what-not coordinates. An intra-system loop of dynamical knowledge.

    What has it got to do with Maps?

    Siri and Maps are parts and parcels of the same knowledge flow chart within the iOS/OSX extended platform.The Siri microcosm helps to understand the evolution of the whole Apple universe, as well as its more obscure elements, ...such as Maps. Data sets are one thing; what gregarious people do with them engages a system wide, to-and-fro learning process on a natural, on a Darwinian...albeit accelerated by knowledge awareness, ...on a path to augmented cognitive reality.

    I gotta say, it warrants...if you ask me...lightening up the load on sentience within the platform core on a lasting riddance of a Google dependency.
  • Reply 70 of 89
    My opinion has changed somewhat of maps and very excited about the new engineers coming aboard to help Apple with a product which I feel will be the Bee's Knees.
    After using maps this weekend on a 150.. mile trip - I learned about many wonderful features and one in particular; maps is never sleeping even when the locked screen is dark - maps will always light up and prompt when an exit is near. Annoying feature is Lag, which can be fixed - If lag is typical, then reverse it!
    3)there are many wonderful features to experience built within maps and all we can do is just wait and see - and adjust for lag, forks in the road, incorrect street names, and not to worry about all the streets showing up from 1920 maps. Maps will get you there.
  • Reply 71 of 89
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    Please someone explain how Apple is going to overtake Google in mapping when the entire mapping trend is toward localized search and we all know who the king of localized search is. Apple does not stand a chance in this niche market because they don't own their data to begin with and they are dependent on others to deliver questionable data to them where as Google is constantly adding, in a massive scale, to their already huge database which they own and manipulate as needed.



     


     


    It is possible. The whole point of Apple ditching Google is so that it can own its own data. Apple is accumulating data all the while denying Google the same data. I have seen it reported that Google makes half its money from iOS devices. Apple is now denying Google that data.


     


    Instead, Apple is gathering data from Siri searches, location services, iCloud, Safari, and now Maps. It also has tons of data in regards to where people live, their credit card numbers, and what media they downloaded. 


     


    Moreover, Google is famous for stealing its data and making enemies along the way. That is why Skyhook is currently suing Google. Companies like Yelp also complain of Google taking their data without permission.


     


    Apple, however,  is partnering with companies like Yelp, Facebook, and Twitter, which will also bring it data. 

  • Reply 72 of 89
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Zomp View Post



    My opinion has changed somewhat of maps and very excited about the new engineers coming aboard to help Apple with a product which I feel will be the Bee's Knees.

    After using maps this weekend on a 150.. mile trip - I learned about many wonderful features and one in particular; maps is never sleeping even when the locked screen is dark - maps will always light up and prompt when an exit is near. Annoying feature is Lag, which can be fixed - If lag is typical, then reverse it!

    3)there are many wonderful features to experience built within maps and all we can do is just wait and see - and adjust for lag, forks in the road, incorrect street names, and not to worry about all the streets showing up from 1920 maps. Maps will get you there.


     


     


    Lag is related to Internet speed. The phone itself can render the data quicker than any GPS unit I have seen. 

  • Reply 73 of 89

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post


     


    The new Google maps app will be ad driven, so Google will leave a lot of money on the table if they do not release it for iOS


     


    J.



    Maybe. You have a source? Or just pure useless conjecture.

  • Reply 74 of 89
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post


    Not really. NOT releasing one at launch was intentional. Google doesn't ultimately care about your iPhone experience. Google was getting $$$ from Apple, now they will give it away and not get paid, why should they rush? They are enjoying the bad press Apple is getting over Maps, they aren't missing out on anything. Wait for a month or two when they do release it and act the savior of your maps. Ha.



     


     


    It also assumes Apple will approve it. 

  • Reply 75 of 89
    I'm concerned about last year's botched SIRI launch and now this botched Maps launch. I hope this won't cause Tom Cook to get a reputation for not micro managing, as Steve Jobs was known to do. Well, Cook is not Jobs, and micro management isn't his style, but he does listen to his customers and he makes sure they ultimately get what they want. You can be sure he's already yelled at this people responsible for the Maps app, "Get this thing fixed... Like yesterday. I'm authorizing you to do whatever it takes!"
  • Reply 76 of 89


    Originally Posted by PeterAlt View Post

    I'm concerned about last year's botched SIRI launch and now this botched Maps launch.


     


    I'm concerned that you think either was "botched".

  • Reply 77 of 89


    Have Apple blocked your ability to go to the Google website, click maps and use them?


    No.


     


    Have Apple given you an option to use Google Maps OR Apple Maps?


    Yes.


     


    Did you pay for iOS6?


    No.


     


    I fail to understand what people are moaning about. Are you scared of change, choice or competition?

  • Reply 78 of 89
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    berp wrote: »
    Let me move sideway first...
    Siri doesn't evolve in a vacuum. It steers data sets from third parties to end users, ...with the learning process taking root in actual usage patterns on a micro scale, ...a one on one relationship end user/Siri, thereby tipping ever so slightly the macro scaling of queries on a system-deep, and system-wide basis. In other words, Siri acquires the singularity of a single user and blends it into a singularity of the whole, ...and then feeds it right back to its point of origin as socio-economics and what-not coordinates. An intra-system loop of dynamical knowledge.
    What has it got to do with Maps?
    Siri and Maps are parts and parcels of the same knowledge flow chart within the iOS/OSX extended platform.The Siri microcosm helps to understand the evolution of the whole Apple universe, as well as its more obscure elements, ...such as Maps. Data sets are one thing; what gregarious people do with them engages a system wide, to-and-fro learning process on a natural, on a Darwinian...albeit accelerated by knowledge awareness, ...on a path to augmented cognitive reality.
    I gotta say, it warrants...if you ask me...lightening up the load on sentience within the platform core on a lasting riddance of a Google dependency.

    How do you suggest added landmarks? Do you just say "there is a gas station here" when the map didn't show one? And hope someone else confirms it?
  • Reply 79 of 89


    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post


    Are you scared of change, choice or competition?



     


    That's such an interesting statement. The Anti-Apple Brigade is out in full force, claiming the removal of Google Maps is anticompetitive. 

  • Reply 80 of 89


    Is "view-from-the-drivers-seat" an option in Apple's turn-by-turn navigation (as it is in Tom-Tom)? That is absolutely crucial for me. If they can do that AND fix the train stations in the ocean stuff (lol) I'd be interested. A Street-view type function would also be welcome.


     


    Needless to say Maps will be a huge undertaking even for Apple. Still, early days for them in this department and given time I'm sure they'll do it right. 

Sign In or Register to comment.