Starbucks app update brings Passbook support

Comments

• Reply 61 of 86
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What's the name of your company, and where can we buy it?

The company or the coffee?

• Reply 62 of 86
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    It's built into Mountain Lion and iOS 6 through Safari and e-mail and such.

What's built in?
  • Reply 63 of 86
    The company or the coffee?

Ha ha. I'm retired, no more companies for me.
  • Reply 64 of 86
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    melgross wrote: »
    What's built in?

Passbook. It's like when you choose to DL a file except the system know this type of file and it will ask you if you want to add it to Passbook after displaying an overlay that allows you to view it.
  • Reply 65 of 86
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Passbook. It's like when you choose to DL a file except the system know this type of file and it will ask you if you want to add it to Passbook after displaying an overlay that allows you to view it.

I know Passbook is built into the phone, but I haven't read anything about that part. Built into Mountain Lion? I didn't see it there. How is it built in there?
  • Reply 66 of 86
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

I don't see how a website could forward something to your Passbook. That would be equivelant to malware, and it's doubtful that Safari would allow it. I think an app is required for this.

Well you could do it with assigned file extensions. Example would be let's say they register .sbx as their extension. You would still have to have the Starbucks app on your device but then it is up to the app to handle the security and validate it but it could be sent from a website.

• Reply 67 of 86

I know Passbook is built into the phone, but I haven't read anything about that part. Built into Mountain Lion? I didn't see it there. How is it built in there?

Yep.

Click on your COMPUTER even and it's sent to your iPhone! Yet another reason Passbook needs to be on the iPad.

• Reply 68 of 86
    mstone wrote: »
    Well you could do it with assigned file extensions. Example would be let's say they register .sbx as their extension. You would still have to have the Starbucks app on your device but then it is up to the app to handle the security and validate it but it could be sent from a website.

But you would still need the app, as I said. I don't see how it could be done in iOS though, as it's so locked down, and the apps sandboxed.
  • Reply 69 of 86

Quote:

Modest, are we?

What's the name of your company, and where can we buy it?

Sent PM. If you need more info let me know.

• Reply 70 of 86
    Yep.

Click on your COMPUTER even and it's sent to your iPhone! Yet another reason Passbook needs to be on the iPad.

Hmm. This is new to me. I was surprised it isn't on the iPad. I expected it to be.

I now remember reading that. Forgot all about it though.
  • Reply 71 of 86
    Sent PM. If you need more info let me know.

Thank you.
  • Reply 72 of 86

Hmm. This is new to me. I was surprised it isn't on the iPad. I expected it to be.

I know, you know?

But no~, no one would e~ver want to use their iPad for Passbook. That's just stu~pid.

So say some here.

• Reply 73 of 86

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

But you would still need the app, as I said. I don't see how it could be done in iOS though, as it's so locked down, and the apps sandboxed.

No you can do it, Mobile Safari asks iOS for help with a file type and if it is registered in your .plist iOS launches your app and hands off the file being downloaded from a web page.

• Reply 74 of 86

You initially stated "I don't see how a website could forward something to your Passbook. That would be equivelant to malware, and it's doubtful that Safari would allow it. I think an app is required for this."

Just as you can go to a website and download a file you can do that with Safari on iOS 6 WITHOUT ever having to download an App Store app and use it to get a Passbook pass.

Apple even has an Add to Passbook badge to make this even easier.

• Reply 75 of 86
    I know, you know?

But no~, no one would e~ver want to use their iPad for Passbook. That's just stu~pid.

So say some here.

I admit it would be clumsy holding it up to a scanner, but you never know. It wouldn't hurt. If there's a smaller iPad (You never know, maybe I should start a rumor. I could start it here!), it would work well. Maybe they could put it there.
  • Reply 76 of 86
    No you can do it, Mobile Safari asks iOS for help with a file type and if it is registered in your .plist iOS launches your app and hands off the file being downloaded from a web page.

Ok. I haven't been studying this. Not my usual MO.
  • Reply 77 of 86
    solipsismx wrote: »
    You initially stated "I don't see how a website could forward something to your Passbook. That would be equivelant to malware, and it's doubtful that Safari would allow it. I think an app is required for this."
    Just as you can go to a website and download a file you can do that with Safari on iOS 6 WITHOUT ever having to download an App Store app and use it to get a Passbook pass.
    Apple even has an Add to Passbook badge to make this even easier.

I was thinking that this would be done without intervention, and that's the way flyby malware works. But I suppose if it's Apple's own file type they would allow it. I just hope someone doesn't come up with a way to subvert it.
  • Reply 78 of 86
    I was thinking that this would be done without intervention, and that's the way flyby malware works. But I suppose if it's Apple's own file type they would allow it. I just hope someone doesn't come up with a way to subvert it.

1) You can go to passsource.com and create your own to test. There servers have been swamped so good luck if you do.

2) From what I've seen it's just some basic fields with no ability for executable code so I think it's pretty safe.

3) You have me worried about the success of Passbook. If you, one of the smartest people on this forum (and that I know of), isn't wrapping their head around it then that tells me that it's not as straightforward as I think it is. Nothing is worth for tech than a great idea that people don't readily understand.
  • Reply 79 of 86

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

2) From what I've seen it's just some basic fields with no ability for executable code so I think it's pretty safe.

At worst it would just turn into a coupon or flight ticket that doesn't work, right?

Oh… no… at worst it… would turn into a coupon or flight ticket that DOES work… And then when the true owner of the ticket for B25 on the 4:30 to Seattle comes down the aisle and looks confused to see you in his seat, he'll have something of a time (and the airline a PR nightmare on their hands) if he can't prove he bought the ticket. 

Or kids walking out of stores with free game consoles and games thanks to their hacked coupons… 

• Reply 80 of 86
    At worst it would just turn into a coupon or flight ticket that doesn't work, right?

Oh… no… at worst it… would turn into a coupon or flight ticket that DOES work… And then when the true owner of the ticket for B25 on the 4:30 to Seattle comes down the aisle and looks confused to see you in his seat, he'll have something of a time (and the airline a PR nightmare on their hands) if he can't prove he bought the ticket. 

Or kids walking out of stores with free game consoles and games thanks to their hacked coupons… 

But the coupons can be tied to user accounts and/or be one-of usage. The latter would be case of hacking the algorithm for generating codes. Either way, it's no different than any other coupon scam already in existence.