Apple woos chip design guru away from Samsung

Comments

• Reply 61 of 92

Originally Posted by fatusmiles View Post

So Apple used to have spy in samsung's ground?

No, that's not at all what this says.

We really need to have a Hindi-translated page, apparently.

• Reply 62 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, that's not at all what this says.

We really need to have a Hindi-translated page, apparently.

FYI i am not Hindi...so tell me what have been said?

• Reply 63 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Narrow? Nope, at a guess I would assume it is well in excess of your understanding. To claim that there wasn't phones before the iPhone is naive, to claim there wasn't smartphones before the iPhone is naive, to claim there wasn't touch screen phones before the iPhone is naive.

Apple has evolved the smartphone, touchscreen, they are not an original device.

To compare it would be like Samsung releasing a new TV and everyone claimed it was original, it can't be, they are have around for decades, they are just evolving previous ones.

What does that have to do with someone claiming all Apple products are original

Wow this is comical.  TV went from black & white to color a very long time ago.  Went from tube to flat screens not that many years ago.  If you think those were not significant and just pass them off as minor improvements tells me a lot about your hard to please attitude.  A TV going from 40 inches deep to 2 or 3 inches deep and hanging up on a wall is innovation, not just a improvement.  It's not just creating a new case for it, it involves a lot of engineering.  Those are just a few examples and I don't know the history of Televisions to know how much Samsung is involved in any of those inventions but I know what I see when I go to a electronic store or a Appliance Store and that is Samsung products look just like all the others which makes me believe they play it safe and copy. 

Just because it's a existing product doesn't mean it can't be re-invented. 

Blackberry was a smartphone available before the iPhone made its debut.  What was so smart about it, you could recieve emails and send them out.  Obviously for people in certain job fields it was necessary.  It was not ideal for anything else we associate with smart phones today which brought it to mass appeal.  It wasn't used to browse internet the way smart phones are used today, it wasn't a gaming platform for so many like it is today, it wasn't used to keep track of people's various accounts with apps, it wasn't used as a gps like it is today, It wasn't a multimedia player like it used today.  In fact no smartphone prior to iPhone did anything of practical use and those are just a few examples. 

For some people like my girlfriend, since getting an iPhone 4, she hasn't used her laptop in months.  Her laptop had died, I put some money into fixing it and she used it 3 or 4 times, at the beginning, after I fixed it and upgraded it to Windows 7, and has since not been turned on, which was 3 or 4 months ago. 

Guess your right iPhone 4 didn't change a thing just put a little paint on the smart phones that existed before it and fooled us all into thinking they changed the game. 

• Reply 64 of 92

Innovation makes our work easier and better. Though, some of them are quite stressful... Not working app and complaining about the this and that stuff.

• Reply 65 of 92
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    jivanile wrote: »
    Wow this is comical.  TV went from black & white to color a very long time ago.  Went from tube to flat screens not that many years ago.  If you think those were not significant and just pass them off as minor improvements tells me a lot about your hard to please attitude.  A TV going from 40 inches deep to 2 or 3 inches deep and hanging up on a wall is innovation, not just a improvement.  It's not just creating a new case for it, it involves a lot of engineering.  Those are just a few examples and I don't know the history of Televisions to know how much Samsung is involved in any of those inventions but I know what I see when I go to a electronic store or a Appliance Store and that is Samsung products look just like all the others which makes me believe they play it safe and copy. 
    Just because it's a existing product doesn't mean it can't be re-invented. 
    Blackberry was a smartphone available before the iPhone made its debut.  What was so smart about it, you could recieve emails and send them out.  Obviously for people in certain job fields it was necessary.  It was not ideal for anything else we associate with smart phones today which brought it to mass appeal.  It wasn't used to browse internet the way smart phones are used today, it wasn't a gaming platform for so many like it is today, it wasn't used to keep track of people's various accounts with apps, it wasn't used as a gps like it is today, It wasn't a multimedia player like it used today.  In fact no smartphone prior to iPhone did anything of practical use and those are just a few examples. 
    For some people like my girlfriend, since getting an iPhone 4, she hasn't used her laptop in months.  Her laptop had died, I put some money into fixing it and she used it 3 or 4 times, at the beginning, after I fixed it and upgraded it to Windows 7, and has since not been turned on, which was 3 or 4 months ago. 
    Guess your right iPhone 4 didn't change a thing just put a little paint on the smart phones that existed before it and fooled us all into thinking they changed the game. 

You seem to be getting a little bit emotional about all of this.

How can you claim what Apple does is original, then claim Samsung does nothing original?

The above rant has nothing to do with the claim that is being discussed, absolutetly nothing.
  • Reply 66 of 92

Quote:

Narrow? Nope, at a guess I would assume it is well in excess of your understanding. To claim that there wasn't phones before the iPhone is naive, to claim there wasn't smartphones before the iPhone is naive, to claim there wasn't touch screen phones before the iPhone is naive.

Comparing iOS to Symbian of PalmOS is more like comparing DOS and Windows95. In that case, name me one original product, you will found any.

Before the iPhone their was no smartphone OS on par with Desktop OS functionality and development environment, most of them was using Java based apps only, you fail to acknowledge this. The iPhone has redefine what is a smartphone and rendered every smartphone made before obsolete, falling to see how the phone industry was change because of the iPhone is naive

Quote:

Again, do you understand what the work original means?

Let's look at the Apple dictionary…

original |??r?d??n(?)l, ?-|

adjective

1 present or existing from the beginning; first or earliest: the original owner of the house | the plasterwork is probably original.

2 created personally by a particular artist, writer, musician, etc.; not a copy: original Rembrandts.

3 not dependent on other people's ideas; inventive or novel: a subtle and original thinker.

Well for number 1, nope, number 3, nope. Number 2, well I suppose you could throw Apple in there, but then every company that creates something can be called original (afterall Samsung made the oven I have)

Again according to your "cultural" definition of original works you can't find any example of original tech gadget, all tech gadget that have been created is based on previous technologies.  You may dismiss the iPhone "Originality" but you can't ignore the iPhone "innovation", in this regard Apple got the best examples of original products when you compare with other tech corp who's only following someone else path.

• Reply 67 of 92
    bigmac2 wrote: »
    Before the iPhone their was no smartphone OS on par with Desktop OS functionality and development environment, most of them was using Java based apps only, you fail to acknowledge this. The iPhone has redefine what is a smartphone and rendered every smartphone made before obsolete, falling to see how the phone industry was change because of the iPhone is naive

Actually no, before the iPhone (and remember the iPhone when released was not a smartphone, it couldn't run native apps) the vast majority of smartphones ran S60, which ran native apps. This is one reason why I have "failed" to acknowledge it, the second reason is you have only just raised it.

Making every smartphone before it obsolete? Wow, I think you won with that one. You seem to be confusing innovation with an original item. I have no issue in seeing what impact the iPhone has had, I am happy to admit that it did a lot better than I thought it would do. Does that make it an original item, no sorry it doesn't.

Again according to your "cultural" definition of original works you can't find any example of original tech gadget, all tech gadget that have been created is based on previous technologies.  You may dismiss the iPhone "Originality" but you can't ignore the iPhone "innovation", in this regard Apple got the best examples of original products when you compare with other tech corp who's only following someone else path.

My "cultural definition"?? Nope, Apple's. Now in saying that, you can call the iPhone original if you want, but you can't then claim that Samsung doesn't do anything original, because they do.
  • Reply 68 of 92

Quote:

My "cultural definition"?? Nope, Apple's. Now in saying that, you can call the iPhone original if you want, but you can't then claim that Samsung doesn't do anything original, because they do.

Looking back at Apple history, you see who is leading the path and who's following. 

• Reply 69 of 92
    Looking back at Apple history, you see who is leading the path and who's following. 

Samsung makes a lot more than just cellphones and laptops
  • Reply 70 of 92
    jivanile wrote: »
    By your logic if a scientist comes up with a cure for baldness in a form of a pill, he did not invent anything because pills existed before that.  All he did was improve on a existing product such as tylenol.  That is great logic.  How can anyone ever again be an inventor in your world?  The iPhone wasn't just an improvement on existing products it was a revolution and very original.  Go back and look at the history of apple and take a look at the products they came out with only to have the industry follow in their foot steps (sometimes to close *cough* *cough* Samsung *cough* *cough*).

You seem to be getting confused quite easily with this simple concept, why are you trying to a pill to an implementation of a pill? Do you group all consumer electronic items into one category?

Also, how is Samsung following Apple in the design of TV's, Ovens, Fridges, Washing Machines, heavy engineering etc?
  • Reply 74 of 92

Also, how is Samsung following Apple in the design of TV's, Ovens, Fridges, Washing Machines, heavy engineering etc?

Gotta be smarter than that. It's not Apple they copy, but they certainly copy.

• Reply 75 of 92

Quote:

Samsung makes a lot more than just cellphones and laptops

And of which Samsung is leading? none.

• Reply 76 of 92
    Gotta be smarter than that. It's not Apple they copy, but they certainly copy.

If you are making claims like that then please follow up with the evidence
  • Reply 77 of 92
    And of which Samsung is leading? none.

Well for starters they are the top sellers of cellphones in the World, that is one measure of "leading". They are also top in TV sales (which isn't necessarily a good thing considering how much these companies lose on TVs). They also seem to be leading in a number of their industries
  • Reply 78 of 92

If you are making claims like that then please follow up with the evidence

Sure thing.

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Well for starters they are the top sellers of cellphones in the World, that is one measure of "leading".

McDonald's sells the most "food". They must be "leading". 

Your argument is nonsense.

• Reply 79 of 92
    Sure thing.

Super, lets see it
    McDonald's sells the most "food". They must be "leading". 

Your argument is nonsense.

No it isn't. You just don't like that fact that it is correct. So you can prove it wrong please post that proof
  • Reply 80 of 92

No it isn't. You just don't like that fact that it is correct. So you can prove it wrong please post that proof

Are you frigging kidding me. Is this a real… 

????