Apple to show 'a little more' at Oct. 23 'iPad mini' event

Comments

• Reply 101 of 230
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    One question:

[B]Won't Google or Asus be able to sue Apple over trade dress if the mini-tablet ends up looking like the mockups? [/B]

I mean the mockups look identical to the Nexus 7 tablet, with the thick top and bottom and thin side bezels.

Just something I noticed, especially with the Samsung appeal pending ...
  • Reply 102 of 230
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,269member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

One question:

Won't Google or Asus be able to sue Apple over trade dress if the mini-tablet ends up looking like the mockups?

I mean the mockups look identical to the Nexus 7 tablet, with the thick top and bottom and thin side bezels.

Google has shown no propensity to sue anyone over IP. Apple could identically copy the Nexus 7 look with little danger that Google would sue over it IMHO. At the worst I think it would only be a bargaining chip in what I suspect is an on-going discussion over licensing.

• Reply 103 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

One question:

Won't Google or Asus be able to sue Apple over trade dress if the mini-tablet ends up looking like the mockups?

Just something I noticed, especially with the Samsung appeal pending ...

The mockups look kinda' like... an iPad!

• Reply 104 of 230
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member

First I'm 42 and my eyes are still great. (Nervously knocking on wood.)

I believe I'll toss out what I haven't seen mentioned here too much. I believe there will be an 8 gig iPad mini model and it will be exclusive to education. That will be the only iPad mini available at $250. They will be available only in black or white. Apple will also announce an iBooks textbook management system that is cloud based and allows schools to have students write, submit and turn in work via their iPads.

Apple will start offering the iPad mini available for CONSUMERS with a minimum of 16 gigs and an array of colors and the starting price will be $300.

It will be a win/win for Apple. They can claim they are keeping their margins and giving a better deal to volume discount customers. Consumers will pay more than they are paying for the Nexus 7 or Fire but they get a usable eco-system, COLORS, a rear and front facing camera (Nexus 7) and real support in terms of operating system upgrades, etc. for only $50 more. (16 gig Nexus 7 is $250.)

Apple fan boys will be somewhat disappointed on the specs because they will be rehashes of everything Apple already buys is massive quantities. Apple margins will thus be fine.

I will be buying one for Christmas. I've always thought the iPad was too big.

• Reply 105 of 230

People really latched onto this $249 number.

• Reply 106 of 230
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    boxmaccary wrote: »
    Wow ....
    So it's actually true, then.
    It's really gonna actually happen after all.
    After all of the haranguing Steve did against such a device.
    His desecration over at Apple continues unabated ....
    However, if it's good kit, then I'll get the 16GB/WiFi+4G one to hold me over till iPad 4 -- which is said
    to be coming a few months later than per usual next year.

No, Steve was in on this, had to be. How long are product lead times?

His statements were meant to throw competitors off the trail, to throw tablet buyers away from inferior little tablets and toward the iPad, and to throw posters at AI into fits.
  • Reply 107 of 230

Seriously hoping they drop iTunes 11.

• Reply 108 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by twosee View Post

My guess is a "little" iPad that does a whole lot "More" (than the competition??).

Of course, it might be the all-new iMac mini.... :(

• Reply 109 of 230

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

But as for "standard" textbooks, well, that's a different story. A well written textbook, electronic or otherwise, has the text and graphics (photo's, or whatever) in the proper spot in relation to the text. With a 10" iPad, that fairly easy to do, esp. with the retina model. But with a small screen, they will have to rethink it entirely. For younger children, regular texts are simpler, and can be reworked more easily, but more conventional textbooks, that are more information dense, will be more difficult. You can't simply allow the text and graphics to flow over the pages.

Yes. Yes. EXACTLY. No idea why people can't wrap their heads around this.

Originally Posted by nht View Post

Silent update on the store on the 23rd...perhaps an offhand remark at the event

iMac redesigns have always received reveals at events. 

Originally Posted by Rodent View Post

Apple stock is dropping…

What's your frigging point? News flash, the stock closed up $15.03. 

Originally Posted by chriscaskey View Post

Seriously hoping they drop iTunes 11.

Or whatever they call it.

• Reply 110 of 230
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

It happened to me at 45 and it happened fast.  As in "I got the iPhone 4 six month ago and it was awesome...now it's too small to read!"

• Reply 111 of 230
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Google has shown no propensity to sue anyone over IP....

This is bull.  They have done this several times.  

They've also been asked several times to make a statement to the effect that they wouldn't sue anyone (since they are making all the noise about other lawsuits), and they declined every time. 

• Reply 112 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What's your frigging point? News flash, the stock closed up $15.03. 

Or whatever they call it.

iTunes 12 image

• Reply 113 of 230

Quote:

I believe I'll toss out what I haven't seen mentioned here too much. I believe there will be an 8 gig iPad mini model and it will be exclusive to education. That will be the only iPad mini available at $250. They will be available only in black or white. Apple will also announce an iBooks textbook management system that is cloud based and allows schools to have students write, submit and turn in work via their iPads.

Apple will start offering the iPad mini available for CONSUMERS with a minimum of 16 gigs and an array of colors and the starting price will be $300.

It will be a win/win for Apple. They can claim they are keeping their margins and giving a better deal to volume discount customers. Consumers will pay more than they are paying for the Nexus 7 or Fire but they get a usable eco-system, COLORS, a rear and front facing camera (Nexus 7) and real support in terms of operating system upgrades, etc. for only $50 more. (16 gig Nexus 7 is $250.)

Apple fan boys will be somewhat disappointed on the specs because they will be rehashes of everything Apple already buys is massive quantities. Apple margins will thus be fine.

I couldn't have said it better myself, except don't be too fixated on the $250/$300 prices.  They may be slightly higher than that.

• Reply 114 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

These will be very helpful in a school system, particularly in the lower grades from K-3. I'm willing to bet that the companies writing professional iPad software, and there are a lot of them, will be busily adapting software for the smaller tablet. No doubt of that.

But as for "standard" textbooks, well, that's a different story. A well written textbook, electronic or otherwise, has the text and graphics (photo's, or whatever) in the proper spot in relation to the text. With a 10" iPad, that fairly easy to do, esp. with the retina model. But with a small screen, they will have to rethink it entirely. For younger children, regular texts are simpler, and can be reworked more easily, but more conventional textbooks, that are more information dense, will be more difficult. You can't simply allow the text and graphics to flow over the pages.

Quote:

Because it's not true.  The same amount of text and images will fit on a 7.85" 1024x768 iPad as a 9.7" 1024x768 iPad.  You do not need to change the layout for an app or an ebook between the iPad Mini and iPad 2.

For normal iPad apps (not games) devs target a screen size of 1024x768 points for UI layouts.  I don't know how many times that needs to be repeated and these apps work the same on the iPad 2 and the iPad 3.

This is no different between a saying that 1080x1920 content is laid out exactly the same whether the display device is 7" or 70" as long as they are both 1080x1920 displays.

Text, images, video all the same.  Where you choose to sit in relation to the display device may differ but everything else is the same.

• Reply 115 of 230

Quote:

If there is a redesign and not a spec bump.

• Reply 116 of 230

If there is a redesign and not a spec bump.

Then it doesn't sell, because that's inexcusable. It has also never happened.

• Reply 117 of 230

Quote:

Then it doesn't sell, because that's inexcusable. It has also never happened.

It has never happened?  Like the Mac Pro?

If they pushed out Ivy Bridge iMacs and Minis with the exact same design and pricing folks would buy them just for the CPU and GPU (assume 650Ms like the MBP where applicable) speed bump and USB3 support.

• Reply 118 of 230

It has never happened?  Like the Mac Pro?

Right. It has never happened.

If they pushed out Ivy Bridge iMacs and Minis with the exact same design and pricing folks would buy them just for the CPU and GPU (assume 650Ms like the MBP where applicable) speed bump and USB3 support.

It's more than just the specs. People are buying them now. The tiny fraction of us that know about rumors are waiting and will buy when we want to. But people don't buy Macs for the specs.

• Reply 119 of 230

Quote:

I agree with most of what you said, especially your assessment about education pricing.

My gut tells me that education model options will be limited to Black/Wifi/8GB for $199 or $249 for 16GB=2 SKUs for education market. No white. I don't think educators want to deal with white tablets or black/white options.

As for consumer models, I don't think we'll see anything otehr than black and white. I do think we will get Wifi + 2 cellular X 3 storage capacities X 2 "colors" =18 SKUs for the consumer models.

• Reply 120 of 230
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    nht wrote: »

Because it's not true.  The same amount of text and images will fit on a 7.85" 1024x768 iPad as a 9.7" 1024x768 iPad.  You do not need to change the layout for an app or an ebook between the iPad Mini and iPad 2.

For normal iPad apps (not games) devs target a screen size of 1024x768 points for UI layouts.  I don't know how many times that needs to be repeated and these apps work the same on the iPad 2 and the iPad 3.

This is no different between a saying that 1080x1920 content is laid out exactly the same whether the display device is 7" or 70" as long as they are both 1080x1920 displays.

Text, images, video all the same.  Where you choose to sit in relation to the display device may differ but everything else is the same.

You have to understand that there are a number of people who are adamantly opposed to Apple releasing a smaller iPad (or, in fact, any product that said person doesn't agree with) and will come up with any bizarre excuse as to why it doesn't make sense. After their excuses are shot down, they'll come up with more - with no regard for reality or logic.