Inside iOS 6: What's wrong with Apple's new Maps

Comments

• Reply 61 of 117
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member

oops
  • Reply 62 of 117
    success wrote: »
    The main gripe isn't that iMaps is incomplete or that it lacks correct data. It isn't even about Apple not declaring iMaps as a beta when they should have. The swarm of contempt is due to Apple not keeping Google Maps for another year or two while it improves to the point where the majority of users are satisfied with iMaps and/or 3rd party offerings i.e. metro routes. Especially when it now appears there was still a year and a half remaining on their contract with Google. 

Anyway, as you can see Kasper you entered ??060-0062 ??? ??? ??????????2??6??...?You typed the prefecture and city twice (potentially confusing iMaps and/or Google Maps). Also you don't need the postal code since many places in Japan will have the same postal code. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it confuses the mapping system. When I typed the address you used in your screen shot iMaps found the hotel (or at least one hotel). I'm not sure if it was the Sunroute Hotel you were looking for because I couldn't see the rest of your address in your screen shot. But one of the hotels that belongs to that partial address you typed is the Sunroute Hotel. iMaps on my iPad found it without any problems as you can see. It worked with the Japanese name ???????"Sunroute". In your defense I had to try a few different names to find it. It wasn't completely simple and yes searching in English proved to be futile. And yes there are no English street names.

As a side note, I just discovered that grabbing with two fingers and dragging up/down changes the axis which is really cool. Automatically puts it in 3D. Nice. 

p.s. How do I post large pics like above?

LL

LL

I just noticed that local business listings in Japan have increased dramatically from just last month.
  • Reply 63 of 117
    Errors, serious to my mind, can also arise from a dated map base. View the following: 7155 Ladir, Switzerland. Sure, western half of ground view shows winter, eastern half shows summer. Funny perhaps, but more serious the form of some place names (PN). Where a German PN exists, the German form is chosen. This is, however, a practice not followed for about 40 years. Nowadays the Romansh rather than the German forms are the official ones. Depends on ones age whether the German name is still know and visitors do not know those former forms at all. They will search for 'Sevgein' not 'Seewis im Oberland'.
    I can't report this systematic error for Grisons/Graubuenden Canton (trilingual, yes, Italian spoken too). No iPhone 5 available in Switzerland just yet and my oldie 3G still works fine ...
    As to the Dilger article - one of few which rises above the noise of so called 'mapocalyps'. GOOGmaps contain ... errr, well oddities, errors. Map making is a huge task. Keeping them current is a gargantuan one.
  • Reply 64 of 117
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Interesting article. I found the part about car consumption funny though. Planes consume hundred of times more fuel than cars. Even mapping the whole tip of Manhattan by car is probably less fuel consuming and less expensive than doing a single plane pass for flyover.
  • Reply 65 of 117
    richl wrote: »
    Because Google's web Street View is implemented via Adobe Flash, there isn't currently any way to access it from iOS 6.

Oh [URL=http:/2012/09/25/garmin-capitalizes-on-apple-maps-issues-updates-all-of-its-ios-apps-with-google-street-view-transit-directions-3d-imagery/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29]really[/URL]?

Come on, do your research better.

Yes, really. I use ClickToFlash and maps.google.com displays a Flash button after I drag the orange man onto the map.

Devs putting Google SV into an app can do whatever they want. Just like Apple/Google doesn't use Flash, obviously, in the Maps app pre-iOS6 but SV works nonetheless. Which makes for a funny experience, since I don't have Flash installed on my Mac; when I hit a page that requires Flash I simply switch to the iPad.

iPad, the best Flash player in the world.
  • Reply 66 of 117
    Double post.
  • Reply 67 of 117
    Double post
  • Reply 68 of 117
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    My biggest problem with both the old Google Maps and the new Apple Maps is that neither caches enough map data. Both apps seem to have presumed that everyone will always have an Internet connection with free data. The reality is that people drive in places without cellular data service and in places where data roaming is expensive. The cache size should be increased by a factor of about ten i.e. one order of magnitude.
  • Reply 69 of 117
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    mcarling wrote: »
    My biggest problem with both the old Google Maps and the new Apple Maps is that neither caches enough map data. Both apps seem to have presumed that everyone will always have an Internet connection with free data. The reality is that people drive in places without cellular data service and in places where data roaming is expensive. The cache size should be increased by a factor of about ten i.e. one order of magnitude.

I'd go even further. I'd like to see an option to download the maps for an area and keep them in your phone. For example, when I am traveling to Frankfurt (for example), I'd like to have that map on my phone before I go so that I don't have to pay the horrendous international data charges. I have to use a third party option to go that route.
  • Reply 70 of 117
    Gee, a 5 page Apple apologist article (so shocking coming from Dilger.). I'm sorry Dilger, but just because YOU don't want to see the same level of detail that a map from Google provides doesn't mean that everyone wants that. Since all the data is vector based and presumably downloaded at the same time, how about providing the user an option to select the detail level? User choice, what a weird concept.

And it really doesn't matter whether the actual app code has an error or it's the data powering the app, it's still a problem with the app. The app is both the compiled code you download to the phone AND the data that it provides. Trying to split hairs like that is just silly.

I've also noticed that in straight up satellite view, there seem to be a ton of roads that are obstructed by trees. That's something I never noticed on a Google map.

I tried to look up a local business with the new Maps app. It couldn't find it. I went to the Google Maps site and before I even finished typing the business name it had returned a list with the destination at the top. Maybe Apple's version will get to that point someday, but right now the app is a definite downgrade from what it used to be.
  • Reply 71 of 117
    Only DED can call major towns being in the wrong place "relatively insignificant." Presumably the laughable search results are "a minor hiccup"?
  • Reply 72 of 117
    crowley wrote: »
    The UK is just remote islands?

Everyone knows that DED is a hack, but insulting 60 million people is a new low.

When you're a blogger riding on the coat-tails of a successful company little details like that don't matter - hey, I wonder if that's what Apple thinks of major UK towns being in the wrong place on their map - a little detail that doesn't matter?
    Pathetic, brown-nosing, apologist article.

Well said. No number of pretty screenshots can paper over the fact that the new Maps app is unfinished at best. It should clearly be labelled Beta.

I never thought I'd say this because I hate reading it, but can you imagine Steve Jobs letting this junk get released?
  • Reply 73 of 117

Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

…can you imagine Steve Jobs letting this junk get released?

No, and neither can you, because you know absolutely nothing about Jobs or what he would have done.

It can be assumed, however, that he would have absolutely released Maps like this, as Google did the same and went on to become leader in this field. They'll be supplanted in far less time than it took them to get where they are. Not to mention Apple has released products in states of "partial completion" before.

• Reply 74 of 117

Hey jerk off, 

you must be one of those idiots who thinks the sun rises and sets in Cupertino! You need a million word dissertation on why Apple maps suck? Even Steve Woz thinks they suck and Jobs is rolling in his grave. He'd make heads roll if he was still living.

• Reply 75 of 117
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    undefined
  • Reply 76 of 117
    I travel to Los Angeles weekly for business. While there I use the Maps app frequently. Searching for local businesses and getting directions have clearly been superior for me this week using iOS 6 Maps.

There are some subtle changes that are much improved %u2013 real time savers that allow less typing %u2013 a great plus and life saver (potentially) while using a small keyboard in a vehicle. A couple of them%u2026

- selecting recent directions that include 'Current Location' now actually use your Current location rather than the location that was current at the time of the original navigation. A real convenience that saves time and allows for less typing/tapping.

- Typing "Mcd" immediately returned the suggestion "McDonalds", the restaurant, as the first item on the list followed by "Bruce McDonalds" from my Address Book. In prior iOS versions only the address book entries would appear unless there was a recent prior search %u2013 a pain in the rear as you would have to completely type out "McDonalds" and wait for the Map app to search the area. This saves at least 90% of the time needed to find a location.

Happy user :)
  • Reply 77 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Interesting article. I found the part about car consumption funny though. Planes consume hundred of times more fuel than cars. Even mapping the whole tip of Manhattan by car is probably less fuel consuming and less expensive than doing a single plane pass for flyover.

Expect the fact that with most cars, they only hold 2-8 people and a plane can hold up to 400+.  So you have to do a little math and then compare.  Not to mention the fact that most cars drive around with an average 2 passengers at a time(regardless of their capacity)...and not eveyone flies every day.  While most planes fly at mostly full capacity.

• Reply 78 of 117

I've done plenty of whining about iOS 6 maps and I'm just about over with all but 3 key things.

• The geographical boundaries (water edges and lack of detail and accuracy) are hugely simplified (and sometimes non-existent) compared to Google Maps.  And in most cases even if you zoom in really close...somethings appear and some don't.  To me geographical data should be visible at all zoom levels.  And for god's-sake make the boundaries accurate.  They're using vector graphics for crying out loud, there's no excuse for simplifying these things.

• The building outlines can only be viewed largely at a zoom levels that are unusable in most cases.  Meaning you have to zoom in too far to actually see building outlines.  Not to mention the way it denotes types of zoning (i.e. hospital, University, governmental boundaries) are inaccurate as well.

• Transit overlays on top of the maps.  It's great they they at least show transit stops on iOS 6 maps.  But not having the routes overlaid on the maps is a huge annoyance.  I could care less about Siri telling me which train route is the best and time tables.  Just give me the overlaid transit system on the map and I can find my way.  In larger, more complex transit systems...showing the layouts of the stations and exit locations is also a huge advantage Google has over iOS Maps.

Using 3rd Party Apps is totally counter intuitive to the Apple method of design (meaning the one-stop-shop).  If you want us to use 3rd party transit Apps, allow the Dev's to design "Plug-Ins" to the iOS Maps Apps, not the other way around.  If I have to switch to a separate App, It's a FAIL in my book and totally pointless.

Being able to see multiple layers of information in a Mapping App is what made Google Maps so brilliant.

Google had the vision to see maps as more than just for planning a trip from point A to B.  The ability to see all these layers of information allowed for an experience that was so much more than just navigation.  It became a tool for exploration and learning (in Google Earth there were Wikipedia links too).  With Street View you could quite literally tour the world (where available).  There are many more layers of information that made Google maps better (like names of buildings on College Campuses)...but you see my point.

I'd have to say that is really the one reason why I hate iOS Maps.  And I guess I shouldn't really be surprised, because everything in this new App is typical Apple's MO.  Start Small and get better over time with generational improvements.

That said though, I think the problem is that since Google has been at this for nearly 7+ years and is so flooded with data, people are used to that and we can't wait another 7 years for iOS Maps to catch up.  My guess is it won't take another 7 years...perhaps half that, but still that's a long time to wait for Apple to just get ON PAR with Google from now on.

I understand that crowd-sourcing is a necessary evil to improve maps accuracy.  But if you look at my bullet-points above, most of I believe are THE KEY issues with iOS Maps are not something that necessarily needs crowd-sourcing to improve.  Just give me an accurate map with vital info.  Addresses and location accuracy will come.  We all agree even Google still has issues with that.

Also solely relying on Yelp! for location services is a mistake.  They need multiple sources.  If I learned anything in school, it's that you need at least 3 source for all information you present.  You need to cross-reference data for accuracy...triangulation of data if you will.  And Apple dropped the ball on that.  We've seen even now that Apple waived a full year with the Google contract (and valuable development time) just to push this Maps App out.  Hell, all Apple had to do is go to the local visitor's center in any major city and get the free city map to see what the vital info is they need to show.  They depended too much on algorithms to populate data, and that was the wrong approach.

Something needs to happen fast.  Or there will be a lot more articles about the deficiencies of this App.
  • Reply 79 of 117
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    knightlie wrote: »
    Only DED can call major towns being in the wrong place "relatively insignificant." Presumably the laughable search results are "a minor hiccup"?

That's because you are more interested in Apple bashing than a fair comparison.

Let's say that Apple had every single town and POI on the planet correct except for one or two towns - that can easily be fixed. Wouldn't you agree that this is relatively insignificant? After all, 99.99% accuracy in a first attempt is pretty good, especially if it's easy to fix.

More importantly, no one seems to be interested in a factual comparison. Pick 10,000 addresses at random and compare them in Google and Apple Maps. Then see how many are misplaced in one or the other. I really don't know the answer, but if you did that, you would at least have some facts to compare it to. Or find a way to conduct a truly random sampling of 1000 users of Google and/or Apple Maps and ask them to find their home on each to see if one or both are in error. Again, at least you would have some facts.

As it is, people think that it's a disaster because some unknown number of people are screaming about some unknown percentage of problems. And there is absolutely no evidence as to whether the number is greater or less than Google Maps and how large the difference might be.

I really don't care much one way or the other. I rarely use Maps on my phone and I can easily use maps.google.com (or, more likely, mapquest.com) if the Apple Maps doesn't work for me. But it's annoying to see one Apple-bashing 'gate' after another with no facts or critical thinking.
    knightlie wrote: »
    When you're a blogger riding on the coat-tails of a successful company little details like that don't matter - hey, I wonder if that's what Apple thinks of major UK towns being in the wrong place on their map - a little detail that doesn't matter?
    Well said. No number of pretty screenshots can paper over the fact that the new Maps app is unfinished at best. It should clearly be labelled Beta.

Based on what? Your opinion? Where are the facts to support your contention? How many sites are in the wrong location on Apple Maps and how many on Google Maps? What percentage of people have problems with each system?

Without data to back up your claim, you're simply whining about unfounded issues.
  • Reply 80 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I've done plenty of whining about iOS 6 maps and I'm just about over with all but 3 key things.

• The geographical boundaries (water edges and lack of detail and accuracy) are hugely simplified (and sometimes non-existent) compared to Google Maps.  And in most cases even if you zoom in really close...somethings appear and some don't.  To me geographical data should be visible at all zoom levels.  And for god's-sake make the boundaries accurate.  They're using vector graphics for crying out loud, there's no excuse for simplifying these things.

• The building outlines can only be viewed largely at a zoom levels that are unusable in most cases.  Meaning you have to zoom in too far to actually see building outlines.  Not to mention the way it denotes types of zoning (i.e. hospital, University, governmental boundaries) are inaccurate as well.

• Transit overlays on top of the maps.  It's great they they at least show transit stops on iOS 6 maps.  But not having the routes overlaid on the maps is a huge annoyance.  I could care less about Siri telling me which train route is the best and time tables.  Just give me the overlaid transit system on the map and I can find my way.  In larger, more complex transit systems...showing the layouts of the stations and exit locations is also a huge advantage Google has over iOS Maps.

Using 3rd Party Apps is totally counter intuitive to the Apple method of design (meaning the one-stop-shop).  If you want us to use 3rd party transit Apps, allow the Dev's to design "Plug-Ins" to the iOS Maps Apps, not the other way around.  If I have to switch to a separate App, It's a FAIL in my book and totally pointless.

Being able to see multiple layers of information in a Mapping App is what made Google Maps so brilliant.

Google had the vision to see maps as more than just for planning a trip from point A to B.  The ability to see all these layers of information allowed for an experience that was so much more than just navigation.  It became a tool for exploration and learning (in Google Earth there were Wikipedia links too).  With Street View you could quite literally tour the world (where available).  There are many more layers of information that made Google maps better (like names of buildings on College Campuses)...but you see my point.

I'd have to say that is really the one reason why I hate iOS Maps.  And I guess I shouldn't really be surprised, because everything in this new App is typical Apple's MO.  Start Small and get better over time with generational improvements.

That said though, I think the problem is that since Google has been at this for nearly 7+ years and is so flooded with data, people are used to that and we can't wait another 7 years for iOS Maps to catch up.  My guess is it won't take another 7 years...perhaps half that, but still that's a long time to wait for Apple to just get ON PAR with Google from now on.

I understand that crowd-sourcing is a necessary evil to improve maps accuracy.  But if you look at my bullet-points above, most of I believe are THE KEY issues with iOS Maps are not something that necessarily needs crowd-sourcing to improve.  Just give me an accurate map with vital info.  Addresses and location accuracy will come.  We all agree even Google still has issues with that.

Also solely relying on Yelp! for location services is a mistake.  They need multiple sources.  If I learned anything in school, it's that you need at least 3 source for all information you present.  You need to cross-reference data for accuracy...triangulation of data if you will.  And Apple dropped the ball on that.  We've seen even now that Apple waived a full year with the Google contract (and valuable development time) just to push this Maps App out.  Hell, all Apple had to do is go to the local visitor's center in any major city and get the free city map to see what the vital info is they need to show.  They depended too much on algorithms to populate data, and that was the wrong approach.

Something needs to happen fast.  Or there will be a lot more articles about the deficiencies of this App.

Yeah, there will be a lot more articles... but, where it counts, I doubt that few will choose a non-Apple smartphone because of iOS 6 Map deficiencies.

Think of it... There have been articles all over the tech blogs with, likely, 500 valid (non-shill/troll) posters saying iOS 6 maps is a show-stopper.  And, they sold 5,000,000 iP5s in the first weekend... likely 10,000,000 in the first 8 days.   Add to that 25,000,000 iOS 6 (maps) upgrades -- 25% of existing iDevices (even though 3G and earlier are not upgradeable to iOS 6.

So, while of interest to us techies and CPM whores -- iOS 6 map deficiencies is a non-issue for the broader population -- compared to the other advantages of iPhones and iOS 6.