Apple's new Fusion Drive debuts in latest iMacs, Mac minis

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 116

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I believe the minimum you can order is 128GB with a maximum size of 768GB. I assume they'll have at least one other size in between but 128, 256, 512 and 768 seem more likely.

No, I meant the SSD part of the Fusion drive.

• Reply 102 of 116

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I believe the minimum you can order is 128GB with a maximum size of 768GB. I assume they'll have at least one other size in between but 128, 256, 512 and 768 seem more likely.

And no, the configure option says "or 768GB SSD". no mention of "up to 768GB"

• Reply 103 of 116
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    audiomac wrote: »
    No, I meant the SSD part of the Fusion drive.

I'm not following. It's OS software that will create a single logical drive from an SSD+HDD. I think you can go from 128GB-768GB on the SSD and 1TB-3TB on the HDD. There is no separate SSD for the Fusion Drive as it's whatever SSD you choose with your iMac purchase.
  • Reply 104 of 116
    audiomac wrote: »
    And no, the configure option says "or 768GB SSD". no mention of "up to 768GB"

Interesting. "Configurable to 3TB hard drive, 1TB or 3TB Fusion Drive, or 768GB of flash storage." The wording is suspect as 'to' can refer to an upper limit. In the past they've offered different ranges of drive but perhaps they've found that people only buy the min and max options anyway. I'll heck out the keynote again...

edit: You're right. Fusion only comes as 128GB, it's if it you only get the SSD you can get up to 768GB. That's interesting as I'd think Apple would want to sell people a larger SSD if possible and I'm sure many will think that 128GB isn't enough yet I'm still less than 50% usage on my 80GB SSD, which I pair with a 1TB HDD.
  • Reply 105 of 116
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    solipsismx wrote:
    I'd think Apple would want to sell people a larger SSD if possible and I'm sure many will think that 128GB isn't enough yet I'm still less than 50% usage on my 80GB SSD, which I pair with a 1TB HDD.

You wouldn't really need more than 128GB with Fusion as it mirrors the data on the SSD. If you had 768GB with a 1TB HDD, it would pretty much make the HDD redundant and defeats the cost advantage of the setup. With the 3TB it might make sense but not much reason for Apple to offer it.

I wonder if it will be possible to setup with a 3rd party SSD or if Apple's software will require a 128GB blade drive.
  • Reply 106 of 116
    Marvin wrote: »
    I wonder if it will be possible to setup with a 3rd party SSD or if Apple's software will require a 128GB blade drive.

I sure hope so.
  • Reply 107 of 116
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    gary54 wrote: »
    If you are referring to me, I build my own thanks.

I used to do the same, but I now find the notion that people "build" their own computers hilarious. It's just screwing together half a dozen off the shelf components, connecting a few cables and installing an OS. It's not exactly an avenue for craftsmanship unless you're into metal work.

I used to want to make my own *TX case design out of machined aluminum, but I quickly realized how much work that would take and let it go.

Anyways, you're posting here, complaining about a new feature Apple is adding, but you don't sound like someone that's going to buy any Apple products anyway. So, let's make it direct: why the heck are you here?
  • Reply 108 of 116
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

You wouldn't really need more than 128GB with Fusion as it mirrors the data on the SSD. If you had 768GB with a 1TB HDD, it would pretty much make the HDD redundant and defeats the cost advantage of the setup. With the 3TB it might make sense but not much reason for Apple to offer it.

Fusion doesn't mirror the data. It's moved from the HDD to the SSD.

• Reply 109 of 116
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    jll wrote:

Oh yeah, that's what the Anandtech article says. You get the sum of both storage so in that case, a bigger SSD would be beneficial.

I'm not a fan of the computer doing copies and deletes in the background - duplicates I'm ok with - but I suppose verifying the write should be secure enough.
  • Reply 110 of 116

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Oh the memories ... I agree we thought nothing of the price of drives back then. It was just so amazing not to need tape! Hey, were you ever tempted by a Cube? I saw a demo of their wavelet technology and my draw dropped then I saw the price and it dropped again. Then I went back to my suite of Media 100 stations and waited for rendering...

I remember buying my first HD.  Loud as heck, slow as a turtle and all mine for a sweet $500 (or something like that).

For a hefty, huge, enormous 20MB.  Yep: M, not G.

- - - - - -

The Fusion pulls in at $250.

Any guesses as to what Apple will ask for the 768GB flash drive?  $800?  More?

• Reply 111 of 116
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I am sure the auto system Apple have is going to be fantastic for many however there are some pretty obvious limitations for video when capturing long HD video clips and editing them in a system that only has a 128 GIG SSD and a 5400 rpm HDD no matter how clever the AI is at where data goes. Obviously in a Mac Pro I used RAID and 7200 RPM drives but more and more folks are using iMacs and MacBook Pros with FCPro X including myself and that's my concern for this. For that a custom set up seems better suited. I think this drive is excellent for average users. The truth of course is this is a stop gap until 1 and 2 TB SSDs are $100 a TB and what would be really nice ... have a at least one that's hot swappable (i.e. in addition to the system boot drive.).

I finally see your point. I guess I agree, given the current state of the art and your usage profile. When used to stream multiple HD videos through an editing workflow the Fusion Drive would not be as good as the traditional external RAID or a big, expensive SSD. And I see why one would want to have all that self-contained in the internal iMac drive for a reasonable price.

For the vast majority of us who are not doing large project FCP work on our iMacs often enough for this to be a major problem, the Fusion Drive is a huge improvement. I think of my typical 10GB of RAW files from a photo shoot, which then spawn maybe 20GB of PSD files all managed in Adobe Lightroom, this would all fit nicely into the 128GB high-speed SSD portion of the Fusion Drive while I work on it. Then it would eventually be moved off the SSD (automatically!) as my next big project replaces it.

I kind of feel bad because I will likely be getting a Retina MBP for my next Mac so I'll completely miss the boat on this tech! I'll be manually removing completed files like it's the stone age or something! But I need the mobility as I find myself doing more on-site freelancing these days and I oftentimes don't care for the Mac I am provided, and care even less for copying to & from my USB HDD at the beginning & end of each day's work.

• Reply 112 of 116
    jll wrote: »

...save for the 4GB cache on the SSD.
  • Reply 113 of 116
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

That brings up some VERY interesting possibilities if you could empty your optical bay, or even merge an external thunderbolt SSD option/platter solution into a custom built 'fusion' drive. 

• Reply 114 of 116

Speed tests are beginning to come out.

Looks nice.

• Reply 115 of 116

Awesome! Thanks. Now
  • Reply 116 of 116

Have a Mac mini on order that should arrive any day now...  

BTO: 2.6Ghz, 16GB, 1TB Fusion

Got it primarily as a rendering machine and for burning BluRay (send jobs to it and let in churn away while I can still work on my main machine).  If it performs well, I will add another one in a stack formation.  Access is by screen sharing so no cables (it can also serve as a backup machine driving a Cintiq).

Will post some results as soon as I can.