NYT: iOS Maps another internet services blunder for Apple

Comments

• Reply 241 of 454
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    jragosta wrote: »
    He said that it wasn't the best experience possible. Big deal. Nothing in computers is the best experience possible as long as someone can see a way to improve it. That's not an admission of failure.
    You overlook the context of the letter -- it is in response to the media reporting that Apple failed. I would say he lied then, because Maps works great for me. I don't personally know anybody who has found issue with it, something you yourself have attested to in this forum. In fact this is one of the best Map Apps I have ever used. But the way you interpret his statement, he is neither lying, as all products can be always improved, nor appologizing, since no product is ever the best. So I say again: Cook publishing this tripe actually fuels Apple's competitors, and denigrates his employees, my opinion and many of those I have read in this forum, including yours. There is nothing wrong with Maps, but now that Apple has said there is, how can anyone argue against it? "Oh, Tim didn't really mean that, he was just trying to placate his idiot customers." Yeah that's so much better.

So lets parse out the rest then.

He then said: "While we're improving Maps, you can try alternatives by downloading map apps from the App Store like Bing, MapQuest and Waze, or use Google or Nokia maps by going to their websites and creating an icon on your home screen to their web app." For all practical purposes he said to the general public and his competitors, try any of these apps which will work better than ours. It is THE premise of his opening paragraph -- "we fell short on this commitment [to deliver the best experience possible]". In this context, to suggest alternatives is to suggest they offer a better experience than Apple's own, which is most certainly not the case.

He ended the whole sorted affair by saying: "we will keep working non-stop until Maps lives up to the same incredibly high standard." By NAMING apps that may provide a better experience, he's re-affirming that Apple's world class app, which is substantially better than those others apps in many respects, is seemingly not as good as those apps and landing the final insult that the list of apps which users may find more useful includes maps.google.com which is one of the worst web app implementations I've ever seen.
  • Reply 242 of 454
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Ahh... you need to train her... him

That's the advice my wife gives her friends about husbands.

• Reply 243 of 454

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Take a course in critical thinking. Nothing in Cook's letter says that they made a mistake, nor does it say that it's not as good as Google's app.

You might want to start by reading the letter for comprehension instead of simply pretending that it says what you want it to say.

You don't have to worry about me, though thank you for your concern.

But do you really think parsing the explicit meaning of Tom Cook's lame apology is going to make a hill-of-beans difference to all the iPhone users who buy their phones at Walmart?

No matter what you infer from Tim Cook's apology letter, and it is far from definitive, the media, and Apple's competitors and detractors, have all spun it the worst possible way.

While I appreciate your position, and would love to believe there is no other way to interpret his words, it is simply not the case. You would therefore be doing all of us who support Apple a great service by illustrating exactly how you have parsed the letter line-by-line, so that we may all benifit by your insight in our efforts to make our collective case.

Otherwise, I see the Maps arguments as finished, point Google, until Google or Apple introduce some new aspect to the discussion in a month or two for further consideration.

I have lots of experience hearing/reading public apologies... And made a few myself as CEO of my company.   IMO, @jragosta is correct in his assessment of Tim's letter -- and you are wrong!

Further, I have seen nothing in any of your posts that indicate you are one of  "us who support Apple" -- other than your claims... which appear hollow when considered with the thrust of your posts.

• Reply 244 of 454

Quote:

Without the software, it wouldn't work at all!  Get real -- Apple has never been a "Hardware only" company -- I have 34 years experience using, buying, reselling, co-developing and programming their products.   The Apple ][ had a built-in (ROM) Assembler/Debugger, Integer BASIC, Hi and Lo-res graphics, TV Typewriter...  All "software" that enabled the "hardware" to do something.  Even the maimframe and mini computers of that day could not match the Apple ][ built-in software.

Applesoft II BASIC can also be added, since it is an Apple-specific enhancement of Microsoft BASIC, in the same way that modern OS X is built on top of the Mach kernel.

I agree that Apple shouldn't be thought of as a hardware only company. Apple understands better than anyone that hardware and software must perfectly complement each other to create the perfect product.

• Reply 245 of 454

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Exactly how far behind is Windows behind Mac OS X?

Wrong question!  Exactly far is Windows behind iOS 6?

• Reply 246 of 454
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I have lots of experience hearing/reading public apologies... And made a few myself as CEO of my company.   IMO, @jragosta is correct in his assessment of Tim's letter -- and you are wrong!
    Fine, I'm willing to concede I am wrong, and hope that I am. But, with all due respect sir, you are obviously no Seve Jobs. I dont know you, or your work as a CEO, but I must assume as much given that you think Tom Cook's letter is appropriate, and sort of fuels my point that it wreaks of the kind of letter a typical CEO writes (again with all due respect to you). And perhaps that's what bothers me, is that it is so unlike Jobs, and more like what I would expect from AT&T and other typical corporations. This is the first real debacle Cook has had to contend with, and perhaps he is the man for the job and it will take some getting used to, but right now it sure doesn't feel that way.

In either case, as jragosta and others are fond of saying -- show me the facts; all I'm asking is to be shown a line by line clarification of this view that Cook's letter does anything but denigrate Apple Maps. I've already given my interpretation above (or more accurately the way it is being reviewed by the general public), so feel free to call me names (as is the usual MO on this forum), since my "critical thinking" doesn't measure up to the criticisms levied against it, but a little clarity might help frame my view of the letter differently, and persuade me otherwise. I KNOW what I think, and illustrated why (right or wrong). I'm not seeing the same clarity from those who feel the opposite. That's all I'm saying.
  • Reply 247 of 454
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Now, you are just being stubborn.  How do you know what changes were made to iOS... say to support the 3 new, more-powerful CPU cores, a larger screen, and more RAM increased performance -- all without reducing battery life.  There are things in iOS 6 that we have yet to see.  There are people playing 2K and 4K videos on an iPad -- that requires very powerful hardware and software support.  

Before you downgrade the iOS changes, I suggest you become an iOS developer and see just what is contained, and what has changed in iOS.
    I guess I'm downgrading it because what was presented to the public as the standout features of iOS 6 are either 'meh' or not really ready for prime time. Maybe if Forstall talked more about what was done to make the new iPhone scream I'd have a better appreciation for it.
  • Reply 248 of 454

It really depends on what your PoV is. With my original query the opposite could be asked if you were talking about servers. MS makes a very comprehensive server OS.
  • Reply 249 of 454

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:

Without the software, it wouldn't work at all!  Get real -- Apple has never been a "Hardware only" company -- I have 34 years experience using, buying, reselling, co-developing and programming their products.   The Apple ][ had a built-in (ROM) Assembler/Debugger, Integer BASIC, Hi and Lo-res graphics, TV Typewriter...  All "software" that enabled the "hardware" to do something.  Even the maimframe and mini computers of that day could not match the Apple ][ built-in software.

Applesoft II BASIC can also be added, since it is an Apple-specific enhancement of Microsoft BASIC, in the same way that modern OS X is built on top of the Mach kernel.

I agree that Apple shouldn't be thought of as a hardware only company. Apple understands better than anyone that hardware and software must perfectly complement each other to create the perfect product.

Exactly... The hardware is the "instruments" and the software is the "musicians"... and, in the case of iOS, Scott Forstall is the conductor.

• Reply 250 of 454
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,223member

IMHO it was a mistake for Cook to mention competitors by name in his letter and to provide user instructions, rather than referring customers to a helpful website. For instance, many iPhone users may have no idea what is meant when he suggests making web app icons. In the opening paragraph he also states the company is doing everything it can to make Maps "better" instead of the best. It's easy to make something better, especially if you're conceding it's not so great to begin with. Just make it a tiny bit better. Now, making something the best is a goal worthy of talking about. Making something only "better" suggests a lack of inspiration and commitment. I know, I know, in the last paragraph he writes about making Maps the best in the world, but the opening paragraph really sets the tone.

• Reply 251 of 454

Find My Phone on an iDevice uses a TomTom backend -- On iCloud it uses a Google backend.

Here is what I think Apple is doing:
    1. getting mobile mapping off of Google ASAP
    2. eventually, migrate all Apple mapping to the new backend
    3. avoid the problems when trying to change everything at once ala MobileMe

I think #1 is most important in that it prevents Google from tracking millions of iDevices and using billions of map requests to refine the Google backend.

I suspect that a statistician could plot the tipping point that results from removing billions of requests from Google and moving them to Apple.

Data... is Da' Man!

When it comes to most things Apple releases I appreciate that they focus on a certain aspect, make it great from the start, then add features and expand from there. But maps are very different, they needed to make this feature reach and compete out of the gate. This is why I've been right from day one about this sort of public backlash.

So why is this different? It's because they aren't creating a new way for users to use maps, but simply replacing a maps app. As I've said constantly, it is brilliant in many ways and potential for being the best overall mapping app in the business but it's also very anemic. They had years so why isn't there a web presence built alongside and ready for Sept 19th, 2012? Why did they wait so long to get into mapping? It's no one's fault but Apple that they trusted Google/Schmidt. Note that Schmidt stepped down the beginning of August 2009 and by the end of September 2009 Apple had bought PlaceBase.

If there is anything to learn hear is that Apple does learn from its mistakes (which they've shown time and time again).
  • Reply 252 of 454

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Now, making something the best is a goal worthy of talking about. Making something only "better" suggests a lack of inspiration and commitment. I know, I know, in the last paragraph he writes about making Maps the best in the world, but the opening paragraph really sets the tone.

That's only because people are so used to Apple making everything the 'best'. In the end, the world is too big, nobody can make everything the 'best'. That's just the reality. 

Apple is losing focus by trying to get on way too many projects and try to do well in all of them, while Google and other companies are cutting projects and focus on fewer ones. The world is flat a long time ago, let's not roll back to the old ages, and remember the Apps from all over the world is what make iOS great, not because of all these little projects Apple is trying to do to make the home screen more 'integrated'. 

• Reply 253 of 454

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

It really depends on what your PoV is. With my original query the opposite could be asked if you were talking about servers. MS makes a very comprehensive server OS.

Joke mon... Though... Come the A7 or A8... iOS will likely be running some servers, like a home server, or SMB server with Thunderbolt HDDs.  Think of something about the size of an AppleTV (used alone, or in multiples). I Suspect this would an excellent fit for small video editing shops...  By that time, FCP X will, likely, be running on iPads 

• Reply 254 of 454
    That's only because people are so used to Apple making everything the 'best'. In the end, the world is too big, nobody can make everything the 'best'. That's just the reality. 

Apple is losing focus by trying to get on way too many projects and try to do well in all of them, while Google and other companies are cutting projects and focus on fewer ones. The world is flat a long time ago, let's not roll back to the old ages, and remember the Apps from all over the world is what make iOS great, not because of all these little projects Apple is trying to do to make the home screen more 'integrated'. 

1) Regardless of how many projects you have you should try to do well in all of them.

2) How is Apple losing focus? There PMPs, smartphones, tablets, PCs, HW, OSes, SW, services, and ecosystem are all still better than everyone else.

3) Apple has over 60k employees. They can hire more people as needed. I think Apple should have invested more into mapping but for a 3 year investment between the first purchase and the first release Maps in iOS 6 is pretty damn, it's just not nearly as good as others that have been in the business a lot longer. They are a neophyte for sure but nothing in any area of their business shows they are losing focus. In fact, I'd argue they getting better at focusing.

4) I've been saying for months that Apple should have sat on Apple Maps for another year. Based on the recent information that contract would have ended before the year was up and other failings from Google protecting its own I recant that and say Apple made the best choice of a bad situation.
  • Reply 255 of 454
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Fine, I'm willing to concede I am wrong, and hope that I am. But, with all due respect sir, you are obviously no Seve Jobs. I dont know you, or your work as a CEO, but I must assume as much given that you think Tom Cook's letter is appropriate, and sort of fuels my point that it wreaks of the kind of letter a typical CEO writes (again with all due respect to you). And perhaps that's what bothers me, is that it is so unlike Jobs, and more like what I would expect from AT&T and other typical corporations. This is the first real debacle Cook has had to contend with, and perhaps he is the man for the job and it will take some getting used to, but right now it sure doesn't feel that way.

That is nonsense. The letter was appropriate. Whether you want to compare him to another CEO is irrelevant.

Just curious - how many years experience do you have as a CEO that makes you think you're such an expert?
    You overlook the context of the letter -- it is in response to the media reporting that Apple failed..

I didn't overlook anything. My analysis is still valid.

If it hadn't been for the media froth-fest, it wouldn't have been necessary, but that's it.
    You don't have to worry about me, though thank you for your concern.
    But do you really think parsing the explicit meaning of Tom Cook's lame apology is going to make a hill-of-beans difference to all the iPhone users who buy their phones at Walmart?
    No matter what you infer from Tim Cook's apology letter, and it is far from definitive, the media, and Apple's competitors and detractors, have all spun it the worst possible way.

And the iphone user who buys their phone at Walmart isn't going to even know about that letter.

The people who are spinning the letter in a negative way were already attacking Apple in every possible way. But now they're fighting over whether Cool should have written the letter and whether it's apologetic enough or too apologetic instead of spewing more FUD about the phone. That's a fair trade any day.
  • Reply 256 of 454
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    cpsro wrote: »
    IMHO it was a mistake for Cook to mention competitors by name in his letter and to provide user instructions, rather than referring customers to a helpful website.

That is a legitimate comment. I don't agree 100%, though. Many of the apps he mentioned by name actually work in cooperation with Apple's Maps. He almost had to mention Google because people were whining that they had lost Google. Saying "it's still there if you really want it" defuses that argument. If he hadn't mentioned apps by name, it sounds evasive and weak.
    cpsro wrote: »
    For instance, many iPhone users may have no idea what is meant when he suggests making web app icons. In the opening paragraph he also states the company is doing everything it can to make Maps "better" instead of the best. It's easy to make something better, especially if you're conceding it's not so great to begin with. Just make it a tiny bit better. Now, making something the best is a goal worthy of talking about. Making something only "better" suggests a lack of inspiration and commitment. I know, I know, in the last paragraph he writes about making Maps the best in the world, but the opening paragraph really sets the tone.

Except for one thing. Read the first paragraph where he says that their goal is to make the best user experience possible. I'm sure he thought the words through carefully and got feedback from all of his advisors. I'm not 100% sure why he chose the exact wording he did, but I can speculate. If he had said "we're going to make it the best", it sounds like hype and vaporware and the kind of meaningless promises that the competition makes. If he says "we're making it better and here's how we're going to do that", the customer can accept that as true. Then, they consider that just about everything else Apple has done was truly exceptional and conclude that Apple will eventually make this exceptional, as well.
  • Reply 257 of 454

Quote:

Apple could have explained the problem with something like:  

"We wanted to bring the best and most up-to-date mapping services to our iOS customers.  Unfortunately, we were unable to negotiate an agreement with Google to provide those services... so we decided to built a new mapping service from the ground up.  We are late to the game, but we will work to provide the best solution to our customers!"

This is a statement of fact -- not a blame game or pissing contest.  However, the observer can "read between the lines", do a little research, surmise what happened, and assign any blame as they see fit.

Had they done it this way, likely, half of the bloggers/journalists would have taken Apple's side and made Tim's apology unnecessary.

Finally, All this bad publicity and Tim's apology -- is still publicity.

Apple has accepted the challenge in the public forum -- now, all they need do is "perform" and fix the problems.   Once they do that, they will have a net gain from the publicity...  one step back, then a leap forward for Apple.

In the end it is all about properly managing expectations

• Reply 258 of 454
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,223member

@jragosta: to summarize, IMHO, Cook's letter was not well-crafted. (even the provided instructions seem terse and out of place or rushed).

• Reply 259 of 454

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Quote:

In either case, as jragosta and others are fond of saying -- show me the facts; all I'm asking is to be shown a line by line clarification of this view that Cook's letter does anything but denigrate Apple Maps. I've already given my interpretation above (or more accurately the way it is being reviewed by the general public), so feel free to call me names (as is the usual MO on this forum), since my "critical thinking" doesn't measure up to the criticisms levied against it, but a little clarity might help frame my view of the letter differently, and persuade me otherwise. I KNOW what I think, and illustrated why (right or wrong). I'm not seeing the same clarity from those who feel the opposite. That's all I'm saying.

Debacle is too strong a word, IMO... Apple screwed up in how the presented the Maps app at introduction... It is taking its first baby steps, but has excellent genes and potential

Tim is unlike Jobs -- and it would be a big mistake for Tim to try to act like Jobs...  Steve chose Tim because of who Tim was -- not because Tim approximated who Steve was.

I do not see anything in Tim's letter that denigrates Apple Maps.

I do not believe we have enough time or data to know how Tim's statement is being reviewed by the general  public -- anecdotal reports go both ways.

Here is Tim's letter.  Show me the parts you find offensive, coporate-speak or misleading.   How would you have done it?

Quote:

To our customers,

At Apple, we strive to make world-class products that deliver the best experience possible to our customers. With the launch of our new Maps last week, we fell short on this commitment. We are extremely sorry for the frustration this has caused our customers and we are doing everything we can to make Maps better.

We launched Maps initially with the first version of iOS. As time progressed, we wanted to provide our customers with even better Maps including features such as turn-by-turn directions, voice integration, Flyover and vector-based maps. In order to do this, we had to create a new version of Maps from the ground up.

There are already more than 100 million iOS devices using the new Apple Maps, with more and more joining us every day. In just over a week, iOS users with the new Maps have already searched for nearly half a billion locations. The more our customers use our Maps the better it will get and we greatly appreciate all of the feedback we have received from you.

While we're improving Maps, you can try alternatives by downloading map apps from the App Store like Bing, MapQuest and Waze, or use Google or Nokia maps by going to their websites and creating an icon on your home screen to their web app.

Everything we do at Apple is aimed at making our products the best in the world. We know that you expect that from us, and we will keep working non-stop until Maps lives up to the same incredibly high standard. 

Tim Cook 

Apple's CEO 

Here's how I read it.  This is not an attempt to put words in Tim's mouth -- rather to show how I interpret what Tim is saying to me:

Quote:

To our customers, (to those who are important to us -- not the press or the bloggers)

At Apple, we strive to make world-class products that deliver the best experience possible to our customers. With the launch of our new Maps last week, we fell short on this commitment (we failed to deliver the best experience possible). We are extremely sorry for the frustration this has caused our customers (we apologize for the effect not the product nor the attempted solution) and we are doing everything we can to make Maps better (we are doing everything we can to make Maps better -- to fix the effect).

We launched Maps initially with the first version of iOS. As time progressed, we wanted to provide our customers with even better Maps including features such as turn-by-turn directions, voice integration, Flyover and vector-based maps. In order to do this, we had to create a new version of Maps from the ground up.(Without assigning blame, we are taking responsibility for a new app that will provide the features that you, our customers, want).

There are already more than 100 million iOS devices using the new Apple Maps, with more and more joining us every day. In just over a week, iOS users with the new Maps have already searched for nearly half a billion locations. (It seems that the Apple maps app is already acceptable to millions of users) The more our customers use our Maps the better it will get and we greatly appreciate all of the feedback we have received from you (we now have the ability to improve the experience based on usage and customer feedback -- we never had that capability before).

While we're improving Maps, you can try alternatives by downloading map apps from the App Store like Bing, MapQuest and Waze, or use Google or Nokia maps by going to their websites and creating an icon on your home screen to their web app (here are some alternative solutions that you can use until the Apple maps app meets your needs and expectations).

Everything we do at Apple is aimed at making our products the best in the world. We know that you expect that from us, and we will keep working non-stop until Maps lives up to the same incredibly high standard. (We know what you expect of us and we are committed to make Apple maps meet your expectations).

Tim Cook 

Apple's CEO 

• Reply 260 of 454
    I've seen a lot of anecdotal reports about Apple's map quality. This is frustrating, since there's inconsistency in what one person tests vs another.

I did find [URL=http://www.mtonic.com/applemaps/]one attempt to quantify the accuracy of Apple's geocoder using city names in Ontario, Canada[/URL]. The results aren't good: Apple returned correct data only 20% of the time. Certainly, there is much more to a map than the geocoder, but this is a pretty bad first start for Apple.