Like Apple, HTC begins reducing dependence on Samsung for smartphone parts

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    reefoid wrote: »
    You think a decision in an American court (that is still under appeal) can be used as a precedent in other countries?  Good luck with that.
    Tell that to Motorola who had their German case against Microsoft delayed until the court in the US finishes dealing with the FRAND issues.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Holes in the firewall?

Oh yes of course. What was I thinking?

• Reply 23 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpnorton82 View Post

And so it begins...

HTC made the same announcement a couple of years back - when Samsung wasn't able to keep up with HTC's demand, largely due to the increasing internal demand from Samsung mobile division.  I thought HTC switched from Samsung's AMOLED to SONY's TFT LCDs.

I'm not too surprised that HTC switched back to Samsung (from Sony), especially considering Samsung's large share of AMOLE manufactured worldwide, 95+%. Almost everyone in AMOLED business has manufacturing/yield problems (except Samsung), so HTC will have to come back to Samsung at one point.  AU Optics?

• Reply 24 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratbert View Post

Pedromartins

Read your post back to yourself, I am an Apple fan but your post is just ridiculous!

No.. they manufacture components. what about engineering and design? they engineer the basic stuff and manufacture it because they do it cheaply, but when true innovation at consumer level comes to the equation (software, customization at processor level (after the basic arquitecture), ergonomics, design, built quality.. you know, the things that make a great product great..) Samsung is disgusting at that level.

their flagship phone is made of cheap plastic, shitty oversatured screen, shitty software, shitty propaganda. Well, it's a shitty phone for that price tag. So, Samsung is a shitty company overall, mainly because they are a bunch of criminals and because any complete product that comes 100per cent from them is "shit".

their salvation? stupid people and their manufacture business.

5 billion in profit last quarter.. thanks to stupid people and thieves.

• Reply 25 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by newbee View Post

I love how you use the word tactics to describe what is actually stealing stealing. So I guess, in your world, Bernie Madoff was only guilty of using the wrong tactics .... lovely, just friggin' lovely.

Sure, stealing is a valid 'tactic' in terms of the meaning of the word. There is no moral value attached to the term itself. Stealing can be a brilliant and efficient tactic to achieve a set goal, no matter how despicable or immoral in your's, or society's view.

Bernie Madoff was guilty of stealing, but he made a big mistake tactically if his aim was to get rich quick and reap the rewards thereof into retirement.

• Reply 26 of 54
    reefoidreefoid Posts: 158member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Does truth stop being truth when you go somewhere else? Why couldn't it be taken into account? 

If laws are different, yes.  The recent UK ruling proved that. And there have been at least two judges that I'm aware of (one in the UK, one in Australia) who have said that court cases in other countries would have no bearing on their decisions.  Seriously, America is not the world's authority when it comes to justice.  The rest of the world (FYI, that's everywhere beyond US borders) have pretty established court systems (you know, like here in the UK).  Also, can I point out this case is still ongoing and under appeal.  In another thread you lambasted someone for bringing up the UK case as it was "under appeal".  Maybe you should apply the same rules to yourself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Tell that to Motorola who had their German case against Microsoft delayed until the court in the US finishes dealing with the FRAND issues.

FRAND cases are different as they are global.  The case TS was talking about is specific to the US.

• Reply 27 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yes, they're earning lots of money now. But when you add the billion dollars (or more) that they have to pay Apple to the loss of billions of dollars of business due to their craven intellectual property theft, this entire program to slavishly copy Apple's products is costing them quite a bit.

Well, not really.. IMO, losing money to patent trolls (*cough*) is not intellectual property theft.  And it remains to be seen whether Mr. Hogan's verdict will be upheld in the court of appeals (or whether it be declared a mistrial/retrial this December).  Samsung doesn't have to pay anything for at least another 2-3 years.

Given Samsung's mobile 100+% growth in revenue, units old, (90+% or $3B+ more yoy) profit, I think Samsung could easily afford to give away a couple of billions every quarter.

• Reply 28 of 54
    vqrovqro Posts: 66member

Apple should partner with Sony for their components.  Sony is a good company and they don't present much of a threat to Apple, like Samsuck does.  Apple, invest in Sony NOW.

• Reply 29 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hum de dum… legal precedents for future lawsuits worldwide… hum doo doo… 

If anyone thinks that the lawsuit they lost and the penalty they incurred outweighs all the positives they gained from copying Apple is fooling themselves.  Back when there was a huge gap between iPhone and Android phones as far as superiority goes and the iPhone was not available to all customers, especially Verizon loyalist, Samsung gave them the closest experience to an iPhone that aping could get.  The tactic obviously worked and now Samsung has a loyal fan base, although at a much smaller scale, just as Apple does.  They obviously won the crowded competition known as Android phone manufacturing with the 2 week cycle phone releases from all the manufacturers in all kinds of flavors.  It's got to the point that the next Galaxy S phone can be made of paper machet and those fandroids will call it innovative and far superior to the clunky aluminum and glass body of the iPhone 5 and how durability is old school.

Need proof, go look up an article of the new innovative Samsung Galaxy s3 doo doo brown color cheap plastic body coming to Verizon and all you will read in the posts is how iPhone is so behind the times and sucks because it only comes in black and white. 

Samsung made a risky and calculated move and it worked.  No doubt there reputation with other companies has been tarnished and probably has been for a long time prior to this lawsuit as them copying other manufacturers isn't new.  It's just now in the spotlight and will cause a movement as we are seeing, but for how long is anyone's guess as they are obviously a power house in manufacturing parts in high yield.  The tradeoff I'd say is the loyal fan base that will no doubt trickle into other divisions of Samsung as they don't only make phones and TV's. 

I just don't think Samsung will be hurt much by this or go away anytime soon until the day they surpass Apple and will than become the Company everyone loves to hate just because of being on top as Apple is now learning to deal with.  not saying Samsung will reach that height but anything is possible. 

• Reply 30 of 54
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

...... Stealing can be a brilliant and efficient tactic to achieve a set goal, no matter how despicable or immoral in your's, or society's view......

Describing an immoral tactic as brilliant, just because the language makes it technically correct, is a sure sign of the character of the speaker, IMHO.

• Reply 31 of 54

Quote:

Describing an immoral tactic as brilliant, just because the language makes it technically correct, is a sure sign of the character of the speaker, IMHO.

Why? I am neither immoral nor dishonest, but I can see brilliance in 'immoral' and dishonest tactics just as I can see it in honest and 'moral' tactics. I may not approve of the former but that is beside the point. For you to see that a a sign that my character is questionable is ignorant and stupid, to be honest.

• Reply 32 of 54
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Quote:

Why? I am neither immoral nor dishonest, but I can see brilliance in 'immoral' and dishonest tactics just as I can see it in honest and 'moral' tactics. I may not approve of the former but that is beside the point. For you to see that a a sign that my character is questionable is ignorant and stupid, to be honest.

[Okay, I'll bite. Godwin's Law to the rescue!]

By your reasoning, Hitler was absolutely brilliant and we should just ignore his tactics.

• Reply 33 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevt View Post

You cared enough to click on the article title, read it, and make a post.

And you cared enough to say the obvious. I'm moved.

• Reply 34 of 54

It's actually quite startling that HTC is depending on Samsung, their direct competitor, that is cleaning the entire Android marketplace with its competition.  

From what I understand Samsung is making huge profits and has the largest and growing Android marketshare, by far, and HTC is making a small profit and watching its Android marketshare drain away (like it already has for Motorola and other Android OEM's).

HTC, like Apple, should have gotten off the Samsung super-conglomerate support system long ago.

• Reply 35 of 54
    timmydaxtimmydax Posts: 284member
    reefoid wrote: »
    If laws are different, yes.  The recent UK ruling proved that. And there have been at least two judges that I'm aware of (one in the UK, one in Australia) who have said that court cases in other countries would have no bearing on their decisions.  Seriously, America is not the world's authority when it comes to justice.  The rest of the world (FYI, that's everywhere beyond US borders) have pretty established court systems (you know, like here in the UK).  Also, can I point out this case is still ongoing and under appeal.  In another thread you lambasted someone for bringing up the UK case as it was "under appeal".  Maybe you should apply the same rules to yourself.

America aside, it is up to the discretion and wisdom of the judge as to whether he/she believes ongoing or foreign cases have any bearing. Despite our "established court system" in the UK, previous case rulings establish that particular judge as rather odd. Never mind the easily-appealed ruling. IMO it would be wise to look at precedents from all over the world when it comes to rather rare cases like these.
    cpsro wrote: »

By your reasoning, Hitler was [SIZE=14px]absolutely [SIZE=16px]brilliant[/SIZE][/SIZE] and we should just ignore his tactics.

Oh shit. Thread over!
  • Reply 36 of 54
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member

Quote:

Let's try to explain it this way .... the word "brilliance" is normally used in a positive manner. Stealing is not a positive behaviour, imo. To hang your hat on a technicality, just to support your argument is like a lawyer who gets a scumbag serial killer off on a technicality and then walks out of the courtroom, proud as a peacock because he won, never caring about the morality of his deeds .... again, actions speak louder than words and your use of the word "brilliance" speaks volumes to me, if not to you. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. 

• Reply 37 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

By your reasoning, Hitler was absolutely brilliant and we should just ignore his tactics.

Huh... ? That doesn't make sense. Maybe I phrased it badly in that I suggested tactics can be honest or dishonest. Hitler may have been tactically brilliant but were I to argue that (which I am not), it would not mean I approved of his actions or thinking. If lying is part of your tactics you will be a liar, but possibly also a brilliant tactician. Hitler was commonly regarded as a brilliant orator, but that does not imply approval of the content of his speeches. 

• Reply 38 of 54

Quote:

Let's try to explain it this way .... the word "brilliance" is normally used in a positive manner. Stealing is not a positive behaviour, imo. To hang your hat on a technicality, just to support your argument is like a lawyer who gets a scumbag serial killer off on a technicality and then walks out of the courtroom, proud as a peacock because he won, never caring about the morality of his deeds .... again, actions speak louder than words and your use of the word "brilliance" speaks volumes to me, if not to you. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. 

But Houdini was a 'brilliant' escape artist, were he not? If he was a criminal who spectacularly escaped from his captors in order to commit more crimes, would that make him a less 'brilliant' escapologist? It is nothing like your lawyer example. I may be a 'brilliant' conman. What would you call me? A despicable conman? But that is entirely different. Maybe I am a despicable yet brilliant conman, but once we have agreed that I am despicable it is surely OK to discuss the brilliance of my 'conman-ship'? 

• Reply 39 of 54
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

I wonder.  If Apple started to make it's own A6 A5 chi cps could it do so and still make profit?  Also could they manufacture the chips int he US?  That would eliminate Samsung from the equation.

• Reply 40 of 54
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

I wonder.  If Apple started to make it's own A6 A5 chi cps could it do so and still make profit?  Also could they manufacture the chips int he US?  That would eliminate Samsung from the equation.

The A5 is already made in the US, so I don't think that part is out of the question. And Apple just buy a chip manufacturer in Israel (right)? Two down, one location to go…