Accessory maker halts production of 'iPad mini' cases due to apparent 'design change'

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A major third-party accessory maker is said to have halted production of its cases for Apple's rumored "iPad mini," after the company apparently learned that its cases were based on the wrong design.

The details were shared on Tuesday by Macotakara, which reported that a "large OEM mobile accessory maker" has stopped their production of cases for Apple's so-called "iPad mini." The decision was made because the design of the device has allegedly changed.

Of course, Apple hasn't even officially announced the iPad mini, so any cases designed to date have been based on rumors and alleged leaks.

Mini

Tuesday's report cited an anonymous source who indicated the "round shape" of the new iPad mini may have changed. However, it added that it was "not clear" how the apparent final product design was different from what the unnamed case maker expected.

It's possible that the cases were tailored for a product design that has circulated on the Internet for weeks. That design has become so well known that some companies in China are selling inexpensive iPad mini mockups.

The mockups are detailed enough that many websites have been using them to compare Apple's rumored iPad mini to existing smaller tablets like Google's Nexus 7 and the Amazon Kindle Fire HD. The mockup has shown a device with a metal back and curved sides, much like the full-size iPad, but with a smaller 7.85-inch display.

The existing mockups have also shown a device with a thinner bezel on the sides, which might allow it to be held more easily with one hand. The previous designs showed a device 13.5 centimeters wide and 20 centimeters tall and just 7.68 millimeters thick.

The dummy iPad mini mockups are so readily available that designs have been made for both 3G-capable and Wi-Fi only models. Whatever its final form, Apple is widely expected to hold an event this month to unveil its smaller iPad, with a launch rumored to occur soon after to capitalize on the lucrative holiday shopping season.

Case makers have bet ? and lost ? on rumored Apple product designs before. In 2011, some third-party accessory makers banked on a completely redesigned look for Apple's next iPhone, but that October the iPhone 4S debuted with a design nearly identical to its predecessor, the iPhone 4.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    16:9!?
  • Reply 2 of 59
    Apple has officially lost their ability to control their product launches (already clear from the iPhone 5). Time to tighten up security (again).
  • Reply 3 of 59

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

16:9!?

Told you we've seen more than one mockup.

Originally Posted by tasslehawf View Post

Apple has officially lost their ability to control their product launches.

And that couldn't be further from the truth. Could you buy a 6th-gen iPhone before launch? How about an iPad mini?

• Reply 4 of 59
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I just love this! It's all so silly. We might know something tomorrow, or we might not. The closest thing to reality in the Apple rumor market is when the WSJ says something about a new device, as they've been the most accurate over the years, with the NY Times following close behind.
  • Reply 5 of 59
    Told you we've seen more than one mockup.

And that couldn't be further from the truth. Could you buy a 6th-gen iPhone before launch? How about an iPad mini?

Oh, for crying out loud, just call it the damn iPhone 5 already, we're past that.
  • Reply 6 of 59

Quote:

However, it added that it was "not clear" how the apparent final product design was different from what the unnamed case maker expected.

Not clear? It was never clear to begin with. It'd be like NASA building a spacecraft using the blueprints they found on the Internet of the crashed alien saucer from Roswell.

• Reply 7 of 59

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Oh, for crying out loud, just call it the damn iPhone 5 already, we're past that.

I'm not past accuracy, that's for sure. Should I start calling the Early 2008 MacBook Pro the 'MacBook Pro' and expect people to know what I'm talking about? 

• Reply 8 of 59
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm not past accuracy, that's for sure. Should I start calling the Early 2008 MacBook Pro the 'MacBook Pro' and expect people to know what I'm talking about? 

I honestly think you're the worst troll on this forum. 

90% of the people in the real world don't know what the **** a "6th gen iPhone" is, but they sure as hell know what the iPhone 5 is. So what, exactly, is your point again?

Oh right, product naming "accuracy". Because an iPod Nano is one billionth the size of a regular iPod (thats what nano means) and the Macbook Air is light as Air. But yeah, keep fighting the good fight, or something. Maybe you should go door to door and enlighten people, or maybe Apple will keel under the pressure of yourself and the 6 other people in the world that give a shit, and will rename the product. 

• Reply 9 of 59
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:

However, it added that it was "not clear" how the apparent final product design was different from what the unnamed case maker expected.

Not clear? It was never clear to begin with. It'd be like NASA building a spacecraft using the blueprints they found on the Internet of the crashed alien saucer from Roswell.

Just like there are no cases for iPhone 5 in the Apple Store (unless they very recently arrived) because no one knew the name for sure. I bought a case at Best Buy which said it fits the New iPhone. Apple would not sell them unless the packages says it fits iPhone 5. @TS I'm sure they wouldn't sell a case that said designed for 6th generation iPhone either.

• Reply 10 of 59

Quote:

MacBookPro4,1 is the preferred term. Acceptable alternatives: A1260, A1261.

• Reply 11 of 59
    Actually, it's about time that a case mfg got their hand caught in the cookie jar, isn't that were most of the leaks come from anyway? Not surprised that Apple plugged that leak.
  • Reply 12 of 59

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Guess I should be honored that an 'Apple can do no wrong'-er is saying this. image

• Reply 13 of 59

Quote:

... Could you buy a 6th-gen iPhone before launch? ...

Hahaha, Tallest Skill, you just made my day. Thank you for a good laugh :) I am sure now, you can't be serious about "6 vs. 5" anymore, and are enjoying jerking people around and their reaction.

• Reply 14 of 59
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    tasslehawf wrote: »
    Apple has officially lost their ability to control their product launches (already clear from the iPhone 5). Time to tighten up security (again).

This isn't real yet. Might want to wait until then before you diss Apple. After all there have been 'updated iPad in the Fall' rumors since gen 1. This could be just the same wrong game and Jonny are pissing in their pants laughing while looking at the new computers, displays and STB Apple TV they were able to keep secret.
  • Reply 15 of 59
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    slurpy wrote: »

Then why do you bother with him. Trolls seek attention, any attention. So by replying to his 'crap' you are giving him what he wants.
  • Reply 16 of 59
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by itisole View Post

I am sure now that you can't be serious about "6 vs. 5" anymore, and are enjoying jerking people around and their reaction.

Oh, I'm not. I'm fully aware that the name they chose is the name they chose, but I know how to count. And my description is no less valid. I can call it iPhone5,1 or M/whateverLLA if enough people want me to change. 

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Then why do you bother with him. Trolls seek attention, any attention. So by replying to his 'crap' you are giving him what he wants.

F????????????e?????????????????e????????????d???????????? ???????????????????????????????…????????????????

• Reply 17 of 59

What? They found the blueprints? I had no idea!
  • Reply 18 of 59

Nobody knows what you're talking about now. The phone is the iPhone 5. Just give up gracefully, and call it by the real name, whether you are happy about it or not. You can seeth privately, but insisting on your nomenclature is just tiring.
  • Reply 19 of 59
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Nobody knows what you're talking about now. The phone is the iPhone 5. Just give up gracefully, and call it by the real name, whether you are happy about it or not. You can seeth privately, but insisting on your nomenclature is just tiring.

So calling the 6th-gen iPhone the 6th-gen iPhone doesn't fly? What about calling the 3rd-gen iPad 'iPad 3'? That's wrong, too. 

Come on, man. The only thing it can't be called is a designator it isn't. Though were I actually calling it iPhone5,1 or by its model number, that'd be stupid enough to warrant complaints. 

• Reply 20 of 59
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Bonner View Post

Actually, it's about time that a case mfg got their hand caught in the cookie jar, isn't that were most of the leaks come from anyway? Not surprised that Apple plugged that leak.

It would be wonderful if this whole thing was a series of controlled leaks to suss out leakers. Fire and/or sue them all into oblivion, Apple.