Apple announces iPhone 5 sales top 5 million in first weekend

Comments

• Reply 21 of 102
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    Announce blowout numbers, stock price drops 2%
    Aapl is a weird stock.
  • Reply 22 of 102
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    For comparison, how big were the Galaxy S3 sales numbers the first weekend?

They won't release their sale figures in financial report so what's the point?
  • Reply 23 of 102
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Does this figure include all the sales that are still processing and haven't shipped (or aren't in transit)? Because I'm assuming if your order is still processing and you don't have any tracking information you still have the right to cancel the order?
  • Reply 24 of 102
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

Aapl is a weird stock.

This is normal behaviour for stock. Buy on rumor, sell on news.

• Reply 25 of 102
    Apple could still be on target to sell 10M by the end of Apple's fiscal year on 29th September. Remember, Apple has purchased so much air freight capacity going out to the first week of October, that it has pushed up air freight rates for everyone else.

This is going to be a blockbuster every way you look at it. In terms of Sales, Revenues, and even in terms of shutting out the Galaxy S3 once again.

Anyone notice how Samsung has dropped prices of the S3 dramatically soon after the iPhone 5 was launched? I guess you can't see this easily in the US, where most phones are anyway subsidized - but in the rest of the world, it has dropped significantly.
  • Reply 26 of 102
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    One also has to factor in the fact that the iPhone 5 is launching in two additional countries compared to the 4S - Hong Kong and Singapore, which would account for some of the additional sales of the iPhone 5.  Without specific numbers, it's impossible to say exactly how much this was a factor, but it does cast the increase in 1st weekend sales in a bit of a different light.

For the first weekend this additional 2 countries wouldn't matter one bit. The back order will be more fulfilled if those are not included.
  • Reply 27 of 102
    For comparison, how big were the Galaxy S3 sales numbers the first weekend?

Who cares? Why is that so important to you? This thread is about Apple's amazing sales. Kudos to Apple.
  • Reply 28 of 102
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member

Quote:

Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

iPhone 4S first weekend sales were over 4M. This isn't bad, the iPhone is still gaining momentum. Shows you how good analysts are when they said 6-10M. Sure wished I saw 10M though.

Pre-market numbers aren't looking pretty, ~$684

It's another case of analysts getting carried away and simply doubling the 4S sales because the pre-orders doubled. Until Apple issues more detailed guidance of their own (and why would they when no one else does?), these "misses" will happen. 6-10 million would have been nice, 5 million is still a lot of phones over 3 days. Remember, only the pre-orders that shipped "count" in the 4 million. The undelivered ones won't be sales until they ship.

• Reply 29 of 102
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    Spare a thought for the poor old stock trader. With recent gains and a blockbuster iPhone launch, expect the 'outrageous' predictions to continue up to the 4th quarter returns culminating in totally over the top profit predictions which cannot be reached. Classic shorting strategy to lower the stock price >> take profits >> buy back on the rebound >> take profits...rinse, repeat. Apple is the darling for those using stock movements on a daily basis.
    However...
    Apple might just throw a spanner in the works of this strategy by releasing the iPad mini in the lead up to Christmas.
  • Reply 30 of 102
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

Aapl is a weird stock.

It's because analysts had set stratospheric goals of 8-10 million by doubling last year's 4S sales. It was a case of oversimplification (assuming twice the pre-order sales meant twice the total orders). I think the reality is that Apple is limited by supply. If they had 10 million phones to sell over the weekend, they might have sold 8-10 million, but they had 5 million to sell.

• Reply 31 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

Apple can't sell iPhones faster than it can make them. Thus initial sales aren't going to be a good indicator of how many iPhone 5's it may finally sell.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

I'm surprised it wasn't more when you compare to the 4S, a significantly smaller upgrade.

Should have been a lot more, they turned away many from lack of inventory. This was not their first go around, they know there will be big demand. Either start production sooner or wait an extra 1-3 weeks to release until inventory is enough to satisfy first weekend needs.... my opinion that no one agrees with.

• Reply 32 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Connell View Post

One also has to factor in the fact that the iPhone 5 is launching in two additional countries compared to the 4S - Hong Kong and Singapore, which would account for some of the additional sales of the iPhone 5.  Without specific numbers, it's impossible to say exactly how much this was a factor, but it does cast the increase in 1st weekend sales in a bit of a different light.

Actually, Hong Kong and Singapore both got 'limited' launches.  Both websites still have opened up to pre-order via web.  In Hong Kong, you either purchase through carriers with contract attached or you register your information on Apple's websites and they make draws each day and see if you get lucky.  And the chances are really really small (less than 1%) to get chosen to get a chance to go purchase on next day in Apple store.  To give you an idea of how high the demand is (remember China market as well), a 16 GB phone will fetch a premium of about $3000 HKD ~ $380 USD if you sell to the grey market.  If you want to BUY one from grey market, it is $4000 premium (the phone itself is only $5588 retail).  A lot of the grey market resellers are actually getting their supply from Australia, US, etc. 

• Reply 33 of 102
    ...but....but I don't understand why anybody would purchase the new iPhone 5 with those "crappy maps"! Everyone buys a smart phone for the maps. It's the maps I tell you!!! crappy!!!

/s

Maps working great everywhere I've looked in Germany... Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Minneapolis, MN... and some little hockey towns in Minnesota like International Falls, Roseau, Warroad... and Ely, entrance to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. Love the vector maps actually(!)

Just how "outback" do many of you live anyway?
  • Reply 34 of 102
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Sammy "shipped" 20 MM GS3 is 100 days. Apple sells 5MM iphone5s in 3 days (and sold out). What a total failure! /s

Analysts think Apple can sell X number of iphones independently of what Apple can produce in a relatively short period of time.

• Reply 35 of 102
    I am kind of surprised. With much wider international release, upgrade customer base, and upgrade significance it seems to be a failure. Now if apple recognizes revenue on shipment, severe inventory constraints may explain this.
  • Reply 35 of 102
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    ifij775 wrote: »
    I'm surprised it wasn't more when you compare to the 4S, a significantly smaller upgrade.

I think all of these estimates were overblown. The question is how many phones could they have sold?

I've bought phones and tablets from Apple the first day. It takes then a certain amount of time to handle each customer. And while its gotten faster, it's not that much faster. So they can get a certain number of people through in a day. The web site in theory, can do better, but even there , we get congestion.

And then we have the carriers and third party retailers, all of whom ran out of stock. Again, I don't know how they handle sales when out of stock. Do they count as a sale, an order that isn't paid for? That order could be cancelled.

If Apple had twice as many phones available, would they have been able to sell more?

I think that over 5 million for three days is pretty damn good.
  • Reply 37 of 102
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Should have been a lot more, they turned away many from lack of inventory. This was not their first go around, they know there will be big demand. Either start production sooner or wait an extra 1-3 weeks to release until inventory is enough to satisfy first weekend needs.... my opinion that no one agrees with.

Here's the problem with that. They don't care about opening weekend records. They will still sell as much as they can produce. If they produced 7MM phones and sold out, people should have complained they should have started even earlier. When was the design finished? Also, if you start producing the 5 earlier, you'll have to stop producing the 4S sooner as well and then you'll have a gap.

I'm sure Tim Cook knows what he's doing.

• Reply 38 of 102

<sarcasm>

I guess all that money Samsung spent on full page ads and TV spots really worked to get people to stop buying an iPhone.

</sarcasm>

• Reply 39 of 102

Sooner than what? Wait for how long? If there are 200 million people that would buy an iPhone in the first weekend should they be producing them for a year before selling them just so everyone who could possibly want them could get them in the very first weekend?

"No, no, that's not what I said." Yeah, it's a scenario based entirely on what you said about Apple should 1) predict any and all possible demand for a launch, and 2) have enough supply for them by stock piling perfectly working devices for an excessive length of time.

Note that the Kinect, still listed as the world's fastest selling consumer electronic, sold 8 million in 60 days. Apple sold 5 million iPhones in just 3 days. That's 1/20th the time for 63% of the unit sales for a considerable more complex device.

So, no, it's impossible to agree with your opinion when it's not based on the reality that Apple's demand far exceeds what 1) production can reasonable handle for a launch, 2) what stores can reasonably handle for a launch.

You're also ignoring that 1) Apple wants to sell as many iPhones as possible (especially with a record breaking weekend, and 2) that no one in the history of electronics has been able to push this many CE in such a short time frame.
  • Reply 40 of 102
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

Not really. We don't know how much over 5 million the sales were. Apple likes to stick with even numbers: over 5 million, rather than 5.25 million.