'iPad mini' mockup compared to Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD

Posted:
in iPad edited April 2014
A mockup of a 7.85-inch iPad has been photographed next to a Google Nexus 7 and 7-inch Kindle Fire HD, giving a better idea of what Apple's new, smaller tablet is expected to look like.

Mini


The images published on Monday by Nowhereelse.fr show that the so-called "iPad mini" is noticeably thinner than the Nexus 7. When laid out next to the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HD, it's also shown to be slightly taller than those smaller devices.

The latest images posted Monday also show that the dummy iPad mini has a thickness of 7.69 millimeters. That's even thinner than the new iPad with Retina display, which is 9.91 millimeters thick.

Mini


The device was also measured at 13.5 centimeters wide, or 5.3 inches, wide, and 20 centimeters, or 7.87 inches, tall. In comparison, the full-size iPad is 9.5 inches tall and 7.31 inches wide.

The device is expected to have a 7.85-inch display that will run at a resolution of 1,024 by 768 pixels. That's the same resolution as the currently available iPad 2, which would allow applications to run natively on the device without modification or letterboxing, such as with legacy applications on the taller 4-inch display of the iPhone 5.

Mini


Dummy mockups of the anticipated iPad mini have appeared online numerous times in recent weeks. Just last week, a new video showed a Wi-Fi-only iPad mini mockup.

The dummy iPad mini was also compared to Apple's full-size model, as well as an iPhone a few weeks ago. The iPad mini mockups have been available for sale in China for around $13.

Apple is expected to hold an event to unveil the iPad mini this month. One report issued earlier Monday suggested that invitations to the media could be sent out on Oct. 10, which would hint at an Oct. 17 event date and product launch as soon as Friday, Oct. 26.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 36
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member


    So both a 16:9 AND a 3:4 model, huh? 


     


    You were expecting me to say "'Dummy' is right", right? image

  • Reply 2 of 36
    Think of all the things you can do with an iPad Mini mockup:
    1. Take pictures and post them on rumor sites
    2. Take pictures comparing the mockup next to real products and post articles about it
    3. Measure the mockup and publish specs for a product that doesn't officially exist yet
  • Reply 3 of 36
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    So both a 16:9 AND a 3:4 model, huh? 

    You were expecting me to say "'Dummy' is right", right? :lol:

    Yes. Why would anyone ever want 16:9? Right?
  • Reply 4 of 36
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member


    That picture doesn't make any sense.


     


    Both the Kindle Fire HD and Nexus 7 are 16:9. The Kindle Fire HD looks much wider than the Nexus 7 even though they share the same screen ratio, but that's probably due to the huge, ridiculous Bezel on the Fire HD.


     


    The iPad mini in that picture also looks to be 16:9, but how can that be, when the resolution is supposedly 1024x768, which is the same as the iPad 1 + 2, which we all know to be 4:3? That makes no sense at all. Would Apple really fragment the iPad further, by introducing a 16:9 iPad Mini? I see that as unlikely. 


     


    I guess that iPhone 5 optimized apps would work fine on a 16:9 iPad mini at least. image

  • Reply 5 of 36
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    So both a 16:9 AND a 3:4 model, huh? 


     


    You were expecting me to say "'Dummy' is right", right? image



    Right?  Right.  I agree, right?  Okay; Right.  Fine, okay, ok right!

  • Reply 6 of 36
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    That picture doesn't make any sense.


     


    Both the Kindle Fire HD and Nexus 7 are 16:9. The Kindle Fire HD looks much wider than the Nexus 7 even though they share the same screen ratio, but that's probably due to the huge, ridiculous Bezel on the Fire HD.


     


    The iPad mini in that picture also looks to be 16:9, but how can that be, when the resolution is supposedly 1024x768, which is the same as the iPad 1 + 2, which we all know to be 4:3? That makes no sense at all. Would Apple really fragment the iPad further, by introducing a 16:9 iPad Mini? I see that as unlikely. 


     


    I guess that iPhone 5 optimized apps would work fine on a 16:9 iPad mini at least. image





     


    Did you miss the weeks of speculation that the iPad mini would have very thin side bezels, allowing its hardware to maintain the overall narrow width of 7" tabs but with the same 4:3 screen ratio as the iPad?

  • Reply 7 of 36
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member


    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

    Did you miss the weeks of speculation that the iPad mini would have very thin side bezels, allowing its hardware to maintain the overall narrow width of 7" tabs but with the same 4:3 screen ratio as the iPad?


     


    Yeah, but we've seen two wholly different shapes in the mockups.

  • Reply 8 of 36
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post




     


    Did you miss the weeks of speculation that the iPad mini would have very thin side bezels, allowing its hardware to maintain the overall narrow width of 7" tabs but with the same 4:3 screen ratio as the iPad?



    I guess that I did miss that.


     


    If the side bezels are very thin, then the top and bottom has to be huge, wouldn't it? How else can they fit a 4:3 screen in that 16:9 enclosure? And why would somebody put a 4:3 screen in a 16:9 enclosure? That sounds very un-Apple like.

  • Reply 9 of 36
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Seems to me like Apple is moving away from 4:3, seeing how the iPhone 5 as well as the new iPod touch are both 16:9. Make more sense for the mini to continue that and be 16:9 as well.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,607member
    Just wish the screen rez were higher. 1024x768 seems antiquated compared to the new 7"/8.9" competition.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post



    Seems to me like Apple is moving away from 4:3, seeing how the iPhone 5 as well as the new iPod touch are both 16:9. Make more sense for the mini to continue that and be 16:9 as well.


    Then the iPad mini will be more like a large iPhone instead of an iPad.


     


    In that case, Apple should just call it the iPhone big or iPod Touch large, instead of iPad mini.

  • Reply 12 of 36
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    I guess that I did miss that.


     


    If the side bezels are very thin, then the top and bottom has to be huge, wouldn't it? How else can they fit a 4:3 screen in that 16:9 enclosure? And why would somebody put a 4:3 screen in a 16:9 enclosure? That sounds very un-Apple like.



     


    The earlier picture of the mockup.


     



     


     


    In comparison to the iPad


     



     


     


    The Kindle Fire does have a fairly fat bezel.


     


  • Reply 13 of 36
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nht View Post


     


    The earlier picture of the mockup.


     



     


    Yes, that earlier mockup is 4:3, which is completely different than the new mockup, which is 16:9. 

  • Reply 14 of 36
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post



    Just wish the screen rez were higher. 1024x768 seems antiquated compared to the new 7"/8.9" competition.


     


    Not much choice to maintain something easily scaleable to 1024x768 except to go retina.

  • Reply 15 of 36
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    So this is a picture comparing two real products to what an imaginary device that may or may not really exist and which no one outside Apple knows anything about?

    Sounds really useful. /s
  • Reply 16 of 36


    People keep saying there is a 16:9 mockup?  I haven't seen it.  Can somone post a link or a pic?


     


    Or are people just confused because of the thin side bezel on the 3:4 mockup?  Mistaking it for 16:9?

  • Reply 17 of 36
    isheldonisheldon Posts: 570member
    I hope to Gawd it's not called "iPad mini" because that is truly barf inducing.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    In contrast to [B]iSheldon[/B], which rolls off the tongue.
  • Reply 19 of 36


    7.69 mm thick - just a sliver thicker than iPhone 5. Impressive

  • Reply 20 of 36
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    isheldon wrote: »
    I hope to Gawd it's not called "iPad mini" because that is truly barf inducing.

    I get the same sensation when I read iSheldon.
Sign In or Register to comment.