Samsung plans to terminate LCD supply contract with Apple

Comments

• Reply 41 of 169

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I am absolutely stunned they would do this.  I mean, it's not as if Apple has done anything to them.  

Samsung is doomed.  LOL!!

• Reply 42 of 169

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

I've looked a lot into this issue.

However, aside from some initial roll outs, I haven't seen any issues with the LGs. Currently my MacBook is 2 months old and I test it about an hour at a time with NO IR.

additionally. I use my MacBook some 10 hours a day, often with problems displayed for long periods of time.

So maybe it was an issue at launch but none here.

I even tested a LG at bestbuy. Good to go

I received 3 replacement repair LG displays and 4 brand new out of the box rMBP that I demonstrated IR to the store manager AS SOON AS I OPENED THEM.

Then the manager started looking up the display manufacturers in his store system and managed to find me a Samsung with no IR. To this day, all the in-store rMBP (3 stores near me and all LG) still show horrific IR.

There is something wrong with LG panels but Apple isn't admitting to it.

• Reply 43 of 169

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This sounds like sour grapes to me. By the description, Apple has already moved most of their business away from Samsung. Seems like Samsung is just slamming the door and yelling about it after the fact.

*sigh*  Is that why Apple is buying $12B worth of components from Samsung, from $7+B last year?   because Apple has already moved most of their business away from Samsung?

• Reply 44 of 169
    This article should be titled: "Samsung to ship less displays to Apple after they see orders from the iPhone maker drop every quarter of 2012"

Vuck Samsuck.
  • Reply 45 of 169
    Sometimes I am worried!

Samsung makes this low class PR and finds people who seams to remember and believe this and they tell it around in a bar after 3 beer and other people start to believe it too!

Just heard it yesterday a complete mix up of turned around informations and blunt lies and everybody just took it as the truth! No chance to argument against it - No win possible!

Propaganda is important part of war! May be Apple has to better recognize this fact !

• Reply 46 of 169

Originally Posted by bareimage View Post

Samsung has best display technology. This is really bad for Apple.

Mmm… I question both of these.

• Reply 47 of 169

Quote:

Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

snip... One thing I know is that Apple won't compete with Samsung on Washer/Dryer combos.

I suppose Samescum will put a positive "spin" on that  ;~)

• Reply 48 of 169
    haar wrote: »
    good luck SAMSUNG, that might be the worst mistake you have made...

No, their worst mistake was blatantly ripping off the iPhone, which led Apple to start cutting ties and now they say they're stopping working with Apple as if they had any say or choice in the matter. There are some delusional idiots running Samsuck.
  • Reply 49 of 169
    The fact is, Samsung's panels for smaller devices ranging up to the size of laptops are better than the competition. This is not good news.

Perhaps Apple can spend some of that huge cash pile on finally bringing up their percentage of R&D spending to industry-wide averages. Maybe that would help Sharp and LG provide quality components.
  • Reply 50 of 169
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Amazon must realize they are taking a lot of risk by continuing to deal with these snakes. I would not be surprised if they are looking
    for alternate suppliers for their screens as well.
  • Reply 51 of 169

Originally Posted by Fotoformat View Post

I suppose Samescum will put a positive "spin" on that  ;~)

Until someone else in that market draws attention to Samsung's copying of their designs.

• Reply 52 of 169

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I hope Apple takes a dump all over Samsung.  Apple practically jump-starts Samsung's mobile business and Apple gets back-stabbed for its pains.  I just hope that Apple is able to get the quality and production rates from other companies when it comes to displays.  I guess Samsung is very happy that its mobile business is doing so well and they don't need Apple's business anymore.

Samsung has been making mobile devices for at least a full decade longer than Apple and has sizable 3G/LTE patent pools. Samsung wasn't even a major player in the US smartphone market until last year - HTC was.

I'm not quite sure how Apple is going to work around this - there is really nobody out there big or reliable to enough to meet Apple's demand. 

• Reply 53 of 169

'kaioslider' is correct.  Apple invested $100MM into Samsung to lead in the LCD space in 1999.  (Is that a picture of Steve Jobs happy with Samsung?  Those were the days - See here...)

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/lcdpanel/newsView.do?news_id=364

Apple, Foxconn and others have been pouring Billions into Sharp (and others?) for the next generation of need in LCD and their bets are well placed.  Samsung can keep the flexible and LED market.

As for the "Firewall", yes 'Tulkas'; there never really was a "Firewall".  How could Apple trust that there was a "Firewall" when it is proven that Apple cannot trust Samsung as a whole.

What people/investors miss is the fact that the value of the commodity components (i.e. LCD, etc.) is not in the hardware specs but in the software, apps and media.  When Apple does go after the Chinese and 'last mile' markets with cheaper commodity hardware, the value and healthy margin will still be there.  Samsung will be there too with their cheaper hardware and BADA, not Android as Android is becoming too encumbered by litigation.  Still, it is easy to see in the culture of Samsung that they too will become a secondary player and not dominant like Sony was/is.

The Samsung announcement should have read, "Samsung will no longer be a supplier of any components to Apple by the end of 2014."  Flash has been pulled away, LCD is being phased out and SoC chip manufacturing will most likely end in 2014.

So it ends a 15 year relationship, 1999-2014.  It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom (Apple), it was the age of foolishness (Samsung).

• Reply 54 of 169
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

So, who owns the IP to the Retina display?

• Reply 55 of 169

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

So much for the "firewall".

Well, Apple wasn't just going after Samsung Mobile..  It was going after Samsung Electronics, as a whole.. 

• Reply 56 of 169
    However the consumer won't, Sharp and LG have been riddled with quality issues. There still are issues with LG's Retina display for the macbook. Samsung's have none. Every launch they've been there to pick up the slack. I'm all for getting away but it will be very interesting to see launches go moving forward. 

I'm sure Sharp and LG will improve as they will be making more displays. I'm sure Liesung had to go through the quality process also. If they are smart, they will step up to the challange and prove what they can do. This could result in even more lost sales for Lacksung in the future when they take share away in other products too.
  • Reply 57 of 169

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary54 View Post

re: Retina display. There is nothing Apple can do to keep Samsung from cannibalizing technology they already have their hands on. They have a proven track record on that score. The only thing cutting ties with them will do is force them to reverse engineer on their own instead of handing it to them on a silver platter.

Apple should have cut them off long ago.

Why do you and others comment as if Tim Cook is an idiot? Recent events clearly show that Apple couldn't have cut them off if they wanted to. Other companies are either struggling to or finally getting up to the capability to produce what Apple needs. This is what Samsung is counting on - that other suppliers cannot fill their void. That risk clearly remains.

• Reply 58 of 169
    tooltalk wrote: »
    Samsung has been making mobile devices for at least a full decade longer than Apple and has sizable 3G/LTE patent pools. Samsung wasn't even a major player in the US smartphone market until last year - HTC was.

I'm not quite sure how Apple is going to work around this - there is really nobody out there big or reliable to enough to meet Apple's demand. 

So? Microsoft and IBM used to be giants too.
  • Reply 59 of 169

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

This is what Samsung is counting on - that other suppliers cannot fill their void. That risk clearly remains.

That risk to them, you mean?

• Reply 60 of 169

Quote:

Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

So, who owns the IP to the Retina display?

Retina Display itself is not an invention per se. It's the manufacturing method. Apple and Samsung co-developed it, and the rights are owned by Apple. But there are alternatives methods of production as the IP pertains to specific steps rather than manufacturing high PPI LCDs in general.