Apple to show 'a little more' at Oct. 23 'iPad mini' event

Comments

• Reply 161 of 230

Is it just me that thinks the top of the Apple logo with the leaf looks like an arse with a turd coming out?

• Reply 162 of 230
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Is it just me that thinks the top of the Apple logo with the leaf looks like an arse with a turd coming out?

I'd be lying if I said that didn't cross my mind.
  • Reply 163 of 230
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Can people please quit calling this iPad Air. There is ZERO chance a smaller iPad is called iPad Air. If anything it will be called iPad Mini because that's what everyone in the media and on blogs/tech sites have been calling it and a name the general public might be familiar with.
  • Reply 164 of 230

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

If anything it will be called iPad Mini because that's what everyone in the media and on blogs/tech sites have been calling it and a name the general public might be familiar with.

Mixed messages.

• Reply 165 of 230
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Can people please quit calling this iPad Air. There is ZERO chance a smaller iPad is called iPad Air. If anything it will be called iPad Mini because that's what everyone in the media and on blogs/tech sites have been calling it and a name the general public might be familiar with.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

And if you can get it for cheap, maybe it should be called a StayFree Min-iPad?

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 166 of 230
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »

1) So long as you know what a person is referring to when they say iPad mini, iPad nano, or iPad Air it doesn't really matter how people refer an unannounced product.

2) iPad Air makes a lot of sense so you're right that they probably won't name it something that reasonable.
  • Reply 167 of 230
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,908member

Mispost.

• Reply 168 of 230
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) So long as you know what a person is referring to when they say iPad mini, iPad nano, or iPad Air it doesn't really matter how people refer an unannounced product.
    2) iPad Air makes a lot of sense so you're right that they probably won't name it something that reasonable.
    Why exactly does iPad Air make sense?
  • Reply 169 of 230
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

Will this Kotex Minipad, ehrll..., Ipad mini blends better than either Iphone5 or Galaxy S3?

I know that Iphone5 seems to blend faster than Galaxy S3. It's hard to believe that a more metallic object like Iphone5 will blend quicker than the cheapo plasticky Galaxy S3....

• Reply 170 of 230
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) I think those prices are way too high for a device that would seem to be designed to suck the air out of low end of the market. Anything higher would seem to point to the 9.7" iPad.

2) I still don't see how you cold get all the pixels in the iPad (3) using the high density displays of the iPhone 5 but 4.27x larger sheets and expect it to be anything but more expensive than those devices. Making tech smaller, lighter and more power efficient costs money! That hasn't changed.

1) The device that sucks the air out of the low end of the market would be the proposed $249 iPad Mini in the lineup.

2) I never said that it would have the same higher quality displays as the iPhone 5 or iPad 3.  I said the same panel as in the iPod Touch 5th Gen which is $100 to $150 cheaper than the price points I suggested.  Thus the retina iPad Mini is in fact more expensive than the smaller example.  You can argue that $100-$150 more is an insufficient but that's not cheaper than the touch.

• Reply 171 of 230
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Apple doesn't listen to what the general public says because if they did the iPhone 5 would have been calle... oh wait

But seriously, I don't think that they are listening anyone on this one, we have zero clue on what they are going to call it.

I think that Air sounds strange for an iPad, the MacBook was called that way because it was a lot slimmer and lighter.

Mini feels right to me, and it would allow them to use one of their naming conventions again.

And can someone explain to me how they could possibly price this at less than 300 $ when the iPod Touch is at 299$?

I think it will be 349$.

• Reply 172 of 230
    "Apple to show 'a little more' at Oct. 23 'iPad mini' event"
    [QUOTE]
    Less is more

Who strive - you don't know how the others strive
    To paint a little thing like that you smeared
    Carelessly passing with your robes afloat,-
    Yet do much less, so much less, Someone says,
    (I know his name, no matter) - so much less!
    Well, less is more, Lucrezia.

-- Robert Browning --
    [/QUOTE]

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/226400.html
  • Reply 173 of 230
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    mcrs wrote: »
    Will this Kotex Minipad, ehrll..., Ipad mini blends better than either Iphone5 or Galaxy S3?
    I know that Iphone5 seems to blend faster than Galaxy S3. It's hard to believe that a more metallic object like Iphone5 will blend quicker than the cheapo plasticky Galaxy S3....

A large part of the answer appears to be the density. The S3 seems to be bouncing off the blades while the iPhone is heavy enough that it stays low enough to get hit by the blades more frequently.
  • Reply 174 of 230
    clemynx wrote: »
    Apple doesn't listen to what the general public says because if they did the iPhone 5 would have been calle... oh wait

But seriously, I don't think that they are listening anyone on this one, we have zero clue on what they are going to call it.
    I think that Air sounds strange for an iPad, the MacBook was called that way because it was a lot slimmer and lighter.
    Mini feels right to me, and it would allow them to use one of their naming conventions again.

And can someone explain to me how they could possibly price this at less than 300 $ when the iPod Touch is at 299$?

I think it will be 349$.
    $349 for how many GB? Microsoft is selling 32GB Surface for $499 without the cover and people are bitching about it being too expensive.
  • Reply 175 of 230
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member

imageQuote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

A large part of the answer appears to be the density. The S3 seems to be bouncing off the blades while the iPhone is heavy enough that it stays low enough to get hit by the blades more frequently.

Here's a video comparison between the latest iPad and the Nexus 7 showing the damage from falls and submersion in water. I was pretty darn surprised at the water results. I think you will be too. (Hint: the Nexus7 may have a bit better build quality than you think)

• Reply 176 of 230
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

I had no idea that the phrase went back that far. Thanks.

It doesn't apply to learning or knowledge, however, and I think you and your grandchildren would agree, sitting around in that iPad circle.
  • Reply 177 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I had no idea that the phrase went back that far. Thanks.

It doesn't apply to learning or knowledge, however, and I think you and your grandchildren would agree, sitting around in that iPad circle.

Yeah, I was surprised too...  Originally I was going to attribute it to Bauhaus, but decided to look it up...  the Mies Van Der Rohe reference makes sense... but Robert Browning?

That reminded me of something I learned in HS English:

This:

Quote:

The year’s at the spring,

And day’s at the morn;

Morning’s at seven;

The hill-side’s dew-pearled;

The lark’s on the wing;

The snail’s on the thorn;

God’s in His heaven—

All’s right with the world!

Then this:

Quote:

That 'bird on the wing' thing...

is just some more of Browning's clowning!

Contrary to what you've heard...

The wing is really on the bird!

• Reply 178 of 230
    I'm holding out for the iPad Nano with 1/2" screen!
  • Reply 179 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

That would have been too easy.

And they had to stress the fact that they have a LITTLE more to show, hence smaller iPad.

That makes me doubt that we'll see anything else.

How about:

a little MORE

as in more than one thing to show!

Oh.  What's that?  Me think me hears Santa's sleigh bells...

• Reply 180 of 230

Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Oh.  What's that?  Me think me hears Santa's sleigh bells...

Phil Schiller is revealing that he is, in fact, Santa Claus.