Foxconn workers reportedly strike over iPhone 5 quality control rules, say handset design is flawed

Comments

• Reply 61 of 142
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member

So low education, low paid workers are challenging QA protocol established by highly educated, highly paid engineers? 

That's akin to challenging my boss because he makes me, you know, work. 

• Reply 62 of 142
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Funny, some potential future customer of iRobot is thinking exactly the same thing you and your co-workers.....  ...and not just for assembly-line jobs....

Any human who can not do a better job than a robot deserves to be replaced, if it is cost efficient.

• Reply 63 of 142
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    thompr wrote: »
    Well, I'll agree that a phone should be durable, at least from a functional standpoint.  But very few phones even start out "beautiful", let alone stay that way.  Nobody should expect a device used so frequently to maintain a pristine state.  Heck, it is only the beauty of the iPhone itself that invites the additional scrutiny.  Those other POS phones get scratched too, but nobody raises a snicker.

For anyone that is concerned about maintaining a pristine iPhone, do what most people do:  get a low profile case that maintains the sleekness, lightness, and still lets you see the sexy back.  (Such as a bumper, which some companies are now providing for the five.)

Thompson
    I've got a white iPhone 5 and when I got it I kept the plastic film on the back of the phone. Hardly noticeable. As far as the side bands and chamfered edge....pristine out of the box and not a scratch nearly a week later. :-)
  • Reply 64 of 142
    1983 wrote: »
    The iPhone5 is a beautiful thing, but having a small pocketable device constructed almost entirely from a relatively soft material like aluminum was asking for trouble! Maybe a solution for the scuffing/denting issues is a PVD/CLD coating for the black version and clear-coating for the silver version. Hopefully iPhone6 will be constructed from something like liquidmetal!
    I'm sure other phones show wear and tear too but the company that makes them isn't named Apple so no one gives a shit. I'll take my chances with the thin and light iPhone 5 over a brick like the Lumia.
  • Reply 65 of 142
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

By the way does anybody notice the lack of logic in this article. If suppliers where actually having problems delivering parts Foxconn wouldn't be staffing their plants with overtime and holiday work.

I agree with you, it makes me question the how valid the entire story is.

• Reply 66 of 142
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    If you want better quality, then make them in North America or Europe. Cheap labour means cheap stuff.
  • Reply 67 of 142
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I'm sure that's what it meant, but that's not what it said.

Yes it is:  "Following the incident, another fight broke out in the same area with inspectors once again being "beat up...."

There it does, but not the sentence I quoted:

Quote:

Workers complained the set of rules was too stringent and could not be met without proper training, however Foxconn management allegedly ignored the objections and in some cases were reportedly beaten.

• Reply 68 of 142
    jeez, I'll take my phone with a few tiny nicks... thanks fine. Just quit torturing these poor people. I'll wait for it a little longer too, just give them their vacation days from goodness sake... they're already working for practically nothing.
  • Reply 69 of 142
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by msalganik View Post

jeez, I'll take my phone with a few tiny nicks... thanks fine. Just quit torturing these poor people. I'll wait for it a little longer too, just give them their vacation days from goodness sake... they're already working for practically nothing.

What a bunch of crap.

They get paid very nicely, as a matter of fact they recently even got raises, and I will not accept any huge flaws on any Apple products that I purchase. I also would like the product as soon as possible without any unnecessary delays.

• Reply 70 of 142
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

If they don't like it, then they can quit.

They are assembling Apple products, not cheap, Android junk, and they are expected to meet certain quality control demands.

Those workers who are not up to par should immediately be fired and replaced with more capable workers.

It's the workers who did the product design of the phone that need to be disciplined.

Any Industrial designer would know not to design this iPhone from aluminum.

Jonny go sloppy and was beguiled by the pretty machined aluminum.

• Reply 71 of 142
    It's the PAINT chipping. Not the actual materials.

The real problem is indeed a design one. but not in terms of the core industrial design itself.

I'd wager that almost all "scuffed" iPhones are the black models.

The reason is a simple one. the metal is PAINTED.

And that is a rather horrible way to dress it up.

In fact, you could argue that the phone would even look better with the bare metal showing through.

At the least, they could have used a better coating.

I do feel for the Foxconn workers. They slave away trying to earn a living, being trained for one contract, then retrained for another, and again and again.

In fact, these folks building the iPhone ARE the same people building the junky Android stuff. But Apple requires more (as they should) quality and care. However, the Foxconn management needs to agree to better training for their workers. that seems to be what was requested. and that seems reasonable.

People can only take so much.

Hopefully, the iPhone 5s or iPhone 6 goes back to native material appearance. It has been a hallmark of Apple for a long time.

Painting metal is just sad. I wonder who conned Ive into having it done.
  • Reply 72 of 142

Quote:

Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Put a case on that puppy when you wear it?

I would (that thing is Fugly!)

Then I'd sell it as soon as possible.

• Reply 73 of 142
    pridonpridon Posts: 81member
    Samesung has likely infiltrated the work force with moles to disrupt Apple production, ya think?
  • Reply 74 of 142

It's not painted, it's anodized, which is a surface chemical treatment which hardens and colors the Aluminum surface.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

The real problem is indeed a design one. but not in terms of the core industrial design itself.

In fact, you could argue that the phone would even look better with the bare metal showing through.

I do feel for the Foxconn workers. They slave away trying to earn a living, being trained for one contract, then retrained for another, and again and again.

In fact, these folks building the iPhone ARE the same people building the junky Android stuff. But Apple requires more (as they should) quality and care. However, the Foxconn management needs to agree to better training for their workers. that seems to be what was requested. and that seems reasonable.

Hopefully, the iPhone 5s or iPhone 6 goes back to native material appearance. It has been a hallmark of Apple for a long time.

• Reply 75 of 142
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

They're requesting for training. They don't mind doing the work, but when they're not properly trained and they're returning products back that seem to be in good condition, the other workers get pissed at them because they're adding more work to them.

a scratch"this big" is not allowed, consider yourself trained!

• Reply 76 of 142

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post

To which holidays is the article referring?  Chinese people don't celebrate Thanksgiving or Christmas to the extent they are in the West, nor are they public holidays.  This makes me doubt the validity of the article in general.  

The first week of October is holiday in China (National Day).  I mostly work with a team in Shanghai, and everyone there was off for at least a week.  Kind of sucks that they would stop anyone from taking the holiday (and probably at short notice), although I'd lay the blame on Foxxconn rather than Apple.

• Reply 77 of 142

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsQueen View Post

I think management is the issure here.

Anyway, why do people add /s to the end of their comments?

/s=Sarcasm

• Reply 78 of 142

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

Is it painted or anodized? Haven't taken a blade to mine to find out!

• Reply 79 of 142
    What is it with people making up shit? The aluminum isn't painted it's anodized. I have a white iPhone 5 and not a scuff or scratch to be found. If you're going to spend hundreds of dollars on a phone treat it with respect. If you want one you can throw around and be careless with then get a plastic android or windows phone.
  • Reply 80 of 142
    9secondko wrote: »

Stop spouting utter nonsense.