Google Maps app from iOS 5.1 reportedly ported onto iOS 6

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A hacker claims to have successfully ported the now defunct Google Maps iOS app to Apple's iOS 6, however the workaround is unstable and requires a jailbroken iPhone.

In a tweet on Saturday, Ryan Petrich said that he was able to get the iOS 5.1 version of Google Maps up and running on the recently released iOS 6, which eschewed the search giant's service for a proprietary Apple solution.

Google Maps on iOS 6
Source: @rpetrich via Twitter


Petrich showed off the solution In a corresponding video, however did not divulge the details as to how he was able to port the app over to the new operating system.





From the YouTube description:
Preview of the old Google Maps application from iOS5.1 and earlier running on an iPhone 3G S updated to iOS 6.0

Still crashy and cannot be distributed to the public yet, but it mostly works :)
In a round of follow-up tweets, the hacker confirmed a jailbreak is required to make the legacy Google Maps app functional in iOS 6, and while he would like to release a public version, Petrich is not expected to do so anytime soon.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 33
    What complainers. Use maps.google.com. What is wrong with that? The Apple maps are great. Now all of you idiots just STFU and go home. Sit down to your PC and Galaxy SIII, pretend to have a Mac and iPhone and be disappointed in the new shit.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by logandigges View Post



    What complainers. Use maps.google.com. What is wrong with that? The Apple maps are great. Now all of you idiots just STFU and go home. Sit down to your PC and Galaxy SIII, pretend to have a Mac and iPhone and be disappointed in the new shit.


    I agree with the first part. maps.google.com works very well in the interim especially for transit directions, however, some people are still upset about Street View being unavailable, although, I am not among that group. I never really used Street View on my iPhone anyway.

  • Reply 3 of 33
    I'm almost completely over the removal of Google Maps from iOS, to be honest.

    I used iOS Maps quite a bit today and it performed well. It did the job.

    There's so much to like in iOS, that I almost don't miss Google Maps at all.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,309member


    With all the indignant self-righteous "outrage", I've used Apple maps maybe 100 times so far to find shit, and not once has it let le down. But hey, clearly the product is an "unmitigated disaster" and "complete garbage" because it does not have 100% of the data that Google has, who has been building up their maps for the past 10+ years and crowd-sourcing the data from hundreds of millions of people. People mindlessly attacking Apple's new maps are missing the forest for the trees. Apple will be a maps juggernaut, at the level of Google, within the next year to 18 months. I predict they will release their own maps app for OSX even, and have everything between them synced to the cloud. All Apple would have done if they delayed the launch is further strengthened Google's position with tens of millions of new users, while weakening their own future prospects. 

  • Reply 5 of 33
    I have been using a free app called streetviewer to utilize google streetview. That, coupled with a maps.google.com shortcut on my home screen, has got me wondering what the hell the big deal is about. Apple maps has worked flawlessly for me thus far. I travel a good bit, so I never rely on one map source regardless.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    What complainers. Use maps.google.com. What is wrong with that? The Apple maps are great. Now all of you idiots just STFU and go home. Sit down to your PC and Galaxy SIII, pretend to have a Mac and iPhone and be disappointed in the new shit.

    Plenty. It does not integrate with any of the other native apps (Calendar. Address Book, Reminders), you can not save pins on your phone, you can not add locations directly to contacts, you have to enable Location Services for Safari, your current position updates are extremely delayed since they are done remotely rather than locally and don't take advantage of the accelerometer, magnetometer, and gyroscope on top of being a lot more susceptible to network signal issues than the native app. Google Maps on the web is only useful for those who don't need it.

    slurpy wrote: »
    With all the indignant self-righteous "outrage", I've used Apple maps maybe 100 times so far to find shit, and not once has it let le down. But hey, clearly the product is an "unmitigated disaster" and "complete garbage" because it does not have 100% of the data that Google has, who has been building up their maps for the past 10+ years and crowd-sourcing the data from hundreds of millions of people. People mindlessly attacking Apple's new maps are missing the forest for the trees. Apple will be a maps juggernaut, at the level of Google, within the next year to 18 months. I predict they will release their own maps app for OSX even, and have everything between them synced to the cloud. All Apple would have done if they delayed the launch is further strengthened Google's position with tens of millions of new users, while weakening their own future prospects.

    Just because it works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone, or even for anyone else, so your generalization from your personal experience is completely wrong. As to why Apple's service sucks doesn't really matter, as a customer I am not supposed to care; they ditched a service that worked well for one that is clearly subpar, that's all that matters to me. Fortunately I didn't miss the downgrade window, so I still have proper maps.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Never mind.
  • Reply 8 of 33

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post


    With all the indignant self-righteous "outrage", I've used Apple maps maybe 100 times so far to find shit, and not once has it let le down. But hey, clearly the product is an "unmitigated disaster" and "complete garbage" because it does not have 100% of the data that Google has, who has been building up their maps for the past 10+ years and crowd-sourcing the data from hundreds of millions of people. People mindlessly attacking Apple's new maps are missing the forest for the trees. Apple will be a maps juggernaut, at the level of Google, within the next year to 18 months. I predict they will release their own maps app for OSX even, and have everything between them synced to the cloud. All Apple would have done if they delayed the launch is further strengthened Google's position with tens of millions of new users, while weakening their own future prospects. 



     


     


    How useful.  Apple will be...




    What about now?




    What about the quality of hte product now.  "Just you wait, it will be grand" 


     


    Thats the same garbage people said about WP7


     


    Apple maps is ok, unless you are actually looking for something.  But hey, dont worry about the baked in apps, why not go to the webpage maps.google.com  that will make everything better.  Nothing says "Easy to use and full of features you use everyday" like using a webpage to replace the half-baked in-built apps


     


    I have used it each time I went out over the weekend.  Each time, it could not find the business that I was looking for, it even struggled to find the addresses for some things.  Once I got it pointed in the right direction, the turn by turn ran nicely..  even if it did pick weird routes, it rapidly recalculated once I went my own way.  The weird parts of hte new app is that some of the little things taht apple included in the last maps app (the front end, not googles input) have dissapeared - You used to  beable to click to the contacts list and grab an address from a contactee, but that seems to have gone.

  • Reply 9 of 33
    Vaelian I agree with you 100% on your reply.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    fazzter wrote: »
    Vaelian I agree with you 100% on your reply.

    Orly?
  • Reply 11 of 33

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post


    With all the indignant self-righteous "outrage", I've used Apple maps maybe 100 times so far to find shit, and not once has it let le down. But hey, clearly the product is an "unmitigated disaster" and "complete garbage" because it does not have 100% of the data that Google has, who has been building up their maps for the past 10+ years and crowd-sourcing the data from hundreds of millions of people. People mindlessly attacking Apple's new maps are missing the forest for the trees. Apple will be a maps juggernaut, at the level of Google, within the next year to 18 months. I predict they will release their own maps app for OSX even, and have everything between them synced to the cloud. All Apple would have done if they delayed the launch is further strengthened Google's position with tens of millions of new users, while weakening their own future prospects. 



    It's 100 times faster because it has 1000 times less stuff in it's database.  If it will be a juggernaut in a year to 18 months then why not wait till it's finished to release it instead of releasing it half-baked.


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by logandigges View Post



    What complainers. Use maps.google.com. What is wrong with that? The Apple maps are great. Now all of you idiots just STFU and go home. Sit down to your PC and Galaxy SIII, pretend to have a Mac and iPhone and be disappointed in the new shit.


    Wow, what a me-centric point of view.  I don't mind using google.com but the fact of the matter is this product wasn't ready and shouldn't have been made the default.  It is unusable.  I live in Hong Kong, one of the places that gets the iphone 5 in the initial launch and Apple Maps is pathetic here.  Instead of releasing its own maps, maybe they could have spent more time on Siri and getting that up and running in more locations around the world.

  • Reply 12 of 33

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post


     


    Apple maps is ok, unless you are actually looking for something.  But hey, dont worry about the baked in apps, why not go to the webpage maps.google.com  that will make everything better.  Nothing says "Easy to use and full of features you use everyday" like using a webpage to replace the half-baked in-built apps


     



    The world is an amazingly vast place. For every flaw, every missing business others seem to find, they somehow manage to miss the 100s of millions of other businesses, locations, towns and lakes that one can find. Those reminiscing about Google maps conveniently forget that Google maps remain far from perfect today.

  • Reply 13 of 33


    If Apple didn't absolutely control what we can put on our iPhone's (which I don't normally mind), this guy getting the Google data based Map App up and running on iOS 6 would only be a week or two (of figuring out what else he needs to get it to run correctly) from being an instant multi-millionaire (assuming he sold the fix for $0.99 in the App Store)....ah well.


     


    Nice to see it running on 6 - obviously Apple could put it back on (at least for the rest of the year if the license expires with 2012) if it wanted to.  Begs the question of what folks think will happen, will Apple just tell everyone to tough it out (its initial reaction), particularly with regards to the international customers where its really rough) or will they do something else?

  • Reply 14 of 33

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post


    . People mindlessly attacking Apple's new maps are missing the forest for the trees. Apple will be a maps juggernaut, at the level of Google, within the next year to 18 months.



     


    Funny, isn't that same arguments spewed mindlessly about Windows phone and Android tablets? imageimage Anything can happen tomorrow, what are you doing NOW. You're also assuming the 7000 member Google Map team is standing still at the same time. What about when Google Maps returns to iOS? Apple will have less people to crowd source from. First impressions are important and frankly Apple botched that one. 


     


    I don't see people as mindlessly attacking Apple's er, Tom Tom's maps. Sure the anti-Apple crowd is having fun with it as fodder, but there's mountains of legitimate complaints and ample proof to support them. Apple did a wonderful job with the interface, integration and turn by turn. However they fell short on the actual data. This weekend alone I'm about 60% on finding the usual places. If that's unscientifically me, I'm sure others are in a similar spot.

  • Reply 15 of 33
    harbinger wrote: »
    The world is an amazingly vast place. For every flaw, every missing business others seem to find, they somehow manage to miss the 100s of millions of other businesses, locations, towns and lakes that one can find. Those reminiscing about Google maps conveniently forget that Google maps remain far from perfect today.

    Just because Google isn't perfect doesn't mean it isn't better than Apple's maps. Google has THE mapping service to beat.
  • Reply 16 of 33

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by quikbmwkid View Post



    I have been using a free app called streetviewer to utilize google streetview. That, coupled with a maps.google.com shortcut on my home screen, has got me wondering what the hell the big deal is about. Apple maps has worked flawlessly for me thus far. I travel a good bit, so I never rely on one map source regardless.


    Thanks for the tip on the Streetviewer app.  That will substitute the loss of Street View in the Apple Map app.  I will wait for the 1.8 update which will allow you to switch to google maps.  I also do a lot of field work for my job and the Street View was a vital feature.  GPS can get you to a location, but having the Street View to view a building or house or the location for public parking is vital.  For those that are being rude and telling people to shut the hell up, they obviously don't use the map app, so they are just trolling.  I downgraded back to 5.1.1 because Apple Map is inferior to Google Map.  No one should have to wait two years for Apple to get it right.  The satellite view is mostly low resolution, where Google was high resolution in the same areas.  The flyover feature is pointless, unless you fly a helicopter wherever you go.  Who does that?  No one.  The funniest comment was "Google took 10 years to get it right, so Apple will get it right in 18 months."  So, 18 months to do 10 years of work?  Laughable.  How about using 10 years of researched data and getting it right the first time?  Apple usually released a product that beat the competition.  This time, they released a map that is severely lacking in features compared to what it replaced.  But that was the result of the corporate fight between Apple and Google.  Even Walt Mossberg said the new Apple Maps falls short, even after they spent years developing it.  But I guess some people in this forum still won't understand that.

  • Reply 17 of 33


    I hope those guys bring their Google car with them! image

  • Reply 18 of 33
    I personally worked on the maps project for 2 years with google, it's come a long way since then..apple maps will improve give it time..
  • Reply 19 of 33

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post


    ... Apple usually released a product that beat the competition.  This time, they released a map that is severely lacking in features compared to what it replaced.  But that was the result of the corporate fight between Apple and Google.  Even Walt Mossberg said the new Apple Maps falls short, even after they spent years developing it.  But I guess some people in this forum still won't understand that.



     


    Why don't you blame Google for not having its maps on the iPhone? Google could have anticipated this and released a standalone maps app for the iPhone (iOS6).


    In this way Google leaves its customers in the cold and forgets to seize the opportunity to beat Apple with a 'better' app.


     


    J.

  • Reply 20 of 33
    harbinger wrote: »
    The world is an amazingly vast place. For every flaw, every missing business others seem to find, they somehow manage to miss the 100s of millions of other businesses, locations, towns and lakes that one can find. Those reminiscing about Google maps conveniently forget that Google maps remain far from perfect today.

    Apple's Maps can't even find my street despite the fact that it's charted right there on the map. I'm sorry but there is no way a mapping service can suck any more than that, search is basic functionality, and if it doesn't work right it makes the entire service unreliable.

    jnjnjn wrote: »
    Why don't you blame Google for not having its maps on the iPhone? Google could have anticipated this and released an standalone maps app for the iPhone (iOS6).
    In this way Google leaves its customers in the cold and forgets to seize the opportunity to beat Apple with a 'better' app.

    J.

    Several reasons, really. I'm an Apple customer, not a Google customer, so Google is not required to serve me (just like Apple is not required to serve FaceTime or iMessage on other platforms and chooses not do tho so); I couldn't care less about who provides the Maps app with data, so long as the quality of service is maintained (it wasn't, in this case); and Google didn't stop offering the service (as evidenced by the fact that I can still make use of it on iOS 5.1.1).
Sign In or Register to comment.