Riot reported at Apple partner manufacturer Foxconn's iPhone 5 plant [ux2]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The pre-teens are probably not the actual rioters. The news gets out of some injustice and the hooligans converge to vent their anger for whatever cause de jure. There is a lot of sociological assertiveness emerging in many parts of the developing world recently and the majority of these disturbances are instigated by adolescent males. The examples are wide ranging but there have been recent news of riots in China about tiny disputed islands on which no one lives but nevertheless it has caused numerous burnings of Japanese businesses, flags and cars. Young people are immature in every society, but given an excuse for social disorder there is very little personal restraint and the confrontations escalate quickly. Occasionally we see the same type of crowd behavior in the the US and UK etc, but the emerging third world societies are particularly susceptible to this type of unrest as recent current events have confirmed especially in the Islamic world. 

Ahh... the dog days of summer when third-world countries all go a little batty and bristly. It will all settle down once it gets cold and abusing your immediate family becomes a far easier way to generate some warmth. 

• Reply 42 of 78
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,200member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

So you'd rather Apple use robots to build their machines instead, Im sure all those Chinese workers would be better off eh? Maybe then they'd just go live off their investments or something. Or, more likely, go back to their villages and starve. But hey, at least we don't have "slave labor" then, right? What a humanitarian you are. And by humanitarian, I mean naive, idealistic, short-sighted hypocrite. 

Improvement in factory automation plus rapidly increasing labor costs abroad and higher transportation costs offer hope that manufacturing capability/capacity will return to the U.S.--closer to consumers (hopefully still).

In the mean time, drink your slurpy while you can.

• Reply 43 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

So you'd rather Apple use robots to build their machines instead, Im sure all those Chinese workers would be better off eh? Maybe then they'd just go live off their investments or something. Or, more likely, go back to their villages and starve. But hey, at least we don't have "slave labor" then, right? What a humanitarian you are. And by humanitarian, I mean naive, idealistic, short-sighted hypocrite. 

I'm sure if you lived in the mid 1800's you would be supporting slave plantations of the south because by your reasoning the slaves were better off having those jobs and you would have bashed abolitionists for your same stupid and selfish reasons. It's always those (like yourself) who sold out and lost their conscious who want to bring others down to their level. 

• Reply 44 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

This story has nothing to do with Apple.

From Reuters:

He said the company will issue a statement later on Monday. The Taiyuan plant makes parts for automotive electronics as well as a variety of other electronic parts.

Ahh...so... this explains evely thing. These were Honda and Toyota parts for much hated Japanese companies! Evelyone liot!!!

• Reply 45 of 78

A recent video clip of Tim Cook on why Apple doesn't have their own factory in China and if they will ever bring products back to the USA @

I think it's rather obvious that Apple hides behind their Foxconn partner (gives them room from taking direct responsibility on worker abuses) even though there are many Apple-only facilities within Foxconn properties.

• Reply 46 of 78
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Riot reported at Apple partner manufacturer Foxconn's iPhone 5 plant

So...I'm assuming everybody's already crossed off the list the possibility that it was a riot to get in and buy iPhones?

• Reply 47 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

An insanely great video clip from 1990 of Steve Jobs talking highly about Next's American factory and it's use of automation ;

This is interesting since Apple went to China to build their products, not to use the latest high-tech automation but to take advantage of poor slave-like human workers.

Look how much better workers were treated in Next's California factory (from a 1990 edition of Fortune magazine):

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/1990/02/26/73121/index.htm

"The workers are not restricted to the assembly line, as their counterparts are in a traditional factory. They are just as likely to be at their own computers, doing a statistical analysis of defect rates to find the cause of a snag. Next's two-year-old 40,000-square-foot plant in Fremont, California, produces circuitboards for more than 60 machines a day, or approximately $100 million of hardware in a year. That's just a fraction of capacity, since Next sales are off to a slow start. If the machines are a hit, the plant could produce up to $1 billion worth of them a year with no more than 100 workers. Says Jobs: ''I'm as proud of the factory as I am of the computer.''

Manufacturing has changed radically in the 20 years since that video. One of the things that Jobs learned from that experiment in automation is that it is (1) very expensive to set up, and (2) very hard to modify for a different product. (3) extremely hard to balance the workload, so the process that takes the most time becomes the bottle neck. (4) By the time you get a fully automated line tuned, you (a) need to tear it down and produce a different product, or (b) constantly be starting up and stopping the line due to critical machine maintenance. 

What works better in today's manufacturing is a combination of automation and human labor. Now, any factory is a hungry machine and needs to be fed constantly. Foxxcon has hundreds of manufacturers they build for and so feeding the factory is easy. Apple cannot stay competitive if they had to feed their own factory. Jobs learned that as well with NeXT. It was the lessons that he learned with the NeXT factory that brought him to the current fabrication strategy... not any love for Chinese labor. If there were an equivalent to Foxxcon in the USA, it would need an infrastructure to support it. (1) Massive numbers of production workers that could be hired or let go as work built up or died down. The hiring needed to be done in a matter of hours, not weeks or months. (2) Massive numbers of professionals need to be available for surges in need. For example, "we need 25,000 mechanical engineers next week." Such a request is possible in China, but just wouldn't be thinkable in the USA. 

Then, outside of the factory, there will be needed roads and runways to move the finished goods quickly and bring in raw materials even as rapidly. Look how long it took for Apple to get the solar and fuel cells installed in NC. American workers, suppliers and local governmental bodies just cannot act as fast as their Asian counterparts. We generally think in terms of weeks or months instead of days or hours. It was once in our DNA, but no longer is there.  Read up on how rapidly the Pentagon was built, or auto factories converted to tank production during WWII. The USA was once a powerhouse of production, not just in volume but also in speed of ramping up. While the world is evolving faster today than in 1940, the USA infrastructure is acting as a damping effect on keeping up. 

Even if we were to try to ramp up our automation, we encounter strange problems. For example, it was an American mathematician that developed fuzzy logic, the basis of smooth robotic control. No American factory was interested in that form of machine control, however the Asians were. Now, the Asians manufacture nearly all the robotic systems in the world. The USA would need to buy boatloads of Asian robotic machines and control systems just to get back into automation production. When you watch an American car commercial and they are showing the welding robots hard at work... you are watching Asians (in proxy) building American auto in American factories.

• Reply 48 of 78

Quote:

A recent video clip of Tim Cook on why Apple doesn't have their own factory in China and if they will ever bring products back to the USA @

I think it's rather obvious that Apple hides behind their Foxconn partner (gives them room from taking direct responsibility on worker abuses) even though there are many Apple-only facilities within Foxconn properties.

Your leap of logic is equivalent to blaming auto manufactures for abuses in iron mines. 

Even then, Apple has shown a deep interest in the health and welfare of the Foxxcon workers far beyond what may be required of them. In all fairness, this is in stark contrast to how Samsung concerns itself in the compliance of its suppliers to fundamental human treatment of their workers.

• Reply 49 of 78

Quote:

I'm sure if you lived in the mid 1800's you would be supporting slave plantations of the south because by your reasoning the slaves were better off having those jobs and you would have bashed abolitionists for your same stupid and selfish reasons. It's always those (like yourself) who sold out and lost their conscious who want to bring others down to their level. 

I'm afraid your analogy fails due to the negro slaves not being here willingly. They were totally at home in Africa, even though they may have starved in Africa due to local conditions, by bringing them to America we imposed a do or die condition upon them with no hope of financial betterment or returning home.

The Chinese worker has a choice to stay home and eke by, or go work for Foxxcon and create comparative wealth in a short period of time. This is more akin to how the gold rush worked in American society in the 1800s. In both situations, the idea was to return back home in a much improved financial condition than when one left. 

Your final sentence is so idiotic I won't even address it.

• Reply 50 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Update 2: Foxconn has reportedly shut down the Taiyuan factory due to the disturbance which reportedly injured 40 people.

40 people... that's less the number of people that scrub the toilets on the night shift.

• Reply 51 of 78
    mauszmausz Posts: 243member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Products made at Foxconn.

Microsoft (United States)[39] [Windows phone, X Box]

Didn't know Microsoft made Windows Phone hardware.....

• Reply 52 of 78
    these things happen all the time.

Gary.
  • Reply 53 of 78

Quote:

2012/09/23 09:22pm

This is due to exploitation and Apple is contributing to it. What, only a couple of bucks or so go labor on iPhone?

Apple is turning out to be the most greediest company in history.

Apple customer since 1990.....

• Reply 54 of 78

No insurance and break your iphone. Cost to replace = £119. Break your Samsung Galaxy III. Cost to replace = £500.

Erm who the greedy one now.

I have owned Apple products since 1996 and have only spent a vert small amount on repairs. In that time I have owned 3 desktops, 3 laptops and 5 iPhones (this is between 2 adults and 2 children).

2 iphones that I broke £238. 1 power pack in my imac £50. so in 16 years of ownership my bill or repairs come to £288. I've had numerous things fixed/replaced free of charge.

All the above from the worlds greediest company !!!! I think not.

They are out to make money, thats what their business is, but they have one of the best customer services and that counts for a lot in my book.

Gary.

• Reply 55 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Synced between Notes on my Macs and my iPad. Not done yet. image

Doesn't that score you a point? (Claiming ownership...) ;-)

• Reply 56 of 78
    Why did Steve change tactics? Mmm, could Next have lost their shirt trying to make these $13,000 computers and actually sell them?

I wish we really were in a world where it was just because we simply didnt want to do it. Sorry, but there are not enough trained American engineers available in the next 3 years to launch the iPhone 5. It took 60,000 trained engineers to launch the 3g version. Even if that number is unchanged with volume at 8 times higher, it still is just not possible here.
  • Reply 57 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

This is due to exploitation and Apple is contributing to it. What, only a couple of bucks or so go labor on iPhone?

Apple is turning out to be the most greediest company in history.

Apple customer since 1990...

I agree with most of the contributors that the first two statements are inaccurate and are opinions of the writer and the last is Irrelevant. Point 2 would be correct if the phrase "the most greedy" to "one of  the most greedy". The statement is based on corporate behaviour. When the previous CEO was alive, Apple didn't want to pay dividends to the shareholders or have charitable giving and now Apple have a huge sum of money offshore which they don't want to repatriate due to paying US tax.

Still, this has little to do with why the riot took place  it probably started like this

CheekMan : Do you mind? I can't hear a word he's saying.
    Wife: Don't you "do you mind" me...I'm talking to my husband.
    Cheeky Man: Well go and talk to him somewhere else! I can't hear a bloody
    thing!
    Big-nose: Don't you swear at my wife.
    CheekyMan: I was only asking her to shut up so we can hear what he's saying,
    Big-nose.
    Wife: Don't you call my husband "Big-nose."
    Cheeky Man: Well he has got a big nose.
  • Reply 58 of 78

Morenci AZ

ZhengZhou China

Daly City CA

• Reply 59 of 78

Quote:

Greed is the inordinate desire to possess wealth, goods, or objects of abstract value with the intention to keep it for one's self, far beyond the dictates of basic survival and comfort. It is applied to a markedly high desire for and pursuit of wealth, status, and power.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greed

Quote:

In economics, the term economic efficiency refers to the use of resources so as to maximize the production of goods and services.[1] An economic system is said to be more efficient than another (in relative terms) if it can provide more goods and servicesfor society without using more resources. In absolute terms, a situation can be called economically efficient if:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_efficiency

• Reply 60 of 78

Was Andrew Carnegie a Robber Barron?

Leland Stanford?

Bill Gates?

Steve Jobs?

Tim Cook?