iCloud glitch offers users 25GB of storage space until 2050

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In what appears to be an internal error with Apple's iCloud management system, a number of users are seeing their accounts credited with 25GB of storage space, with the next renewal date coming up 38 years from now.

iCloud Glitch

The apparent glitch, first spotted by TUAW, comes on the day Apple was expected to drop the amount of storage granted to former MobileMe members down to the 5GB limit currently offered to iCloud users.

In May, Apple announced it would be giving MobileMe subscribers 20GB of free iCloud storage as the company transitioned into the new service, planning to end the offer on Sept. 30. The extension aimed to give paying MobileMe users extra time to transfer files off Apple's servers and adapt to the new cloud-syncing service.

Instead of cutting off the 20GB of extra cloud space, however, it seems a glitch or coding error allowed the 25GB limit not only to remain in place, but extended the free offer for another 38 years. Also affected were iCloud users who never signed up for MobileMe, as their account profiles received a 20GB bump in storage.

It is not clear whether the changes actually grant iCloud users the quoted amount of extra storage, or if the error is merely reflected in a user's account profile, though it is expected that Apple will quickly correct the situation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    I noticed that earlier today when I went to ponder how much storage I needed.

Guess I don't have to worry about it.

Heh.

• Reply 1 of 67
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,199member
    2050? That's fine.
  • Reply 3 of 67
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I never understood what I was supposed to do with all this extra storage space for a limited time anyway. Wasn't I supposed to be getting my crap OFF Apple's servers?

Giving me more, seemed to encourage me to put more stuff than I had on MobileMe to begin with ... What's up with that?
  • Reply 4 of 67
    And that's what it should be. I purchased MobileMe, I paid for the yearly renewal a month before iCloud was announced. Apple gave me additional storage space to make up for it, and it should stay that way.
  • Reply 5 of 67
    mugwump wrote: »
    And that's what it should be. I purchased MobileMe, I paid for the yearly renewal a month before iCloud was announced. Apple gave me additional storage space to make up for it, and it should stay that way.

Could you clarify your argument as to why Apple should offer you more data than everyone else for 38 years simply because you paid for a different service previously? Did they lie to you about what services or what duration the MobileMe services were? Did they not give you a year+ of additional MobileMe service for what you willingly chose to pay for?
  • Reply 6 of 67
    Maybe it's intentional- like a free bumper?
  • Reply 7 of 67
    2050, I'll be dead by then... But thanks Apple.
  • Reply 8 of 67
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

That explains the 25 GB - I had been wondering how that happened. Anyway - presumably Apple will fix the expiration dates - there is no reason why they cannot downgrade customers to 5 GB as originally intended just because it currently shows 9/30/50 as the end date.

• Reply 9 of 67
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Could clarify your argument as to why Apple should offer you more data than everyone else for 38 years simply because you paid for a different service previously? Did they lie to you about what services or what duration the MobileMe services were? Did they not give you a year+ of additional MobileMe service for what you willingly chose to pay for?

It's this pathetic self-entitlement bullshit. It's why there's always those frothing at the mouth whenever Apple changes anything, because the device they bought last decade might become incompatible with the newest shit, or when it might not support all the features of the lastest software update, or when the the price drops, or the service they signed up for gets new features, etc etc. Unreasonable, childish, whiny, entitlement based on nothing but irrational demands.

• Reply 10 of 67
    2050 is true. Confirmed by Apple support.

by Abro http://blog.livedoor.jp/applebrothers/archives/52293865.html
  • Reply 11 of 67
    Guessing this will net us an additional 4 months. January 31, 2013

They won't make it retro, because people will cry foul, saying they would have downgraded, so they will throw us a bone. I'd say 90 days, but that is year end, and the holidays, so they will not want to have it go into effect then.
  • Reply 12 of 67

Would love free storage. 5GB seems to little to back up devices. Fingers crossed. Saying that Apple press will say "It comes with 5GB for free". Its like that lightening  to 30pin connector fiasco.

• Reply 13 of 67
    Yep, 20GB expires on 30/09/50. Just checked mine. Long time @mac.com user here.
  • Reply 14 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthewbissell View Post

Would love free storage. 5GB seems to little to back up devices. Fingers crossed. Saying that Apple press will say "It comes with 5GB for free". Its like that lightening  to 30pin connector fiasco.

Just to update. I am too a mobileme user

• Reply 15 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by mugwump View Post

Same here. My iCloud has *always* said 25 GB. Which is probably not warranted since I last paid for MM in 2009 (I think?) but who's complaining?

• Reply 16 of 67

1) How much do you use now? I have 3 iDevices backed up plus whatever my Mac uses and I am only using 2GB. I do with they'd up the amount considerably because I don't think it will make a difference in usage but could make a difference in perception, but that's a different issue.

2) What Lighting/30-pin connector fiasco?
  • Reply 17 of 67

It's Apple's conciliatory gift in light of the iOS Maps affair.

;)

• Reply 18 of 67

AAAHHHHHHHH! CloudGate!!!

• Reply 19 of 67
    I currently have 4 devices and a 5th coming sometime this month that backups to my iCloud. I found that my iPhone backup was taking up at lot of space with pictures. I deleted the pictures because they are stored on my mac and have ended up with about 1GB of storage space used. So I now believe that 5GB is enough space for most users.

When iPhone 5 were preordered, they suggested that a lightening to 30pin connector allowing the phone to be connected to a 30pin dock for example. This turned out to be untrue. They didn't honour it and maybe they won't honour this one as well.
  • Reply 20 of 67
    I currently have 4 devices and a 5th coming sometime this month that backups to my iCloud. I found that my iPhone backup was taking up at lot of space with pictures. I deleted the pictures because they are stored on my mac and have ended up with about 1GB of storage space used. So I now believe that 5GB is enough space for most users.
    When iPhone 5 were preordered, they suggested that a lightening to 30pin connector allowing the phone to be connected to a 30pin dock for example. This turned out to be untrue. They didn't honour it and maybe they won't honour this one as well.

They said that an lightening connector will be in the box but they didn't honour it.