Apple expected to unveil Retina 13" MacBook Pro at next week's 'iPad mini' event

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 79
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    flaneur wrote: »
    Interesting, if true, that they would introduce a retina device and a new non-retina device at the same event.
    One would think that one would make the other look bad, unless there were some redeeming feature of the new device's screen. Or can they just assert that 163 ppi looks great on our new pocketable iPad?
    I haven't anticipated a new device so much since the original iPad. So many unknowns in such a crucial product category . . .
    Exactly!!

    They wouldn't do this.

    Even of they just quietly release the MBP 13" retina on the Apple Store the same day, the tech blogs will immediately begin pointing out this disparity should the mini-tablet not have a retina-like display. My guess is it won't show up until at least November, possibly with just a press release, unless of course the mini-tablet display is on par with MBP retina in some equal or unique way.
  • Reply 22 of 79
    See, I still don't get that! Doing a Mac at an iDevice event, or vice versa. 

    Agreed. This is one bit of history I think they will keep.

    It is more likely the event is about one set (mobile or computer) and the other is either bunk or will just be a silent release off the site.

    Or perhaps both are bunk and the event is literally a media event. Bringing in he media to talk about media (ie iTunes Store stuff)
  • Reply 23 of 79
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,745member
    Eh, that might work. But relegating their best selling laptop to Mac Mini levels of recognition is something I'd rather not see.

    In terms of sales I'd suspect the iPad Mini is more important to Apple at this event just before the holidays. MBPs sell year round as of course will a new iPad too but I feel it merits more hyping just before to the holidays as is a perfect stocking stuffer for mums, dads, kids, grandparents not to mention the cat (the only excuse I can think of as I already have an iPad). /wink
  • Reply 24 of 79
    Eh, that might work. But relegating their best selling laptop to Mac Mini levels of recognition is something I'd rather not see.

    The only reason to think about having an event would be if it goes Retina. But it might not. The 'delay' rumors could be bunk and the reason only the 15 went that was is that Apple knew the price would only fly with Pros and companies and they don't tend to get the 13 inch. So until the price can come down A LOT there's no advantage to a 13 inch Retina.
  • Reply 25 of 79
    flaneur wrote: »
    Interesting, if true, that they would introduce a retina device and a new non-retina device at the same event.
    .

    Why not. That's what they did with the 15 inch MBP
  • Reply 26 of 79
    Also, a pink unicorn will be unveiled by Apple next week.

    Nah. Edward is going to come introduce the new iPad Twilight. It comes preloaded with the books, movies etc. and it sparkles in the sunlight.
  • Reply 27 of 79

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


    Also, a pink unicorn will be unveiled by Apple next week.



    I already have one of those. Totally overrated. 

  • Reply 28 of 79
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    jongrall wrote: »
    Personally I'm hoping for a new Apple Cinema Display. It's the Apple device that I spend the most time looking at and it's really overdue for a redesign.

    Up the physical size options, res, refresh rate and add HDMI and it is 'real' Apple TV
  • Reply 29 of 79
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    applegreen wrote: »

    1) Discrete graphics? I would say no since 13" never had discrete graphics.  But, will it have enough power to drive the retina display?

    The late 2008 Unibody 13" has a nvidia 9400M GPU
  • Reply 30 of 79
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post



    Interesting, if true, that they would introduce a retina device and a new non-retina device at the same event.

    One would think that one would make the other look bad, unless there were some redeeming feature of the new device's screen. Or can they just assert that 163 ppi looks great on our new pocketable iPad?

    I haven't anticipated a new device so much since the original iPad. So many unknowns in such a crucial product category . . .


     


    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post





    Exactly!!

    They wouldn't do this.

    Even of they just quietly release the MBP 13" retina on the Apple Store the same day, the tech blogs will immediately begin pointing out this disparity should the mini-tablet not have a retina-like display. My guess is it won't show up until at least November, possibly with just a press release, unless of course the mini-tablet display is on par with MBP retina in some equal or unique way.


     


    Seriously you guys are worring me.  I dont see any problem for Apple to launch a retina MBP, iMac and an non retina ipad mini at the same event.  But even with a non retina screen, it will still have better pixel per inch than the ipad 2 because the screen is smaller.


     


    Half the people I talk to are unable to tell the difference between the ipad 2 screen and the retina ipad3...  price on the other hand is something they see right away. A better than ipad2 screen for the mini will be more than enough for the people buying a low price tablet.


     


    And I like the multiple choice leak from germany, Apple is making sure it gets its margin even if the mini outsell the regular ipad.


     


    Now if only Apple could send the damn event invitations so we can talk about something that as a remote chance of not being complete vaporware.

  • Reply 31 of 79
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    *snicker* This is what you call a controlled leak.
  • Reply 32 of 79
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member


    Hey- everybody get really excited about the MacBook event and iPad mini event next week that was predicted to happen this week... and then moved back after it didn't happen to next week.... and then....


     


    But seriously- get your hopes up.

  • Reply 33 of 79


    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

    Why not. That's what they did with the 15 inch MBP


     


    Ah, but there's a difference there. The 15" rMBP was a retina device released into an ecosystem of nothing but non-retina devices. The iPad mini is a non-retina device being released into an ecosystem of nothing but retina devices. 


     


    Now combine the two. In one event, they're releasing a new product (13" rMBP) that goes against its ecosystem positively, and a new product (iPad mini) that goes against its ecosystem negatively.


     


    What sort of message does that send?





    Originally Posted by jongrall View Post

    Personally I'm hoping for a new Apple Cinema Display. It's the Apple device that I spend the most time looking at and it's really overdue for a redesign.


     


    If you actually spent the most time looking at it, you'd see that its design is LITERALLY this:


     


    Screen.


    Border.


     


    Unless you spend the most time looking at the back of your boss' display as he chastises you for looking at the back of his display too often, there's really nothing to "redesign" about it. 





    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

    The late 2008 Unibody 13" has a nvidia 9400M GPU


     


    That shares RAM with the system, so it's not really considered dedicated. 

  • Reply 34 of 79

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post





    The late 2008 Unibody 13" has a nvidia 9400M GPU


     


    That is integrated graphics (like the Intel HD 4000 in the current 13").

  • Reply 35 of 79
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post


     


     


    I hope you're wrong.  I'd kind of like an iPad mini if the specs are right.



    I hope he's wrong too, but he's not.  There will be no iPad mini this year.  I'll gladly eat crow if there is one (and also buy one- a mini, not a crow)

  • Reply 36 of 79
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    You shouldn't need to buy a crow either, they are easily found all over the place for free.
  • Reply 37 of 79

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


     


    If you actually spent the most time looking at it, you'd see that its design is LITERALLY this:


     


    Screen.


    Border.


     


    Unless you spend the most time looking at the back of your boss' display as he chastises you for looking at the back of his display too often, there's really nothing to "redesign" about it. 



     


    Ugh, must you always be so antagonistic?  Anyway, your logic is flawed.  If there is nothing to redesign because it is "screen and border" then there would be no reason to redesign iPhone's, iPad's, iMac's, TV's or anything else that is mostly screen and border.

  • Reply 38 of 79
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post



    In addition to a smaller iPad, Apple also reportedly plans to unveil a 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display at a media event next week.


    I like the way the products to be launched next week are being discussed when no launch has yet been announced. But regardless, there is no way an iPad mini and an 13"mbp will be announced at the same event. The mbp may, as has been suggested, slip in to the inventory with little fanfare, but it will not be mentioned at the iPad launch. The Apple launches are flashy marketing events and to dilute the message would be a mistake. I am sure the iPad will be launched in conjunction with some other service directly related to the new form factor. They'll want to contextualize the iPad and by so doing give every newspaper, tech-site and blogger free copy to spread for general consumption. 

  • Reply 39 of 79


    Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

    …there would be no reason to redesign iPhone's, iPad's, iMac's, TV's or anything else that is mostly screen and border.


     


    That's hardly a similar comparison.

  • Reply 40 of 79
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

    If there is nothing to redesign because it is "screen and border" then there would be no reason to redesign iPhone's, iPad's, iMac's, TV's or anything else that is mostly screen and border.


    I agree. The reasons to re-design are many. There is a commercial need to refresh in order not to stagnate (move backwards), but Apple has always emphasized the relationship the user has with their device on an emotional level. Design can and in Apple's case does, change that relationship fundamentally. The lighter, the thinner, the longer the battery lasts and the less cables are involved the less 'technological' and more personal a device becomes. 

Sign In or Register to comment.