Apple woos chip design guru away from Samsung

Comments

• Reply 21 of 92

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

or work for a copycat for the rest of yourself? Can Apple do anything original? 

Now, we like to throw the word 'trolling' around a lot, and it's mostly valid, sometimes not.

Explain how the content of this post is not anything but pure, unacceptable lying. This is not a request.

• Reply 22 of 92
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

... go with an ARM-based system for their Macs which will kill any virtualisation options for Windows (which I think is a big draw for Macs). ...

This is a really good point, but in my experience, the number of folks running parallels (or any kind of Windows virtualisation), on their Mac is dropping off quite a bit lately.  I only see one of these setups every three or four months lately whereas I used to have to deal with them all the time.  I think a lot of folks did the virtualisation thing only as a way of justifying the fact that they were leaving Windows behind, which they eventually did.  

• Reply 23 of 92
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    This is a really good point, but in my experience, the number of folks running parallels (or any kind of Windows virtualisation), on their Mac is dropping off quite a bit lately.  I only see one of these setups every three or four months lately whereas I used to have to deal with them all the time.  I think a lot of folks did the virtualisation thing only as a way of justifying the fact that they were leaving Windows behind, which they eventually did.  

I use them quite extensively. Not for my personal use OS but for testing. Now I understand my usage is not the norm but I have a feeling that this is one of those things Apple might heavily consider even though it's not that common.

My usage might even be more atypical as I use it for testing Windows Server which I think I could do right now with Amazon EC2 for free.

• Reply 24 of 92
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member

Quote:

If you are executing x86 code it would then be emulated, not virtualized. This is much slower. Remember MS Virtual PC for PPC Macs? It wasn't good. The only solution would be for Windows to offer their desktop OSes with the ARM kernels. You then get the driver issues that we saw with Windows when they moved from 32 to 64-bit but it's do-able and MS certainly seems better poised to eschew Intel for ARM (read: add ARM instruction set as an option to x86 and x86_64) if they want to then they seemed ready to adopt 64-bit.

I have 4 os's running on my iMac currently, sad but true, Win 7 (64 bit) for a single app, Win XP (32 bit) for a single app, Linux and Apple's crowning glory :) I do not want to lose those 'single apps'.

• Reply 25 of 92
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    tooltalk wrote: »
    or work for a copycat for the rest of yourself?

It seems like Apple's business is strategy largely consisted of stealing Samsung's business partners (Intrinsity, Anobity) or stealing employees from Google Maps or Samsung's semi team.  Can Apple do anything original? 

LOL.

Okay, for the sake of argument and educating us.

Could you rattle off the list of successful, original products that Samsung and Google have pumped out in the last decade or more?
  • Reply 26 of 92
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member

Quote:

...Remember MS Virtual PC for PPC Macs? It wasn't good...

...But the emulated software was more reliable on my 12" Powerbook than on a PC notebook, even running an RS232 dongle to hardware!

• Reply 27 of 92

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Could you rattle off the list of successful, original products that Samsung and Google have pumped out in the last decade or more?

Google:

Self-driving cars (and maybe not; don't know the particulars).

The… way (and maybe not) they monetize our personal information.

AdSense, maybe?

Samsung:

I dunno, they do construction equipment. Maybe some of that isn't stolen from Caterpillar. Their home appliances sure look like knockoffs. 

I was looking up Samsung Petrochemical, but there's no Wikipedia page on that, and I'm not about to learn Korean just to see what they make.

• Reply 28 of 92
    Google:
    Self-driving cars (and maybe not; don't know the particulars).
    The… way (and maybe not) they monetize our personal information.
    AdSense, maybe?

Samsung:
    I dunno, they do construction equipment. Maybe some of that isn't stolen from Caterpillar. Their home appliances sure look like knockoffs. 
    I was looking up Samsung Petrochemical, but there's no Wikipedia page on that, and I'm not about to learn Korean just to see what they make.

I did include the word 'successful' in that query... ;-)
  • Reply 29 of 92

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I did include the word 'successful' in that query... ;-)

Provided they're original, Google's cars will be extraordinarily successful. Not that they'll be making cars, they'll perfect the tech and then license it to every car manufacturer. That is, if they're not complete idiots. As it stands, we'll likely see one company in each country that manufactures cars getting exclusivity for some disgusting reason.

• Reply 30 of 92
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    Windows RT...yuck
  • Reply 31 of 92
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member

I wonder what kind of coin this guy will be pulling in.

• Reply 32 of 92
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    gtr wrote: »
    LOL.
    Okay, for the sake of argument and educating us.

Like Apple, Samsung are evolving products that existing previously.
  • Reply 33 of 92

Provided they're original, Google's cars will be extraordinarily successful. Not that they'll be making cars, they'll perfect the tech and then license it to every car manufacturer. That is, if they're not complete idiots. As it stands, we'll likely see one company in each country that manufactures cars getting exclusivity for some disgusting reason.

I'm asking for proven, current-day, successful (makes a profit, not a loss), original products or services. I suspect Samsung and Google have had a lot less of these than we suspect, but I'm genuinely interested in being corrected if I'm wrong.

Apple have had a ton of these: the iMac, OS X, the iPod, iTunes music store, the Apple retail stores, the iPhone, MacBook Air, iPad, not to mention the various hardware/software formats they've been responsible for either making popular or killing off as appropriate.

I'd really like to hear if there is another single company that had the same influence.
  • Reply 34 of 92
    jfanning wrote: »
    Like Apple, Samsung are evolving products that existing previously.

Can you give some examples?
  • Reply 35 of 92
    I'm asking for proven, current-day, successful (makes a profit, not a loss), original products or services. I suspect Samsung and Google have had a lot less of these than we suspect, but I'm genuinely interested in being corrected if I'm wrong.
    Apple have had a ton of these: the iMac, OS X, the iPod, iTunes music store, the Apple retail stores, the iPhone, MacBook Air, iPad, not to mention the various hardware/software formats they've been responsible for either making popular or killing off as appropriate.
    I'd really like to hear if there is another single company that had the same influence.

Not one of Apple products etc are original, they are evolution of an existing product or service. Don't confuse a successful item with an original item
  • Reply 36 of 92
    Can you give some examples?

Are you going to sit there and say you don't know a single Samsung device that exists? Like Apple, they are just improving previously existing products
  • Reply 37 of 92

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Not one of Apple products etc are original, they are evolution of an existing product or service. Don't confuse a successful item with an original item

You're hilarious. 

By your definition, the concept of originality doesn't exist.

• Reply 38 of 92
    You're hilarious. 

By your definition, the concept of originality doesn't exist.

Yes it does, but to claim that Apple is creating "original" items, and Samsung isn't is purely naive.
  • Reply 39 of 92

Yes it does, but to claim that Apple is creating "original" items, and Samsung isn't is purely naive.

And claiming something paid for is the same as something stolen is very IAU of you.

• Reply 40 of 92

Quote:

So, to take a single example, you wouldn't consider the iPhone, as Apple introduced it in 2007, as an original product?

There were plenty of examples of this kind of device before 2007?

I'm aware of multiple Samsung devices, but not even one example that changed the world in the way that Apple has, not once, but multiple times.

Provide some examples where Samsung has done the same.