Like Apple, HTC begins reducing dependence on Samsung for smartphone parts

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member

Quote:

Originally Posted by vqro View Post

Apple should partner with Sony for their components.  Sony is a good company and they don't present much of a threat to Apple, like Samsuck does.  Apple, invest in Sony NOW.

What exactly is the point? Sony depends just as much on Samsung for displays. In fact, Samsung bought out all of the Sony & Samsung LCD venture a couple of years back, so now everything is more or less manufactured by Samsung (I'm guessing that must have been why HTC switched back to Samsung after having made an announcement that they would switch to Sony).

Also remember that Sony is one of Samsung's top customers with $12B sales from Samsung in 2010.

• Reply 42 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The A5 is already made in the US, so I don't think that part is out of the question. And Apple just buy a chip manufacturer in Israel (right)? Two down, one location to go…

Anobit?  Anobit doesn't manufacture anything. Like Intrinsity, Anobit was Samsung's business partner - Samsung was actually an early adopter (and the largest customer) of Anobit's dsp & nand controller technology.

• Reply 43 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by iMonkey View Post

I'm not a fan of Samsung and I have said elsewhere that I will not buy another Samsung product as I've lost a lot of respect for them since they started "attacking" Apple customers in their ad's.

I like that companies are starting to distance themselves from Samsung.

Sooner they are out on their ear the better image

I don't think that  matters at all.  HTC is going down the tube regardless of their supplier switch. Nokia & RIM are more or less doomed.  It doesn't seem like Google is interested in Motorola's hardware bussiness all that much. So that only leaves Samsung and Apple now.

And let's not forget, Samsung controls 95+% of the AMOLED market.  HTC can go only so far to distance itself from Samsung - they tried it a couple of years back..

• Reply 44 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

This isn't SamsungInsider so why would I care that HTC is making a logical move to not depend on a competitor?

You should care b/c, at this rate, Apple will surely end up like HTC one day, unable to compete with their largest supplier. Well, not tomorrow or next year, but perhaps not too distance future..

• Reply 45 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefoid View Post

You think a decision in an American court (that is still under appeal) can be used as a precedent in other countries?  Good luck with that.

Well, the 9th circuit courts certainly think it has jurisdiction in other countries (see recent Microsoft vs. Motorola appeal)..

Also note, there is no appeal yet. Samsung's lawyers QE are asking for re-trial (see Groklaw.com) and I think they got a pretty good case for retrial/mistrial there (thanks all to the jury foreman V. Hogan who really likes to talk to the press).

• Reply 46 of 54
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,201member

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

But Houdini was a 'brilliant' escape artist, were he not? If he was a criminal who spectacularly escaped from his captors in order to commit more crimes, would that make him a less 'brilliant' escapologist? It is nothing like your lawyer example. I may be a 'brilliant' conman. What would you call me? A despicable conman? But that is entirely different. Maybe I am a despicable yet brilliant conman, but once we have agreed that I am despicable it is surely OK to discuss the brilliance of my 'conman-ship'? 

*sigh* I guess some of us were too optimistic about Godwin's Law ending this discussion...

@paxman: how about this:

Samsung is a brilliant infringer of intellectual property rights? Not very catchy, is it? Maybe because Samsung did the obvious, easy thing: it copied... in which case, Samsung isn't at all brilliant. They just have a butt load of money from infringing that can be used to defend themselves.

• Reply 47 of 54
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    cpsro wrote: »
    *sigh* I guess some of us were too optimistic about Godwin's Law ending this discussion...

@paxman: how about this:
    Samsung is a brilliant infringer of intellectual property rights? Not very catchy, is it? Maybe because Samsung did the obvious, easy thing: it copied... in which case, Samsung isn't at all brilliant. They just have a butt load of money from infringing that can be used to defend themselves.
    I think you give them too much credit. (I don't know it is possible to infringe brilliantly). But granted, Samsung did infringe. And I agree, Samsung is hardly 'brilliant', per se. But if copying and infringing was a concious strategic play to increase sales dramatically and make shed loads of money, it may be construed as tactically 'brilliant' as it certainly achieved that goal in record time. Can we agree on that? No mater how despicable? Anyway, the jury is still out on the brilliance of Samsung's tactics.
  • Reply 48 of 54
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member

Samsung isnt a "copier". The trial was rigged from the start and will get a retrial or even better thrown out in the future.

Once that happens, I'm selling my shares in Apple. :D

• Reply 49 of 54
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Samsung isnt a "copier". The trial was rigged from the start and will get a retrial or even better thrown out in the future.

It's difficult to tell sarcasm with you.

• Reply 50 of 54
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    It's difficult to tell sarcasm with you.
    Its either sarcasm or outlandish. I'd assume sarcasm - outlandish would be too much of a yaaaawn.
  • Reply 51 of 54

"reduce reliance on a major competitor."

The BIG MISTAKE Samsung made is having both being a major manufacturer and design company. Their manufacturing is going to suffer as companies realize anything they send to Samsung can be used for against them.

Whether Apple won their lawsuit or not -- I think anyone who didn't notice how they became Samsung's R&D would have to be blind.

• Reply 52 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

I don't think that  matters at all.  HTC is going down the tube regardless of their supplier switch. Nokia & RIM are more or less doomed.  It doesn't seem like Google is interested in Motorola's hardware bussiness all that much. So that only leaves Samsung and Apple now.

And let's not forget, Samsung controls 95+% of the AMOLED market.  HTC can go only so far to distance itself from Samsung - they tried it a couple of years back..

Kind of ironic.  HTC makes by far the best Android phones, but their marketing sucks, and everyone pushes Samsung products.  

HTC does use Sony S-LCDs (which are IPS displays) in their high end products, but a few of their mid-range models use AMOLED displays...  

• Reply 53 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

Kind of ironic.  HTC makes by far the best Android phones, but their marketing sucks, and everyone pushes Samsung products.  

HTC does use Sony S-LCDs (which are IPS displays) in their high end products, but a few of their mid-range models use AMOLED displays...  

Yeah, I think SLCD was a joint venture between Samsung and Sony. Samsung bought out Sony's 50% stake (minus 1) last year - effectively making it all Samsung. 

• Reply 54 of 54

We love apple :D