iPhone 5 outperforms Samsung's Galaxy S III in display test

Comments

• Reply 41 of 111
    daharder wrote: »
    Find ONE Post wherein I said I 'hate Apple' - (Hint: There Isn't One).

Checkmate DaHarder. :D
  • Reply 42 of 111
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    jungmark wrote: »

the one on the right is made with cheap plastic. No one cares if it has blemishes.

Untrue... The 'one on the right' is made of Polycarbonate which is an advanced thermoplastic polymer composite material, and said substrate anything but 'cheap' in either its durability or resitance to damage from impacts and extreme temperatures.

Anyway... Choice Is Nice (and I always have plenty of devices from which to choose) :-)
  • Reply 43 of 111

This is intriguing, ironic and puzzling given that Samsung produces the display on iPhone 4 (and 5 too).

• Reply 44 of 111
    The only major problem is that Wall Street perceives the slight advantage that Apple has in quality isn't really worth anything to most consumers. Wall Street truly believes that all Apple products are going to be commoditized by slightly lower quality but much less expensive products from rivals. In other words, Wall Street believes that Apple is wasting its time on useless values and charging consumers too much money for almost nothing.
  • Reply 45 of 111
    hentaiboy wrote: »
    Why do Apple Fanboys feel so threatened by the GS3?

Just askin'...

Shall we visit any Android forum and ask the same question in reverse?
  • Reply 46 of 111
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    drblank wrote: »
    What cracks me up the most is that the Samsung S III isn't always using THEIR own processor, many of them have a Snapdragon S4.  I wonder why?  Maybe their own chip SUCKS and they are just putting them in some markets hoping that no one will notice the difference.  What's up with that Samsung?

Wrong... It was an issue they were having with LTE compatibility with some of the US networks/carriers.

Personally... I find the S4 to be a very capable SoC, and in the US the GSIII devices come with 2gb of RAM, which makes muli-tasking much more efficient

The only major problem is that Wall Street perceives the slight advantage that Apple has in quality isn't really worth anything to most consumers. Wall Street truly believes that all Apple products are going to be commoditized by slightly lower quality but much less expensive products from rivals. In other words, Wall Street believes that Apple is wasting its time on useless values and charging consumers too much money for almost nothing.

Agreed!
  • Reply 47 of 111

Everyone knows Pentile OLED and it's shared subpixels are crap. We needed a study for that? RGB OLED vs SLCD2 is where the test should be.

• Reply 48 of 111
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    hentaiboy wrote: »
    Why do Apple Fanboys feel so threatened by the GS3?

Just askin'...

Why do Android fans feel so threatened by iPhone that they troll Apple forums?

Just askin'...
  • Reply 49 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Overall, the iPhone 5 scored an "A" rating while the Galaxy S III earned a "B+" on poor calibration and viewing angle issues.

but... but... the Lumia 920 is better... I mean, will be, one day, who knows...

• Reply 50 of 111
    Even though the iPhone 5 won, I think this test is bogus, and obviously spec-driven. The fact that an OLED Pen-tile screen (which is total shit), even came close to the iPhone panel is just ridiculous.

I know AppleInsider is putting this story up to brag, but it's still a crap comparison.
  • Reply 51 of 111
    Its a shame the iphone screen is so small you have to zoom in to see anything; or hold it 3 inches from your face. Maybe the iphone 6 will have a screen size thats actually practical to see.
  • Reply 52 of 111
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Even though the iPhone 5 won, I think this test is bogus, and obviously spec-driven. The fact that an OLED Pen-tile screen (which is total shit), even came close to the iPhone panel is just ridiculous.
    I know AppleInsider is putting this story up to brag, but it's still a crap comparison.

I think it s because Samsung is the "big dog" in the Android arena. 12 of the top 20 models are Samsung. HTC has a distant second at 4 out of the top 20, 2 for Moto, 2 for Google, making the non-Samsung Android players small fry.
  • Reply 53 of 111
    davestall wrote: »
    Its a shame the iphone screen is so small you have to zoom in to see anything; or hold it 3 inches from your face. Maybe the iphone 6 will have a screen size thats actually practical to see.

You could be honest with yourself and just say that you want a tablet. Just skip the phone altogether.
  • Reply 54 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

You could be honest with yourself and just say that you want a tablet. Just skip the phone altogether.

That is the solution an iphone user might use.  Fortunately the rest of the smartphone world (the majority) have much better options.

• Reply 55 of 111
    davestall wrote: »
    That is the solution an iphone user might use.  Fortunately the rest of the smartphone world (the majority) have much better options.

When you're talking about a field with near 5" and larger "phones", they really are mini tablets. What is the point in pretending they are phones?
  • Reply 56 of 111
    jeffdm wrote: »
    When you're talking about a field with near 5" and larger "phones", they really are mini tablets. What is the point in pretending they are phones?

Because (at least in the US) tablets can't make conventional phone/voice calls... ?
  • Reply 57 of 111
    daharder wrote: »
    Because (at least in the US) tablets can't make conventional phone/voice calls... ?

Now they do, now that we have several mini tablets with phone capability being sold as phones. Which is my point. Flog the bigger screen all you want, they keep getting bigger, but at what point is it where you'll say is a bit much?

Dell Streak 5 couldn't get traction to save Michael Dell's live a couple years ago at a 5" screen size, but now fandroids are saying that you must have 5" or it's nothing. Also, note that Streak was promoted as a tablet/phone hybrid. So I think it is valid to suggest people should be honest and say they're looking for a tablet phone, because they're getting to be comical in size.
  • Reply 58 of 111

Seriously AI...where do you find these articles? Clicking on the site looks like it was put together by some high school kid in his basement! Not to mention the errors, and bias rampant in the report.

I love how they give the GS3 screen an "Excellent OLED screen" assessment when compared to the GS2 in one report, but then "Very Good OLED Screen" when compared to the iPhone 5.

How about the fact that they compare battery life at maximum brightness, even though that metric clearly gives bias to a backlit device. At maximum brightness, an LED screen is using the least amount of energy possible (because the backlight is ALWAYS on), while an OLED device is using the most amount of energy possible. How about you compare what a typical user would use if your going to put out something meaningful?

Heck, the main benefits of an OLED screen, contrast and viewing angle, are completely trivialized in this report. I particularly love the "Large Brightness Shift with Viewing Angle" assessment for the iPhone 5 that laughably gets a green coloring for the cell....ridiculous report all around :)

• Reply 59 of 111
    jeffdm wrote: »
    Now they do, now that we have several mini tablets with phone capability being sold as phones. Which is my point. Flog the bigger screen all you want, they keep getting bigger, but at what point is it where you'll say is a bit much?

It's all a matter of one's perspective/biases, as it can easily be argued that smartphones are but smaller-screened tablets anyway.
  • Reply 60 of 111
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,200member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

This is intriguing, ironic and puzzling given that Samsung produces the display on iPhone 4 (and 5 too).

Nope! Samsung used to produce iPhone displays, but LG makes them now.

Samsung used to make the flash memory for Apple, but Hynix does now.

See a pattern here?