Google's Schmidt offers strong words regarding Apple Maps flap

Comments

• Reply 21 of 137
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    "That's great for Apple but the numbers are on our side."

I wonder what numbers he's talking about. Surely not the numbers that matter most to a company, like profits. Google makes more money from its advertising in iOS than it does in all the Androids combined, and Apple makes many times more money from its portable products than all of Android combined (in hardware, software, advertising, etc.).

But I wouldn't expect a thief to say thank-you to their victim.
  • Reply 22 of 137
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

I personally am sick of all this "maps" rubbish, I hardly ever used them, I bought a full navigation App for $15 over 3 years ago, for that FIVE DOLLARS A YEAR I have had voice navigation, maps stored on the device, speed limit information, school zone information, speed and traffic light camera locations, POI's from Google and I have used this App across three iPhones and an iPad for FIVE DOLLARS A YEAR seriously I couldn't give a f**k about all this constant whining and bickering.

"ooh, ooh, ooh I can't find the local shops, the Apple maps says go the wrong way", "waah, waah, waah, I can't see a picture of my house, how will I find it if I go out", "whine, whine, whine, I can't read street signs and freaking arrows pointing to train stations or the timetables and signs THEY HAVE IN train and bus stations to direct you where to go"

Seriously, everyone needs to HTFU.

***LANGUAGE WARNING***

• Reply 23 of 137
    Schmidt is the scuzball of the century.
  • Reply 24 of 137
    I like Apple's model for supporting third party public transit plugins. We have a great application here that can get you anywhere by any means of public transit. I'm hoping they integrate it so that a separate application isn't needed. Their mapping in that application is Ok, but it would be best to integrate it into the main mapping application to get better features for bookmarking, finding businesses, and then finding transportation to same.
  • Reply 25 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Also, the reason Android is "number one", its because it's given away for free to people...

You do realize that you've been able to get an iPhone for free for a while now too? So the argument about market share based on free phones seems kind of weak and pathetic now.

• Reply 26 of 137
    "He went on to say that the media was "obsessed with Apple's marketing events and Apple's branding," and largely ignores Android's success."

Perhaps that has something to do with the fact that 95% of what's good about Android was shamelessly copied from Apple.
  • Reply 27 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I wonder how much Google will charge for it, now that Apple has shown they don't want to pay Google's new licensing rates?

Google is a business not a charity.

Google can't charge a nickel for their map app. Google make their money via advertising and data mining users' personal information. Charging for their app would only reduce its popularity, since there are plenty of cheap and free alternatives out there. But get ready for a map app with sponsored points of interest, advertising, and extensive privacy intrusions now that Apple will no longer be there to place the consumers' interests first.

• Reply 28 of 137
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

... extensive privacy intrusions now that Apple will no longer be there to place the consumers' interests first.

Yet strong Facebook integration on iDevices is OK as long as Google's not involved, right? Just asking if your concerns are really about "privacy" or instead that Google is no longer considered a friend of Apple while Facebook currently is according to Mr. Cook.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/09/facebook-profiles-now-cross-referenced-with-retail-purchases/

• Reply 29 of 137
    Eric Schmidt. The mole who stole iOS to create Android. I would love to kill that guy. He should be in prison for stealing all of Apple's trade secrets.
  • Reply 30 of 137
    john.b wrote: »
    Anyone who wants Google maps on their iPhone can get them here: http://maps.google.com

Really? Because I sure don't see any street view on that... I swear, if I hear one more fanboy just saying to go on the website I really am going to flip. It's a totally different experience and lacks the one feature that most people miss from Apple Maps
  • Reply 31 of 137

Do you know just how many Samsung branded phones that runs Android here in Asia? You can go to any phone store and you'll be greeted with 10 different Samsung branded phones. There's the Y, the Y Pro, the Galaxy Ace 2, Galaxy Chat, Galaxy S and etc. And that's just Samsung. Compare that to the singular model Apple release annually. I would be extremely surprise if Android didn't have a larger market share. In fact I am remarkably impressed that Apple, one singular company, can compete in market share against Android phones.

• Reply 32 of 137
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    Harden the F**k up, Google!
  • Reply 33 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by tania View Post

Do you know just how many Samsung branded phones that runs Android here in Asia? You can go to any phone store and you'll be greeted with 10 different Samsung branded phones. There's the Y, the Y Pro, the Galaxy Ace 2, Galaxy Chat, Galaxy S and etc. And that's just Samsung. Compare that to the singular model Apple release annually. I would be extremely surprise if Android didn't have a larger market share. In fact I am remarkably impressed that Apple, one singular company, can compete in market share against Android phones.

Do they all come with Navigon, like the one's in Australia?

Just wondering why Samsung feels the need to use an alternative maps service.

• Reply 34 of 137
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    wings wrote: »
    "That's great for Apple but the numbers are on our side."
    I wonder what numbers he's talking about. Surely not the numbers that matter most to a company, like profits. Google makes more money from its advertising in iOS than it does in all the Androids combined, and Apple makes many times more money from its portable products than all of Android combined (in hardware, software, advertising, etc.).
    But I wouldn't expect a thief to say thank-you to their victim.

It's going to get worse. Google just cut themselves off from the most popular phone in the world - and their revenues are likely to reflect that.
    bemmer wrote: »
    Really? Because I sure don't see any street view on that... I swear, if I hear one more fanboy just saying to go on the website I really am going to flip. It's a totally different experience and lacks the one feature that most people miss from Apple Maps

Then go ahead and flip. No one cares.

Frankly, Street View looks like a total waste of time. I guess it's useful if you can't read a map or house numbers, but a normal person can look at a 2D map and see where they are.
  • Reply 35 of 137
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

It's been estimated that approx 2% of Google's 2012 revenues can be attributed to iOS devices. There won't be much if any pain felt this year, but Google certainly does need to pay close attention to it's mobile advertising plans and be prepared with alternates if need be.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/06/07/iphone-and-ipad-to-account-for-2-of-googles-2012-revenue/

• Reply 36 of 137
    As a fan of the Apple ecosystem that has been a flawless hardware and software execution for me for years, I am saddened by the flaws in the Maps app in IOS6. Although I would never purchase an Android anything (mishmash of crappy apps, no focus or guidelines for consistency that bring productivity and ease of use to an OS), I can see this is a simple cat fight in a cage. Apple loses the strength of Google's search strength (wait until Google is permanently replaced with BING! in IOS6 update #3) and Google loses the majority of their traffic flow and revenue stream.
    The 'open' Android ecosystem is anything but. Full of crapware and viral activity. Many large corporations won't touch it with a 10 foot pole until it can be locked down completely, losing that 'open' feeling completely. Apple appears to be making these smaller public mistakes of products not quite ready for the market, and too many of these are showing up lately in the consumer arena. Maybe we will be back to the early 80's in the market where smaller companies will have a chance to step up with better implemented solutions without all the infighting?
  • Reply 37 of 137

It was a mis-step ...a mis-step to trust Eric Schmidt ....It's time for apple to fight back and take Google down.

• Reply 38 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

You do realize that you've been able to get an iPhone for free for a while now too? So the argument about market share based on free phones seems kind of weak and pathetic now.

You are totally misunderstanding the original poster. They are referring to the fact that the Android operating system (a Google product) is given away for free to any handset maker to use. The handset makers don't have to spend the money developing their own OS and in turn Google gets to harvest more users information. Google have a great scam going. Give software and services away for free so they look over our shoulders and use that info to support their real revenue stream...Advertising.

I bought the RRS reader app Reeder when Apple removed RRS from Safari. After purchasing it, I found out that I cannot even use the Reeder app unless I log-in with Google first, so they can keep a copy of my RRS feeds in the cloud. I don't want nor need Google to have a copy of my RRS feed in the cloud or anywhere else. Google want to it so they know what advertisers to shove down my throat. When are people going to clue in that WE are not Google's customers. Advertisers are their customers. We are merely food for their real customers.

So is Apple's Maps app lacking? Evidently so. I for one, am prepared to give it some time to mature, and being that this Apple's first kick at the can with mapping, I wasn't expecting it to be perfect anyway. I have a Garmin in my car if I need it.

• Reply 39 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfugle View Post

Apple loses the strength of Google's search strength (wait until Google is permanently replaced with BING! in IOS6 update #3)

Why Bing?

Haven't you heard of Siri?

• Reply 40 of 137
    Ha, ha, ha! "The numbers are on our side." As in the number of third world customers who will contribute hardly any revenues to Google's bottom line. Or the number of no-name no-profit smartphone manufacturers racing to the bottom of the Android market.

Unlike Windows which was never open sourced, Microsoft was able to maintain control over the platform. Google, however, because of its bonehead decision to open source Android, will eventually lose control of its platform to the largest Android smartphone manufacturer. They're hoping it will be Motorola. It's going to be Samsung.