Samsung plans to terminate LCD supply contract with Apple

Comments

• Reply 101 of 169

I have to disagree. I have purchased Macbook Pro Retina. It had a lot of the issues 

1. Dead pixels

2. Image retention

3. Color uniformity

This was really strange for me, since three years ago, it was LG that had best IPS display...

• Reply 102 of 169

I have to disagree. I have purchased Macbook Pro Retina. It had a lot of the issues 

1. Dead pixels

2. Image retention

3. Color uniformity

This was really strange for me, since three years ago, it was LG that had best IPS display...

• Reply 103 of 169

Hey look, the tool is back with more BS numbers just like the last thread.

Why are you comparing Apple's sales to all of Samsung Electronics when the component division makes up a much smaller piece of that pie?

Oh yeah, it's more spin so you can try to make Apple's dumping Samsung seem like a minor issue that Samsung will simply shrug off.

• Reply 104 of 169

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

*sigh*  Is that why Apple is buying $12B worth of components from Samsung, from $7+B last year?   because Apple has already moved most of their business away from Samsung?

tool's response to me from another thread when I talked about Apple's "reported" $9.7B contract for 2012.

"You are now essentially making sh*t up and cherry picking data to support your nonsensical fanboyism. So why cite/compare unconfirmed component contract figure for unfinished fiscal 2012 sales"

So you said my $9.7B number was BS because it was "unconfirmed" yet you use the "projected" number of $12B to try and prove a point in this thread? So are so full of BS it's not even funny. Did you think nobody would remember your previous posts and call you on it?

• Reply 105 of 169

Build your own stuff Apple. Actually make something instead of just designing things. What could Apple do with one-hundred-billion dollars? It could create all of the factories it needed in the USA and control them with total secrecy. How much has Apple lost to other companies copying products? If Apple had manufactured all of their own products then that copying would have been minimized. The money lost could have gone into USA based factories and employees.

• Reply 106 of 169
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzN1337c0d3r View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

There is no way to use the in-store system to find out which display is in each box. The manufacturing system, yes, the sales system, no.

Yes there is. Most store managers won't admit to you such a system exists. Persistence matters in this case. I visited no less than 4 Apple stores in Houston complaining to the most senior manager on duty until I got my Samsung rMBP.

BTW, the only replacement display for a rMBP right now that exists in the system is 661-7171 and it's GUARANTEED to be a Samsung display.

I was told the opposite when I asked the manager at my Apple Store. There is apparently another way to be guaranteed a Samsung LCD and that is to buy the top of the line model which is what I did.

• Reply 107 of 169
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Screw Samsung. I'd rather my stock took a short term hit because of supply issues rather than apple pay these scumbags another dime!

What about a long term hit?

• Reply 108 of 169

Quote:

Originally Posted by Srice View Post

Until Moto or HTC or some other Android manufacturer creates the next "must have" Android phone -- then all of a sudden Samsung will have a mountain of displays and nobody to sell them to.  /thermonuclear 

The next must-have Android phone (or WinMo phone) will have a Samsung display, no matter whose name is on the phone, in that case.

• Reply 109 of 169

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

From what I understand Apple's investment in Samsung was pretty insignificant, $100M.   You have to remember that Samsung routinely spends billions to build / upgrade their manufacturing plants - or $41B in 2012 alone.

$41B? It's not quite that high.

• Reply 110 of 169
    *tiny violin for Samsung.

You don't give hundreds of millions of business to your supplier who's ripping you off.

They can keep selling their big ass phones.

Meanwhile, Sharp and LG will be thankful for the business.

Companies rise and fall. Those money grabbing 'quick buck' back stabbers are going to learn the hard way after messing wit teh Apple.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 111 of 169

Just one look at the iPhone keynote introduction under Jobs showed the gulf between 'smart crap' phones as they were and the jesus iPhone.  Then the copy cats came.  Still pretending their iPhones.

The iPhone 5(!) is a class product.  Killer software with killer hardware.  And an unmatched ecosystem.  ...and stunning stores to sell the Apple experience.

Samsung and concrete boots comes to mind.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 112 of 169

Quote:

Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

What is Apple's and Samsung's contract? Can Samsung unilaterally breach the contract with Apple? Didn't Apple pour money into Samsung just so it could build Apple products? Depending on these answers, this action could the start of lawsuits of death between these companies.

Contracts like these have out clauses written into them.  Lawsuit not required.  Whatever the penalty is for exiting will be very clear.  But of course the public will never know what it was.

• Reply 113 of 169

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmc54 View Post

Talk about biting off your nose to spite your face!!

It seems that correct usage of phrases like these really does help justify the money spent by some on education.

• Reply 114 of 169
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    oflife wrote: »
    Just as Apple have purchased a few companies to give them control over the design and fabrication of their CPUs, so they may have to purchase or take a controlling stake in a display vendor - and LG, whose handset division is having a hard time being taken seriously today, may be ideal. LG could also embed iOS into their TVs.
    With flexible displays the next big thing, and Samsung already way ahead on this, if Apple are unable to source such technology, they must produce it using any 3rd party IP or their own ideas that don't breach any of Samsung's display patents.

Use Sony.
  • Reply 115 of 169
    cwscws Posts: 59member
    The headline of this article has it backwards. Apple has dumped Samsung as a supplier. Since when does a supplier dump a customer? Samsung is simply announcing that Apple is in the process of reducing its purchases with a view toward eventually eliminating Samsung as a supplier altogether. The notion that the decision to do this was Samsung's is ludicrous.
  • Reply 116 of 169
    gazoobee wrote: »
    This is pure BS.  

What you are forgetting is that Apple has been dumping money by the bucketload on Sharp and Panasonic (but mostly Sharp) for years now, as has Apple's partner Foxconn who actually invested huge amounts in the company itself.  Sharp even announced last year that it was getting out of the midrange screen business and focussing on TV panels above 60" and small tablet and phone screens.  Both Sharp and Panasonic are going through contortions trying to get Apple's business and will give them a better price than Samsung for the same items.  

Sharp is also already *close* to being a wholly owned subsidiary of Apple and Foxconn, and probably will be wowing the entire market with those new IGZO screens this year or next which seem far and away better than anything Samsung makes already.  Apple will end up with yet another exclusive supplier giving them exclusive access to parts that no one else can get.  
    Well said!
  • Reply 117 of 169
    Build your own stuff Apple. Actually make something instead of just designing things. What could Apple do with one-hundred-billion dollars? It could create all of the factories it needed in the USA and control them with total secrecy. How much has Apple lost to other companies copying products? If Apple had manufactured all of their own products then that copying would have been minimized. The money lost could have gone into USA based factories and employees.

Totally impractical, but doable. They'd have full QA control of the whole process start to finish. Also, definitely would cut down on all these leaks we've been seeing lately.

Does Apple actually manufacture anything themselves? Not trying to troll, I know that's pretty much the industry standard... just wondering.

I would gladly pay an extra 10% if their stuff said "Designed and Manufactured in California" on the back. Hell, they could even eat that 10% and still be the most profitable company in the world.
  • Reply 118 of 169
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    In a way it's too bad because Samsung has been able to produce much better quality — LG displays that Apple funded — displays at greater yields. I hope quality doesn't go down with this transition.
  • Reply 119 of 169

Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

What could Apple do with one-hundred-billion dollars? It could create all of the factories it needed in the USA and control them with total secrecy. How much has Apple lost to other companies copying products? If Apple had manufactured all of their own products then that copying would have been minimized. The money lost could have gone into USA based factories and employees.

You can't throw money at a problem and expect it to go away. You can't actually expect "total" secrecy, or even anything better than what we have now, simply because it's somewhere else. Pre-release secrecy not only wouldn't stop product copying, it is neither the primary factor in the copying nor is it responsible for any meaningful portion of the stolen sales from said copying. No idea why that came up. 

US employees will leak more than anyone else. We actually care about Apple. Unless they move to fully automated factories with zero human intervention beyond highly-skilled workers designing and repairing the robots used to assemble the products, leaks will be as or more prevalent here as anywhere else.

• Reply 120 of 169
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

One of the trade papers went a little further in explaining why Samsung won't be renewing the contract. They feel Apple's LCD business is no longer a cash-generator with the strict supply-chain stocking requirements Mr. Cook and company have in place, so it's not worth their while.