Riot reported at Apple partner manufacturer Foxconn's iPhone 5 plant [ux2]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Honestly I think that Apple if at all possible needs to start making their products here.  Even if its just assembling them here.  I would be willing to pay a bit extra.  It can't be that much more to make on a massive scale.

• Reply 22 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

Maybe this is why some of the iPhone 5s are nicked and scratched. Maybe they were used as weaponsimage

Unlikely, 'cause it's too light.

• Reply 23 of 78
    This story has nothing to do with Apple.

From Reuters:
    He said the company will issue a statement later on Monday. The Taiyuan plant makes parts for automotive electronics as well as a variety of other electronic parts.

And for any moron out there trying to bash Apple for this, the Reuters story also reports that some sort of fight took place in the worker's dormitory. So big deal! The fight could be over some Chinese guy snoring too loudly, or maybe somebody cheated on their wife and they found out. Seriously, who gives a shit. Just fire the workers who started it, and problem solved.

There are plenty of people trying to get jobs at Foxconn plants, violent fools need not apply.
  • Reply 24 of 78

Products made at Foxconn.

Acer Inc. (Taiwan)[31]

Amazon.com (United States)[32] [Kindle]

Apple Inc. (United States)[33]

Cisco (United States)[34]

Dell (United States)[35]

Gateway (United States)[36]

Hewlett-Packard (United States)[37]

Intel (United States)[38]

Microsoft (United States)[39] [Windows phone, X Box]

Motorola Mobility (United States)[35]

Nintendo (Japan)[40]

Nokia (Finland)[33]

Samsung (South Korea)[41]

Sony (Japan)[42]

Toshiba (Japan) [43]

Vizio (United States)[44]

• Reply 25 of 78
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Honestly I think that Apple if at all possible needs to start making their products here.  Even if its just assembling them here.  I would be willing to pay a bit extra.  It can't be that much more to make on a massive scale.

Why should they and why would you be willing to pay more? To satisfy some misguided sense of social conscience? Walk into any store in the United Sates and try to find something NOT made in China. Even American flags and NFL jerseys are made in China these days. So why should Apple commit economic suicide? Because Dell, Microsoft, Samsung, HP, et al  certainly won't follow suit. They will laugh their asses off as Apple disintegrates. But you'll FEEL better, huh?

• Reply 26 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Why should they and why would you be willing to pay more? To satisfy some misguided sense of social conscience? Walk into any store in the United Sates and try to find something NOT made in China. Even American flags and NFL jerseys are made in China these days. So why should Apple commit economic suicide? Because Dell, Microsoft, Samsung, HP, et al  certainly won't follow suit. They will laugh their asses off as Apple disintegrates. But you'll FEEL better, huh?

We should be willing to pay more to support OUR prosperity NOT CHINA

• Reply 27 of 78

Quote:

Wow you make a good point.  We need to pay another country for our goods.  Screw making anything here any more.  The minimum wage jobs created are a waste of time.  People really dont need to get a job HERE do they?  We have enough of those at Mc Donald's  Your point was well made.  Your one of those people who like cheap labor in china.  Screw the future and screw the economy.  Tax paying jobs are a waste of time here.  And now the insert of sarcasm and creative ego type will be posted to make one think this Ikrupp is all that and more.  He must think highly of his god like status.

• Reply 28 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac-user View Post

Unlikely, 'cause it's too light.

Quote:

Only a moron would think that a Chinese person would purposely risk personal retribution by a communist government by having the serial number traced back to the very person who handled the device.  Thats right screw job security.  But hey if it makes you feel better then go ahead bendeho.

• Reply 29 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

We should be willing to pay more to support OUR prosperity NOT CHINA

Except that Apple didn't drop the prices of their merchandise because they started making them in China. It's a fallacy that prices rise because they move back to our country. It's more complex than that. They attempt to raise the price, but it won't necessarily stick when there is competition on Android for less money. They simply make the product there because 1.) they can 2.) its more profitable 3.) existing manufacturing facilities ensure quick time to market 4.) too much investment to build own plants in the US to do the same thing 5.) they can take competing bids on contracts to keep costs down by using 3rd parties to do the work. In the end, they can make much higher margins on the product than they would making them in the US and that looks good to the board, the stockholders, and for their bonuses.

• Reply 30 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

This is due to exploitation and Apple is contributing to it. What, only a couple of bucks or so go labor on iPhone?

Apple is turning out to be the most greediest company in history.

Apple customer since 1990...

Really???  Come on that is, at best, a reach.  A far reach.  Direct your anger to the Chinese government if you are worried about working conditions.  Apple is the customer here, they are purchasing parts and labor from Foxconn in China.  They are not the Chinese government and are not referees responsible for breaking up fights on assembly lines.

• Reply 31 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Only a moron would think that a Chinese person would purposely risk personal retribution by a communist government by having the serial number traced back to the very person who handled the device.  Thats right screw job security.  But hey if it makes you feel better then go ahead bendeho.

excuse me? did you quote my words by mistake?

anyway, are you talking about the leaked parts?

(and the word bendeho doesn't exist, perhaps in phonetics)

• Reply 32 of 78
    When people build excessive wealth on the backs of the poor, these things will continue to happen, and throughout human history it's been a very profitable business model to have the poor make your products but history also shows that at some point it will end very badly. China controls 95% of the world's access to rare earth minerals which are used to make most of our favorite electronic devices, and you can guarantee those working into those ultra hazardous mines and refineries are NOT free.

China's control of rare earth metals:
  • Reply 33 of 78
    Would that America's working class had such courage.

Instead, we have a nation of "temporarily inconvenienced millionaires," i.e., pathetic dupes convinced they'll be welcomed into the ruling class if only they work hard enough.
  • Reply 34 of 78

Isn't it amazing that we can send men to the moon and build, send, land, and drive amazing six wheeled robotic rovers on the surface of mars, but we can't make a California designed smartphone in America? I think many of us bought into a cleverly designed marketing scam to justify excessive consumption of mostly cheap (chinese made) crap.

• Reply 35 of 78

Quote:

This is due to exploitation and Apple is contributing to it. What, only a couple of bucks or so go labor on iPhone?

Then it is all your fault for purchasing Apple products for 22 years.

You should have been protesting in Cupertino with signs stating, "BRING JOBS BACK TO USA!".

(Maybe you forgot /s after your post?)

• Reply 36 of 78

An insanely great video clip from 1990 of Steve Jobs talking highly about Next's American factory and it's use of automation ;

This is interesting since Apple went to China to build their products, not to use the latest high-tech automation but to take advantage of poor slave-like human workers.

Look how much better workers were treated in Next's California factory (from a 1990 edition of Fortune magazine):

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/1990/02/26/73121/index.htm

"The workers are not restricted to the assembly line, as their counterparts are in a traditional factory. They are just as likely to be at their own computers, doing a statistical analysis of defect rates to find the cause of a snag. Next's two-year-old 40,000-square-foot plant in Fremont, California, produces circuitboards for more than 60 machines a day, or approximately $100 million of hardware in a year. That's just a fraction of capacity, since Next sales are off to a slow start. If the machines are a hit, the plant could produce up to $1 billion worth of them a year with no more than 100 workers. Says Jobs: ''I'm as proud of the factory as I am of the computer.''

• Reply 37 of 78
    aiaaia Posts: 181member

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Here we go, more feeding frenzy to come... As an expat living in China, I can tell you that their are in fact 10's of thousands of demonstrations in China every year. Yes, 10's of thousands. As to the sensational headlines, and story here about "mass disturbance" and "damage to the plant's infrastructure", in the photos it looks like a couple windows were broken and the guard station and gate were destroyed. Until more news comes out, hardly seems like a massive riot. If in fact the guards beat up an employee, I'm sure the situation will be rectified very very quickly. It is also sensationalism to call this an "iPhone 5 plant" when in it appears that they make many kinds of parts for many types of products and the only item they make for the iPhone is the back aluminum structure. Why not call it an X-Box plant since Foxconn also makes those? Or a Dell plant, or an HP plant since they most likely also make components for them?

I agree, this looks quite tame compared to the recent anti-Japan riots.

• Reply 38 of 78
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,385member

Quote:

Uh, noone gives a shit how long you've been an Apple customer, why do so many people need to spam their posts with that? An moronic post is a moronic post, and yours deifnitely fits the bill, no matter how long you've been an 'Apple customer', how tall you are, your ethnicity, age, or eye color. I hope you stop doing business with all companies that deal with China, since you want to stop exploitation and all. You know, if you're not a hypocrite. 

• Reply 39 of 78
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

An insanely great video clip from 1990 of Steve Jobs talking highly about Next's American factory and it's use of automation ;

This is interesting since Apple went to China to build their products, not to use the latest high-tech automation but to take advantage of poor slave-like human workers.

Look how much better workers were treated in Next's California factory (from a 1990 edition of Fortune magazine):

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/1990/02/26/73121/index.htm

"The workers are not restricted to the assembly line, as their counterparts are in a traditional factory. They are just as likely to be at their own computers, doing a statistical analysis of defect rates to find the cause of a snag. Next's two-year-old 40,000-square-foot plant in Fremont, California, produces circuitboards for more than 60 machines a day, or approximately $100 million of hardware in a year. That's just a fraction of capacity, since Next sales are off to a slow start. If the machines are a hit, the plant could produce up to $1 billion worth of them a year with no more than 100 workers. Says Jobs: ''I'm as proud of the factory as I am of the computer.''

So you'd rather Apple use robots to build their machines instead, Im sure all those Chinese workers would be better off eh? Maybe then they'd just go live off their investments or something. Or, more likely, go back to their villages and starve. But hey, at least we don't have "slave labor" then, right? What a humanitarian you are. And by humanitarian, I mean naive, idealistic, short-sighted hypocrite. 

• Reply 40 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Synced between Notes on my Macs and my iPad. Not done yet. image

Don't forget to share it with us once it's done!

OT: Wasn't there some particular image you said you'd use as your signature if the new iPhone was called iPhone 5? I haven't seen that yet.