Starbucks app update brings Passbook support

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Falling just a few days short of making good on its promise to bring Passbook support by the end of September, Starbucks on Wednesday rolled out an update to its iOS app which allows Starbucks Card holders to store their information in the iPhone and iPod touch digital asset repository.

Starbucks Passbook

The ubiquitous coffee company was one of the few companies included in a demonstration of Passbook during the application's unveiling at Apple's worldwide developers conference in June.

It was expected that Starbucks would offer Passbook support when iOS 6 launched, but the app wasn't on the list of compatible programs initially advertised in the App Store. The company later promised to offer integration before the end of September.

With the new update, users can easily access their Starbucks Cards from Passbook, allowing easy access to the barcode-based rechargeable payment system.

The utility of the newly integrated system is questionable, however, as access to the barcode in Starbucks' own app only takes one extra step while offering the ability to refill the card's balance. Passbook does trump the coffee company's app as far as iPhone 5 compatibility is concerned, as Starbucks' app has yet to be redesigned to take advantage of the new handset's 4-inch display.

Those Starbucks card holders who haven't yet downloaded the app can do so here.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 86
    The update in Canada doesn't include Passbook support. Lame.
  • Reply 2 of 86
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Off Topic: Starbucks sends you your free rewards and free birthday drink as a postcard in the mail. It's not a very fast or secure method as anyone can use your postcard.

Today I received in the post my latest free drink card but the text was different:

[indent]This may be your last postcard. Starting 10/16/12* your rewards will load digitally right onto your Card, ad we'll notify you by email when you've earned one. Verify your email so you don't miss a drink. Starbuck.com/rewards[/indent]

This plus Passbook should make this a big hit.

* I don't mind the Imperial Units of measurements that the US still uses but I don't get why we use the backwards date of putting the smallest duration between the second largest and largest duration, respectively.
  • Reply 3 of 86
    No Passbook for Canada
  • Reply 4 of 86
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    I still don't get "Passbook" at all. It seems we are expected to download apps from others to get their coupons in Passbook?

Why would I want to junk up my phone with numerous apps from third parties (most of which are ugly and stupid), just to get the coupons to show up in Passbook?

For me (and I think many thousands of others), this is just a non-starter.

If on the other hand, when I went into a Starbucks there was some way of them automatically putting something into my passbook that might be okay, but to have to pre-figure out which places might have "offers,"... then download the app... link to passbook ... wait ... reward?

It's just stupid and far, far too much trouble for what is essentially a crappy coupon that you can find in any newspaper.

Not going to happen.

I'm very particular about which apps I download and put on my phone. I'm not going to install some shitty ugly app just because with a lot of extra work I *might* be able to link it to passbook and then I *might* get 10% off of a cup of coffee or whatever.
  • Reply 5 of 86
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    Canada gets shafted every time! We have the longest land border in the world with the USA and still can't get anything. I can get Canadian cell reception in Buffalo. We should get everything the US gets. It's not like we are behind in technology or anything. Our movie theaters (Cineplex) are already using passbook. Come on Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 86
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I still don't get "Passbook" at all. It seems we are expected to download apps from others to get their coupons in Passbook?
    Why would I want to junk up my phone with numerous apps from third parties (most of which are ugly and stupid), just to get the coupons to show up in Passbook?
    For me (and I think many thousands of others), this is just a non-starter.
    If on the other hand, when I went into a Starbucks there was some way of them automatically putting something into my passbook that might be okay, but to have to pre-figure out which places might have "offers,"... then download the app... link to passbook ... wait ... reward?
    It's just stupid and far, far too much trouble for what is essentially a crappy coupon that you can find in any newspaper.
    Not going to happen.
    I'm very particular about which apps I download and put on my phone. I'm not going to install some shitty ugly app just because with a lot of extra work I *might* be able to link it to passbook and then I *might* get 10% off of a cup of coffee or whatever.

You can get Passbook passes from iMessages, emails, websites, and apps. Passbook isn't necessarily tied to an app, that is just a new way that certain apps can help assist their customers, like with Passbook.

I have the Starbucks app, but I still use my physical Starbucks card because I don't want to search for the app each morning. If Passbook will pop up as I enter the store, well that changes everything. I suspect it will make it the most convenient use method going forward.

There is one caveat. Passbook doesn't seem dynamic in it's ability to update your balance on a card like your Starbucks card. That field is generated and put into the Passbook pass. That means you'll have to go into the Starbucks app to get a new pass sent to Passbook or keep a mental track of your balance. Not a big deal, but something I hope Apple addresses.
  • Reply 7 of 86
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Off Topic: Starbucks sends you your free rewards and free birthday drink as a postcard in the mail. It's not a very fast or secure method as anyone can use your postcard.

Today I received in the post my latest free drink card but the text was different:

This may be your last postcard. Starting 10/16/12* your rewards will load digitally right onto your Card, ad we'll notify you by email when you've earned one. Verify your email so you don't miss a drink. Starbuck.com/rewards

and you get a "free" item (any food/drink)  after 12 purchases instead of 15.

However, flavor is no longer free.

So the average price for me is going up 41 cents. (French Vanilla Grande Latté)

• Reply 8 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Falling just a few days short of making good on its promise to bring Passbook support by the end of September, Starbucks on Wednesday rolled out an update to its iOS app which allows Starbucks Card holders to store their information in the iPhone-only digital asset repository.

That would be iPhone and iPod touch digital asset repository

• Reply 9 of 86
    chris_ca wrote: »
    and you get a "free" item (any food/drink)  after 12 purchases instead of 15.
    However, flavor is no longer free.
    So the average price for me is going up 41 cents. (French Vanilla Grande Latté)

Interesting. I didn't see the 12 instead of 15. That's some good news.

Since it's 1/5th as many purchases I wonder if you are still making out? I never use the extra flavours with that. A few times I've gotten an extra shot of espresso, but that's it. I've seen some people go crazy with their orders for a free cup.

Have you bought items — like drink and bagel — as a separate purchases to get that extra sale in? I do it, but I like to wait a few minutes to look like I'm just deciding later. :D
  • Reply 10 of 86

Quote:

This may be your last postcard. Starting 10/16/12* your rewards will load digitally right onto your Card, ad we'll notify you by email when you've earned one. Verify your email so you don't miss a drink. Starbuck.com/rewards

This plus Passbook should make this a big hit.

* I don't mind the Imperial Units of measurements that the US still uses but I don't get why we use the backwards date of putting the smallest duration between the second largest and largest duration, respectively.

Does that mean...? Happy Birthday, Solipsism!

• Reply 11 of 86
    Does that mean...? Happy Birthday, Solipsism!

Give or take 6 months.
  • Reply 12 of 86

Quote:

Interesting. I didn't see the 12 instead of 15. That's some good news.

Since it's 1/5th as many purchases I wonder if you are still making out? I never use the extra flavours with that. A few times I've gotten an extra shot of espresso, but that's it. I've seen some people go crazy with their orders for a free cup.

Flavors, soy milk and breve are extra (free with the new plan) so anything with these, it's more $$. Anything else will average less.

I usually get a venti with an extra shot for my free drink. Some people get a venti with 6 shots!

Have you bought items — like drink and bagel — as a separate purchases to get that extra sale in?

Maybe once or twice. I usually want to get going so not gonna jump back in line. I think it should be 1 star per drink, not per purchase.

If I go in with my daughters and get 3 drinks and maybe 1-2 food items, that easily $15. That'll go up $1.50.

Such is the quest for the almighty green!

• Reply 13 of 86
    chris_ca wrote: »
    Maybe once or twice. I usually want to get going so not gonna jump back in line. I think it should be 1 star per drink, not per purchase.
    If I go in with my daughters and get 3 drinks and maybe 1-2 food items, that easily $15. That'll go up $1.50.
    Such is the quest for the almighty green!

I agree with the per drink or per dollar amount. I usually study there for a while so getting in line isn't a big deal for me. I'm usually there at 5am and start work at 7am. On the weeks I oft spend from 5am to 9am studying.

At least they don't lock you out for an hour after a purchase from getting more points, and actually offer points. It's not like they have any real competition in most places that requires this kind of "gift".
  • Reply 14 of 86
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

I hope this will augment the Starbucks cards and not replace them.  It's easier to organize a Starbucks run at work when everyone has their own cards to pay for their own drinks, etc.

Quote:

We write "10/16/12" because we say, "October 16th, 2012".  The fact that the rest of the world doesn't like it is just icing on the cake.  ;)

• Reply 15 of 86
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Passbook was poorly implemented in my book. No pun intended. Not nearly enough vendors lined up to utilize it at launch, and as a result a very poor demonstration of why they think it is better than NFC. In fact Cook just simply should have not addressed NFC at all.

Theoretically, you will be able to load store cards, credit cards, gas cards, restaurant cards, etc. and use those for electronic purchases at POS. Im like you, and the coupon thing would only make sense to most who are already using an App, like Starbucks, or a grocery store chain. And Passbook is supposed to automatically open to that store when you are in proximity to make using this payment method easier.

Theoretically, Apple could leverage their iTunes database as one of these methods, depending on being in an apple partner store, so that you could actually charge anything to your iTunes credit card. Sort of like using PayPal. Personally, I'm not eager to load balances on cards like Starbucks, etc. I have a couple of credit cards I use for everything, and if these were made available for use with Passbook, then I would be a lot more likely to use it as a primary payment method, where I could (and that's the other big problem, as I believe every vendor has a completely different method for scanning that information -- Passbook just helps you organize it). On the other hand people give me gift cards all the time, and they rarely get used, because I never remember to bring them with me. If I could just download the app and register the card, it would sure be a lot easier to use them when I happened to be in a particular store, then delete the app after I've spent the money. And don't forget the ticket purchasing aspect ... From airlines to movie tickets -- the apps for which you are theoretically already using -- passbook will make them incredibly easy to use. I'm totally in board for that one. The problem so far seems to be that the venues who accept the tickets aren't really up to speed with the new system, and I'm not sure how widespread it actually is at this point.

Again, I'm not sure what Apple hopes to accomplish here. It's a very small step toward a user payment system, and since it isn't a unified payment system like NFC purports to be, and just an organizational tool (which requires a lot of front end setup time by the user), I don't see this really going far, or being in any way as revolutionary as Apple suggested it would be (such claims tend to include everyone and this seems to only effect users who are already using these apps), especially in light of their comments suggesting it was a more practical implementation than NFC at this time. Once they standardize NFC, Passbook may still be useful to organize your bank cards, and all the other stuff passbook can handle now, but unless I'm missing something Important, Passbook is in no way a suitable substitute for NFC or other unified POS system.
  • Reply 16 of 86

Quote:

Give or take 6 months.

Whoops, I guess I assumed too much from your comment...

• Reply 17 of 86
    Just pulled into the shopping center where one of my "favorited" Starbucks resides and my phone notified me. I slid it and it popped open Passbook right to the Starbucks card. I like that!

However, it did make me realize that if when Passbook gets huge that there are many additions that will need to be added. For instance, I don't want Starbucks popping up at 10pm at night. That's a 5am to 10am usage for me. I'm sure there are other passes that are only selected on certain dates or days of the week. For instance, if you have an American Airlines flight one week and a Delta flight the next from the same airport I don't want either popping up unless it's the day of the flight.

Whoops, I guess I assumed too much from your comment...

You can still get me a gift. I wear a 4" iPhone with a 64GB inseam. :D
  • Reply 18 of 86
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    solipsismx: Passbook DOES have the ability to pop-up automatically when you enter your favorite Starbucks store(s)
  • Reply 19 of 86
    badtz wrote: »
    solipsismx: Passbook DOES have the ability to pop-up automatically when you enter your favorite Starbucks store(s)

That is what I stated in my last post.
  • Reply 20 of 86
    mp1963mp1963 Posts: 17member

No  Starbucks passbook in the UK either unless its a phased roll out ...