NYT: iOS Maps another internet services blunder for Apple

Comments

• Reply 181 of 454

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

"It just works" would not be possible without the software to make it happen!

To me, "It just works" is never the biggest selling point. The biggest selling point to me is the Apps, Apps that can't be found in other platforms that enable me to do extra stuffs. iDevices still get frozen, still get wifi issues, GPS issues etc just like other devices, maybe less frequently but still frequent enough for me to not think they 'just works'. 

• Reply 182 of 454
    hypoluxa wrote: »
    So far using Maps in my area seems to be ok when I looked for things. It pinned them correctly. But we'll see I suppose the more I use to see how it performs. It can only go up from here with future updates. 

Same for me. I only noticed one totally wrong thing in my neighborhood with a shop pinned to the wrong side of the street. Everything else was things like one pin location for everything in a mini mall, pinning the south side parking lot not the north side actual building. Annoying but not tragic.

The real trouble is the hyping up of stuff like that park in Ireland being labeled an Airport because it is called Airpark Park. But really, use some sense. If someone is flying a plane and doesn't know where the airports are the real reason is how they got a license in the first place. That is the kind of thing a pilot should know before they take off. Not wait until they need it and then they are dumb enough to grab a neophyte consumer mapping service for guidance. I hope no pilot is that dumb
  • Reply 183 of 454

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

People should probably read this web page in its entirety before arguing about Google Maps one way or the other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Maps

It takes a lot of work to put together a mapping service and Apple just hasn't put in the time yet. If only Tim or Scott had presented Apple Maps in the context of Google was trying to stick it to us and we had no other choice but to start from scratch and build a map solution of our own to be able to offer free turn by turn to our users. Apple Maps is still a work in progress and we need your help to make it better. If you find an error please use the 'report a problem' button and together we will make Apple Maps as good or better than any other map service out there.

But no, they had to get up on the stage and proclaim it was the most powerful and most elegant mapping solution the world has ever known. That was the blunder, not releasing it unfinished, just the hubris of claiming it was already the best.

Yep!  Sometimes we like our angels with a little dirt on their wings or their halos a bit askew.

• Reply 184 of 454
    To me, "It just works" is never the biggest selling point. The biggest selling point to me is the Apps, Apps that can't be found in other platforms that enable me to do extra stuffs. iDevices still get frozen, still get wifi issues, GPS issues etc just like other devices, maybe less frequently but still frequent enough for me to not think they 'just works'. 

Liar. It's Apple. It is supposed to be perfect all the time.

And we all know people are buying this phone for the Maps and no other reason. Just like they all got the 4sfor Siri. Apple should give us all our money back and free phones. This is an outrage

(did that sound about right?)
  • Reply 185 of 454
    isheldon wrote: »
    Maps will never be fixed until it gets a built-in street view. We'd been spoiled.

You better return that phone now because Street View is protected IP of Google and thus will never be 'built in' as they don't license it to those using other map data.
  • Reply 186 of 454
    nickuk wrote: »
    So, NYT...

LL

...did you also check Google Maps? It's no better.

What is the legal address for the Monument. That is likely how the pin was assigned. Not the gps of the Monument.

The bus stop? Who knows on that one?
  • Reply 187 of 454
    muppetry wrote: »
    ..., but if the counter-argument, that Google's data also has plenty of errors, is correct, then there should be ample evidence in the form of examples that iOS gets correct and Google gets wrong. I haven't found any such cases in my area, and I've looked quite extensively so that I could report errors in the iOS maps, but others may have excellent examples where iOS maps are better. I'd like to hear about those for balance.

The first test I did with maps was my home adres in the Netherlands: bingo, correct street name and very up to date aerial photo's.
    But Google maps has a completely outdated photo that's 5 years old and an incorrect (and annoying) street name.
    So, from this mini statistics I can conclude that Apple maps is 100% all the time while Google maps is 0% right and 100% crap.
    But seriously if you read through the posts you will find several examples of mistakes in Google maps. And I can assure you, lots and lots of other mistakes nobody knows right now will be found in Google maps.

J.
  • Reply 189 of 454
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

You better return that phone now because Street View is protected IP of Google and thus will never be 'built in' as they don't license it to those using other map data.

Not true. Garmin's iOS navigation and mapping app is offering Google's Streetview right alongside Navteq/Nokia licensed maps.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-57520066-233/garmin-adds-street-view-public-transit-to-its-other-ios-apps/

• Reply 190 of 454

The more I explore Apple Maps, the more I like it.  This first 1.0 release already beats Google Maps even with it's flaws.

1.  Vector based maps.

2.  FlyOver

3.  Turn-by-turn direction.

4.  Point of interest Info, Reviews, Photos

5.  Siri integration.

If you honestly explore these things on the new iPad or the new iPhone the superiority is so obvious.

I can wait for Bus, Train, Subway, Bike, Walking, Boat, Underwater/Submarine routes to be integrated world wide.

No single company can provide all this information for the entire world so many 3rd parties will do the job.

Not to mention information like demographic, political, financial, crime etc that will be provided by third party.

It a whole new gold rush folks.  Apple has reinvented portable mapping...

If Google is smart, they will embrace and extend Apple Maps by developing 3rd party layers for Apple Maps that will make use of Google Backend Data because the Apple architecture is much better.  You will soon see a booming Apple Maps add-on layer market from 3rd parties all over the world.  Does Google wants to stand by and let others take that market on Apple Maps when it already has valuable data?

Check out this demo of PolicyMaps, which is based on PlaceBase; a company that Apple purchased years ago to integrate in Apple Maps.

http://www.policymap.com/demo.html

Time will tell.

• Reply 191 of 454
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    With Apple, since the Apple ][ it has always been the "software" that sets Apple "hardware" apart from the others.

In earlier machines or peripherals *  much of the "software" was in the ROMS, PROMS and EPROMS.  This has evolved to where most of the "software" is in the OS and apps.  

* the Integrated Woz Machine on the Apple Disk ][ and the Mac

As "services" become more-integrated into the OS, they and their supporting "software", essentially, become part of the "hardware".

"It just works" would not be possible without the software to make it happen!
    Problem is it doesn't always "just work". Maps is case in point. iTunes Match and iCloud don't always "just work".
  • Reply 192 of 454
    charlituna wrote: »

Apple will make it better as Tim promised.
  • Reply 193 of 454
    Kind of hard to use a political analogy when the consequences of it haven't even been decided yet.

Then "Jump the Shark" for those with no foresight.
  • Reply 194 of 454

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I agree they should have called it beta software but leave the Google politics out of it.

But unfortunately that was the reason and I think everyone should know that. Politics or not, Google forced Apple's hand. For the public to understand the rational for releasing an unfinished service you really can't sweep the main issue under the rug.

Apple could have explained the problem with something like:  

"We wanted to bring the best and most up-to-date mapping services to our iOS customers.  Unfortunately, we were unable to negotiate an agreement with Google to provide those services... so we decided to built a new mapping service from the ground up.  We are late to the game, but we will work to provide the best solution to our customers!"

This is a statement of fact -- not a blame game or pissing contest.  However, the observer can "read between the lines", do a little research, surmise what happened, and assign any blame as they see fit.

Had they done it this way, likely, half of the bloggers/journalists would have taken Apple's side and made Tim's apology unnecessary.

Finally, All this bad publicity and Tim's apology -- is still publicity.

Apple has accepted the challenge in the public forum -- now, all they need do is "perform" and fix the problems.   Once they do that, they will have a net gain from the publicity...  one step back, then a leap forward for Apple.

• Reply 195 of 454
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    charlituna wrote: »
    If people need street view that bad there is an app for it. I just used it the other day. No it's not integrated the way street view was in the previous maps app but its there. I find t hard to believe lack of integrated street view renders the iPhone useless.
  • Reply 196 of 454
    QC is lacking, and is underappreciated at Apple now.

Yeah cause Steve wasn't behind Mobile Me, the iPhone 4 antenna design flaw, Siri, Final Cut X.

Seriously you are the one that needs to get a clue about how tech releases work in reality.
  • Reply 197 of 454

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Then "Jump the Shark" for those with no foresight.

Kind of hard to use that analogy, which is the same intent with different words, when the consequences of this action haven't been shown yet.

• Reply 198 of 454
    ]
    anonymouse wrote: »
    Even if they did release a web version, it would probably be an iCloud feature, which means iOS & OS X users only.

iCloud.com works just fine on a PC
  • Reply 199 of 454

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Excellent suggestion!

They could include features such as "Find My Frinds" and "Find My Phone".

Find my iPhone is already available on the web. When you log into your account at iCloud.com

Yes, but Google, currently, provides the backend for the iCloud website.

• Reply 200 of 454
    I haven't had any problems with Apple Maps. Though one time it did suggest a U-Turn instead of a left turn then another left turn, either way would have worked, but the U-Turn should have been the second choice.

I'm quite certain that Apple Maps is far better than any other Mapping service was in their first week. It's certainly better written and has far more data then any other mapping service did in it's infancy. I suppose that there may be less than 0.1% errors (a significant amount) in the data, but it's so likely that this will all be fixed quickly.