Images of alleged 'iPad 4' screen show larger hole for FaceTime camera

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Coming just hours ahead of a special event at which Apple is expected to unveil a 7.85-inch "iPad mini," photos show what is claimed to be the screen of an as-yet-unannounced full-size iPad, revealing a larger hole for the front-facing camera.

iPad Screen Assembly
Source: Apple.pro via BGR

The images come from Apple.pro (via BGR), with the source claiming to have obtained the front assembly for what it calls the "iPad 4," which purportedly boasts an optically-bonded display and enlarged FaceTime camera.

AppleInsider cannot verify the legitimacy of the images, and offers the information below for purposes of discussion only.

Comparing the current third-generation iPad's dipsly assembly with that of the reportedly revamped version, the most glaring difference is the size of the cutout meant to house the front-facing camera. This could suggest a larger sensor will be implemented in an upcoming iteration of Apple's 9.7-inch iPad, a space for enhanced optics, or both.

It should be noted that the current iPad's FaceTime camera is a 0.3-megapixel unit, while the recently released iPhone 5 and fifth-generation iPod touch use a 1.2-megapixel FaceTime HD component.

In addition to the possible FaceTime sensor change, the source said the display will be optically bonded to the front glass, akin to the technology used in Microsoft's Surface tablet, which will reduce glare and slim down the overall size of the device.

iPad Optical Bonding

It is not clear if the reportedly leaked part is bound for a fourth-generation iPad or a rumored refresh of the current-generation tablet that could bring Lightning connectivity, updated internals and wider 4G LTE support as seen in the iPhone 5.

Apple is expected to unveil the so-called "iPad mini" at a special event tomorrow, possibly alongside a tweaked third-generation iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38

If this is true, it makes sense that the front-facing camera on a tablet should be a very good one because of teleconferencing applications.

• Reply 2 of 38
    If Apple releases a new FULL SIZED iPad, I'm gonna be really pissed.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    If Apple releases a new FULL SIZED iPad. I'm gonna be really happy!
  • Reply 4 of 38

Originally Posted by ttollerton View Post

Whyzzat?

• Reply 5 of 38
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Not This

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic Caterina View Post

This

I don't care that much- I'd love the mini and to get rid of my iPad 2, so a new full-sized iPad means nothing to me personally, but it would be hilarious if it happened just before the Surface is released.  They are biting their nails over at MS about this announcement tomorrow.

I'm hoping for a Retina iPad 4 w/ A6X (or something with the graphical oomph to push out the pixels) and better components all the way around- better cameras, dual band wifi, lightning, better 4G, better LED, thinner/lighter, aluminum look (just like the gorgeous iPhone)- etc.  Oooh... one can hope.

• Reply 6 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Not This

This

I don't care that much- I'd love the mini and to get rid of my iPad 2, so a new full-sized iPad means nothing to me personally, but it would be hilarious if it happened just before the Surface is released.  They are biting their nails over at MS about this announcement tomorrow.

I'm hoping for a Retina iPad 4 w/ A6X (or something with the graphical oomph to push out the pixels) and better components all the way around- better cameras, dual band wifi, lightning, better 4G, better LED, thinner/lighter, aluminum look (just like the gorgeous iPhone)- etc.  Oooh... one can hope.

It would be cool & surprising if Apple did release the iPad 4 tomorrow. If they did that, what the hell are they going to do for the spring keynote?

• Reply 7 of 38

Originally Posted by Shameer Mulji View Post

It would be cool & surprising if Apple did release the iPad 4 tomorrow. If they did that, what the hell are they going to do for the spring keynote?

In that scenario, what spring keynote? There's no reason to have one otherwise. These aren't government holidays; they're not set, expected, or assumed if a product is moved.

• Reply 8 of 38

Seconded as an owner of the "new ipad". It does not make my device any less useful (and in fact, by strengthening Apple's position in the market it makes it more useful by encouraging even more devs to develop for the ipad).

I am very happy with the ipad I own and will be happier if I know Apple is improving them even faster than earlier which will mean my next ipad purchase will be even better than it would have been otherwise.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    In that scenario, what spring keynote? There's no reason to have one otherwise. These aren't government holidays; they're not set, expected, or assumed if a product is moved.

I think Apple will move to an Intel like tick-tock strategy. Major improvements to the ipad every spring with minor feature adds in the fall. Same with the iPhone. Major features in fall, with minor adds in the spring. This will help them compete better with the competition which and better combat the drop off in sales in the quarter prior to a new release.
  • Reply 10 of 38

It would make my day to see the Surface behind the spec curve before it is even released. Go Apple!!!

Once more MS skates to where the puck used to be...

• Reply 11 of 38
    Holy iPad!
  • Reply 12 of 38

Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

I think Apple will move to an Intel like tick-tock strategy. Major improvements to the ipad every spring with minor feature adds in the fall. Same with the iPhone.

Is there any evidence to suggest having a twice yearly iPad would be a good idea? It sells ludicrously well even 11 months later.

And the iPhone? REALLY?

• Reply 13 of 38
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

When does the spec war end? Just like desktops and laptops the speed of the cpu will eventually become a minor selling point as all devices will be fast enough, Then it is a matter of mind share as to which platform has the better features and usability /ecosystem. So far Apple has the advantage.

• Reply 14 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Now that you brought it up, maybe Apple events should be government holidays. image

• Reply 15 of 38

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Then it is a matter of mind share as to which platform has the better features and usability /ecosystem. So far Apple has the advantage.

And is it looking like anyone else is going to beat them anytime soon? image

• Reply 16 of 38

Well if there's a 4th gen iPad announced tomorrow I'll just upgraded and enjoy it, no big deal since I've owned my 3rd gen since launch. If they do that I suppose it's more likely that the iPad mini will have an A6 as well perhaps? It's sorta like the old feeling of guessing what Santa is going to bring you for Christmas in a way. Just... you're the one buying the gifts for yourself.

• Reply 17 of 38
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Or

Now that you brought it up, maybe Apple events should be government holidays. image

Yep I'm taking the morning off tomorrow.

• Reply 18 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And is it looking like anyone else is going to beat them anytime soon? image

I still wouldn't underestimate or count out MS Surface.  There are a lot of people out there that want a mobile device that can run tablet apps and Office.  Just to give you an example of the the potential here's ground-up rewrite of Skype for Windows RT / Windows 8.  It's written as a Metro app;

http://bgr.com/gallery/skype-windows-8/

It looks very nice.  If developers can crank out Metro apps that are that level of quality then MS Surface can be successful.

• Reply 19 of 38
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    Maybe Apple has a new device on the way (not a tv, something else). This may cause the iPad to move to fall and this new device will be in spring.
  • Reply 20 of 38

Quote:

What, you are not happy with your New iPad?

I am very satisfied with most elements of the new iPad and so what if a new one comes out that is a bit better, it was going to happen sometime. I get it that is nice to have a new and shiny thing but just because a new model comes out, what does it really matter?

On the front facing camera, yes I can see that as being an improvement worth making. The current camera is functional but the colours are way off, everything has a yellowish tinge. In fact the camera on my sons touch mk4 is considerably better in real world use.