Google's Schmidt offers strong words regarding Apple Maps flap

Comments

• Reply 41 of 137
    Off topic but same dilemma-
    can't wait 'til MS Office comes to the iPad.
  • Reply 42 of 137
    jragosta wrote: »
    Then go ahead and flip. No one cares.
    Frankly, Street View looks like a total waste of time. I guess it's useful if you can't read a map or house numbers, but a normal person can look at a 2D map and see where they are.

Well, if that's the case then don't use directions or turn by turn. I use street view to see specifically where something is. When in a busy shopping strip not everything has a prominent premise number. Or when travelling its a good way to see specific landmarks. Or see what a hotel location looks like. It may look like a waste of time for you but it's not for others. How about you think how others interact with sometime rather than give your own biased opinion.
  • Reply 43 of 137
    I am just happy to be a proud owner of iPhone 5. Maps...I have waited many years for turn-by-turn navigation, and now I have it. I don't even need the flyover feature: use too much data and takes too long. If other iPhone users still want Google Maps, you can create add the website to your home page. 2 things I want the most on a Android phone is a offline feature and the "My Places" which allows me to work on the same map across different devices and platforms (I plan my trip on my PC and use the same map on my iPhone). Google Map is still superior, but not essential. I'll wait for these features to come onto my iPhone.
  • Reply 44 of 137
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

How did Apple 1) ever let this guy on the Board, and 2) didn't sue him for using inside information to Google's advantage? The guy makes my skin crawl. 

With that said, Google's map service on IOS sucked. So much so I bought Navigon, which is great for turn by turn direction. For points of interest, I used Bing. Bing's Maps are based on Nokia's much superior mapping software (according to reviewers not just me). 

People are beating up on Apple for Maps, but the issues seem relatively small. I haven't found any issue with them that I haven't found with competing software. 

• Reply 45 of 137

I know many people here hate Schmidt, but that doesn't mean Apple should put the hate above the needs of consumers. Apple used Google search in the 1st place not because they loved Google, but because they wanted consumers to have the best search experience. Maps should be the same. Consumers should be the ones to decide which Maps App is the best, lets approve the Google Maps App, and if everyone wants to download that and replace Apple's Maps App with it? So be it. Give consumers the best experience. 

I mean, today we replace Maps, next day search, next day Pandora, next day Netflix, .... there's a limit to this. 1 single company cannot manage all these and make all these the best of the world. The Apps model was/is a success because it's the collection of the best in the world. 

• Reply 46 of 137
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bemmer View Post

Well, if that's the case then don't use directions or turn by turn. I use street view to see specifically where something is. When in a busy shopping strip not everything has a prominent premise number. Or when travelling its a good way to see specific landmarks. Or see what a hotel location looks like. It may look like a waste of time for you but it's not for others. How about you think how others interact with sometime rather than give your own biased opinion.

Aren't all opinions biased? Otherwise, they would be facts. For me, Street View was nothing more than a novelty. Something fun, but not used very much. Fly over might be the same. 

• Reply 47 of 137
    I guess I was the only one who didn't know that the old maps app had Google Streetview. Haha.

Anyways. I visited Madrid, Spain during this summer and couldn't use my smart phone and was able to get around the city for over three weeks without any problems/issues. I relied on their Metro subway the whole time I guess for being a tourist I was able to figure out a foreign city better than some locals of other cities or Madrid isn't a complex city to navigate.

Mark
  • Reply 48 of 137

Smart move by Apple. First Siri, then Youtube and Maps... Google search is next. I understand the strategy and fully agree. My only complaint is that Apple didn't do it sooner.

What appears to be a flop to the tech press, is really a strategic move by Apple - One that will guarantee its dominance for the next decade.

• Reply 49 of 137
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    tbell wrote: »

Aren't all opinions biased? Otherwise, they would be facts. For me, Street View was nothing more than a novelty. Something fun, but not used very much. Fly over might be the same. 

I would even say that flyover IS the same. I can't imagine using it to figure out where I am or how to get where I'm going. It's a pure novelty.

But, then, I know how to read a map.
    I know many people here hate Schmidt, but that doesn't mean Apple should put the hate above the needs of consumers. Apple used Google search in the 1st place not because they loved Google, but because they wanted consumers to have the best search experience. Maps should be the same. Consumers should be the ones to decide which Maps App is the best, lets approve the Google Maps App, and if everyone wants to download that and replace Apple's Maps App with it? So be it. Give consumers the best experience. 

I mean, today we replace Maps, next day search, next day Pandora, next day Netflix, .... there's a limit to this. 1 single company cannot manage all these and make all these the best of the world. The Apps model was/is a success because it's the collection of the best in the world. 

What was Apple supposed to do? Google would not let them have key features and wanted an extortionate amount of money. Serving their customers meant developing their own app and getting it up to date as quickly as possible (and many people have already reported that some of their complaints have been fixed). Apple would have been crazy to allow Google to control iOS the way Google was trying to do.
  • Reply 50 of 137

You're mistaking third-party apps for built-in apps. Apple replaced a built-in app. Google is free to release a third-party app on the App Store.

Don't believe me?

Look at the current built-in apps: Music, Video, Maps, Clock, Camera, Stocks, etc.

Now look at the App Store. Are there alternatives available?

Here's another example: Apple released iBooks, but still allows the offerings from a competitor in Kindle.

But no, Apple is an evil dictator who's going to take a way all your fun.
  • Reply 51 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Given Google ripped off iOS, most likely thanks the Schmidt abusing his position as a trusted member of the Apple Board of Directors (see Android prior to iOS it was to be a 'real keyboard' rip off of RIM's system, not a touch screen system at all) this is a very understandable move by Apple. If iOS is to have a built in mapping system let it be Apple's own. Why on earth would they allow the biggest back stabbing traitors in the software world a foot hold inside iOS?

Yep. The people out there complaining that Apple should go back to Google maps need to consider that it was Google that turned themselves into a direct competitor of Apple.

Had they kept doing their ads, maps, social networking, video, docs, etc., I don't think there would have been an issue. By copying iOS and making it the 'free' competitor of Apple's core products, they surely couldn't expect Apple to closely integrate their own product long-term.

The new maps look nicer than the Google solution already, the 3d is nice where available, the turn by turn is fairly good (would like an option to make it slightly more chatty like my Navigon, for example), map issues will surely be resolved fairly quickly, and hopefully the public transit piece is integrated by Apple (that's the one piece I think they probably took the wrong approach on).

Rolling out a new mapping system is no small piece of work, but it needed to be done, and staying on Google maps and paying them higher licensing while at the same time having them undercut your business makes no sense. Google is not as a partner anymore, and people will need to get over it.

• Reply 52 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

I am not a fan of Google by any stretch, but I agree with you. Apple should let Google maps on the phone and let us decide what we want to use. Personally, I'm not losing any sleep that Google's maps are missing. I bought the Navigon app at it's "introductory price" a couple of years ago plus I have a Garmin 50lm in my car. Apple's flyover feature is really neat, but not overly useful. The one feature that I do miss from Google, is street view. That is often very useful.

• Reply 53 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Smart move by Apple. First Siri, then Youtube and Maps... Google search is next. I understand the strategy and fully agree. My only complaint is that Apple didn't do it sooner.

What appears to be a flop to the tech press, is really a strategic move by Apple - One that will guarantee its dominance for the next decade.

I agree that search can't be far behind. (A year or two?) And correctly so. Google decided to bite the hand that was feeding them and it doesn't look like that was a smart move. Apple cutting them out of core functions now that they are competitors, on the other hand, is the best move possible.  Nobody would expect them to integrate Samsung's voice solution or Bing + IE either. 

This was Google's call by trying to take over the platform.

• Reply 54 of 137
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bemmer View Post

Really? Because I sure don't see any street view on that... I swear, if I hear one more fanboy just saying to go on the website I really am going to flip. It's a totally different experience and lacks the one feature that most people miss from Apple Maps

Then flip.

Who's fault is it that maps.google.com is "a totally different experience and lacks the one feature that most people miss from Apple Maps"?  If you have a problem with it, take it up with Eric Schmidt.

• Reply 55 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

I agree that search can't be far behind. (A year or two?) And correctly so. Google decided to bite the hand that was feeding them and it doesn't look like that was a smart move. Apple cutting them out of core functions now that they are competitors, on the other hand, is the best move possible.  Nobody would expect them to integrate Samsung's voice solution or Bing + IE either. 

This was Google's call by trying to take over the platform.

Apple just positioned itself to overtake Google in information-retrieval in less than a decade... And people are too blind to see it - People are still arguing that this is about hurting Google. Given the competitiveness of the landscape, you would think people would realize the value this brings to the iOS platform - This is about survival and the platform's future success.

Siri

Maps

Youtube

Up next, Google search

• Reply 56 of 137
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Apple just positioned itself to overtake Google in information-retrieval in less than a decade... And people are too blind to see it - People are still arguing that this is about hurting Google. Given the competitiveness of the landscape, you would think people would realize the value this brings to the iOS platform - This is about survival and the platform's future success.

Agree.

If Google really derives more 4x more income from iOS than Android and Apple's maps take away location-based mobile ads while Siri takes away search-based mobile ads, then this really hurts Google far more than Eric Schmidt seems ready to admit.

• Reply 57 of 137
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Agree.

If Google really derives more 4x more income from iOS than Android and Apple's maps take away location-based mobile ads while Siri takes away search-based mobile ads, then this really hurts Google far more than Eric Schmidt seems ready to admit.

Google is estimated to get just 2% of their revenue this year from iOS device ad searches/delivery.

As it currently stands the impact of even a total banning of all Google products across all iPhones and iPads would hardly be felt. Apple mobile users contribute little to their bottom line at the moment. The way forward is more important and Google better have plans in place on how to include Apple users even if Apple doesn't officially support them.

• Reply 58 of 137

Eric's a little pissed that Apple had the balls to sever ties with his bullshit ad company. 

That happens to do maps. 

If maps were all that consumers cared about, Apple wouldn't have sold over 5 million iPhone 5 units in the first weekend (with more to go toward that number, apparently.)

• Reply 59 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcel655 View Post

Mobile google apps does not give me compass navigation or street view. Even SJ was touting howpeople prefer native apps over web apps, and he was corret. While I'm sure everything is rosy in major us cities, the maps are unusable overseas. The mapping data is of low quality sometime even just black and white, there is no fly over and entire city blocks are missing. While I understand the business reasons as a consumer I expect a first class "it just works" experience from a premium priced product.

I also got no sympathy when a company with a stock pile of cash exceeding that of many countries rams a steaming pile of shit down my throat instead of sucking it up and licensing some first class mapping data. For my personal usage Maps is the only reason I choose a smart phone over a small phone with 3 weeks battery life.

Sad state of affairs that one simple app tarnishes and stops me from upgrading to some sweet new heart ware and my devices to what is a otherwise great os. Also the first time in years that I left the apple store without buying a product I was hell bent on buying. I actually started checking out the android phones but found the hardware offerings to be of low quality. What to do?

First off I use an old chocolate with a new battery and I don't know where you were getting 3 weeks battery life but 1 hour on this pile of shit and the battery is dead. Second go to the Android apple does not need cry babies like you.

• Reply 60 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

Google's response is almost as bad as Apple's decision in the first place. Stop being smarmy, both of you, and get Google maps back on. For the sake of the consumer.

How is Google's response bad in anyway? They couldn't agree on how best to present/use Google's Maps API, and parted ways. It's a business decision. Google has teased Apple a bit in their Moto ads but that's business too.