Users report some Lightning connectors get stuck in USB ports

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Does any one remember so many negative things related to a new device?  Wow.

Lets see.

1)  Maps.

2)  Niks and scratches.

3)  Yellow screen.

4)  USB stuck.

5)  Purple hue.

6)  Battery performance.

7)  Light leak.

Can this be a bad sing for Apple?  Does any one remember so many bad stories pertaining to a major release from Apple?

Sure. The new iPad. Bad wifi, yellow screen heat problem, heavy, thicker, battery charging issues, battery draining issues, LTE burning through data issues, non-retina apps looking blurry issues, web pages with non-retina graphics looking awful issues, price compared to Fire (too expensive), bad front facing camera

How do you know how good an Apple product is, by the nit picking issues that come up. If you scratch it with keys, it'll scratch, sometimes USB connectors stick, yellow screen happens EACH YEAR because the first crop of devices are from the factory and the glue needs to evaporate, everyone has been complaining about the battery since the first iPhone.

Basically, this stuff is filler because flash support, folder, multitasking, 3G, LTE, bad camera, no high def video, bad front-facing camera, no front-facing camera MMS, in other words, all the real problems are gone leaving people *looking* for anything bad to say.

• Reply 22 of 43
    I'm usually an Apple supporter and I type this in a room where I'm surrounded by in excess of $10K of Apple equipment. But lately I've been seeing problems with Apple stuff where there used to be none. Part of the "Apple tax" wherein we pay more for Apple stuff is that it's supposed to be the highest quality. So what happens when we keep paying the tax but the quality evaporates? I think anyone experiencing the stuck USB connector problem should indeed be miffed. A $29 cable should not get stuck when $1 cables do not. Otherwise, where did that other $28 go??
  • Reply 23 of 43
    ktappe wrote: »
    Otherwise, where did that other $28 go??
    Into the other 7 million cables that work flawlessly?
  • Reply 24 of 43
    ran into this earlier today. had to give it a good yank to get out of the "brick"... not the brick that came with the phone though.

• Reply 25 of 43
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Stiles View Post

I brought the fused keyboard/cable pair into the Apple Store and the "Genius" just pulled on the cable as hard as he could until the wire ripped out. Real smooth!

Sounds strange for a genius, the correct way to remove anything electrical is by grasping the plug, I am surprised they aren't taught that.

• Reply 26 of 43
    However, if the corresponding indentations on a connector are too deep, the detents may extend into the plug past normal operating limits, essentially locking the plug in place.

According to multiple Apple support forum members who contacted, the company is supposedly aware of the problem and will replace the cables for customers affected by the issue.

I don't know why, but this made me laugh! They'll replace it once it's locked in place...

I immediately thought of a car, then subsequently read the post above. How do you explain it to the Apple genius if you can't get it out of your car. A keyboard is one thing...
  • Reply 27 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Does any one remember so many negative things related to a new device?  Wow.

Lets see.

1)  Maps.

2)  Niks and scratches.

3)  Yellow screen.

4)  USB stuck.

5)  Purple hue.

6)  Battery performance.

7)  Light leak.

Can this be a bad sing for Apple?  Does any one remember so many bad stories pertaining to a major release from Apple?

Ye donna recall the Apple III do ye, laddie?

• Reply 28 of 43
    They didn't use lube.
  • Reply 29 of 43

In other news, sticking your head in the toilet may result in water getting up your nose

• Reply 30 of 43
    postulant wrote: »
    Just saw on CNN there's now an iPhone too thin-gate.

Eating disorder. It binges on data and power, then purges.

Seriously, mine was a little bit tight, BUT THEY ALL ARE WHEN THEY ARE NEW. I'm sure some people are legitimately having problems, but I think the majority just need to plug it and unplug it a few times. It will loosen up, and everything will be okay.

You will eventually get used to inserting something and removing it, and it will feel natural.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    There is nothing below the cutouts on the flip side of the USB cables on number of them I have and they never got stock.

Perhaps the thinner cowl around the rest of the plug is allowing the plug to be pushed farther into the socket and that is part of the problem.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,465member
    actually, my ligthning port got stuck into an USB power adapter (apple!) and it was difficult to remove. It should not happen!
  • Reply 33 of 43
    Seriously, mine was a little bit tight, BUT THEY ALL ARE WHEN THEY ARE NEW. I'm sure some people are legitimately having problems, but I think the majority just need to plug it and unplug it a few times. It will loosen up, and everything will be okay.
    You will eventually get used to inserting something and removing it, and it will feel natural.
    And remember to use the USB socket located on the front of your computer, the one in back is usually only used on your birthday or special occasions...
  • Reply 34 of 43
    jragosta wrote: »
    I think it's less a reflection on Apple than:
    1. Anyone can complain about anything and the Internet makes the complaints widespread even if only 0.0000001% of people are affected.
    2. Complaints about Apple get top billing even when Apple is actually better than average in a particular subject.
    3. The massive numbers of Android shills and Apple haters are desperate so they blow things out of proportion.
    4. Apple's products sell in such huge numbers that the media jumps all over silly things like "there were 10 complaints about xxxxx" without realizing that 10 complaints out of 100 M phones sold is actually a pretty good number.

Why is everything a conspiracy for you? It's very simple, all the attention Apple gets from the media (which every single time someone on here will mention that Samsung wishes they had) will report the good with the bad. Guess what device most of the people in the media have? Who's in a better position to make a small problem seem bigger than it is? A few Apple hating fandroids or those in the media with lots of eyes and ears at their disposal? And judging by the posts on here it seems quite common a problem.
  • Reply 35 of 43

The post about battery drain due to weak signal is the dumbest thing I've read on any forum!  Why would anyone stupid enough to post such an article, I don't know.  Anyone who had ever had a cell phone knows that when the phone has good signal, its battery life would be good and when it has weak signal, it'd drain the battery faster.  To post such an article as a weakness of ANY device is like complaining that you get wet in the shower.

I've used many different phones and found that the iPhone lasts me the longest of all the smart phones that I've ever used.  This includes the EVO 4G, the EPIC 4G, and the iPhone.  The EVO 4G lasts me about 6 hours.  The Epic 4G lasted me 8 hours.  The iPhone lasts me 12 hours.  Under strong signals, the iPhone lasts me a whole day. I go online and on FB a lot when I'm not home, so my web and data usage is pretty high... Not high enough to be capped, but high enough to see how the battery situation is...

My point is that EVERY PHONE suffers when it comes to weak signal.  To pinpoint a single device and act as if it's the ONLY device to suffer from such a universal problem is just plain lazy and irresponsible.

• Reply 36 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Funny just minutes ago my Lightning cable got stuck in my Nissan Leaf, spent a few minutes trying to unplug it without destroying the cable and the plug. Now I am reading this message...

Nissan Leafgate!

• Reply 37 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by netrox View Post

actually, my ligthning port got stuck into an USB power adapter (apple!) and it was difficult to remove. It should not happen!

USB power adapter (apple!)gate!

• Reply 38 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

There is nothing below the cutouts on the flip side of the USB cables ....

Yes there is - the underside of the connector tab inside the socket! 

• Reply 39 of 43

If I understand this correctly, some USB ports were not made robust enough to not permanently lock in a USB cable that is following the USB spec, and this is now being blamed on Apple.

• Reply 40 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcorban View Post

If I understand this correctly, some USB ports were not made robust enough to not permanently lock in a USB cable that is following the USB spec, and this is now being blamed on Apple.

I've just read the mechanical design spec for the USB 'A' receptacle and plug, and the depth of the 2 notches on the bottom-side of the plug is not shown or defined.

http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/ecn1.pdf

However, on page 99 of the spec there is a cross-section drawing showing the top-side of the plug in the mated position with the receptacle. Common sense suggests that the top and bottom detents on the receptacle (which appear identical) should locate into top and bottom notches of similar depth. In that case, Apple's design of 'extra deep' notches on the bottom of their USB plug would indeed appear to be the problem.