Apple announces iPhone 5 sales top 5 million in first weekend

Comments

• Reply 61 of 102

22 more countries on the 28th, plus the time for any additional units to ship to current counties before then. 10M this quarter is a possibility, again it'll be a supply side problem.

Once it all calms down, we'll have another release on our hands with the "iPad mini"... if only that could make cellular calls image

• Reply 62 of 102
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    nelsonx wrote: »
    Six million was the worst case scenario, so this is a fail. The Maps scandal probably accounted for 2 millions. The lack of NFC is responsible for another million. Personally, I'm holding my iPhone 4 another year. If the iPhone 6 will not have NFC, great Maps and that fingerprint thing they just bought, I give up on Apple.

That's nonsense! These made up numbers don't mean much.

First, it doesn't look as though the maps problems account for too much of a problem as far as the stock goes. And then, the market is down today, especially tech stocks. Lack of NFC is one thing that people do t care about in the least, as it‘s a failure so far

I doubt you even have an iPhone. Your post points to that pretty well.
  • Reply 63 of 102

I hope so, but also a covering-my-ass tactic to keep their reputation. It would be interesting if the shipping partners were the bottleneck and not the supply side.

• Reply 64 of 102
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Can they crank out 5's as easily as they did 4's? Since most stores are out of stock and Apple's website says 3-4 weeks for shipping I'm assuming they sold everything they built. So either there are supply constraints or they underestimated the demand and didn't build enough. I'm assuming its the former.
  • Reply 65 of 102
    originalg wrote: »

I hope so, but also a covering-my-ass tactic to keep their reputation. It would be interesting if the shipping partners were the bottleneck and not the supply side.

I don't think so. I've been thinking the same thing they have, as you can read in my other posts here. I just think its difficult to sell more than a certain number over the same period of time, when just three days are taken into account.

Why would there be over 2 million Pre orders, and then "just" five million for the weekend? That makes little sense, if a lot more "could" have been sold. At some point, there could be saturation, and everything else would be more ordering, but less actual final sales.

Remember that there were problems with Sharp delivering screens until the very last week. That could have limited the number available. There were other shortages we read of for other parts. Apple doesn't like to talk about this, whereas other companies would be detailing every minor delay.
  • Reply 66 of 102
    rogifan wrote: »
    Can they crank out 5's as easily as they did 4's? Since most stores are out of stock and Apple's website says 3-4 weeks for shipping I'm assuming they sold everything they built. So either there are supply constraints or they underestimated the demand and didn't build enough. I'm assuming its the former.

1) iPhone 5 compared to iPhone 4 could be on par with their difficultly, but the 4S was probably easier since they had a year's experience with the basic form. the 5S will probably do the same.

2) For all "intensive" purposes they sold all they could make but stores do keep a small number of devices of each SKU on hand in case a buyer has a dud model. It's one thing to turn a customer away because you've sold out but quite another to turn a customer away that has a non-functioning phone they just bought.
  • Reply 67 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

Six million was the worst case scenario, so this is a fail. The Maps scandal probably accounted for 2 millions. The lack of NFC is responsible for another million. Personally, I'm holding my iPhone 4 another year. If the iPhone 6 will not have NFC, great Maps and that fingerprint thing they just bought, I give up on Apple.

I think you are too kind for Apple. You forgot :

- scuff gate (1 Million)

- Foxconn riots (1 million)

• Reply 68 of 102

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's one thing to turn a customer away because you've sold out but quite another to turn a customer away that has a non-functioning phone they just bought.

Like Best Buy did.

• Reply 69 of 102
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'm curious to know how many have pending orders that haven't shipped yet and aren't in transit? Apple wouldn't be counting those as sales. I know I'm in that boat and know of a couple other people who are too.
  • Reply 70 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

I hope so, but ....

There nothing to hope. It is pretty much certain.

• Reply 71 of 102
    I'm curious if the 5 million number includes the pre-orders that started the week or two before? They had 2 million pre-orders just in the first 24 hours of launching those. I would assume something like 5 million pre-orders over the remaining pre-order period alone%u2026 If this 5 million is on top of that? Wow...
  • Reply 72 of 102
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) iPhone 5 compared to iPhone 4 could be on par with their difficultly, but the 4S was probably easier since they had a year's experience with the basic form. the 5S will probably do the same.
    2) For all "intensive" purposes they sold all they could make but stores do keep a small number of devices of each SKU on hand in case a buyer has a dud model. It's one thing to turn a customer away because you've sold out but quite another to turn a customer away that has a non-functioning phone they just bought.

Did you purposely misstate "for all intents and purposes"? I think most retailers sold all of their stock and forcing people to go to Apple with any defective devices.
  • Reply 73 of 102
    I'm curious if the 5 million number includes the pre-orders that started the week or two before? They had 2 million pre-orders just in the first 24 hours of launching those. I would assume something like 5 million pre-orders over the remaining pre-order period alone%u2026 If this 5 million is on top of that? Wow...

It's a good question actually. I supposed it does include them, but if they are only including sales as phones shipped to consumers, or sold "in hand", then likely many of them wouldn't be included, only those that had been shipped, and billed. What percentage that would be, I have no idea.

But they did say 2 million sold for the preorders, before they had a chance to ship out.
  • Reply 74 of 102

300 physical stores setup for the "stack and quick-swipe" parade… I've seen how they manage the big releases. It's pretty efficient. Easily a thousand transactions an hour, if not more than that.

I don't see 5 million being a problem, even if they physically had the stock. But this is a combination of physical locations, online sales, reseller sales, etc. I'm not sure if the 5 million number includes the "pre-orders" we saw previously (2 million in the first 24 hours? And one assumes much more while running up to launch), but I'm going to assume it doesn't...

I think they could have counted a few million more sold if they had the stock. There is a 3-4 week waiting period for ALL models currently. That 3-week gap in itself represents at least a few million units sold but not yet shipped (and so not yet counted as sold by Apple). You can bet if it was Samsung, or Amazon or Motorola, they'd be counting the outstanding "waiting for stock" orders too.

So, yes, perhaps the launch weekend sales of 7 or 8 million DID happen, they're just not counted yet as they couldn't deliver them right away.

Again I wonder about the original pre-orders, and if they're counted into the "launch weekend total". I'd love to know a first weekend number including pre-orders.

• Reply 75 of 102
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Did you purposely misstate "for all intents and purposes"?

I put it in quotes and italicized it. I had hoped that would make my intention obvious.
  • Reply 76 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

WSJ:

Many analysts were expecting sales would top 6 million; Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray even estimated sales could hit 10 million.

Wow what a miss by the analyst. I wonder how he came up with the number like this.

The analysts had no idea what quantity Apple had available for sale so for once they can't be blamed for an incorrect projection. Apple basically sold all that they had available and the 5 million delivered doesn't included backorders.

• Reply 77 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

I think you are too kind for Apple. You forgot :

- scuff gate (1 Million)

- Foxconn riots (1 million)

don't forget

--Chinese "slave" labor (2 MM)

--Jobs would be disappointed (1.5 MM)

• Reply 78 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

Good! More for the rest of us! Shorter wait times. Now I'll get my new phone twelve seconds sooner! Woo hoo!

It isn't like you're going to "suffer" by holding onto the iPhone 4 awhile longer. My 3GS is only now starting to show some battery-time slippage, but is otherwise a FINE phone (and iOS 6 ready, go figure!). I'll probably make the iPhone 5 my next phone. In a month or two maybe… no hurry. And by then I'm sure they'll be plentiful and in stock, Maps (gasp! SCANDALOUS!!) will be in much better shape, and NFC? My personal-urban-dictionary shows that stands for "No-one F'n Cares" ...

Oh and fingerprint scanning? Apple is probably doing one better. Haven't you seen the face and voice recognition stuff they're working on? Yeah… fingerprints are SO "Microsoft in the 90s"… please!

• Reply 79 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by simtub View Post

In other news, apple didn't announce that 5 million iPhone 5 users now have a crippled maps app

Who forgot to deploy the anti-troll spray?

• Reply 80 of 102
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I put it in quotes and italicized it. I had hoped that would make my intention obvious.

I kinda figured that but wanted to be sure.