iPhone 5 outperforms Samsung's Galaxy S III in display test

Comments

• Reply 21 of 111
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Is that thing on the right from Toys R Us?

They're ALL 'toys' in many ways, but at least the one 'on the right' came completely without blemishes/manufacturing defects, which is more than can be said for the one on the left. :-)
  • Reply 22 of 111
    jeffdm wrote: »
    Camera sensors have two green sites for each red and blue site, I'm surprised they didn't make better adjustments to account for what is likely a very easily solved problem.

If you look at the closeups of PenTile displays the Green subpixels are smaller than the Red and Blue subpixels, but that simply doesn't work for every rendering that could be displayed. I guess they have the system adjust the display based on an algorithm that determines what image type is most prominent but if you're going to go to that much trouble you might as well just invest in a properly rendered display.
  • Reply 23 of 111
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    OLED technology will be superior one day- it just isn't now. That's why the IPS LCD dominates it.

And daharder- if the iPhone is so much worse than the s3- why is the iPhone the one on the network?
  • Reply 24 of 111
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

So, based on what I've seen, the Galaxy S III has failed the Android Authority drop test, failed the processor speed tests (even though Apple's A6 is running at a lower clock speed), failed the screen test.  What's next?  The battery test? That should be EASY.

So what really does the Samsung S III really have that's better?  A larger screen?  WOW.

Don't forget the "superior pocket profile"!

• Reply 25 of 111
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    daharder wrote: »
    ...and it matters to very few but those bent on some silly 'Team This vs Team That' nonsense.
    Reasonable people just buy what they want and don't bother worrying about what others do.

No, reasonable people have an open mind and look at facts rather than listening to the paid shills from Samsung.

The iPhone has been shown to be faster, have a much better screen, much better ecosystem, far better customer satisfaction and much higher demand than any other phone on the market. If you can demonstrate that the SIII is a better choice for some reason, feel free to do so.
    drblank wrote: »
    So, based on what I've seen, the Galaxy S III has failed the Android Authority drop test, failed the processor speed tests (even though Apple's A6 is running at a lower clock speed), failed the screen test.  What's next?  The battery test? That should be EASY.

So what really does the Samsung S III really have that's better?  A larger screen?  WOW.

They have more paid shills. See Daharder's post, for example.

solipsismx wrote: »
    Also, since we're not dealing with RGB-RGB but RG-BG subpixels I don't think it's accurate to simply state the pixels whilst ignoring an inferior subpixel arrangement. The Phone 5 has 978 SPPI (subpixels per inch) while the Samsung SII only has 612 SPPI.

Exactly. That's why the iPhone is retina even when held significantly closer than the SIII. Anything is retina if you hold it far enough away.
  • Reply 26 of 111
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    andysol wrote: »
    OLED technology will be superior one day- it just isn't now. That's why the IPS LCD dominates it.
    And daharder- if the iPhone is so much worse than the s3- why is the iPhone the one on the network?
    And there isn't any proof those are yours. Take a picture of your fridge and puttem both on the same table with that picture on it. You've never proven your stack of devices are really yours. Not that I really care one way or the other- but I just don't believe ya. Someone who hates apple that much wouldn't constantly support them.

Oh Please... just because you don't appear to understand that there are those of us who simply appreciate/buy technology (from ALL manufacturers) because we enjoy it doesn't justify some inane conspiracy from those who don't.

Additionally: Find ONE Post wherein I said I 'hate Apple' - (Hint: There Isn't One).
  • Reply 27 of 111
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Even the nearly two and a half year old iPhone 4 gets a better screen score than the Galaxy S III.

That's pretty sad. 

For the fandroids, that is. It's obviously good for Apple, and I couldn't care less what Samsung feels.
    And unreasonable people whine that scores don't matter only when their team is losing. And buy two of every device on the market.

It's understandable that he has to buy two of every Samsung phone. That way, he has one to use while the other is charging.

They're ALL 'toys' in many ways, but at least the one 'on the right' came completely without blemishes/manufacturing defects, which is more than can be said for the one on the left. :-)

Really? So where are the relative defect rates for the two products?

As usual, you're pretending that a few anecdotal reports are meaningful (at least when they support your hatred of Apple products).

In the end, Apple's products have by far the best customer satisfaction rating in the industry while Samsung is well below average. That's far more important than your silly whining.
  • Reply 28 of 111

Maybe next year the Galaxy S will get an updated screen....

• Reply 29 of 111
    Sure... Whatever...
    Which still makes my opinion, which comes from a vantage point of Actually Owning These Devices, vastly more relevant/credible than some over-zealous, divisive rhetoric spewing brand-fanatic to whom 'scores don't matter when their team is losing'.
    http://imageshack.us/a/img37/7893/p1000616m.jpg

Having owned both of these phones myself, I much prefer the iPhone 5's display over that of the S III. Both displays are nice, but even compared to the display of my 4S, the S III's display looked yellow and a bit washed out, especially when browsing. Text was crisper as well on the iPhone. Sorry if that's not what you want to hear, but that's my experience, having owned both phones as well.
  • Reply 30 of 111

Please.  Everyone knows Pentile and OLED screens suck except the Samsung fanboys. 

For a real comparison, they should have used the HTC One X, which uses a real RGB IPS LCD panel (called S LCD and made by Sony) or a high end LG phone (also RGB IPS).  After all, LG is the main manufacturer of Apple's IPS screens... 

Samsung phones have the worst displays out of all high-end Androids - HTC, LG, Sony all use better screens.  And at the moment LCD technology is still ahead of OLED. 

• Reply 31 of 111

Well, I have Galaxy Note with a large OLED screen, which looks great until I put it side by side with my iPhone 4S, which is far brighter, crisper, clearer and with much better color definition! Also, after a few weeks the Note OLED screen started to dim after a few seconds. No amount of adjustments in settings changes this. Worse still battery life has dropped dramatically, to less than an hour!

• Reply 32 of 111
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

the one on the right is made with cheap plastic. No one cares if it has blemishes.

• Reply 33 of 111
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,229member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

OLED technology will be superior one day- it just isn't now.

LCD will be superior to plasma one day. People have been saying that for at least a decade.

Which technology is better never actually matters.

What matters is whether you're using the best technology available. Or in the case of Samsung, not so much. In that respect, Samsung is way ahead of Apple.

/s

• Reply 34 of 111
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Well, they just like BIGGER, but not necessarily BETTER. They probably don't even have the apps that have been made to take advantage of their resolution.

What I found funny is that only the GREEN pixels are at a high density, but the RED and BLUE pixels are only at 206ppi. So what does THAT mean? LOT'S OF GREEN?

Shouldn't they ALL be at the SAME pixel density as the screen? Wouldn't that make more sense? I am just looking this from a common sense perspective and I am not an expert in screens, but i am just looking at the specs.

The other problem that I have seen videos and discussions on is that OLED screens do get burn-in from displaying WHITE. Maybe someone should investigate that.

I'm waiting for the battery tests, that's something that could EASILY be tested.
  • Reply 35 of 111

What cracks me up the most is that the Samsung S III isn't always using THEIR own processor, many of them have a Snapdragon S4.  I wonder why?  Maybe their own chip SUCKS and they are just putting them in some markets hoping that no one will notice the difference.  What's up with that Samsung?

• Reply 36 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasparilla View Post

Maybe next year the Galaxy S will get an updated screen....

Shush . haven't you heard? Samsung have denied that they will be launching a new Galaxy 4 in spring next year!

They would say that, wouldn't they, image because they are scared that people will stop buying Galaxy 3, knowing it is yesterday's technology.image

• Reply 37 of 111
    I've never understood Samsung's insistence on using AMOLED. The technology is fairly new and as of now inferior to IPS LCD.
  • Reply 38 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

Please.  Everyone knows Pentile and OLED screens suck except the Samsung fanboys. 

For a real comparison, they should have used the HTC One X, which uses a real RGB IPS LCD panel (called S LCD and made by Sony) or a high end LG phone (also RGB IPS).  After all, LG is the main manufacturer of Apple's IPS screens... 

Samsung phones have the worst displays out of all high-end Androids - HTC, LG, Sony all use better screens.  And at the moment LCD technology is still ahead of OLED. 

Yeah, but isn't Apple now using the In-Cell screens that Apple has a patent on?  IPS screens were originally designed by Hitachi YEARS ago, but I guess Apple has been working with various screen suppliers, LG IS ONLY ONE OF THEM, to improve them.

• Reply 39 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Color Gamut is not only much larger than the Standard Color Gamut, which leads to distorted and exaggerated colors, but the Color Gamut is quite lopsided, with Green being a lot more saturated than Red or Blue, which adds a Green color caste to many images.

So now we know how they picked the color for the little Android character.

• Reply 40 of 111

Why do Apple Fanboys feel so threatened by the GS3?

Just askin'...